[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What is it about Daredevil that causes comics writers and artists
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7
File: Daredevil.jpg (67 KB, 960x540) Image search: [Google]
Daredevil.jpg
67 KB, 960x540
What is it about Daredevil that causes comics writers and artists to bring their A-Game? Almost all of the Daredevil books have been of a very high quality, even Mark Wade's run, which I'm not particularly fond of is well regarded.
>>
You can't bullshit your writing too much, and he's not popular enough that hacks are attracted to him but is well known.
>>
>>83278921
He's a grounded character that has a strong supporting cast and generally a lot to work with. Dad problems, religious problems, crimefighting problems, lawyer problems.

His powers allow you to be relatively creative too.
>>
basically its because miller did such a good run that it inspired the next few writers, at this point the title has a strong reputation of quality so they just don't give him to the shitty hacks
>>
>>83279197
hellblazer has a similar thing going on with it
>>
>>83279197
This.

A "TV" comparison is apt. Some characters are lucky to get iconic runs on them, but they're even luckier if the runs are stylish as hell, too. Because then, the following writer-artist teams have a basis to either re-create or hint at, which eases the load on their backs (compared to creating a style from scratch).

It's very similar to how TV pilots work: the EPs and director of a pilot create the style from scratch, and it's intended that the rest of the first season look and behave similar to the pilot. It's no surprise that most of the best shows have all had pilots that were both strong and stylish.
>>
File: 1462321658138.jpg (214 KB, 494x750) Image search: [Google]
1462321658138.jpg
214 KB, 494x750
Recommendations for someone wanting to get into LuckyLucifer?
>>
>>83279866
Miller, Nocenti, Bendis (yes, really), Brubaker, and Waid are the common ones.
>>
>>83278921
But Soule's run is shit.
>>
Because he's an incredibly easy character to write for.

You want to do a fun, light-hearted street-level hero story? Fine.

You want to do a gritty, edgy and blood-soaked pulp thriller? Totally okay.

You want to do a full-bore magic ninja kung-fu book? Knock yourself out.

He's as malleable as Batman without the pop culture baggage that triggers NOT MUH fanboys.
>>
He's a high-profile, b list character. He's popular, but not so popular that he's a flagship character. This means that any creative team can tell the stories they want with minimal interference from editorial. You don't have that kind of freedom with Spider-man.
>>
I feel like his out-of-the-spotlight place in Marvel makes the editorial process more selective and focused on quality than marketability.

If you want to come on to write Spider-Man, they're going to take your pitch because they can sell it as "big", whether or not it's "good". But Daredevil has a legacy of amazing runs, (see this post)
>>83279866

So editors care a lot about keeping Daredevil good, and suits care less because he's not Spidey or an Avenger or X-Men.
>>
>>83280591
>>83281298
These

Also he's really not apart of a 'family' of books like Spider people or the X Men, so crossovers don't happen a lot and destroy the book
>>
Is the new DD series good?

I kinda gave up reading near the end of Waids run when he put him in Cali and forgot about DD in general afterwards
>>
out of all the runs, I still think Miller's and Nocenti's are the best.

It's a damn shame Nocenti's still haven't been properly collected.
>>
>>83281873
I heard he is a prosecutor now
>>
>>83281873
It is really damn good.
>>
How was Kingpin Bendis's run on Daredevil? Any back and forth speak?
>>
File: daredevil yellow.jpg (263 KB, 420x638) Image search: [Google]
daredevil yellow.jpg
263 KB, 420x638
I always really liked DD's yellow costume. I can't be alone in thinking that.
>>
File: 1447329737859.png (1 MB, 1179x1108) Image search: [Google]
1447329737859.png
1 MB, 1179x1108
>>83283959

Fucking lord, yes. That and ridiculously huge walls of text. I don't know why people keep saying Bendis' Daredevil is good. It's a fucking chore to read.
>>
>first Daredevil I experienced that I enjoyed was Waid's run
>now I can't enjoy grimdark Daredevil because I wish it was lighthearted fun
Fuck you, Waid, you ruined Daredevil for me.
>>
>>83284120
Bendis' DD was a novelty at the time and it's only remained popular through inertia.
>>
>>83284209
I honestly never really liked Waid's run.
>>
File: daredevil_1_preview_1-jpg.jpg (628 KB, 600x911) Image search: [Google]
daredevil_1_preview_1-jpg.jpg
628 KB, 600x911
>>83281873
So far, the story is solid. Not super special, but not retarded. The art for the first five issues, though, that is orgasmic. Pic related.

Then a new guy came on, and he's an okay artist.
>>
File: 1340152508760.gif (493 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
1340152508760.gif
493 KB, 200x133
>>83284120
>>83284236
>having opinions this bad because you don't like reading
>>
>>83286146
>like reading
>like Bendis

Pick one.
>>
>>83284100
My yellow nigga
>>
>>83286181
I'm tired of this meme
>>
>>83278921
Diggle and Soule say otherwise.
>>
File: daredevil.jpg (751 KB, 1902x2915) Image search: [Google]
daredevil.jpg
751 KB, 1902x2915
>>83286476
Mah nigga
>>
is the Miller-Johnson run worth a read? I hear a lot of good things about Born Again, but not much about earlier Frank Miller DD.
>>
>>83289275
It's one of the GOAT runs of all time in comics.
>>
Because hes the closest thing marvel has to batman...so they really try to push the art.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.