[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Shazam, JSA and LoSH confirmed.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36
File: DC_Rebirth.jpg (58 KB, 575x271) Image search: [Google]
DC_Rebirth.jpg
58 KB, 575x271
Meanwhile /co/ only wants to shitpost about Captain Nazi.

>Will Shazam be getting his own book? What about Justice Society and Legion of Super Heroes? And what’s the strategy to rolling it out?

>"There will be a Shazam book. Not by me, but they’re definitely doing a Shazam book. One of the reasons they’re double shipping, the advantage to double-ship, is to take the number of titles and contract it, and the number of characters. Get these characters right. Then, slowly, when you’ve made sure everything’s working in a great way, then Shazam comes out. Legion of Super-Heroes comes out. Justice Society comes out. Atom comes out. All the other books can come out. But it’s important to get them done right first. It is hard to launch 52 books, and make them all great. I think it’s better to focus on fewer characters, then expand it as the emotional base is back.”
>>
>>83221419
>There will be a Shazam book

At last
>>
Source
http://www.blastr.com/2016-5-25/rebirth-dna-dc-comics-geoff-johns-offers-depth-breakdown-epic-new-comic
>>
>>83221451
FINALLY
>>
CREATIVE TEAMS WHEN

EXPECTED RELEASE DATE WHEN
>>
>>83221419
Good. Watching /co/ whine when they will be cancelled will be great.
>>
>On facing the challenges of the New 52 universe:

>“I think it’s good to be honest about what the problems are in the DC Universe, and go straight at them. That’s what I did. Whenever I do a book, that’s just what I go to. For this, it was a different kind of exercise and creative outlet, but that’s what everyone trying to do.”

>How he found the emotional core of Rebirth:

>“I was like, ‘Wow, I have to do a lot.’ I set up a whiteboard and wrote ‘DC.’ Legacy, that was a big one. It’s gone! I wrote the JSA for nine years. Of course I’m upset they don’t exist. That’s nine years of my life that’s gone! I am proud of that run. And to see the JSA wiped out? The same thing with the Teen Titans. I am completely open to change, but I also don’t like the slash and burn of history. But legacy, hope, optimism, heart, relationships, epic storytelling, cohesion, a big story, a plan. I looked at all that, and had to craft a story that addresses these 10 things. How do I do all this without being scattershot? Then I did this big parenthesis with an arrow and put ‘Love.’ I feel love and passion for this stuff so much. I have loved these characters for as long as I’ve lived. And I was like, ‘That’s what I’m not feeling.’ There’s something among the characters, something that’s missing. I didn’t feel like people were excited about this universe right now. And I looked at that objectively, and went through that with all the editors and writers.
>>
>>83221593
>Regarding the tone of the book, the DC Comics DNA, and what he hopes people will be talking about:

>Really, it’s the DNA more than anything else. Plotlines will continue on, but it’s the tone that’s so hard to nail with this stuff. This is the tone of the DC Universe I always, and I think most people, really respond to. I hope it is evident in the read. Obviously the last reveal is going to momentarily overpower it as far as conversation goes, but I think there is enough in that book that I hope that will be a big part of the conversation … This is the DNA of DC Comics.”

>About stepping away from comics for a while, and the pride he has for this book:

>“You’re always nervous about a big book you’re doing, and since this is the last one I’ll be doing for a little while, my hope is people will feel something. But I am really proud of it. It is why I’ll fly to New York just to talk about it. It is because I care desperately about the book and characters. I find talking about it is just great. I put so much … a lot of this is conversations with friends. This is all that pent up energy I can direct into a book. If I am going to step back for a little while, I can step back with this one.”

>His favorite page in the book:

>“I love that hug between Barry and Wally. To me, that’s the best page in the book. Everyone will talk about the button or this or that, but that, to me, represents everything this book is about. And it doesn’t work unless you have that build up. You want to see him face death. I can’t remember the last time I saw a character face death like that in a book. I wanted to see him go, ‘Everything’s great, and we’ve had a moment.’ And Barry says, ‘We’re going to have more.’”
>>
>>83221419
Important question: will Captain Nazi appear?
>>
>>83221419
But will the real Captain Nazi appear?
>>
>>83221635
>>83221643
/pol/mind
>>
>>83221629
>Why he chose to tell the story through Wally’s viewpoint:

>“He’s my favorite character! … I love Wally West, I grew up with him as the Flash, I think he’s a great character. But more importantly, for everybody, he represents the DC ideal in such a wonderful way. He embodies legacy, he embodies hope, optimism, family, heart. And he’s been missing. He sees everything for how we see it. I felt like he’s the perfect character to be an entry point.”

>Will Flash, or other characters, feel guilt about forgetting those from their pre-Flashpoint pasts?

>“I will give you an example. I am going to spoil a book. Dan Abnett won’t kill me; it’s Titans: Rebirth #1. It is not about guilt. When Wally comes back and connects with Dick and Donna and Roy, Garth, it is a joyful reunion. It is not guilt-ridden. Wally would not let them feel guilt-ridden. And also, it’s a gift to have him back. It is glass half-full, and that’s the attitude they have to have, in my opinion. It is a reunion of friends.”
>>
>>83221635
>>83221643
(insert Marvel crossover joke here)

I think he was in Multiversity or Convergence though so there's likely no ban on using him
>>
I really hope I see Gary Frank draw Shazam again. Even more awesome if the writer is Jeff Parker.
>>
>>83221669
>Will Shazam be getting his own book? What about Justice Society and Legion of Super Heroes? And what’s the strategy to rolling it out?

>“There will be a Shazam book. Not by me, but they’re definitely doing a Shazam book. One of the reasons they’re double shipping, the advantage to double-ship, is to take the number of titles and contract it, and the number of characters. Get these characters right. Then, slowly, when you’ve made sure everything’s working in a great way, then Shazam comes out. Legion of Super-Heroes comes out. Justice Society comes out. Atom comes out. All the other books can come out. But it’s important to get them done right first. It is hard to launch 52 books, and make them all great. I think it’s better to focus on fewer characters, then expand it as the emotional base is back.”

