[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is New Jersey used as a comedic punching bag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 17
Why is New Jersey used as a comedic punching bag?
>>
>>83299438
cause they'll call you racist if you make fun of Detroit
>>
>>83299438
You mustve never been to jersey, sugarfag
>>
>>83299481
No they won't.
>>
>>83299438

Maybe people would care if the entire state wasn't a suburb of two different cities
>>
LIVING HERE IN JERSEY
>>
>>83299511
Yes they will. Making Detroit jokes is anti-progressive, but Jersey is full of white people.
>>
Is there there a cape hero for Jersey?
>>
File: Metalgear-RULES_OF_NATURE.jpg (179 KB, 960x686) Image search: [Google]
Metalgear-RULES_OF_NATURE.jpg
179 KB, 960x686
>>83299535
I REALIZE
>>
>>83299535
FIGHTING VILLAINS FROM AFAR
>>
>>83299594
YA GOTTA FIND FIRST GEAR
>>
>>83299438
because Rebecca is from Delaware
>>
>>83299569
Go away.
>>
>>83299620
A YOUNG WARTHOOOOOOOG
>>
>>83299583
People believe Gotham is based off of New Jersey.
>>
New Jersey's produced a lot of people who have found work in the entertainment industry, and it's a very Jersey thing to take the piss out of Jersey.

But then people who weren't from Jersey got in on it, and the joke took a life of its own. Also helps that New Yorkers, who also have a huge influence on the entertainment industry, think that North Jersey is representative of the whole state, instead of just being the worst part of it.
>>
>>83299583
>>
>>83299635
I'm here to stay.
>>
>>83299656
its positioned where jersey would be, but feels way more chicago.
>>
Because it's not a joke, NJ really is a shithole
>>
>>83299438
Because Americucks are uncreative with jokes.
>>
>>83299658

Ms. Marvel is set on Jersey? Sauce? I don't read the comics so...
>>
>>83299657
What is the rest of the state like? What are some examples of the good areas?
>>
I've lived in NJ my whole life, I still don't have a concise answer. Could be the stereotype of "smogland & douchepeople", likely the newest catalyst was The Jersey Shore shitshow(which were assholes shipped in state soecifically for the show). I've lived in pretty clean suburbia my whole life, hour drive from philly and nyc whenever i want, half hour from Six Flags and the beach. Shit's pretty tight.
>>
File: ivnw7kk5kxyy5wd1boyn.png (1 MB, 800x805) Image search: [Google]
ivnw7kk5kxyy5wd1boyn.png
1 MB, 800x805
>>83299751
>>
>>83299751
>Sauce
What are you asking for exactly? You know the source, the fucking comic, what other source do you want?
>>
If you want a real shit hole, just look at east st louis.
>>
>>83299438
Because they don't have the means to fight back.
>>
>>83299788
Sounds like a good location. What's the cost of living like?
>>
>>83299656
>>83299685

It was originally supposed to be the bad parts of NYC while Metropolis was the good parts. But over time it has started to look way more like Chicago or Pittsburgh
>>
File: paulie pepe.png (645 KB, 830x1262) Image search: [Google]
paulie pepe.png
645 KB, 830x1262
>>83299438
WOKE UP THIS MORNING

GOT YOURSELF A GUN
>>
Because money says if you're not from Jersey your only experience will have been the shittiest parts.
If you're passing through, you'll probably just be on the shitty turnpike full of aggressive drivers, taken through one of the cities which are either horrible ghettos or smell like piss and oil.
If you haven't even been, you'll probably only know it from tv shows about horrible Italians.
Every tv show about Jersey is about a Horrible Italian.
Except Megas.
>>
File: 1464564123302.jpg (174 KB, 540x586) Image search: [Google]
1464564123302.jpg
174 KB, 540x586
>northern """""""cities"""""""
>>
>>83299438

Because is the most densely populated of the 50 United States, and second-wealthiest U.S. state by median household income as of 2014.

