[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So are there better detective/mystery comics than Batman? I hate
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5
File: main[1].jpg (25 KB, 620x349) Image search: [Google]
main[1].jpg
25 KB, 620x349
So are there better detective/mystery comics than Batman? I hate the bat wank, but like how his stories are generally more than, there is a bad guy lets punch him. I like his rogues, and I like that he could potentially be put in danger.

GRANTED
I don't think I've really read anything in current continuity.
>>
>>83267875
>So are there better detective/mystery comics than Batman?

Considering Batman comics very rarely actually feature any mystery or detective work, I'm going to go with yes?
>>
The Question
>>
File: aazle9.jpg (755 KB, 1599x1315) Image search: [Google]
aazle9.jpg
755 KB, 1599x1315
>>83267914
>very rarely actually feature any mystery or detective work

They really should use more
>>
File: Darth Bendis.png (194 KB, 296x428) Image search: [Google]
Darth Bendis.png
194 KB, 296x428
Alias

Powers
>>
>>83268024
>>83267914
Of the stories I've read and enjoyed he has engaged in more noir setting than punching his way out of things. Maybe I meant noir more so than detective.

I liked Sin City (haven't read the last one with wallace yet) if that helps

>>83268169
I am not reading any fucking cuck shit.
>>
File: 1463380483966.png (88 KB, 298x332) Image search: [Google]
1463380483966.png
88 KB, 298x332
>>83268190
>cuck

Nice meme
>>
>>83267875
BLACKSAD.

>>83268024
Source?
>>
Go read Sandman Mystery Theater.
>>
>>83267914
Read more Bronze Age
>>
>>83268024
I'll never get tired of detectives licking shit they plan of chemically testing anyway
>>
>>83268222
Tennent literally gets cucked
>>
>>83267875
Check out Brubaker, Rucka, and Azzarello. They all love writing detective and noir-influenced stuff.

Brubaker not too long ago finished a miniseries that was a murder mystery about a Hollywood screenwriter who has a blacklisted communist writer ghostwrite for him try to solve the mystery of who killed some up-and-coming starlet.

Max Allan Collins is another detective writer. Check him out.

I think Christos Gage has some stuff like that, too?

If you're specifically looking for cape stuff, Batman is called "the world's greatest detective," but there are few genuine mystery stories written with him. Like, actual classic mysteries where you have suspects and access to all the same clues the protagonist detective does and try to solve it along with him. There is one that is kind of like that, "The Long Halloween," but even that one "cheats" and isn't really a genuine classic mystery. And then there are "Dark Victory" and "Hush" in which Loeb did the exact same thing he did in TLH again except shittier each time. Dark Victory is still a good story overall and worth a read, but it's not a good MYSTERY story.
>>
>>83271595
Oh yeah and Hush is just shit all around so I wouldn't bother but I'm in the minority in holding this opinion so you may as well give it a read as you're more likely to be one of the people who likes it than not.
>>
>>83267875
Read the first issue of Warren Ellis' Moon Knight
>>
>>83267875
O'Niel's Question.
>>
>>83267875
Detectives Inc.
Sin City - A Dame To Kill For (somewhat of a mystery story, somewhat of a plain crime story)
Cannon
Richard Stark's Parker (by the late great Darwyn Cooke)
>>
Mad Dogs
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.