>Some of it is long-term plans. Some of this stuff you’ll see in a week, some of it you’ll see months and months from now. You don’t want to dump everything out. You want it to breathe, and live organically. But there is a story to be told. The JSA is one of the casualties of a reboot; you lose some of that history. This is to say, there was this secret team and only Johnny Thunder knows what happened. And seeing those characters come back … This is probably getting ahead of myself, and you can read between the lines, but if Wally represents individual legacy, the JSA represent team legacy.”

>[And yes, he confirms that that is Saturn Girl on Page 19]
>>
>>83221712
>On the Black Canary/Green Arrow “almost reunion”:

>“That is one of the first pages I wrote. That page to me, embodies, again, what I think is lost. But why you don’t have to reboot anything. Just give those two characters those last two panels of feeling something. And what Ben Percy does in his book, which is great, is they meet and go, ‘Like I think I know you.’ They literally say, ‘There’s something about you,’ and you see that fun dynamic pick back up again. It is real hearty. And she says one of the best Green Arrow lines I’ve ever read, and it couldn’t happen if Black Canary and him weren’t re-meeting each other. He is showing his huge apartment, and he has got all this money, and she says, ‘How can you fight the man if you are the man?’ That’s a great Green Arrow line, and shows the relationship in a wonderful way. And Ben’s first story he’s planned out is about Green Arrow exploring that. It is more character driven than it is, ‘Hey look, there’s a Blue Archer now, and he’s a bad guy.’”

>What the scene with Constantine and Swamp Thing means:

>“We sat down with Constantine and went, ‘Swamp Thing doesn’t have a book, and he’s got to be in here.’ If it’s about reconnecting with loved ones, the first thing he’s going to do … Why hasn’t he gone after [his love Abby Arcane]? I asked that question arbitrarily and they were just like [shrugs sheepishly]. If we’re all about reconnecting characters? Constantine and Swamp Thing make a deal, and that plays out in Constantine: Rebirth. They go off on a quest to save Abby.”
>>
Yeah trust in Johns, acclaimed author of Darkseid War renowned for following through on his promises.
>>
>>83221712
So, prediction: they will stop double shipping at least 2 of the books by next January.
>>
>>83221747
He's promising someone else is going to do it, not that he's going to do it, so I feel more willing to trust him.
>>
>>83221671
Captain Nazi is too cheesy a villain not to use.
>>
>>83221419
>>"There will be a Shazam book. Not by me
Well fuck you then.
>>
File: legion.jpg (50 KB, 500x471) Image search: [Google]
legion.jpg
50 KB, 500x471
I'm honestly just so happy that the Legion of Superheroes is coming back. They've been my favourites since I was a kid.
>>
>>83221770
Aquaman and Cyborg, I guess. Probably Lanterns, as well.
>>
>>83221745
>The meaning of the Aquaman and Mera proposal scene:

>“That scene, and the prior scene, are all about love. Wally is being drawn to moments of love. That is going to help him get to Linda, which he is not realizing. The culmination of -- if Doctor Manhattan removed the moment where Arthur and Mera fell in love, and the marriage and all that stuff happened – Wally is seeing that stuff coming back. True love cannot be denied, and it’s back. When he feels that, he feels the tether and the pull to Linda. Also, they’re going to be married! That’s what characters who evolve do.”

>On bringing back Aqualad, and revealing his sexuality:

>“He’s a character I introduced in Brightest Day, and is on the Young Justice cartoon. I think he’s a great character. There’s a lot of characters who weren’t around in the New 52: Wally West, Ryan Choi, Jackson Hyde (who is Aqualad), Ted Kord. But Jackson is revealed to be gay in this issue. That’s the first time he’s said that. He’s a great character, and I love him.”

>The Superman mystery and death of New 52 Superman:

>“The way he goes out is very interesting. In Superman #52, he explodes with energy, and there’s just ash. You’re not sure what happened to him. There is a mystery to what Superman of New 52, and Superman of Lois & Clark are. We picked that up and said, there’s no difference between pre-Flashpoint and post-Flashpoint, so there has to be a new mystery between these characters. That plays out in the Superman books.”
>>
>>83221593
>“I was like, ‘Wow, I have to do a lot.’ I set up a whiteboard and wrote ‘DC.’ Legacy, that was a big one. It’s gone! I wrote the JSA for nine years. Of course I’m upset they don’t exist. That’s nine years of my life that’s gone! I am proud of that run. And to see the JSA wiped out? The same thing with the Teen Titans. I am completely open to change, but I also don’t like the slash and burn of history. But legacy, hope, optimism, heart, relationships, epic storytelling, cohesion, a big story, a plan. I looked at all that, and had to craft a story that addresses these 10 things. How do I do all this without being scattershot? Then I did this big parenthesis with an arrow and put ‘Love.’ I feel love and passion for this stuff so much. I have loved these characters for as long as I’ve lived. And I was like, ‘That’s what I’m not feeling.’ There’s something among the characters, something that’s missing. I didn’t feel like people were excited about this universe right now. And I looked at that objectively, and went through that with all the editors and writers.

Wow Johns really tears the Nu52 a new one.
>>
>>83221802
Honestly, who's the worst possible writer they could give it too?
>>
>>83221712
Wait a moment... Captain Marvel will return strong as he was before or remain in weakened version Nu52?
>>
>>83221822
I'm thinking Deathstroke
>>
File: 1394068325081.gif (437 KB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
1394068325081.gif
437 KB, 300x170
>>83221419
>Shazam
>Legion
>JSA
>Atom
>>
>>83221850
Blandnette.
>>
>>83221859
Him too. Dunno about Flash and GA, are they good sellers?
>>
File: ................Outrageous.gif (613 KB, 384x212) Image search: [Google]
................Outrageous.gif
613 KB, 384x212
>Shazam
Isn't his name Captain Marvel?
>>
>>83221850
Lobdell
>>
>>83221828
>About Pandora’s death, and her place in New 52 (and about those Watchmen hints):

>“By the way, that’s laid out exactly like the death or Rorschach. That’s the first hint that Doctor Manhattan is the antagonist. That’s why the first page is nine panels with clocks [a nod to Dave Gibbons’ signature artwork from Watchmen]. My commentary on that character is she obviously came out of the New 52 and had some kind of perspective on it.