All cartoons writers hate cities and always push poor suburbs and small population settings.
>>
What's a largely Irish large city in American and is it shit?
>>
>>83299809

Something like >>83299807 you cunt. What part of "I don't read the comic" do you not understand?
>>
>>83299481
Maybe they wanted to show a city that's actually functional.
>>
I'll quit making fun of it when I need a map instead of following it's smell whenever I need to go there.
>>
File: 1462998663614.jpg (71 KB, 670x409) Image search: [Google]
1462998663614.jpg
71 KB, 670x409
>>83299919
WHAT DID I SAY ABOUT SHITPOSTING ON /co/?!
>>
>>83299438
Have you ever been to Jersey?
>>
>>83299658
He said hero. Not pandering.
>>
>>83299620
IN YOUR GIANT ROBOT CAR
>>
>>83300038

This, fix your shit and maybe people won't laugh at you
>>
>>83299850

Pittsburgh's actually got a fairly low rate of violent crime for its size.

You're probably thinking of Philly.
>>
>>83299657
>But then people who weren't from Jersey got in on it, and the joke took a life of its own. Also helps that New Yorkers, who also have a huge influence on the entertainment industry, think that North Jersey is representative of the whole state, instead of just being the worst part of it.

That's not South Jersey anon
>>
>>83299840
Depends on the area. The closer you are to any city(most of them suck compared to philly and nyc) and the shore it gets pretty unattainable. I'm in central jersey and the best prices are the aparments which are mostly hispanic families(which are chill af, imagine similar to the apartments you see in the back of worldstar fight videos, except minus the crazy black people). Sales tax is 7% which kinda sucks, but at long as you arent retail/burgerflipping experience lvl, employers are sympathetic and decent.
>>
>>83300050
Fuck off.
>>
>>83300047
No I live in comfy cozy California.
>>
>>83300111
>Sales tax is 7%
Outrageous.
>>
>>83300103

Anywhere that uses the phrase "Taylor Ham" is basically wasteland
>>
>>83300092
meant more of the style of the art, way more mills and chemical manufacturers
>>
>>83300175
You're in New England, it's not much better anywhere. You can go to delaware where it's 0%, but if you think NJ is just a crossroads to more interesting states, delaware makes jersey look like LA.
>>
>>83300050
but he's right. even look at the image posted, it looks like she's standing on an awning just over the front door where it's pretty easy and relatively safe to stand in order to pose for your so kawaii selfie in your super affirming ms marvel cosplay that they might make a special cosplay variant photo cover of because you're just so fucking kawaii you special snowflake you.

kamala is trash, her book is trash and the character she inherited her name from is trash too. as is her jersey
>>
>>83299438

The whole fucking state smells like shit.
>>
>>83300552
Another state that smells like shit is Indiana. What the fuck is up with entire states smelling like shit?
>>
>>83300178
Those are fighting words anon
>>
>>83300537
>selfie
What? That's not a selfie. Get your shit together anon.
>>
>>83300178
Am jerseyian, wtf is taylor ham
>>
>>83300552
>>83300598

Factories. You get accustomed after a while or never.
>>
>>83300011
You fucking faggot, had you read it you would have already known that. The source is the comic, the panel is from there.
That's such a stupid question.
>>
File: 1461451240147.gif (2 MB, 345x386) Image search: [Google]
1461451240147.gif
2 MB, 345x386
>>83300644
I never said it was a selfie you fucking illiterate moron. READ what I posted before you respond.

Here i'll even spell it out for you:

It LOOKS like she's standing up on a roof in a regular fucking suburb in an easily made from thrift store shit "costume", which is designed so it looks vaguely heroic but also VERY emulatable for selfies because cosplayers are massive attention whores and have to show people pictures of themselves.

Marvel/DC have been pushing this 'costume that isn't a costume' bullshit to get kids to cosplay characters because it makes great publicity for their shitty brands.

Why dya think Spider-Woman went from a full spandex body suit to pants and a bike jacket (with the ugliest sunglasses in history)? It's just good marketing. They want kids to stand on tall things and pose as their heroes, they make it easy on purpose.
>>
>>83300710
Majority of the factories border the highway where there is nothing of interest, gives the impression that they're everywhere. They smell like shit when I pass them too.
>>
>>83300710
Indiana is also farms, driving on 80 is a shitshow with the windows down.
>>
>>83300149
Go to Jersey, you'll see why it's America's taint.
>>
>>83300791
I'd rather skim for keywords than read all that shit. Thanks anyway.
>>
>>83299481
I feel like I've heard plenty of Detroit jokes in cartoons but I can't think of any.
>>
>>83300890
stupid cunt.

