[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why is the Doctor Manhattan origin sequence in Watchmen still
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 14
File: vlcsnap-2016-05-14-04h31m11s807.png (597 KB, 1280x528) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-05-14-04h31m11s807.png
597 KB, 1280x528
Why is the Doctor Manhattan origin sequence in Watchmen still the best bit of comic book movie ever filmed?
>>
>>83224027
The whole intro was great
https://youtu.be/887VJCGocqg
>>
His glow is waaay too prominent and it should be a white light, not a blue one. His physique is too "shredded" and his penis is too big. Also, his actor was a total miscast, he should have been more like a "50's square" type guy.

You're right though OP, that scene looks cool.
>>
Just because it's slow and dramatic doesn't mean it's good.
>>
>>83224255
If you're going to construct a body for yourself as a god, why wouldn't you make it perfect?
>>
File: 1311814592282.gif (99 KB, 379x188) Image search: [Google]
1311814592282.gif
99 KB, 379x188
>>83224027

It was pretty fucking cool. Don't know if I would outright call it "the best", but it's definitely in the running.
>>
>>83224027
Phillip Glass
>>
https://youtu.be/EZSj_UA9_u4
>>
>>83224027
>the best bit of comic book movie ever filmed
That's everything from Road to Perdition, followed by the Slow-Mo sequences from Dredd.
>>
>>83225081
That was horrible.
>>
>>83224255
>penis is too big
If anything it was too small.
>>
>>83225081
>Snyder
>Good
I wish people didn't think this.
>>
>>83225132
>>83225165
yor trying to hard
>>
>hurrdurr too much action!!!
>the movie is 3 hours and a half long...
>it features 5 minutes tops of action

Watchmen is bad is a meme at this point, right?

I still cant figure how Zack the madman Snyder managed to get that much money for the adaptation. How they let him go away with it.

Goldberstein: Nice, nice, but we need at least 30 minutes of action scenes! We need to make money after all!
Zack: Sure, sure, I swear I will put some action, you will get your shekels back
>Literally 5 minutes of action

Consider every tale of shady Hollywood suits adapting stuff, consider all the Sony leaks, consider the whole picture. What Snyder managed to create was a miracle itself. It was transforming oxygen in gold. Even with all its faults, the product we got is just too good for what we should have gotten from Hollywood.

Its also almost 4 hours long and never drags or feels boring. A feat only reserved for classic films.
>>
>>83225195
You what? It was legitimately dreadful. All that slow-motion and Mason actually fighting back ruins it.
>>
>>83224975
>Phillip Glass did Tranktastic 4 OST
>The ost is great
>wasted on that movie
>>
>>83225214
It's an amazing film but the memes are too strong. Lots of people here need to think it's shit for some reason.
>>
>>83224255
>his actor was a total miscast
He was great actually.
>>
>>83225214
>Its also almost 4 hours long and never drags or feels boring. A feat only reserved for classic films.
even the cut version had parts that dragged and felt boring
>>
>>83225214
No matter how much people defend it, it will always be a film that missed the point.
>>
>Sucker Punch was a 10/10
>BvS was a 10/10
>Watchmen was a 10/10
>people just don't understand Snyder
>>
>>83225247
>>83225283
Recess is over kiddos.
>>
>>83225297
Is
>The Watchmen movie missed the piint but lol don't ask me to be specific
the GOAT meme?
>>
>>83225339
>The lack of squid
>Ozymandias being evil as hell
>all the slow-motion bullshit
>Rorschach not being creepy
There you go.
>>
>>83225304
SP was a 6/10 (I liked the movie but the action dragged and was suited more as videogame)
>BvS was a 7/10
>MoS was 8/10
>Watchmen was 9/10 (it had faults but the source material is too strong)
>>
>>83225380
Switch BvS and MoS ratings imo.

>>83225379
(You)
>>
File: 1339801835111.jpg (20 KB, 397x488) Image search: [Google]
1339801835111.jpg
20 KB, 397x488
>>83225304
>>Sucker Punch was a 10/10
>>BvS was a 10/10
>>
>>83225297
Im pretty sure the squid wasnt really the point.
>>
>>83225401
>/a/utist in charge of understanding meme arrows
>>
>>83225379
>Muh squid
Not the theme of the work

>Ozymandias being evil as hell
No, he wasnt.

>all the slow-motion bullshit
5 minutes of action in a 4 hour movie

>Rorschach not being creepy
He was
>>
File: a-real-gentleman_zps77fc065a.jpg (44 KB, 309x394) Image search: [Google]
a-real-gentleman_zps77fc065a.jpg
44 KB, 309x394
>>83224027
It was pretty good tbqh desusenpai
>>
KAPE
I
N
O
>>
>>83225438
>Not the theme of the work
You misunderstood Watchmen this much? Showing how messed up the standard cape tropes would be IRL is the point of Watchmen. Taking the squid out damages this quite a bit.
>>
>>83225379
Dude.
That's fucking pathetic.
Watchmen DID miss the point on at least 2 consistent thematic fronts and it went way over your head what they were because oh no they didn't do this specific scene right.
>>
>>83225438
>No, he wasnt.
He totally was though. He came off as a slimy little SOB at best, and totally the villain at least.
>>
>>83225380
>SP was a 6/10
this is already too high, you're implying that it's an above average movie
>>
>>83225570
Daily reminder that film is a visual medium.
>>
>>83225570
The director cut is slightly better than regular. And there is supposed to be a better cut on Snyder's vault.
>>
I legitimately don't understand why people exert so much effort to defend the director of 300 and Sucker Punch.