>That’s the premise of the entire book. She goes out upset, but knowing the heroes are going to save the day. That’s what I want to see.”

>On Batman’s expression when he finds the Comedian’s button, and what it means:

>“One of, ‘What is this? Why did I find a button with a smiley face in my cave? Where did this come from?’ Pensive and curious. How about this: A mystery is afoot. There is a cool bit in Flash: Rebirth, and you see all this from Barry’s point of view. You have Barry’s narration, and Wally shows up, and they make this pact. Then Wally goes off to the Titans book, and you see a last scene with Barry and Batman, and they are talking. You don’t really hear everything, but they are talking about Wally, what happened, and the next step. And they need to find out what this is and talk to everybody about it.’”
>>
>>83221850
Jeff Parker
>>
>>83221850
Palmiotti & Conner
>>
>>83221895
>Which storyline will continue the plotline with Doctor Manhattan:

>“That will be a future conversation! That would be a good story to tell. And I will say, it would be a story that would not involve double-page spreads of super heroes smashing their fists into Doctor Manhattan. You have to treat that very carefully. It is an intellectual and emotional story. It is definitely not a 10-part crossover. That story is a special, special story to tell.
>>
File: 1345754197343.png (235 KB, 482x349) Image search: [Google]
1345754197343.png
235 KB, 482x349
>>83221895
>By the way, that’s laid out exactly like the death or Rorschach.

You really think we didn't notice that.
>>
>>83221876
>>83221893
>>83221913
What about the Dogfucker?
>>
>>83221451
praise allah
>>
Super hyped for Shazam and JSA, I've never gotten into LoSH. Someone want to pitch LoSH to someone who's never read any of it? I like pitching my favorite comics to people that have never read them
>>
>>83221853
What happened to his god powers in Darkseid War? He was a literal reality warper with Darkseid's dad giving him source manipulation.
>>
>>83221813
As great as the approach to Rebirth sounds, it makes me worried we're just gonna get Retroboot again.
>>
>>83221926
>it would be a story that would not involve double-page spreads of super heroes smashing their fists into Doctor Manhattan.

What you mean like how you introduced Darkseid during Justice League Origin?
>>
>>83221969
Lost them.
>>
>>83221850
Krul, remember he is back at DC with Bloodlines

>>83221882
Flash is good. GA is harder but could probably survive the first cut.
>>
>>83221947
Palmiotti & Conner are DC golden team. I can see DC givin Shazam to them
>>
>>83221998
Nobody is ever going to remember that Bloodlines is happening
>>
>>83221950

You missed out, JSA Storytimer just spent several months going through damn near every Legion book in existence.
>>
>>83222039

I forgot that Bloodlines was happening.
>>
>>83221950
I think the arc Johns did with them in Action Comics (Superman and the LoSH) is a good introduction. Sold me on the concept at least.
>>
>>83222095
Probably better to start with Lightning Saga.
>>
>>83222153

DC Comics has announced plans for a "deluxe" printing of DC Universe: Rebirth #1 with new cover art by Gary Frank and in a square bound format - and pushing the price up from the original $2.99 to $5.99. DC has scheduled this new deluxe edition for June 8.

With the first edition of DC Universe: Rebirth #1 sold out on the distributor level, some fans who might have missed the original one-shot might be surprised when this new printing rings up on the cash register at double the price of the original. Despite it's 80 pages, the original was sold for $2.99 in keeping with the publisher's public stance of keeping the price point on all of its books down to $2.99.

http://www.newsarama.com/29506-dc-universe-rebirth-gets-second-printing-higher-cover-price.html
>>
>>83221537
I think Orlando is bound to have one as well as King. Vision is ending soon, Sheriff will take a break before season 2 starts.
>>
>>83222146
I read everything out of order. Didn't really end up liking that one too much especially since it vaguely sets up some Countdown shit with Karate Kid iirc.
>>
>>83222181

Orlando is likely doing JSA, he's tweeted a few times about it.
>>
>>83221419
>Why he chose to tell the story through Wally’s viewpoint:

>“He’s my favorite character! … I love Wally West, I grew up with him as the Flash, I think he’s a great character. But more importantly, for everybody, he represents the DC ideal in such a wonderful way. He embodies legacy, he embodies hope, optimism, family, heart. And he’s been missing. He sees everything for how we see it. I felt like he’s the perfect character to be an entry point.”

Remember this any time someone on /co/ memeposts things like
>Geoff Johns got rid of Wally because MUH SILVER AGE
or some other similar bullshit
>>
Who's in charge of Legion Geoff. don't fuck 'em up
>>
>>83222247
That was always bullshit. He has brought Wally back twice now.
>>
>>83222247

We have a big post screencapped that explains just all the legacy shit Johns has been involved with to try and shut down that particular strain of shitposting, but I can't see to find it right now.
>>
>Shazam
I want Jeff Parker on it. Future Quest makes me think its the right kinda book for him
>Atom
Who currently at DC can write high-concept microverse traveling adventure sci-fi?

>JSA
Steve Orlando, if only because he's been tweeting about it and he's a solid writer to boot

>LOSH
Ideal choice would be Hickman. Its his favorite comic series growing up and he has a 60 issue plan worked out if he ever does get the job. Clearly something he's passionate about
>>
>>83221950
Like Teen Titans or Titans, depending on just how old they are, in the year 3000, and inspired by the legacy of Superman.
>>
>>83222308
>Who currently at DC can write high-concept microverse traveling adventure sci-fi?

