[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Powered Police
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: dragon145.jpg (194 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
dragon145.jpg
194 KB, 600x900
Can we talk about the lack of super humans on the police force. Is this an oversight on the part of writers or is there a legitimate in universe reason why there are so few instances of powered cops?
>>
I think they usually just go up to military level shit.
>>
>>83258999
No reason that I know of. IIRC, the THor Comics in the 90s has had a specialized SWAT team for super-human law enforcement called 'Code Blue' but most supers either end up on SHIELD's pay roll, or solo.

Though by all rights there really should be.

There is an exception in the form of Damage Control. primarily in the character of Monstro, who used to work as a Firefighter before his super power use became to obvious to hide. He joined Damage Control with other super powered people to do the quick cleanups of the Marvel Universe.

Yeah . . . I can only think of Private Sector supers.

Maybe there's a union rule about it or something.
>>
>>83258999

I dunno, I think it's just that most superhero settings focus on superheroes as individual agents.

Like in the DCU it's almost expected that people who develop superheroes slap on a costume and go out to fight supervillains and save the world. It's not too often you see someone make the decision to be a cop over developing their own identity and superhero brand.
>>
>>83258999

You could read Top Ten for an entire series based around the concept, but that's a setting where EVERYONE'S a superhero of some kind.
>>
Oversight nightmare.

Think of every bad cop incident caught on camera. Now add super powers to the mix. It doesn't matter how good the cop is.

Mind reader? Suspect will claim rights were violted.

Super strong? Unnecessary force.

Radiation based? Lawsuit because I got cancer on my left nut.

A specialized team that deals only with supers going batshit insane makes a lot more sense.
>>
>>83259124
Yea but even they usually seem like they are used as a Black Ops/hitsquad type thing.
I mean there should at least be some kind of National Guard group that comes in when things get out of hand.
>>83259175
I get story telling wise maybe it's more entertaining or accepted that someone with super powers is the focus of the story. But it just makes so little since that, one, There aren't powered individuals that don't want to live as public heroes and juggle a real job with helping people, two, that government on any level wouldn't see the benefit of having a few powered officers in at least every other precinct.
I think a pretty good excuse seems to be financial. Because once you get officers involved their presence and decisions can be held responsible for property damage. Then that if you have people doing this work they are most likely in a greater position of danger than other police officers since they would be the ones expected to engage major threats. So maybe just thinking about accountability, insurance, and payroll for employees in this situation is enough to say "fuck it, let whatever hero that comes along handle it".

>>83259349
I was thinking more in the since the state failing to take the initiative is putting regular citizens in danger by not having like a super powered SWAT team like >>83259148 mentioned.
>>
>>83259763
>A specialized team that deals only with supers going batshit insane makes a lot more sense.

Yea I didn't exactly mean out there walking a beat bust purse snatcher or making traffic violation stops, But how many times are the Wrecking Crew gonna rob a bank or some weird monster is destroying a lab looking for chemicals for some mad scientist before you think to yourself I can't just wait for Spider-Man to get here. We should have people on the payroll that can handle this.

But a group with in the force that investigates and deals with these threats specifically. And If SHIELD decides they have jurisdiction whatever, but there should be someone around when they miss something or just aren't interested.
>>
File: District_X_Vol_1_5.jpg (76 KB, 470x727) Image search: [Google]
District_X_Vol_1_5.jpg
76 KB, 470x727
>>83260103
District X if I remember right, kind of dealt with mutant investigation cases.
>>
File: 1374701068946.jpg (220 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
1374701068946.jpg
220 KB, 1280x960
Any superhumans that use their powers to just make money? Not a job that's actively helping people like being a fireman or cop. And not being a super villain that's breaking laws and hurting people. Just making lots of money.
>>
>>83260330
Many of the employees of Damage Control, and that firm She-Hulk used to work for were powered.

Jeremy Briggs, the arch-villain of Avengers Academy was all about making money with his powers.

Top 10 is full of that sort of thing.
>>
>>83258999
Another one to add to the list is the web comic Grrl Power.

Yes, really.

And it ain't bad. It has it's flaws, sure, but I like it.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.