I could understand if we were talking about /tv/'s favorite meme director Refn or Jodorowsky or something but fucking Snyder? Even in his interviews he doesn't come off as anything other than a manchild. He just consistently repeats that he wants to make something look "cool"
>>
>>83225606
You know it can be a good looking movie and still be shit, right?
>>
>>83225665
>you know that a book can be well written and still be bad right?
you clearly don't understand art
>>
>>83225665
V I S U A L M E D I U M

>>83225641
Watchmen is a good adaptation. And a good film.

Its not a perfect adaptation, sure. But considering the current state of Hollywood this was a far better adaptation than we should had.

It is also a good film. Sure, the book might be better, but that doesnt take from a the film.
>>
>>83224681
Manhattan stopped caring, detachment from human concerns is his whole character
>>
>>83225641
>cool is bad
wew
>>
>>83225695
Film isn't art.
>>
>>83225738
>cool is bad
that's EXACTLY the problem with Watchmen
>>
>>83225606
Film is a storytelling medium.

With visual and aural elements.
>>
>>83225438
Ozy's characterization was absolute shit no matter what you think of the film. Him not giving his friends loving smiles and talking to them sensibly was a big issue with his characterization.

Ozy's not meant to be the villain, he's meant to be morally ambiguies.

Also the squid was essential for three reasons.
1. It furthered the deconstruction of cape deconstruction
2. Getting the nations of the Earth to band together works better this way
3. Dr. Manhattan shouldn't be feared that way, it misses the point of him being a god who's above his human roots.

Rorshach was more badass than creepy in the movie. He's supposed to be a rightwing nutjob who has no semblance of social skills.

I still liked the movie, but it did miss the point of some of the main characters even in the extended cut.
>>
>>83225745
ok bud

>>83225763
Moore is a dumb fuck who didn't realize that he made something cool.
>>
>>83225695
The cinematography can be the best ever, if the script, acting and music are all garbage all it's gonna be is "okay".
Obviously, the best of the best (Tarkovsky, Kubrick, Kurosawa etc.) can do all three well.
>>
>>83225247
go to bed Alan
>>
>>83225780
>the widely celebrated original was wrong
>>
>>83225829
Who are you quoting?
>>
>>83225297
>the point of the comic was the giant squid

also its like complaining about Starship Troopers "missing the point"
first the "point" is up to the reader
and the movie isn't the book so it doesn't need to have the same "point"
and
The Heroes still seemed pretty "messed up" in the movie which I assume is what you mean by the "point" (people who would wear costumes would be mental patients)
>>
>>83225847
you
>>
>>83225890
Me?
>>
>>83225736
that came later. he didn't immediately reform and think "welp fuck everything now"
>>
File: 1463671215916.jpg (141 KB, 768x768) Image search: [Google]
1463671215916.jpg
141 KB, 768x768
Watchmen is up there with 10/10s like Turin Horse and Rashomon for me.

Batman vs Superman is around the Jagten (Hunt) and Mulholland Drive area in terms of quality.

All great, but Watchmen Ultimate Cut is Zachs magnum opus.
>>
>>83225641
Sucker Punch was the first movie i had ever wanted to walk out of. Not even Vanessa Hudgens in lingerie was worth that shit.

I'm not even a movie snob or anything, i can enjoy a lot of shit ( i love the Matrix sequels) but Sucker Punch was the worst
>>
>>83226029
It was probably too much for you to take in in what sitting. You should watch it, reflect on it and then go through it again.
>>
>>83226077
What kinda movie needs multiple viewings to be understood and liked?
>>
>>83226155
delete this
>>
>>83226155
Any movie that doesn't require you to turn off your brain.
>>
>>83226197
Name one.
>>
>>83224027
Philip Glass
>>
>>83225214
It's a shit movie though.

Half the cast looks like they don't even want to be there.
>>
>>83224027
>64 posts
>25 posters
I would not be surprised if OP is the one saying this is a masterpiece

The only good thing about this movie is Jackie Earl Haley. And honestly, it already looks dated due to its addiction to CGI everything.
>>
>>83226214
To most people, Batman vs Superman.
>>
>>83226347
Are you for real?
>>
>>83225247
this guy gets it, though. everything about that scene was overblown and unsubtle, from the generically omg so sad music to the slow-mo fight bullshit that snyder once again can't keep his fat mitts off of.

it was trying so fucking hard to make you feel sad and it was so hamfisted. it's the same problem with rorschach's death scene; snyder just doesn't know how to convey emotions without beating you over the head with a sledgehammer.
>>
>>83226394
Where as Moore conveys it by cutting to Night Owl splooging inside Silk Spectre.
>>
>>83225745
Comics are my favoritre but I think film is the highest, most emotionally evocative form of art because of the vast potential for abstraction as well as naturalistic storytelling and the marriage of audio and visual compsitions.