King?
>>
File: 1420328265902.png (3 MB, 1900x1461) Image search: [Google]
1420328265902.png
3 MB, 1900x1461
>>83222302
I forgot about these tweets. You can tell he was upset about getting his JSA shit on.
>>
>>83222308
I don't want to read Hickman's Brainy.

>>83222308
>>83222326
Abnett?
>>
>>83221835
Eh, it's pretty obvious Flashpoint wasn't meant to be the reboot. I'd be pretty frustrated with that too, and he finally has a chance to let it out.
>>
>>83222308
>Who currently at DC can write high-concept microverse traveling adventure sci-fi?
Fuck me, for the last ten minutes, I somehow had it in my head that it was Capitan Atom, which would have been interesting, considering.
>>
>Shazam book

>Parker and Shaner already on Future Quest

C-c-could they handle a second book?
>>
>>83222413
There's no artist I can think of that can handle two monthlies.
>>
>>83222308
I dunno, Parker is best used to fix cluster fucks, the man is a wizard at turning shit into gold.
>>
>>83222393
Abnett on LoSH is more likely since he's written them before
>>
>>83222181
>King on a Legion book and Orlando on JSA

I want it to be true
>>
>>83222444
Porter juggled Superman and JL3K1 for like two or three months, absolute madman
>>
>>83222366
Who's dude with smoking pipe?
>>
>>83221950
It's a thousand years in the future, and most planets have races with superpowers. A bunch of young history nerds from all over the galaxy are inspired by the legacy of Superman and join together to become the Legion of Superheroes.

Stylistically, it's like a mash-up of Teen Titans and Star Trek TOS. Stories involve everything from evil sentient computers, to intergalctic peace-keeping politics, to time travel. And since they have such a long history and a huge cast list, there's really something for everyone.
>>
>>83222444
Land could do it

He'd essentially just be working on one book's worth of art anyways
>>
>>83222470

King on a Legion book is so good I'm scared to hope for it
>>
>>83222524
Starman, from the LOSH
>>
>>83222524
Legion Starman
>>
>>83222366
Also, that Atom comment. Ha!
>>
>>83221813
inb4 they get Levitz. Again. I heard a rumor that one of the stipulations of having Levitz step down from an editorial position was that he could basically do whatever the fuck he wanted with the Legion and he was to be the sole writer of any ongoing; or something along those lines
>>
>>83222550
Omega Men was so good, we need King on more cosmic stuff.

I want him on GL so bad after the cool stuff he did with Kyle but Legion would be great too.
>>
>>83222538
>I can't copy/paste fast enough!
>>83222553
>>83222556
Thanks anons.
>>
>>83222538
Only if he pays for a unlimited subscription at Shutterstock.
>>
>>83222590
After Omega Men and Darkseid War: GL I want to see him on a main GL book more than anything
>>
>>83222566
I really wouldn't want that but outside of the awful Earth Man stuff and the last couple of issues I don't think his modern run was awful. I just want better than "ok" and the choice of putting him on the book felt like desperation sort of fanservice rather than an attempt to tell a good story. Same as Shooter on Threeboot before him.
>>
>>83221451
been waiting since the new52 stated
>>
>>83222566
Levitz unofficially handed LOSH off to our generation. He said he was too old to be talking about someone else's future, more or less.

He could come back, but I think he's at peace.
>>
>>83222618
>but Geoff, I'm not familiar with GL
>here, read my books
That's what I heard, anyway.
>>
>>83221712

O R G A N I C
R
G
A
N
I
C
>>
>>83221419
This doesn't quite sound like an official announcement, but at least it shows they're thinking of him, but....
>Then, slowly, when you’ve made sure everything’s working in a great way, then Shazam comes out.
>Then, slowly, when you’ve made sure everything’s working in a great way,
>Then, slowly
>SLOWLY
How long? A year? Two? A lot of things can happen in that amount of time.
>>
>>83222645
What?
>>
>>83222630

If he does it they should pair him with someone to help with scripting and stuff.

i don't think we'd get Levitz again.
>>
>>83222686
6-8 months

Ala the New 52 second wave
>>
>>83222618
>Darkseid War: GL
God, more people need to read this. I was never even a huge GL fan, but that book won me the fuck over.

Also, Orlando's Darkseid War: Shazam was great. I'd be plenty happy if he picked up the book.
>>
>>83222695
That's what I read somewhere, like, King said to Johns that he doesn't know much about Hal for Darkseid War issue and Johns gave him some GL books he wrote and said Hal is the best.
Take it with grain of salt, though.
>>
>>83222308
Rob Williams?
>>
>>83222762

The guy doing Rebirth Suicide Squad?
>>
File: 68219844.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
68219844.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83221419
Absolutely based.
Let people take Marvel's bait.
Those of use who don't can stand witness to the ushering in of a new era of DC being wonderful.
>>
>>83221419
>his name is still Shazam
That's annoying.
>>
>>83222753
that one shot is so good I don't care what he read for inspiration

also he said Hal is the most fun character he's written so I think a King written GL run with Hal as the lead would end up fantastic https://twitter.com/TomKingTK/status/716715552606142464
>>
>>83222566
Kill me.
>>
>>83222801

It's a legal thing with Marvel, they can't use the name "Captain Marvel" on any comic book titles or anything so they just changed the name to match.
>>
>>83222801
>actually giving a shit about this
AUTISM
U
T
I
S
M
>>
Give me Hickman LoSH

I'm ready
>>
>>83222796
Yep, he wrote a crazy Martian Manhunter.
>>
>>83222849
Best since (but not exceeding) Ostrander.
>>
>>83221969
He was MAZAHS'd by Grail, and his powers went to babySeid.
>>
>>83221419
Shazam by Lobdell
>>
>>83222366
I find it odd that Johns(and many fans) believe tbe JSA only works with the legacy angle, when that is a fairly recent addition.

By himself no less.

