[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ultron Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6
File: Ultron_Empire_textless.jpg (95 KB, 640x793) Image search: [Google]
Ultron_Empire_textless.jpg
95 KB, 640x793
Despite the film's flaws, I thought Ultron was an interesting villain. Discuss
>>
>quiptron
>>
He was undoubtedly the best part of this piece of shit, besides Vision and Buster.
>>
>>83262091
Children! Strings! Omelettes!
>>
>>83262091
He's a copy of tonys mind, not hank pym. People forget that.
>>
>quiptron
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf-_230SjbM
>>
>>83262251
No he came from the mind gem. Brainwaves like in the comic had nothing to do with it. Which made the idea that Tony has his dad weird since Banner played a big role in Ultron too yet doesn't think of him as an uncle.
>>
>>83262091

well, he wasnt. discuss
>>
>>83262091

more like weekend with quiptron amirite guise?
>>
>>83262251
And why was that, exactly? The mind gem is introduced as having some super complex AI that appears to be thinking, then Tony and Banner copy that AI, then it becomes self aware before they can finish what they were doing. Ultron's mind is fully formed and sentient without any of Tony's personality mixed in. Then Jarvis mentions Tony, so Ultron looks up some files on him before looking up info on everything in the world. What part of that was supposed to make Ultron a copy of Tony's mind?
>>
>>83262091
>when you have to go back and watch other AI related movies like the rebooted "I, Robot" movie to get the shit taste of Whedon Ultron out.
>>
>>83262552
relax ultron. it's just conjecture.
>>
I can't discuss because I don't remember him at all. Not a single line.
>>
File: 132285992302.gif (1 MB, 330x248) Image search: [Google]
132285992302.gif
1 MB, 330x248
Post yfw Ultron comes back in Ant Man & Wasp
>>
>>83262091

I actually find amusing his utter madness.

His joking might defuse the tension/threat in the third act, but his very humane reactions in Acts 1 and 2, and particularly his violent outbursts when they touch his nerve make him very intresting to me.
>>
>>83262357
Or a mother.
>>
>>83264077
i really hope he doesn't just becuase it will be too soon, but the cool thing about ultron is that even in 15 years god willing spader can probably still voice him and he is all CGI so we can still have a good ultron

but A&W too soon imo, maybe if its a bit of a set up for him
>>
There's actually a great delete scene where Tony and Banner mention giving Ultron access to a like slang database and humor processing or something. It was neat but I guess the cut it cause they figured the audience would understand that a super smart fully conscious being would have a sense of humor. It's kind of obvious and natural really. But no everyone wanted generic emotionless unfeeling AI for the thousandth time.
>>
>>83264150
Right on.
I do wish they'd made his voice more menacing, I think it was in the trailer but changed before the movie came out, but I loved the character all around.
With a little more menace behind that voice the jokes would have been even more tense and unexpected though, woulda been even better.

What we really needed was to see his plan A though. Just what the hell he was planning to do with the Vision body before it was taken away from him. Wasn't till the second time that I saw it did I even realize destroying the world was his plan B.
>>
>>83262091
Yeah, I didn't mind Ultron. I thought he was pretty cool.
>>
File: 1437988557626.png (215 KB, 750x650) Image search: [Google]
1437988557626.png
215 KB, 750x650
>>83262091
I liked his relationship with the twins and how he actually seemed sad when Wanda betrayed him.
>>
File: 1457397616064.jpg (263 KB, 624x800) Image search: [Google]
1457397616064.jpg
263 KB, 624x800
We are Ultron.
>>
>>83262091
He seemed to have his head on until he decided to make and drop a meteor on the planet.
It's not the insanity of his plan, or perhaps in a way it is since it comes off way too psychotic to even make sense in that sense, it's like, just release a virus or destroy a whole bunch of crops or something my man, you're a robot. Attack the source of organic sustenance to weaken them not the whole fucking planet. What are you doing all this work for?

And if he just likes blowing things up at least be efficient about it, go build some of those super vaporizing nukes Red Skull was working on. You had the mind gem as a source of power and resource, don't be silly about this.
>>
>>83269635
he says that he likes the finality of it, it's destruction on a biblical scale.

That was one thing I liked about him, Ultron had this obsession with religion - the concept of it. It seemed like a very human sort of villainous foible, which was the point. He's an AI, but he's not cold-hearted PURE LOGIC TRUMPS ALL or anything. For all intents and purposes, he thinks like a living thing. A fallible, emotional living thing.

I was taken a little off guard by him the first time I saw it, but seeing it again in preparation for Civil War I appreciated his character more. Movie still has problems, of course, but I'm entertained whenever Ultron is on the screen.
>>
>>83269635

The dilaog implies he envisions a world without organic life as perfect, safe and in control.

Also, he explicitely says that he has become obsessed with Extinction Level Events and the power of meteorites.

All of these are expressions of his certifiable insanity.
>>
>>83269419
what is it with Wanda and robots wanting to fuck her
>>
File: 1463969989002.jpg (141 KB, 1024x528) Image search: [Google]
1463969989002.jpg
141 KB, 1024x528
>>83271378
Yeah, the MCU got it backwards, it was always the opposite.
>>
>>83262091
>generic evil AI, but with Whedon jokes
>builds hundreds of incredibly weak robots instead of a few of his though second form
>>
>>83271443
How does she respond?
>y-yes? is t-that wrong?
>>
It's clear Joss was attempting to weave some sort of transgender theme in narrative, with Ultron's subtle insistence that he doesn't identify as a man and feel as if he was forced into a body that he doesn't feel comfortable with. He also made numerous comparisons to himself and the transformative experience of a caterpillar becoming a butterfly.