That being said. It'd be nice if more people talked about comics on this board.
>>
>>83225214
You are right, but you are talking with idiots that believe a 2.5 hours movie is "long".

They don't have the capacity of watching the movie and actually understand how titanic the whole thing is. The more capeshit there is the better Watchmen became. It was a movie that should had been out in 3 years, not 7 years ago.
>>
>>83225641
>I could understand if we were talking about /tv/'s favorite meme director
I honestly thought we were.
>>
>>83224228
>that Last Supper shot

what the fuck
>>
>>83225304
>>Sucker Punch was a 7/10
>>BvS was a 7/10
And extended will be easily an 8
>> DC Watchmen was a 8/10
>>
File: 1405285187747.png (617 KB, 400x635) Image search: [Google]
1405285187747.png
617 KB, 400x635
>It's a "popcorn garbage disposals with nothing better to do rustle the weekend away" episode
>>
loved the movie when it came out. i was seventeen at the time and had just read the comic, so i was at the right demographic for it.

now, though, i like it decently enough, but holy fuck, does it have some problems. it's no wonder why normies hated it and people are still divided on it; it's a horrible adaptation and was given the worst possible director.

>horribly miscast ozy and silk spectre. ozy is way too obviously evil and slimy, and laurie, the one character who could have benefited from having liberties taken with her character, was even more boring and unlikable that she was in the comic.
>horrible pacing. it's way too long and bloated. would have worked better as a two-parter or a tv show.
>shit slow-mo and obnoxious fighting choreography. some of the fight scenes look cool enough, and i don't have a problem with some of them, but they really hammer the point in that snyder lacks subtlety and wanted to make an action movie instead of a noirish, melancholy character piece.
>overblown, cheesy moments where, again, snyder is trying too hard to force emotion and doesn't know how to without it being a big, grand spectacle. see: mason and rorschach's death scenes.
>that terrible soundtrack. once again: snyder has the subtlety of a fucking brick.

i could go on and on. i still have the dvd and i'll watch it occasionally if i want to see rorschach's scenes, because he was really the only part of it that's held up, but as a whole? it's not very good. shame you can't say that around here without being accused of being a normie who doesn't "get" lord snyder's vision.
>>
>>83224027

>thinks it was good
>it was more generic dc origin shit

Of course op keep telling yourself that
>>
>>83225877
The idiots believe to be a good movie it needs to be a good adaptation. You are in /co/

Half of the people on this board has only went to the movies to watch SUPERHERO stuff and Cartoons this year.
>>
>>83226568
A 20 minute movie can be long. Entertainment time is based on perception. If you make a boring narrative, then it's going to be considered long regardless of its actual runtime. This should be elementary.
>>
>>83226632
I really hate that there's some people out there who seriously believe that Snyder is some kind of visionary director who people can't appreciate. Like goddamn, there's actual underrated directors in the world and you latch on to this guy

On the subject of Watchmen, I wouldn't have had a problem with it if it wasn't for all the slo-mo fighting and Ozy being a complete slimeball
>>
File: image.png (119 KB, 225x227) Image search: [Google]
image.png
119 KB, 225x227
>>83224027
I prefer the beginning of Batman v. Superman.

Say what you want about the rest of the movie but the beginning perfectly displays the sheer helplessness you would feel in front of people like Superman. Bruce Wayne is baisically the pinnacle of man with insane physical skills and monetary resources but he can't do anything.
>>
>>83224027
Nope, sorry, Sandman's is better.
It's one of the only good things about Spider-Man 3 but it's very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZZEtolFzFI
>>
File: You Just Dont Get It Bro.jpg (29 KB, 400x534) Image search: [Google]
You Just Dont Get It Bro.jpg
29 KB, 400x534
>>83224027
>34 posters, close to 100 posts
ITT: Snyder samefags his own thread
>>
>>83225738
Cool is bad when the point of the thing is that it's not cool.

>>83225775
I don't know if Ozy is meant to be ambigious or evil. I can see a strong argument made for both though. He's a well intentioned extremist but the story telegraphs really hard that everything he's done ultimately won't matter in the least to the point that it kind of makes it hard to see what he's doing as positive.
>>
I actually like the directors cut it feels more fleshed out but watchmen would definitely do better as a mini series.

That said it had some enjoyable sequences but as good as the actors who played the Comedian and Rorschach (hell I even like Niteowl) Ozy and Sill Spectre were atrocious.

The only worse female comic book character performance would be Janurary Jones as Emma Frost.
>>
>>83226760
One thing I don't like about that scene is how for some reason Wayne building wasn't already evacuated even though the terraforming had been clearly going on for some time now. It felt kind of retarded and forced to just have some guy in there die
>>
>>83226632
>overblown, cheesy moments where, again, snyder is trying too hard to force emotion and doesn't know how to without it being a big, grand spectacle. see: mason and rorschach's death scenes.

Explain this, those were amazing scenes. You're being a contrarian.
>>
>>83224975
Correct answer. Pruitt Igoe is the best

>>83225214
It would be great if Veidt or Laurie were any good. Laurie especially, everyone knows movie Veidt is shit but the lack of a compelling Laurie really cuts the heart out of it
>>
>>83225081
Why do people not like the slow-motion? It looks fine to me.
>>
>>83226686
It's just 4chan contrarianism. If critics and audiences loved Snyder, you'd see a complete about face.