Its like if would say Green Lantern is all about rainbow fights and that it doesnt work without them.
>>
>>83222961
>I find it odd that Johns(and many fans) believe tbe JSA only works with the legacy angle, when that is a fairly recent addition.
>By himself no less.
Power Girl and Huntress were additions in the 70s, and Infinity Inc (and to a lesser extent All Star Squadron) in the 80s was entirely legacy based

Johns did a lot for making the JSA "the legacy team" but to say he started the trend is not true
>>
>>83222961

In a vacuum? No, of course not.

But in a shared setting where they have to bump elbows with a dozen other superteams, it's a good way to differentiate them from the main Justice League and justify why they're held in such high esteem.
>>
>>83222838
Same.
>>
>>83222961
I don't know if that's true. You still had Infinity Inc long before Johns. It's always been more of the character growth and legacy thing for modern readers.
>>
File: 1261443728084.png (299 KB, 388x500) Image search: [Google]
1261443728084.png
299 KB, 388x500
>>83222953
>>
>>83221537
LOSH has gotta be Hickman, given how much he's been hyping it on twitter. I could see Robinson coming back for JSA but then again he had a pretty bad breakup with DC after Earth 2. Who knows for Shazam.
>>
>>83221451
Shazam or Captain Marvel?
>>
>>83222530
Any recommendation besides Johns' AC arc with them?
>>
>>83222834
On the cover. They're free to call him Captain Marvel in the pages, just refer to him as Earth's Mightiest Mortal on covers.

>>83222835
It's not like it's a minor detail, spaz.
>>
>>83223087
Hickman does nothing but troll on twitter, but he would make sense. The team needs a big name and Morrison doesn't want to do monthlies, Johns can't do monthlies, and I don't know anyone else who might be interested.
>>
>>83223030
>>83223043
>>83223059
Well Infinity Inc was expliclty a legacy team
Johns is saying the JSA itself is about legacy.

Dickbats was a thing, but that doesnt mean Batman is about legacy(Batman IS about legacy, but for a different reason)
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 313x240) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 313x240
>>83222953
>>
File: 001.jpg (616 KB, 1280x1968) Image search: [Google]
001.jpg
616 KB, 1280x1968
>>83222530
>Stylistically, it's like a mash-up of Teen Titans and Star Trek TOS
I really enjoy that pic related exists

>>83223152
Levitz/Giffen's stuff is pretty top notch

Reboot LOSH from after Zero Hour is pretty consistently good too
>>
>>83221895
>>That’s the premise of the entire book. She goes out upset, but knowing the heroes are going to save the day. That’s what I want to see.”
At least she died a hero.
>>
>>83223160
You're not wrong I guess, but the JSA seeding those characters (literally and figuratively I suppose) being a large part of the appeal to people also doesn't seem that weird? I don't know. Hard to pinpoint the aspects of things that stick with people. Like on the other side you have a team in the LoSH where it's explicitly a legacy team in concept but I don't think that's the main draw for its fans.
>>
>>83223251
So DnA stuff is called reboot and Waid's is called threeboot? Where did 2boot go then?
>>
>>83223356
"threeboot" was the second reboot and the third incarnation of the LOSH
>>
>>83223356

DnA is also the very end of Reboot
>>
>>83221419
>Atom comes out

FUCK YEAH ATOM BOOK
>>
File: image.png (423 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
image.png
423 KB, 500x382
>>83221895
>And they need to find out what this is and talk to everybody about it
>>
>>83223356
DnA is the tail end of the Reboot. Waid actually launched both Reboot and Threeboot. Without actually counting it up, I'd say most of Reboot is Peyer.
>>
File: How to draw like Greg Land.jpg (211 KB, 780x1126) Image search: [Google]
How to draw like Greg Land.jpg
211 KB, 780x1126
>>83222538
Daily Reminder.
>>
>>83221745
I don't know if I agree with this bit on swampy. It's great to have them in the same book, but Constantine is always a bit of a coercive dick to him.
The relationship with Abby, and why I'm so invested in it is because of the obstacles and distance it faces, first by the fact he's a weird monster man, then by her dying, then by becoming grey avatar. It doesn't somehow make them not love each other, hell, a lot of Soule's run deals with how much they love each other even though they're apart, like both of them making copies of themselves embrace even if that will destroy them. John's makes it sound like they're just going to become a standard couple, when this old setup was a greater display of love than simply sharing a bed and making romantic banter.
>>
>>83222181
King on Legion would be great, but I'm intrigued at the possibility of what he could do with Atom. I bet that shit would be nuts.
>>
Will he be called Captain Marvel again? This is all I care about.
>>
>>83223152
The Great Darkness Saga is excellent, but might be a bit confusing if you know nothing about them. I lent my copy to a friend who knew nothing about the Legion and she enjoyed it, though I had to explain some stuff.

Waid's threeboot has mixed reviews, but I think it's a pretty fun re-imagining of the characters.

And the silver/bronze age stuff is pretty silly, but has some great ideas and creativity. it's not for everyone, but I like it.

Once you've read a bit, it's pretty easy to pick out your favourite characters/team incarnations and find stuff with them.
>>
>>83223517
He legally cannot be marketed under that name, so no.
>>
>>83223517

Yes.

But only by writers who forget he's supposed to be Shazam, then it'll be "corrected" in the TPBs.
>>
>>83223251
Is the reboot the "Legion Lost" stuff?
>>
>>83223603
Legion Lost isn't the start of it but it's part of that iteration
>>
>>83221850
>Honestly, who's the worst possible writer they could give it too?
I was going to joke "Mark Millar" but then I remembered how good his expy was (assuming he wrote it himself)
>>
>>83223603
That was part of the reboot, towards the very end
>>
>>83223087
>taking Hickman's trolling on social media seriously
Anon...
>>
>Shazam, JSA and LOSH
Literal perfection.
>>
>>83222247
Aren't we officially blaming Barry's return on EVS at this point?
>>
>>83223638
>>83223681
Ah okay, what's the first bit of the reboot, then? Sorry about this, just can't fucking figure this shit out.
>>
>>83222393
>I don't want to read Brainiac as Ultimate Reed

this is what you really mean, isn't it
>>
>>83223733
Yes

>>MSG: Like with Hal Jordan, you had a critical place in the return of Barry Allen in Flash: Rebirth. What do you feel Barry brings to the DC Universe that’s unique among speedsters?

