[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is there any hope left for Vertigo?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4
File: The_Sheriff_of_Babylon_Vol_1_1.jpg (582 KB, 900x1384) Image search: [Google]
The_Sheriff_of_Babylon_Vol_1_1.jpg
582 KB, 900x1384
Is there any hope left for Vertigo?
>>
>>83288849
No
>>
>>83288849
I wish, but I don't see how.
>>
File: Morrison-and-Berger.jpg (79 KB, 1600x901) Image search: [Google]
Morrison-and-Berger.jpg
79 KB, 1600x901
>Karen Berger quits
>the only thing worth a shit was Berger's final hire

Back when comics were worth a shit and not just integrated branding toy and movie ads she would have been EiC desu lads
>>
Unfollow is pretty ok. But of course, it's by talent snatched from 2000AD.
>>
>>83288849
I read Sheriff and Unfollow, what other books are currently worth checking out?
>>
>>83289832
Clean Room
>>
File: v for vendetta_vertigo edition.jpg (88 KB, 760x1150) Image search: [Google]
v for vendetta_vertigo edition.jpg
88 KB, 760x1150
>>83289246
Vertigo reprints sell pretty well in the book market last I checked. Last year, Sandman: Overture was DC's 4th bestselling product in the book market according to Nielsen BookScan data, this despite going on sale only in the last month of the business year. The V for Vendetta trades and hardcovers, which are branded with the Vertigo imprint, are also a constant seller in bookstores according to BookScan—it was DC's 9th bestselling title in the book market, which is pretty remarkable for a non-superhero comic which completed its US serialization over 27 years ago.

Those are pretty impressive rankings, considering that DC is the second most successful publisher in the book market, behind only the massively successful Scholastic/Graphix (the company that publishes all-ages graphic novels like Raina Telgemeier's Drama and Jeff Smith's Bone).

Anyway, I think Vertigo can survive at least as a reprint-specialty line, with the occasional new quality title like The Sheriff of Babylon (which is one of my favorite current comics, BTW).
>>
>>83289851
What's the premise?
>>
>>83289919
>Anyway, I think Vertigo can survive at least as a reprint-specialty line

That's not what I want from Vertigo anon.
>>
>>83289919
Oh, just to clarify, when I refer to DC as "the second most successful publisher in the book market," I mean "the second most successful comics publisher in the book market." It should be obvious, but I don't want anyone reading my post coming away with the wrong idea.
>>
>>83289971
Not that guy but nobody really cares about Vertigo anymore so there's not much they can do.

Like they seem to be doing it now for creator owned stuff for newer writers and/or dc exclusive writers. Well people don't care about new writers so sales will be shit. King is probably the most hyped new writer in a while and even his book is selling like 5k and it's gonna stay that way until his Batman is well received. And more popular writers will just go to Image if they can instead of vertigo
>>
>>83289971
Think of it this way: the success of trade paperback and hardcover reprints of old Vertigo titles in the bookstore market means that Warner Bros./DC execs are likely to keep approving new Vertigo projects, even if recent Vertigo titles don't sell all that well in "floppy" format in the direct market.
>>
Vertigo are made more or less redundant these days by the existence of Image and other creator-owned publishers. Especially when said publishers offer FULL creative rights and ownership, unlike Vertigo.

They also don't even bring in any new talent anymore, it's all the same old dudes doing mini-series that no-one pays attention to or contributing to stupid fucking gimmicky anthologies.

Young Animal is more interesting than 90% of current Vertigo output, and they still haven't released anything
>>
>>83290190
>Vertigo are made more or less redundant these days by the existence of Image and other creator-owned publishers

One thing Vertigo (and Dark Horse and Marvel's Icon imprint) offers that Image doesn't, however, is a guaranteed paycheck for however long the comic runs. With Image, there's no guarantee that the creators will see significant remuneration for their work.

I think what's likely to happen is that creators will be pitching their creator-owned work to publishers depending on their priorities. Those who need the security of guaranteed pay will bring certain projects to Vertigo or Dark Horse or Icon, those who believe that they have a potential breakout hit on their hands will take their project to Image.

You're already seeing it happen, with some creators: For example, Scott Snyder has Image and Vertigo work, Mark Millar has different creator-owned projects concurrently being published under Image and Icon, Brian Wood has stuff going on at Image and Dark Horse, Tim Seeley is simultaneously writing titles at Image and Vertigo, etc.
>>
I enjoy unfollow
>>
>>83289930
A woman tries to find the truth behind her husband's suicide, and start to investigate a cult run by a woman who writes self-help books.

It is better than it sounds and turns into Lovecraftian horror pretty quickly.
>>
>>83290960
It's Simone's best book in ages.
>>
>>83291032
It sure is. Last time i had this much fun with one of her was during the pre-Flashpoint Secret Six run.
>>
>>83289345
Are we going to pretend like the last several years of her in charge weren't shit?
>>
>>83288849
Vertigo needs the autonomy it had under Berger. During her tenure some of the best stories in any media where written and published. There will never be that much freedom than there was back then. The editorial structure that DC has now is going in all directions but nothing is moving forward; they are still at the "through everything against the wall" approach.
>>
>>83291647
Apparently
>>
>>83290960
>>83291032
Huh, might check it out then, thanks.
>>
>>83290121
They're likely to approve new titles, but from whom? That's the issue, Vertigo has lost it's creators to (mostly) Image.
>>
>>83288849
not unless they change the rights part to the image comics system.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.