Moviefags on this site worship Armond White for christ's sake.
>>
>>83226868
Watchmen is not supposed to be about having super-cool fights
>>
>>83225775
I was first exposed to Watchmen via the movie. I had no prior knowledge of it. Ozymandias came off as morally ambiguous to me, and my friends and I walked out debating whether he had done the right thing. Rorschach is definitely less inherently creepy in the film, but he was also very obviously the most insane, and it was apparent when I saw it that he was the most mentally unstable of all of them. His begging for death made it especially apparent that he couldn't stand to live in a world of grays. Obviously I'm biased, but I still think the squid thing is overstated by fans of the book. It misses some of the deconstruction of capes, but it replaces that with stronger Cold War parallels, which I think works fine. I absolutely disagree that a space squid would draw the nations together more than a threat that they are familiar with being unstoppable going rogue. And if you think that a god should not be feared, you've missed the point of most major religions.
>>
>>83226868
It looks cool. It's well executed.
It also completely misses the point.
Knowing what I know about Snyder now I'm willing to bet he doesn't actually realize Watchmen is supposed to be a deconstruction or that its characters are NOT supposed to be cool and badass.
>>
>>83226912
>>83226938
I'm not gonna lie, if the main complaints about the film fall this hard to death of the author, they're pretty weak.
>>
>>83226912
>>83226938
Sorry for being a casual in this instance, but I haven't seen the Watchmen movie and have only read snippets of the comic. I can see why it wouldn't make sense to have cool fight scenes now.
>>
>>83226926
>but it replaces that with stronger Cold War parallels, which I think works fine.
How? The biggest flaw in the squid thing is that it fucks up the whole cold war angle and justifies Americans getting attacked in retaliatiion.

You can't go "The superman exists and he's American" and then an hour later expect people to FORGET that. That familiarity the world has, with Manhattan being an American agent, even named after an American science program, is exactly the problem.
>>
>>83226868
watch the hollis mason death scene, the part where veidt is ambushed by the assassin, and the prison break-out scene and say that again.

it's so silly looking and it robs the scenes of any weight or impact they could have had. you can direct a good action scene and make it look cool without lazy techniques.
>>
>>83226805
>I don't like about that scene is how for some reason Wayne building wasn't already evacuated

Look, i know you are dumb as fuck, but in case of: a terrorist attack: you don't evacuate the building

In case of an earthquake?
You NEVER EVER EVER EVER leave the building

In case of a Tornado?

You don't evacuate the building if you don't know where the shelter is

In case of a Tsunami?

Depending on where you are you DON'T EVACUATE THE BUILDING

Is imple the people have no idea what is happening and as far as they now they are safer there than in the street.

What they did was not only reasonable, but right, there's a weird shit and 2 guys flying. Things are out of control.
>>
>>83226992
Why would Russia give a fuck if a giant alien squid attacked New York. That would be good for them.

Blowing up any major city in the world makes more sense as needing the planet to unite.
>>
>>83226992
That's why there's major focus on the American cities being destroyed as well. It solidifies him as a threat more potent than any nuclear bomb, while also using massive bomb blasts to pull that wool over their eyes. Could the US face some extra prejudice from other countries for having produced this threat? Sure, but they're not going to turn down the help of the one country that has been able to study this threat and potentially build counters.
>>
>>83226990
Ironic that suddenly Death of the Author is bad when it makes up the entirety of the defense of Snyder's works. Even when Snyder flat out contradicts it every time he gives an interview.
>>
>>83226766
Much as I raised an eyebrow over Raimi trying to make Flint Marko a tragic figure because he's his favorite Spidey Villain, I have to admit Raimi has superb skills at capturing the essence of a character's transformation.

You can feel his struggle trying to keep himself together. The same expertise was found in Peter Parker's transformation and Norman's, not the lab scene the scene where he wakes up alone in his mansion and starts hearing the Green Goblin. As campy as it was it was compelling. It's nothing novel but the use of the angle facing the mirror and the angle facing Osborn was a great way of showing who sees who as what. Goblin seems like something in the imaginary confidently coming towards the real about to break out, while Osborn seems like someone wandering helplessly towards the edge of himself.

Ock was also good, but the fact he was more evil tentacle than mad scientist felt a little lacking. Of course like Norman the implication is he IS in fact like this and is only having his inhibitions released but I wished there was a little more to suggest it. His frankness at the table and insistence to carry on the experiment were good signs, but compared to Norman basically ignoring his son when he sees a surrogate in Peter I just didn't quite get the same impression of a man with morals twisted enough to end up where they do respectively. With Osborn as soon as he becomes Green Goblin it seems like a natural process long time coming, with Ock by the time he's robbing banks, threatening Harry and fighting Peter he seemed like a different guy.

I'm not going to comment on Venom.
>>
>>83224681
>If you're going to construct a body for yourself as a god, why wouldn't you make it perfect?
He was still attempting to hold onto his humanity. Also you get the ship of theseus problem where he might not be able to hold onto any kind of identity.
He didn't consider himself any kind of god at all, he didn't want to be one, even at the end when hes considering going to create life he still sees his own flaws.
>>
>>83227040
>In case of a Tornado?