EVS: He’s the first Silver Age DC hero. I just love Barry Allen as the Flash. I was the guy who was really pushing to bring him back. When I would be in a cab with Dan DiDio, I would talk to him about the Flash. The series was having a lot of trouble and suffered through three relaunches that failed at the time. I said, “If you’d only let us bring back Barry Allen and let us do Flash: Rebirth, I’m sure we could get that franchise back on track again.” He would reply, “Oh no. He died a hero.” But I think we wore him down after some time, and he began to think it was a good idea. And indeed it was.

[Somebody yells from the con floor, “No, it wasn’t!”]

Ha ha ha! Must be a Wally West fan! But it’s led to Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato’s amazing Flash series, so all in all, it was a good idea. The Flash is working again.

And I wanted to be the guy who brought back Barry AND Hal. I wanted that just to be me. I gave up Blackest Night to do it. You have to remember, I had co-created that story with Geoff and I was supposed to do that, and suddenly the opportunity to do Flash: Rebirth came up. I had a choice and I had to think about that long and hard. I chose to do Flash just because of that, to be able to bring back both Hal and Barry. I figured that would mean more to me long term, even though I watched Blackest Night happening with my teeth grinding — thinking, “This is so cool! Why am I not drawing this?!?!” But I got to design all that stuff.
>>
File: lshv4-062-00fc.jpg (458 KB, 973x1519) Image search: [Google]
lshv4-062-00fc.jpg
458 KB, 973x1519
>>83223773
It starts immediately after Zero Hour, in LOSH v4 #62

this was back when they didn't renumber after every little thing
>>
>>83223850
>that spoiler

Can't trigger me again, EVS
>>
>>83223850
>[Somebody yells from the con floor, “No, it wasn’t!”]

>Ha ha ha! Must be a Wally West fan!

Holy shit what an absolute madman. Based. You got source?
>>
>>83223939
http://www.comicosity.com/interview-van-sciver-dc-universe/
>>
>>83223850
What a cunt
>>
>>83223939
http://www.comicosity.com/interview-van-sciver-dc-universe/
>>
>>83222538
Contrary to what /co/ has told you, Land is actually quite slow.
>>
>>83223966
Why aren't you finishing the Mockingbird storytime, PA
>>
>>83223447
God, I remember that thread.
>>
I'm happy to hear about Shazam and legion
But I gotta know the team on Shazam before I truly get hyped
>>
>>83224030
I briefly owned the domain http://greg.land and had it pointing to a swipe article on him.

Good times.
>>
>>83224020
I got distracted posting OMD
>>
>>83224116
you madman
>>
>>83221850
Venditty or Cameron Stewart
>>
>>83224174
CamStew would be ok if he drew it
>>
>>83223855
Think I got it, I take it I need to read the #0 first?
>>
>>83224256
oh yeah, that comes first

also it intertwines with the Legionnaires book starting with issue #19 too I believe
>>
>>83224294
Is that necessary reading or am I alright with just LOSH?
>>
>>83224341
I think you need both, although it's been a while since I've read them
>>
so,any chance the old lobo will get a book?
>>
File: 1418807315485.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1418807315485.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83224174
>Cameron Stewart

What if he did art too though?

>>83224341
They crossover a bit at the start and then diverge into their own storylines. You'll want both.
>>
>>83222366
I love how people bitched about this when the only title where he had full control was Green Lantern and it was all about legacy, it's not like Hal's return made Kyle go away.
Every single Earth GL had his own book or got it later, no one was forgotten.
>>
File: 1463952451710.gif (140 KB, 379x440) Image search: [Google]
1463952451710.gif
140 KB, 379x440
I really hope they don't put Levitz back on LoSH. That's my one wish.
>>
>>83224360
>>83224380
Fuck sake. Any good torrents around for them? Only thing I can find is comixology and that shit's expensive.
>>
>>83224418
I don't have anything, but ask in the JSA storytime when it goes up in another two hours. The OP ran every main Legion comic and might have a link.
>>
>>83224418
look for the LOSH chronological torrent, it has everything in order
>>
>>83224380
>>83224174
Wouldn't mind the art. I don't him touching the writing.
>>
>>83224244
He can't keep up with a monthly schedule. Also he needs to finish Seaguy.
>>
>>83224482
I've given up hope on Seaguy Eternal until it shows up in the solicits.

It worked for Multiversity at least.
>>
>>83224447
>>83224460
Ah wait, think I found one, thanks a bunch for the recommendations.
>>
>>83221419
>Shazam comes out. Legion of Super-Heroes comes out. Justice Society comes out. Atom comes out

Oh thank you thank you.
>>
File: feels marvelous.jpg (53 KB, 420x505) Image search: [Google]
feels marvelous.jpg
53 KB, 420x505
Things are looking good friends
>>
>>83224505
I've given up on it for a year or so. it was supposed to come out in 2014... Stewart actually has the scrips, he just hasn't drawn it...
>>
I think Cooke was supposed to draw this issue, Grant approached him but he declined.
>>
Finally I'll get me some Shazam. Thank you based DC.
>>
>>83224576
I think the issue he was asked to draw was SOS not Thunderworld.
>>
>>83224576
>>83224380
>>
>>83221745
>>“We sat down with Constantine and went, ‘Swamp Thing doesn’t have a book, and he’s got to be in here.’ If it’s about reconnecting with loved ones, the first thing he’s going to do … Why hasn’t he gone after [his love Abby Arcane]? I asked that question arbitrarily and they were just like [shrugs sheepishly]. If we’re all about reconnecting characters? Constantine and Swamp Thing make a deal, and that plays out in Constantine: Rebirth. They go off on a quest to save Abby.”