I even added a picture to get your attention and you couldn't read a few lines. enjoy being ignorant you fuck.
>>
Pennsylvanian here, it's like looking into Mordor from Minas Tirith.
>>
>>83300791
>it looks like she's standing on an awning just over the front door where it's pretty easy and relatively safe to stand in order to pose for your so kawaii selfie

Read your own post, don't blame others because you don't know how to phrase what you're trying to say correctly.
>>
>>83300791
You did say it was a selfie though. Read your post again
>>
>>83300973
>it looks like she's standing on an awning which is a good place to take a selfie

yeah, nothing wrong with that sentence bub.
>>
>>83300963
That's like 3 1/2 paragraphs, not exactly "a few lines".
>>
>>83300963
I'm sure your thoughts and feelings are very important to someone. Just not to me. Have a nice day.
>>
>>83301023
That's not what you posted though, see now that you rephrased it, it's easier to tell what you actually meant.
>>
File: weenie.gif (2 MB, 300x225) Image search: [Google]
weenie.gif
2 MB, 300x225
>>83301031
jesus christ does everything need to be tweet length for you?

>>83301033
and to you madam.

>>83301069
dude, it's blantantly obvious if you read the sentence, I really don't understand that because the word selfie is used you assume I'm saying the picture is a selfie. But next time I'll be very clear, I didn't realise the reading age on a comics board was so low, I forgot half the work was done by pictures.
>>
>>83300751

No fucking shit the comics are the source, Sherlock. I was asking for the line/vignette where the info appears or do you think I'm gonna go through the entire series just to find out, you humongous faggot.
>>
>>83300059
kek'd heartily
>>
>>83300947
Briefly in Billy and Mandy
>>
>>83301145
>what's the source
>The comic
>B-BUT BUT
Lmao.
>>
>>83301219
The comic isn't the source.
A specific panel in the comic is the source.
Not him by the way.
>>
>>83301136
It's not as crystal clear as you're saying.

See YOU know what you meant, that doesn't mean everybody else does to. And when you phrase something as poorly as you did, you can not complain when people misunderstand you

>it looks like she's standing on an awning just over the front door where it's pretty easy and relatively safe to stand in order to pose for your so kawaii selfie

It looks as though you're saying she is standing there to take a selfie. That's what the sentence says. You may not have meant that, but that's what it says.
>>
>>83301145
But anon you need to read every issue of ms marvel its SO good. Like this one time she fucks up, but she's adorable so it's okay. And then this other time she literally phones a better hero to bail her out, and that's okay too because she's being responsible and calling an adult because she can't handle being a hero. She's just so quirky and adorable.

I hope the series runs for years and kamala one day graduates to captain marvel!
>>
>>83301267
The comic is the source, it's just not the complete source. Why would I lie about her being from NJ anyway? That's such a pointless lie.
>>
>>83301328
I'm certain there are doznes of other threads in other boards you could be shitposting in.
>>
>>83301219

Yes you are retarded, I think we already established that.
>>
File: 1462214121449.jpg (202 KB, 910x822) Image search: [Google]
1462214121449.jpg
202 KB, 910x822
>>83301294
>That's what the sentence says.

but it isn't at all. Break it down.

>it looks like she's standing on an awning

>where it's pretty easy and relatively safe to stand in order to pose for your so kawaii selfie

What part of 'its a safe place to take a selfie' actually implies 'she is taking a selfie'?

I don't care that this is bait I'm replying anyway
>>
>>83301411
I thought you were the one baiting? This thread's gotten out of hand.
>>
>>83301411
It does imply that's why she's standing there. I don't know how you don't see that.

I'm not baiting, you just can't somehow see that your sentence can be misunderstood. It's okay to make mistakes.
>>
Dude are you fucking retarded? Reread that sentence, say it aloud and tell me it can not be misinterpreted.
>>
>>83301495
for
>>83301411
>>
>>83301397
>Whoa Ms. marvel is from Jersey? I wonder where I can read about that.
>>
>>83301411
There's at least three people here who didn't get what stupid point you were trying to make. The issue is with your wording at that point.
>>
>>83300221

Oh yeah I see what you mean now.
>>
newark, atlantic city, and camden are shitholes.
>>
>>83301493
standing there because it's a nice place to take a shot does not infer that she is actively shooting. I was saying that the reason the cover is her standing on a regular roof in a suburb is because it's emulatable for kids who want to replicate the picture. Thats the point of that cover. It's making Kamala a relatable character who you can envison yourself as and replicate the cover yourself. It's marvel's new thing to get young kids actively posting about them on social media, like the coke cans with names on them (which was a fucking genius marketing move).