Everyone knows you tell your invincible son to get to the underpass so you can save your dog.
>>
>>83227052
>>83227063
Picture this. You're in Russia, and every day you're told "Russia is going to go to war. We're on the brink. Americans are going to wreck our shit and we can't be responsible for what happens. America is the hugest threat ever."
Then Moscow gets vaporized. And the survivors say "It was the American superhuman, Doctor Manhattan!"

Do you really think it's going to matter if America says "No guys! We were attacked to! Manhattan went rogue!" Why the hell would anyone in Russia believe that?
>>
>>83227129
Nice answer, quality argument there
>>
>>83226811
no they weren't. they were overdramatic and tried way too hard to make you feel sad. everything about them from the generic, sad music to the slow-mo (and yes, it's even in rorschach's scene, look at the snow behind him) was put in there for the sake of manipulating your emotions. i was an underage newfag with the emotional maturity of a tampon when i saw the movie, and even i rolled my eyes at the part where the camera pans out to show rorschach's blood in the pattern of a rorschach symbol. it's so fucking stupid and cheesy.

snyder is literally incapable of writing quiet, emotional scenes without shoehorning his retarded trademarks into them.
>>
>>83227145
Because they can see that several American cities have been wiped off the face of the planet?
>>
>>83227145
and why would the giant squid work?
the russians could easily believe it was some american super weapon gone wrong, there was no proof it was an "actual alien" other than their statements
>>
>>83227145
>Why the hell would anyone in Russia believe that?

Probably after the obvious breakdown of Manhattan, that he went to mars, that several american cities were destroyed.

Doc Manhattan is not different than a nation armed by murrika attacking Russia, or Americans Arming the syrians rebels, Everyone knows who was behind them, but you can't do nothing.
>>
>>83227145
This, pretty much. If anything, they're going to be pissed off that America couldn't control their pet superhero.
>>
>>83227155
No but for real Pa Kent telling everyone to go to the underpass was basically telling them to commit suicide and Snyder is a retard for including that in his movie.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Venturi_effect
>>
>>83226608
>directed by Zack Snyder
>>
File: 1461378331406.png (1 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1461378331406.png
1 MB, 1920x1080
>>83227158
You say overdramatic, I say melodrama is a respectable and valued tool in the genres kit.
>>
>>83227176
"It was faked. Those cities are fine. This is all an American trick."

>>83227196
Because the Squid has no origin. It's not literally declared to be a product of America. It wasn't *already used in American military action*.

Manhattan went to Vietnam. He's too visibly tied to America for the "he went rogue" stuff to be believable without a hell of a lot of set up, and Snyder didn't bother with that set up.
>>
>>83227206
Didn't he vaporize Hong Kong and London or somewhere like that too?
>>
>>83227196
>the russians could easily believe it was some american super weapon gone wrong, there was no proof it was an "actual alien" other than their statements

Except there's actually proof in the form of news footage, photographs, and a massive fucking body to prove its existence. They aren't going to question much if they have that.
>>
>>83227247
The Russian government has spies all over America during this time period. They have their own methods of verifying that those cities were wiped out. The people can literally go see for themselves at any time. This is a stupid argument.
>>
>>83227241
Less so when you're not able to recognize genre deconstruction and codifier like Snyder is.
>>
>>83227176
The idea a country would not eliminate potential unfavorable individuals/locations is sort of odd in an age where many people don't trust their own government.

>>83227196
They could assume that, but like Manhattan they would not budge until they saw where it's headed since it doesn't affect them yet. It just implies a potential threat. Something enhanced through Veidt's use of specific artists, specific visuals, specific conditioning through media and a little kooky psychic genetic modification for taste creating a shockwave of convincing dread and familiarity. The squid seems like an ominous sign to the people because Veidt had done a lot of prep work when you read carefully.

For the first time reader I can understand how this doesn't come across and so people think it's just spontaneous, but Adrian was doing a lot more than just killing costumed people in his free time. An anon broke down his scheme once and let me tell you that rich asshole was going hard.
>>
>>83227196
Russian officials could come and see the squid themselves.
>>
>>83227196
Not only did the squid send out a psychic message of its "homeworld" , but it wasn't the face of American imperialism, unlike Manhattan.
>>
>>83227286
When you spend 2 hours of movie talking about how the war situation is a powder keg just waiting for a spark, and that spark shows up, and the movie says that spark is American, you need to explain why suddenly Russia is going to be cautious and wait for their spies to verify that they haven't been rused.
>>
>>83227272
I meant the giant squid being an American weapon, they already have a superman and technology more advanced than any other country it wouldn't be hard to believe they were creating monsters too
>>
>>83227346
Because that's what happened over and over and over again in the real world.
>>
>>83227013
>watch the hollis mason death scene
If anything that was the only one that needed it, to hammer home that he was living the dream one last time.
>>
>>83227316
I think Veidt should have used more squids, one for the americans and one for the soviets.
>>
>>83227359
In the real world Moscow didn't get nuked at the height of the Cold War.
>>
>>83227409
All it really boils down to is, you don't like that they changed something, and even if the events fall within a reasonable fascimile of what could be expected to happen, your autism won't allow you to do anything but complain. Yes, maybe Russia would be too angry to play ball. Maybe they wouldn't. Both are potential outcomes that work within the confines of reality and the movie picked one. There were a lot of other countries bombed than just these two, and that probably would add to Russia's being convinced, but then again, maybe not. Who knows? It's stupid to debate whether something would happen, rather than whether it should happen, and for the sake of getting the point across, having the countries come together to fight a common enemy is what was supposed to happen.
>>
So what DO you guys like about the movie? There must be at least one objectively good thing in it that all of you autists can agree on.
>>
>>83227580
I think we can all agree that Jackie Earle Haley was bretty gud as Rorschach.
>>
>>83227580
The intro is great. The Manhattan origin sequence is great, even though they accidentally call a nervous system a circulatory system.
>>
>>83227513
>All it really boils down to is, you don't like that they changed something,
See here's the thing. I didn't read Watchmen until after I saw the movie. I didn't KNOW they changed something, and even then I thought "wait why is Russia okay with this?"
>>
>>83227580
I liked the actors that played Comedian and Rorschach.
>>
>>83227580
it gave us the best possible rorschach. my only nitpick is that i wish he would have spoke with the monotone he used when he was unmasked instead of a bale batman voice.