>All drawn by Moritat
Fuck yes, gonna be getting those trades.
>>
>>83224562
Most recent thing I saw

https://twitter.com/cameronMstewart/status/518128238087110656

>Seaguy Eternal is on the docket…after Fight Club and Batgirl. 2015-16. Swear to god.

Still a couple of months before it's a lie I guess
>>
>>83224593
He was asked to draw something Golden Age related.
>>
File: oh yeah.png (307 KB, 429x475) Image search: [Google]
oh yeah.png
307 KB, 429x475
>>83224626
>All drawn by Moritat
I'm in
>>
>>83221859
Yeah, but they got freaking Christopher Priest on that book. Surely that's a sign of support, far more than most of the other B-list double-shipping books are getting.
>>
THREE
MAGIC
WORDS
>>
File: 1463648073778.jpg (31 KB, 215x264) Image search: [Google]
1463648073778.jpg
31 KB, 215x264
The way I see it.

>LoSH
Tom King

>JSA + Shazam
Steve Orlando
>>
>>83224752
Fire Dan DiDio?
>>
>suddenly everyone is a JSA/LoSH fan
>>
So, can we all agree that Shazam was one of the characters that most benefited of the reboot? I'm not Pro-N52, but I love this new version of the character.
>>
>>83223204
>The realistic tone
>The realistic tone
>Realistic tone
Realistic tone
>>
>>83221950
>Super hyped for Shazam and JSA, I've never gotten into LoSH. Someone want to pitch LoSH to someone who's never read any of it? I like pitching my favorite comics to people that have never read them

Read the Great Darkness Saga.

It's sprawling space opera with well done character drama and a wonderfully epic scope, that gets to mostly operate within it's own freely-altered status quo
>>
>>83224833
Agree, I like the New 52 Shazam. Want to see more of him.
>>
>>83222178
I came back to my old LCS today to grab Rebirth, and they thankfully had a copy in the back. $2.99 for 80 pages was too good to pass up. Heck though, having something shelf-able might be nice.
>>
>>83224833
Geoff and Orlando have great takes on him. Same with Jeff Parker and Shaner.

He's not had a bad comic so far.
>>
>>83224827
they both have a lot of good waifu options
>>
>>83224827
>suddenly

Thanks to JSA Anon and her wonderful storytimes.
>>
>>83224833
Disagree.
>>
Anyone know where the hell they're going to follow up on The Atom and Blue.Beetle stories from Rebirth? Last I checked neither are getting their own book and those were the plot threads that got me interested the most.
>>
>>83224716
Wait, wait wait wait.
You're telling me Chris fucking Priest is back writing Capes?
Why was I not informed?
>>
>>83224833
I think people forgot where he was immediately pre-Flashpoint. It is very much an improvement. Though people arguing either way tend to go back to golden age while the MUH iteration for me is post-COIE Power of Shazam.
>>
>>83223433
Stern is a big part of Reboot as well, and Jeffrey Moy's art giving it the affectionately-tagged Archie Legion aesthetic--which was a huge relief after how grim and miserable 5YL got.
>>
>>83224956
Blue Beetle is getting a book

No idea about the Atoms
>>
>>83224956
Blue Beetles do have their own book. Rebirth special in August and starts in September.
>>
>>83224956
>Last I checked neither are getting their own book

You didn't look hard enough. Blue Beetle's has been announced since the beginning with Giffen writing and Kolins on art, and Atom was just confirmed to be getting a series in the same press release interview that name-dropped the JSA and Shazam here.
>>
I'd love Orlando on Shazam, since his one-shot was great, but I'm sure he'll do JSA justice as well. And yeah, judging by his tweets that's the book he's getting.
>>
File: miss you.gif (702 KB, 245x165) Image search: [Google]
miss you.gif
702 KB, 245x165
>>83224990
>have to wait two more months for Giffen Blue Beetle
>>
>>83224964
It's better than that. Johns and Didio were all "Hey, is Priest busy? Let's call him!" and they offered him something he turned down, and then said "What do you want to write?" and he picked Mr. Stroke himself.
>>
>>83224964
We've been talking about it since Rebirth was announced. He agreed to do a cape book as long as the protaganist wasn't black, because he doesn't want to be remembered as the dude who only wrote black characters.
>>
>>83224964
>>83225028
>DiDio: It's interesting. We called him. [Laughter]
>It's so weird because what you think is -- certain people, you take for granted, you think they're always busy. We're sitting around, we're talking about what a wonderful job, what an amazing job he did on "Black Panther." Everybody's going, "I don't know, are we gonna call him?" Everybody's like, "He must be busy, we haven't heard from him." Because if we don't hear from somebody obviously they must be too busy, and that's not the case. So we called him up, we talked to him about one book and it didn't click but he's interested in doing something. Okay, what's open? We pitched a whole [bunch of] different ideas to him and he really latched onto "Deathstroke." Because of that, this is a massive win. It was great to have him come on board. Editorially and across the board, we're all huge fans of his work. The fact that he's coming back to DC to do this is something really special.

madmen
>>
>>83225060
>>83225059
>>83225028

It's great to have a talented writer working on something that they're actually invested in. Can't wait to see how it turns out even though normally I don't give a flying fuck about Deathstroke in the comics.
>>
>>83224956
>>83224986
Did you niggers not read the thread? Fuck I know lazy fucks don't click the link, that's why I even posted it all in text format.
>>
>>83225060
>>83225059
>>83225028
>>83224964

I guarantee you they offered him Cyborg first, I guaran-fucking-tee you.

I'm exceptionally pleased he picked 'Stroke though. Really, anyone would have been fine, but the dude got carte blanche to pick anybody and that does gangbusters for my excitement.

Don't know much about the artists but fuck me it's Priest
>>
>>83224964
He was likely offered Cyborg but he picked Deathsroke.
>>
>>83225106
Yeah I don't care about Deathstroke either but I would have pulled it to try it if it wasn't doubleshipping.
>>
>>83225106
Priest is like the one person other than Joshua Dysart I trust to write a "mercs in Africa" plot and not make it suck like an industrial shopvac.
>>
>>83225149
You fool.