He was a very effeminate villain that embodied Joss's own personality, an atheistic social justice warrior who saw humanities adherence to hetero normative values as an inherent evil that required global purging.
>>
File: 1460605420051.jpg (289 KB, 1280x1600) Image search: [Google]
1460605420051.jpg
289 KB, 1280x1600
>>83271378
They clearly have good taste.
>>
>>83262091

Perfect casting wasted on hack writing in a shit movie.
>>
Films are only as good as their villains, who, in turn, are only as interesting as their fight scenes/climactic battles. AOU offered nothing new. I would've liked to have seen Ultron, with full reign over the Internet, launch at least one nuke, *Skynet style* in an attempt to destroy the world. Either Thor or Hulk stop the nuke and render themselves comatose and out of commission halfway through the movie, preferably Thor as I'd like to see him put a hammer to a nuke, and such a scene of Thor taking on a nuke *and surviving* would be the best way to demonstrate Asgardian power levels.

In terms of final battle, I would've made it an all out brawl between every member of the Avengers VS one Ultron robot, or three separate Avengers teams split *around the world* taking on Ultron drones, which would be corrupted Ironmen armor, ie: Hulkbuster with corrupted Ultron AI or even Stark himself with the nanobots inside him corrupted by Ultron.

This would've made for tense, dramatic, high-stakes battles where even more, new Avengers like Carol Danvers, and even an international contingent, could've been introduced.
>>
>>83271762

>Films are only as good as their villains

Post discarded.
>>
>>83268481
I wanted that
>>
>>83271798
>AOU offered nothing new
>>
>>83271566
When was this pasta first posted?
>>
>>83271250
>>83271369
Fair enough. In retrospect I'm not sure where I was going with that robot thing.

As a human it makes sense to be efficient what with mortality and what not, if you're virtually indestructible you can do whatever, however, whyever.
>>
>>83262091
I thought a lot of that dark and even creepy dialogue was awesome. Though a lot of villains have that style of dialogue, the delivery made it so much more menacing to me.
>>
>>83262091
He was a better Tony than Tony.
>>
>>83269635
Famine and plague won't 100% kill everyone with certainty.

He wanted to be sure, and he wanted to be glorious.
>>
>>83269635
It's almost like movie villains always go with the spectacular route rather than the practical one.
When's the last time you saw a villain whose plan was actually the best thing you could come up with to reach his goals?
>>
>>83271762
>AOU offered nothing new.
>I would've liked to have seen Ultron do something from that other movie
>and also yet another nuke to stop like at the end of Av1
Is this some sort of next level shitposting?
>>
>>83262091
I like how completely unstable and unpredictable he was. He's one of those characters you'd always feel on edge around.

Sure he just cracked a joke, but you still constantly have this feeling he's five seconds away from breaking someone in half.
>>
>>83273971
Ozymandias, in the film. That's the one thing I preferred, blame the superman not engineer a giant squid alien.
>>
>>83273735

>I was meant to be beautiful

I really like his obsession with humanity. He despises us, yet still strives to become us and overtake humans as the top species.
>>
>>83274390

His jokes were in incredibly poor taste often, and you can feel they are masking or attempting to downplay his madness.
>>
>>83262091
I thought he was interesting, until I actually started watching Joss Whedon written shows, and now I realize the man has a very limited "Toolbox" that all of his characters come from.

Seriously, watch the first season of Buffy. The main villain in that is literally exactly the same character.
>>
>>83269419
he even tell her its dangerous when she come to kill him.
>>
>>83275904
Even the villains waifu her.
>>
>>83275227
it felt more like he was attempting to downplay his madness than any 'they' behind the scenes

like when he cuts that guys arm off for comparing him to Stark and is like 'look at what you made me do'. He's clearly meant to be insane despite how he presents himself.
>>
>>83275726
>Seriously, watch the first season of Buffy. The main villain in that is literally exactly the same character.
God, I couldn't even make it past the first episode of Buffy, everything she says is just a snarky retort or an insult. Does it get better?
>>
>>83275964
It does, actually.

Season 1 is rough, no getting around that.
Season 2 is a LOT better.
Season 3 is generally considered the best season, and it's very good television overall. It's the reason the show became a cultural icon.
From there, it varies wildly in quality, but never really dips into BAD territory again. Arguably. Lots of fans have different ideas on how exactly the quality of the show varies from season to season, but it's generally worth watching all the way through.
>>
>>83276000
What about Angel?
>>
>>83262091
I never understood why he didn't take over the internet, rather then just using it as a means to escape earlier in the film?

He should have pulled a Sigma, and make backups of himself all over the net and the world.
>>
>>83276014
I haven't watched it yet, but it has generally good vibes from it
>>
>>83262091

I liked his gradual descent into madness, and loved how it was basically the opposite of how his physical form changed. At first, he genuinely wanted to help mankind, albeit by force, and his first form was that of a shambled Iron Legion drone. However, as his form changed, he then decided that humankind if a plague that needs to be removed, then as he achived his peak form he decided that all organic life on Earth must be destroyed.
>>
>>83276203

*humankind is a plague

goddamn keyboard.
>>
>>83276093
Remnant of JARVIS was online stopping him.
>>
>>83262091
I liked his thing with the twins.
If they had kept the movie like this, with the Thor sub-plot and cut down heavily on the quips but kept Ultron's personality it would have been one of the best MCU movies.
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.