also, i'm sad we'll never see gilliam's proposal of using robin williams. he could've been really interesting if he had played walter in the same vein as the dude from one hour photo.
>>
I find it interesting how everyone always mentions Rorschach and the Comedian as examples of characters who were cast well, and Ozymandias and Silk Spectre as characters who were miscat horribly, but no one ever talks about Nite Owl and where he fits into this.
>>
>>83227790
Owl looks the part but I feel like he could have done better
>>
>>83227790
Nite Owl was too cool. He was basically Batman in the movie, but this is more a problem with direction than casting.
>>
>>83227790
He played the character he was told to well but I don't think he was told to play the right character half the time. His Nite-Owl is a good example of how Snyder kinda missed the point and made characters cooler than they're supposed to be.
>>
>>83227726
>my only nitpick is that i wish he would have spoke with the monotone he used when he was unmasked instead of a bale batman voice.

My overall issue was the use of that bale growl defeats the purpose of what's happened to Walter. He's no longer putting on a performance. He's supposed to seem like someone now completely in a trance, wording out pieces of their thoughts in barely comprehensible short phrases with a consistently flat expression to the few words. Regardless of what's even being said.

This all serves to make the two outburst scenes where he's de-masked by the police and restrained in the prison all the more intimidating because someone usually with an eerie non-presence in their speech suddenly snaps and starts roaring like a cornered animal.

Which I feel calls back to when the two punks were shit talking his mother and he meekly tolerates it up to a breaking point, turns into silent violence and then refuses to speak on the matter. Leaving bystanders confused.
>>
>>83227953
What? Owl was pretty pretty shitty, he was pathetic, the only good thing was the costume.
>>
>>83227790
It's because he's the middleground. Wilson is a good actor and clearly put in effort to fit the part but the writing for him was a bit wonky here and there. He's not flat out bad like Spectre but he's not amazing like Rorschach, just average.
>>
>>83227970
this is all true, and possibly another good example of snyder missing the point of what these characters really are. walter is as much of a victim as he is a survivor; he's supposed to be calm and detached and completely emotionless, so the scenes when he DOES show emotion by snapping are made more poignant. it's supposed to be jarring and frightening because it highlights how mentally broken he is. by being openly aggressive and growly all the time, you take that part of his character out.

although i think the blame can be put on snyder's shoulders for that. jackie earle haley did his best and it showed. whoever they cast for the HBO show, if it ever gets made, will have a lot of work ahead of them to surpass him.
>>
>>83227790
because patrick wilson is, as he's always been, a mediocre, uninteresting actor who can only play one type of character: nice guys who lash out if pushed sufficiently. that's all. that's literally every character i've seen him play. there's a problem if i can compare his performance as dan to the pedo from hard candy in terms of general temperament.
>>
>>83228002
except he's not, though. dan in the comic is a doormat who hides how completely selfish and self-absorbed he is under a layer of submissive niceness. dan in the movie is a genuinely nice, compassionate person who is every bit as heroic as he seems to be and lacks all the anxiety he had in the source material.

that's not too bad, but it gets really glaringly obvious that he's not really the same character when you see him start throwing these superhuman punches at criminals and actually being able to take veidt on man-to-man when even rorschach couldn't.
>>
>>83228002
That's why I said half the time.
He's a pathetic sad sack with erectile dysfunction, but then the prison fight scene happens and it's all "Look how strong and badass this guy is! His power level is maximum! He knows slow motion kung fu!"
It's incongruous.
>>
>>83228227
>because patrick wilson is, as he's always been, a mediocre, uninteresting actor who can only play one type of character: nice guys who lash out if pushed sufficiently. that's all
But thats exactly nite owl so I dont see the issue.
>>
>>83225304
The animated shorts for Sucker Punch were better than the actual movie which wasn't really good at all outside of being a visual spectacle. I'll defend Watchman, I'll defend Man of Steel, and I'll even defend BvS despite all the faults those films had. Sucker Punch is where I draw the line.
>>
>>83230631
>I'll defend shit if it has corn in it but cornless shit is where I draw the line
Okay buddy
>>
>>83225304
>>Sucker Punch was a 10/10
>>BvS was a 10/10

Not sure if Moviebob?
>>
>>83230764
Naw it's just another /co/mrade with garbage taste.
>>
>>83230693
It's more like I can find myself liking more than I hate in those movies despite being incredibly flawed but Sucker Punch has very few redeeming qualities.
>>
>>83227580
It looks pretty. Although it should be brighter like Higgins' color scheme, not dark brown and blue.