I'm not trying to be a dick, but you're right, I do literally not understand how anyone can read a sentence that basic and have trouble with it. but this is a ms marvel thread after all so I'm assuming you guys are all like 14

>>83301560
>3 people don't get it so you must be wrong
C'mon anon you know that's not how subjective analysis works. We need an ample group size of ranged demographics to answer honestly. Just because 3 people piped up because they didn't understand doesn't lay the blame at either party.
>>
File: image.jpg (108 KB, 457x396) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
108 KB, 457x396
>went to school at West Virginia University
>WVa has some sort of equivalency deal with Jersey where students can get in-state tuition for certain major programs
>fucking ton of rich Jersey idiots looking for a cheap degree moving into campus

Fuck that state. Y'all can't handle your liquor then decide to trash the dorms when drunk.
>>
>>83301557

>where does it say she's from Jersey?

>here look, this panel

>then a random faggot appears and goes "HURR DURRRR THE COMICS HURR"

the other anon got it immediately, it's only you who's been making an clown out of himself for the last 5 posts.
>>
>>83301660
>>83300973
>>>83300791

It looks as though you are mocking her for standing on the roof and taking a selfie.

The only problem is you don't want to admit that you could have worded it better and would rather blame everyone else.
>>
>>83301660
>I-It's not me it's y-y-you!
Get over yourself.
>>
>>83301660
>We need an ample group size of ranged demographics to answer honestly
Well we're the only audience you got here buster. If your write to your audience properly then you suck at it.
>>
>>83301737
Picture posting anon here.

I haven't said anything until now but thought it was weird you asked for a source too. I just didn't make a thing of it.
>>
>>83301737
>Where does it say she's from Jersey?
It says that in the comic. What other source do you need?
That's still a stupid question.

>Batman is from Gotham? Where in the world does it say that?
>>
File: getalong.gif (980 KB, 500x302) Image search: [Google]
getalong.gif
980 KB, 500x302
>>83301766
the fact that you've used the word 'better' implies the sentence actually does work and you're covering for the fact you took the wrong thing from it.

>>83301788
well to be fair I can't see you nor gauge your intelligence or reading acumen from a bunch of anonymous posts. I'm even assuming it's not just one dude fucking with me by posting a bunch. But if you want to insult me for not using the most basic language I can, then from now on I'll be super condescending in ms marvel threads because I know you kids have trouble reading.

as an aside though, if you wanna chastise me for writing badly
> If your write to your audience properly then you suck at it.
is a terrible way to go about it. "if your write to?" I get that you're mad but c'mon don't hand me ammunition like that.
>>
File: cool-iced-tea.jpg (11 KB, 202x308) Image search: [Google]
cool-iced-tea.jpg
11 KB, 202x308
>tfw I live in the best part of Jersey
>>
>>83301906
>is a terrible way to go about it. "if your write to?" I get that you're mad but c'mon don't hand me ammunition like that.
Hey, at least I can admit I fucked up.
>>
>>83301969
so did i! I literally said I literally could't see how people could misunderstand that wot i did wrote.

I should get fined for using literally twice in a sentence.
>>
>>83301906
No it doesn't.
Say you failed a test. And someone says to you, you could have done better.
"You could have done better" doesn't necessarily imply that you did well on it. It's just saying it could be improved.
Which your sentence could have been.

Like 4 people had a problem with what you said, they're not the problem. You are.
>>
>>83299438

1) It's next to New York, so New York overshadows it the same way vegas overshadows Reno.

2) If you're driving there from New York city, you have to drive through the industrial part before you get downtown, so the first thing you notice is the smell.

3) Lots of people in Hollywood are from New York. They reference shit that they know.

Just like if shitloads of Dallas folks were in Hollywood, you'd see a lot more references to Whataburger, Football, and hating on Oklahoma.
>>
>>83301870

Nigger, let me put it in words you can comprehend. I ask where can I find a good coffee shop, "in Brooklyn" somebody replies, I ask where, then you come out screaming "BROOKLYN", no shit is in Brooklyn, I'm not gonna search the whole thing just for that specific place. Just like I'm not gonna read the fucking comic just to see if she's from Jersey or not.