The doubleshipping is to put trades out faster.

They actually want you to start tradewaiting now, there's no need to be beholden to floppies anymore.
>>
>>83224964
who the fuck is Christ Priest and why are people so excited about him?

I don't care enough to look it up myself
>>
>>83225173
>We will never get Unknown Soldier back
>Imperium is over
>Two new Harbinger books going to other people (admittedly both look great)

Dammit Josh, I'm waiting.
>>
>>83225184

He wrote probably the best run Black Panther has ever gotten.
>>
>>83225028
>>83225059
>>83225060
Christ that's awesome
>>
>>83225184
Definitive Black Panther writer, also did Power Man and Iron Fist and Quantum and Woody.
>>
>>83225219
>>83225253
I see, thanks
>>
>>83221451
Get ready for the monkey paw effect
>>
>>83224917
Well classic will always be classic, but N52 works well as a modern version. The original was a simple wish-fulfillment tale, but this one has a bit more gravitas on it. At first I hated Billy but his character development was pretty good. It's about a kid little spoiled brat finding family again and chiling out.
>>
>>83225289
He wasn't really spoiled, just kind of hardened. What was bad was when Orlando just went full brat with him in the Darkseid War one-shot, though it had some cool mythology stuff.
>>
>>83225354
I actually really liked Billy in that one-shot.
>>
>>83225253
I will forever be bitter about The Crew.
>>
>>83225142
The artists are mediocre sadly... serviceable I guess, but I wish he had someone better.
>>
>>83225289
It's a blatant movie pitch that reads well. People just don't want character development in their capeshit. It's why new 52 Superman is deemed edgelord.
>>
>>83225420
To me it felt like someone told Orlando their opinion of new 52 Billy and he just followed along with that instead of actually reading anything with him. I absolutely hated Billy in that.
>>
>Shazam on-going
>Legion of Super-Heroes on-going
>Justice Society on-going
>Atom on-going
PRAISE BASED DC
>>
File: joy.jpg (23 KB, 257x276) Image search: [Google]
joy.jpg
23 KB, 257x276
>>83221419
>>
I wonder how much longer Earth 2: Society will go. As badly as all those characters got fucked over once Robinson left, I really do like them and don't want to see them forgotten in the same way that their pre-New 52 counterparts were apparently.
>>
File: 1308365070262.png (160 KB, 512x384) Image search: [Google]
1308365070262.png
160 KB, 512x384
>Legion and JSA

God damn there is some seriously sigiling going on here on /co/.

Fess up guys, who's responsible for it.
>>
Am I the only one amazed how DC managed to release their best decision in years the same time Marvel releases their worst?
>>
>>83225978
I regularly jerk off to Shadow Lass and Cyclone, does that count?
>>
File: geoff johns.gif (5 KB, 500x252) Image search: [Google]
geoff johns.gif
5 KB, 500x252
>>83225978

>catchpa: PROGRESS

yes it is catchpa
>>
>>83226002
But Marvel's got a bunch of normie outrage, surely that means there's was better....says fucking Rich
>>
>>83226002
Marvel have been making bad decisions for half a decade now. They gave DC plenty of time.
>>
>>83226002
>Marvel releases their worst

Nah, this isn't any stupider than Doc Ock becoming Spidey, and this will likely be undone in a shorter amount of time too. It's just the Cap twist is emblematic of Marvel's direction whereas Rebirth genuinely seems that a new step in the right direction.

Whether or not the new direction will stick is yet to be seen though.
>>
Hoping against hope for Parker and Shaner on a Shazam run.
>>
>>83221669
>He’s my favorite character!

He said this ten years ago. I post it all the time. Faggots will still insist Hal and Barry are his favorites.
>>
>>83226180

They're already working on Future Quest, but who knows.
>>
>>83221451
Why would they make an ongoing about the wizard before one about Captain Marvel?
>>
>>83226190
Ever since Barry came back whenever someone asks him his favorite character his answer was "The Flash." When they ask him to specify he says that he doesn't want to choose just one, just that he loves "The Flash."

Some people took that as him trying to be kind to Wally fans since he basically just ushered in Wally's demise but Johns is probably a bit more idealistic than downtrodden fans and it was the reverse -- his favorite is Wally but the company line is Barry so he wanted to support them both.
>>
>>83226286
Yeah, the thing is you don't get to a position that high in the company without being diplomatic and shilling more often than criticizing.

If I were Geoff, I'd suck whatever dick I had to suck if that's what it takes to get high enough on the ladder where you have the power to fix all the things that you KNOW are broken without anyone getting in your way, because you KNOW that you're the only motherfucker in the company who GETS it.

If you want something done right, you gotta do it yourself.
>>
>>83226516
He has a movie industry background, he knows this shit better than many.
>>
>The Superman mystery and death of New 52 Superman:

>“The way he goes out is very interesting. In Superman #52, he explodes with energy, and there’s just ash. You’re not sure what happened to him. There is a mystery to what Superman of New 52, and Superman of Lois & Clark are. We picked that up and said, there’s no difference between pre-Flashpoint and post-Flashpoint, so there has to be a new mystery between these characters. That plays out in the Superman books.”

>there’s no difference between pre-Flashpoint and post-Flashpoint

Johns confirming that they are one and the same universe.
>mfw Rebirth literally un-rebooted the New 52
That's pretty fucking clever
>>
>>83222961
He's not wrong, though. JSA stories that aren't about either WWII or being old mentors don't work. Nu52 Earth-2 has been so terrible for precisely that reason.

You can't reimagine Jay Garrick and Alan Scott as young, virile rookies and expect anyone in the world to give a shit about them in that state unless it's a flashback to the Hitler-punching days.
>>
>>83226516

Which is what Rebirth pretty much is. He worked his ass to be high enough on the totem pole to get this off his chest, and it's a pretty major mic drop to give before he goes off to work in DC's live-action properties.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 36

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.