That's it. Everything else sucks.
>>
>>83224228
>lesbian whores
>flower in gun, then they shoot
>rorschach's and laurie's backstory
>moon landing with jon
>photo op with watchmen

Half of itdoesn't fit with the story, and the rest of it isn't very memorable unless you've already see the movie or read the comic, like the stuff with Rorschach and Laurie. It's good, but let's not go overboard.
>>
>>83225810
>>83225306
The flashbacks to old fights is fine, but it needed to be juxtaposed with the ruthless beating that he got.

>>83226429
This would be true, if it weren't a lie.
>>
>>83226760
I wasn't a fan but I'm not gonna lie it's mainly because I'm so sick of seeing Batman's parents dying. I do agree it was the best filmed version of it, but eh I've seen it so much it just bores me at this point.
>>
>>83226632
>>that terrible soundtrack. once again: snyder has the subtlety of a fucking brick.

This was the worst for me. Can he at least, AT LEAST, leave the soundtrack to someone else?
I recently rewatched it and when a shitty chopped up version of 'All along the watchtower' starts blaring as they're flying to meet Ozy, I wanted to just fucking end it.
It actually feels like I'm watching some 13-year old's shitty fan video. I'd rather have another generic score from Hans Zimmer, or even no music at all.
>>
File: 48938490328.png (158 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
48938490328.png
158 KB, 480x480
>>83224228
Why do people praise this intro so much? I get what Snyder was trying to do, but it's so hamfisted. That Last Supper shot is so fucking laughable and sums up why Snyder should not have been chosen to direct this. He literally can't do symbolism or subtlety.
>>
>>83233629
You do realize that most of those songs were in the comic, right? There's nothing wrong with them. They fit the tone and capture the themes well.
>>
>>83224027
it's not, the Death of the Elemental in Hellboy 2 is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdAzLjhojtM
>>
>>83233744
If they were used in moderation, they would have been fine, but they weren't and you know it. Every scene, literally every fucking scene, had to shove a period appropriate song in. Dan and Laurie going on a date? Let's blast 99 Red Luftballoons. There's a sad funeral scene? Put Sound of Silence in there so we know to be said when we hear HELLO DARKNESS MY OLD FRIIIIIIIEND. There's a montage of the passage of time where happy memories are becoming more jaded and violent? Shit, we need some Bob Dylan and his shrieky ass harmonica.

It could have worked if they were used sparingly, but they weren't. All Along the Watchtower was the only one we really needed, and it wasn't even placed well within the context. Everything else was annoying and obnoxious to the point of being unbearable.

Why they didn't just go with an 80s synth inspired score ala John Carpenter or something orchestral for the serious scenes, I have no fucking idea.
>>
>>83233933
Oh man this was surprisingly good the first time I watched this movie in theaters.
>>
>>83225152
It was distractingly big in the film
>>
>>83225304
>>BvS was a 10/10
nice bait
>>
>>83233999
Holy shit, thank you. Underrated post
>>
>>83224255
So much wrong in one post
>>
>>83230267
Dan is supposed to be an anxious wreck. He's nice, sure, but that's only one part of his character. When he's pushed to his limit in the comic, he doesn't seem like a credible threat; he's weak willed and kind of whiny.

It's really the opposite in the movie. I never got the sense that this was supposed to be a pathetic cuck.
>>
>>83238554
It's 100% correct though.
>>
because it's practically identical to the comic
>>
>>83224228
Wait a sec did the comedian kill JFK in the watchmen universe?
>>
>they cut out all of the scenes of Rorschach telling the doctor his backstory and the breakdown of the doctor's marriage from it
>they keep Dan and Laurie's sex scene, make it longer and completely unbearable to watch instead

JUST
>>
>>83232769
The whole point was to establish the alternate reality to understand in what kind of world the story take place; And it does a good job at that.
>>
>>83226608
literally nothing wrong with it, its fucking referenced in godfather for shit sake
>>
>>83238873
By an actual good director.

inb4 you or some other retard tries to put Scott the hack up there with Copolla.
>>
>>83233639
>>83226608
>>83238904

holy shit are you guys stupid, he is using it to foreshadow the comedian raping specter. She is in the jesus position and he is in the judas position.
>>
>>83232769
you obviously dont know shit about about cold war america
>>
>>83238911
>using it to foreshadow Sally's rape when she's already pregnant with their daughter, years after the rape in question and at the point where she and the Comedian are now in a consensual relationship

Are you autistic or just retarded, Snyderdrone?
>>
>>83238952
foreshadowing the REVEAL, LATER in the story goddamn are you going to be this fucking pedantic
>>
>>83225247
>>83225132
>>83225165

he barely fights back, most of it is him remembering the good times. he is basically taken out like a bitch. Really really, trying too hard.
>>
>>83238964
All it foreshadows is the identity of Laurie's father, it does absolutely nothing to foreshadow Sally's rape. Why would it need to when they show the rape in question twenty minutes in anyway? Also, he's not in the Judas position; he's in Mary Magdalene's position, and if you knew anything about the religious mythology you're trying to push, you would know that the placement of Mary and Jesus in that picture is the number one piece of "evidence" conspiracy theorists use to push the the "Mary M was pregnant with Jesus' baby" theory. That's why Snyder picked it to represent Laurie's parentage.