Now fuck off.
>>
>>83302019
done better on a test and done better explaining yourself aren't comparable in those two contexts despite being the same word used as the codifier in each.

for a start a grading scale of 0-100 isn't comparable with the did/didn't succeed at comprehension. I see where you're coming from though.
>>
>>83302035
Actually that conversation would go more like this:
>Are there coffee shops in Brooklyn?
>Yes, I like [this] coffee shop and it is in Brooklyn
>Can you prove that it's in Brooklyn?
>>
>>83302078
Yes they are comparable because doing better on a test could be going from maybe a 60% to a 70%, that's objectively doing better on the test.

Better explaining yourself is also possible.

Say I went up to you and said "Hey I suffered an injury the other day".

Compare that to a sentence like
"Hey, I rolled my ankle after someone fouled me while we were playing basketball last Tuesday."

One of those sentence is objectively better because it explains more about the situation, it is clearer what happened instead of leaving you in the dark about what exactly happened.

It is possible to make a mistake and have a sentence change meaning or have the meaning misunderstood because of it.
>>
>>83299753
Central Jersey and the Shore areas are all suburbia and pretty loaded suburbia at that. South Jersey is farmland and forests. I'm from South Jersey, it takes me 30 minutes to get to a damn supermarket and not be surrounded by fucking trees.
>>
>>83300178
it's called a sub, not a hoagie
>>
>>83300178

You're just jealous that you don't have pork rolls.
>>
>>83302590
It's actually called a Hero
>>
>>83301967
Brings back memories.
>>
>>83300708
It's goes by pork roll in the shitty southern and central parts of NJ
>>
>>83300050
It's not a hero, it's a sub you fuck
>>
>>83300059
YOU DIG GIANT ROBOTS
>>
>>83299569
Detroit and Jersey are both full of white and black people.

But the white people in Jersey are Italian, so its fair game.
>>
Is pork roll vs Taylor ham the skub vs antiskub of NJ?
>>
>>83302875
Detroit has more blacks.

CHECKMATE!
>>
>>83299922
Megas is about the offspring of Jay & Silent Bob and Pinkey & the Brain.
>>
>>83302875

But I'm Greek.
>>
>>83299993
>What's a largely Irish large city in American and is it shit?
There really isn't a majority Irish city, the Irish are pretty far spread out. Pennsylvania maybe, because of Philadelphia.

I'd gamble New York has the highest Irish population, but they have the highest non-black, Brit, Dutch, or French populations anyway.
>>
>>83302975
right, Italian.
>>
>>83302986
Philly is black. Boston is an Irish town.
>>
>>83302631
SUB.

AS IN SUBWAY.
>>
>>83302894
I don't think you understand how Italians work.

Because they don't.
>>
File: Frame176.jpg (66 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
Frame176.jpg
66 KB, 720x480
>>83299438
ATHF was my first exposure to New Jersey and boy did it leave a lasting impression.
>>
>>83302975
So Italian, but with really strange food there's never a right time of the day for.
>>
File: dfgdgdfgzd.jpg (63 KB, 1280x620) Image search: [Google]
dfgdgdfgzd.jpg
63 KB, 1280x620
>>83303040
You mean BAAAAAHsten?
>>
>>83303085

Beats me, I never eat it. I might as well be Italian.
>>
>>83303113
So you wish to atone for your life of falsehood in calling yourself Greek?

Watch four Godfathers and say ten Momma-mias and you are absolved.
>>
>>83303128

You can't make me. I'll never.
>>
>>83299481
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oZzgAjjuqZM
>>
>>83299993
Boston or Philadelphia are your best bet.
>>
>>83299753
Hoboken is pretty much it for North Jersey
>>
>>83301967
That was some bomb ass tea, I don't know what the point in rebranding it "Fuze" was, though.
>>
>>83303050
It's called a grinder.
>>
File: 1464216588447.png (417 KB, 500x700) Image search: [Google]
1464216588447.png
417 KB, 500x700
>>83303252
>Hoboken
>Good
>>
>>83299657
>instead of just being the worst part of it.
t. south jersey
fuck off, north jersey masterrace
who here /bergen/
>>
>>83299840
depends where you want to live in the state. generally, new jersey is a very expensive state to live in. the farther north or east you go, the more expensive it gets. the farther south or west, the cheaper.
i read somewhere once tha tnew jersey is the only state in the country where every county is labeled as "urban" as opposed to "rural". that's not entirely true, because a lot of the southern half of the state is basically alabama. generally, when you get off the coast of the whole southern half, it's rural relatively cheap.
>>
>>83303066
Oh fuck my sides
Thread replies: 145
Thread images: 17

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.