So I'll ask you again, faggot: are you autistic or retarded?
>>
File: Kissing_the_War_Goodbye[1].jpg (223 KB, 1204x1271) Image search: [Google]
Kissing_the_War_Goodbye[1].jpg
223 KB, 1204x1271
>>83238867
>And it does a good job at that.
It does an OK job at that. Putting a spin on some famous events like pic related worked well. Other things like the flowers-in-shooting-rifles didn't fit. Watchmen didn't seem to have anything against pacifists, and likewise didn't have lesbian hate undertones. The only reason the two lesbians in the comic died was because they got squid'd.

The Kennedy assassination, Nixon reelection, and moon landing with Jon do well to set this timeline apart from ours.

>>83238964
Yeah, It's not really a "reveal", they only share like a minute of screen time before it happens. If anything, they should have done it the new crew and Ozymandias as Judas, although the religious symbolism really doesn't belong in Watchmen.
>>
Love this scene so much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOSVAHXF4oI
>>
>>83239234
How do you think comics Dan would react to Rorschach's death?
>>
>>83238766
That's what is implied yes.
>>
>>83238766
It was hinted at in the books, at that party right before drunk Laurie contronts him.
>>
But why is the sex scene in Watchman the most embarrassing?
>>
>>83224228
>That Nite Owl saving the Waynes
>>
File: 1358726837855.jpg (35 KB, 667x670) Image search: [Google]
1358726837855.jpg
35 KB, 667x670
While I do think calling Snyder a visionary director is ridiculous and Sucker Punch is really a bad prolonged music video, I still appreciate his style for comic book movies, sure there are better written cape movies but they often look bland and uninterestting, its like the directors don't even try to come close to the comics visual-wise, I know CGI is generally hated but practical effects reach their limitations with cape movies pretty fast and Snyder knows this, he prioratizes visuals to come closer to actual comic panels.

He may be the wrong choice for superman(eventhough I liked his take on the character) but it looked way more impressive than Returns or Thor who always seems like he is just swinging a plastic hammer around.

Also we finally got the batman with all his gadgets and Ninja skills. I've been waiting for both Superman and Batman to finally show their true powers on the big screen since decades and Snyder seems like one of the few directors who don't shy away to do that.
>>
>>83241416
they should just give him a Red Hood movie, with Prof. Pyg as the villain. the guy wants to do edgy stuff so give him the edgy characters to play with
>>
>>83224027
>best bit of comic book movie ever filmed
>not the IM1 Mk2 flight check sequence
Boy you must feel awfully bad being so incredibly wrong.
>>
>>83241416

>I still appreciate his style for comic book movies, sure there are better written cape movies but they often look bland and uninterestting, its like the directors don't even try to come close to the comics visual-wise

Snyder can produce some strong visuals but with the exception of Watchmen he's actually pretty bad as a director. BvS was filled with so many bizarre directorial choices that drove me insane while watching it.

>every conversation is shot up close for no reason at all, every time someone is talking the camera is practically zoomed up to their nose hairs like I'm watching a slasher movie but there's nothing inherently suspenseful going on

>lots of the conversation scenes (the rooftop scenes with Lex especially) were just shot/reverse-shot over and over again, it's like the Plinkett jokes about the Star Wars Prequels but done entirely straight. It would be like five minutes of conversation with no new visual information and almost none of the conversations took place in two-shots for some reason, like they were stitching together random takes of them talking

>the Batman fight scene in the warehouse just apes the visual aesthetic and color palette of The Raid out of nowhere, with this large and mostly empty space as Bruce fights a million guys. No other scene in the movie ever looks like this, it's just Snyder stealing something he likes for exactly one scene and then moving on.

>the entire Doomsday fight scene looks like complete garbage with the exception of the space shot. It's just people being punched into buildings over and over again and Snyder repeating the same "jumping away from the camera to indicate speed" trick repeatedly

The whole movie was like this. It's clear Larry Fong was working overtime as the DP but Snyder didn't do anything with it, he somehow got ten times worse as a director since Man of Steel.
>>
>>83239191
there was a lesbian in the minutemen who got kicked out for being a lesbian
>>
>>83241741

I agree BvS was a fuck up for a lot of reasons but it wasn't only his fault still the whole situation brought some of his most horrible habbits to light, like overuse of montages and dream sequences, the soundtrack was also too heavy and the cinematographer was really pushing it this time with all those seemingly meaningfull scenes. I thought he was getting better with MoS but the whole production mess that was BvS brought his old habbits back.

some scenes and ideas were really great regardless and I can't help but be hyped, when I hear we are gonna get a scene with Atlantis and Aamzonians against an army of darkside.
Thread replies: 195
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.