[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Beijing Opera Cats
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 18
File: Image1.png (192 KB, 478x555) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
192 KB, 478x555
Has anybody heard about this Chinese cartoon before? All 20 episodes are now online - in Chinese - and while they cut a lot of corners I can't help but find it somewhat charming. I read about it long ago in a magazine and have been following its development for a number of years, but for the longest time, I thought it was cancelled. It was supposed to have an English dub, but that doesn't seem to exist yet.

China wants to become a heavy player in the animation industry. This was touted as a prime example of that. This does show they still have a long way to go, but at least they're trying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meH505Iso00
>>
File: Image2.png (359 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
Image2.png
359 KB, 1280x720
Nothing, huh? Guess I'm not sure what I expected. I know it's pretty anime, but /a/ would never accept it as one of their own since it's Chinese. Without an English dub, I guess it's just a novelty at this point.
>>
File: e3406ca9gw1ezojqkmfx9j20xc0xc49n.jpg (411 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
e3406ca9gw1ezojqkmfx9j20xc0xc49n.jpg
411 KB, 1200x1200
One last - attempt - at a bump. Maybe I posted too early last time, but it didn't work.

The show even has some Chinese fan art.
>>
bump for interest
>>
Here's a montage scene from episode 4.
>>
Since I wasn't the only poster in this thread, I'll post a few more things.

>Jing comes from a school of Beijing Opera Cats where the females wear extraordinarily long sleeves to enhance the appearance of their dance. Jing is one feisty girl who can also use her sleeves to slap, bind and twirl her foes to their knees.
>>
File: dofus-kerubs-bazaar.jpg (194 KB, 703x395) Image search: [Google]
dofus-kerubs-bazaar.jpg
194 KB, 703x395
Digging the Dofus-like vibe. I love this.
>>
>>83223784
Its production quality isn't as high, but for a Chinese cartoon, I am surprised by the amount of effort they put into it.
>>
File: 1.jpg (192 KB, 2112x594) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
192 KB, 2112x594
This is the mural for their closing credits, split into three parts due to its size. These will probably be my last posts unless more interest is developed.
>>
File: 2.jpg (206 KB, 2112x594) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
206 KB, 2112x594
>>
File: 3.jpg (199 KB, 1894x594) Image search: [Google]
3.jpg
199 KB, 1894x594
>>
>>83219648
That theme is god tier at the very least
>>
>>83224886
This is the full song set to clips from the show. It was all I managed to find prior to the episodes today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qAm703O_SuA
>>
>>83219648
Out of curiosity how hard is it to get a foreign country cartoon to air in America.
>>
>>83225190
It really all boils down to money, doesn't it? I would imagine most networks, especially ones starved for content, wouldn't turn down a new show if it was practically free. But everybody wants what they're owed. Networks aren't going to take a gamble and pay big on an unknown property, and distributors aren't ever going to try to charge less. Considering the amount of anime that doesn't get picked up in the states, things like this Chinese cartoon, or Europe's Geronimo Stilton series, don't have much of a chance in hell.
>>
I just know if this thread dies, another thread will probably not be made in a very long time. Forgive me for yet another bump.
>>
>>83223672

>Beijing Opera
>Females

Kek. She's probably got a dick, anon.
>>
File: Image1.png (1 MB, 1341x963) Image search: [Google]
Image1.png
1 MB, 1341x963
>>83228216
As if the commies would allow that.
>>
>>83219648
i've seen a few threads for it but that was before we had any eps to talk about
>>
>>83219648
Looks neat. Hopefully we'll get some subs for it at least
>>
File: e3406ca9gw1ezojqis9dsj21kw1gzgv6.jpg (355 KB, 2048x1907) Image search: [Google]
e3406ca9gw1ezojqis9dsj21kw1gzgv6.jpg
355 KB, 2048x1907
More Chinese fan art. All of this stuff is posted on those creepy government approved blog sites and stuff.
>>
File: e3406ca9gw1ezojqji02lj20rs14d78a.jpg (154 KB, 1000x1453) Image search: [Google]
e3406ca9gw1ezojqji02lj20rs14d78a.jpg
154 KB, 1000x1453
>>
>>83231501
The musician guy with a mask has a surprising amount of humanized fan art. They seem to like him.
>>
>>
File: 1.webm (1 MB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1.webm
1 MB, 640x360
Here he is in the show.
>>
The compression on this webm is awful, but it was a long scene and I had to try to squeeze it all in.
>>
If this thread survives the night, I'll try to find some more stuff to post.
>>
>>83219648
My country's public television service seems to obtain many Chinese cartoons to air much recently (being cheaper for such underfunded stations)...none of them look quite to be as a decent watch as this.

It's the one with the missing planes.
>>
>>83219648
If people still talk about it in a few months, maaaaaaybe it's good. So far I only seen a trailer, and it was full of flashy nothing.
>>
>>83224971

Okay I could actually enjoy this.

But I'll have to wait for subtitles.
>>
So... what kind of fanart of this would piss off the Chinese government the MOST? Yaoi with taiwan or Tibet?
>>
I was going to translate the lyrics to the opening theme, but then soon realised that they were ludicrously corny when not in Chinese. But I thought I'd dig out some classic Chinese animation. None of this stuff is likely to be considered stellar, but it's still pretty fun I'd say.

Havoc in Heaven (1964). There should be an accompanying animated series retelling the entire story of Journey to the West but I can't find it. Anyway this iteration of Sun Wukong became the character's most iconic look in years to come, and a Google doodle was made in its honour. Follow the Monkey King as he fights his way through the pantheon of Chinese gods.
https://youtu.be/kyZ4kvJl1jY

Nezha Conquers the Dragon King (1979)(literal translation: Nezha Rages the Sea) first screened at the Cannes Film Festival. It tells the story of how the deity Nezha saves his town from the dragon king (and eventually just beats him up for vengeance). It won nothing internationally, but was greeted with quite some praise anyway. In 2014 IIRC a Google doodle was also made to commemorate it in Hong Kong and Taiwan.
https://youtu.be/E0sq2PMkR2c

Calabash Brothers (1986). Plot synopsis: an old man discovers magical gourds that hatches into kids and adopts said kids, but for reasons I can't remember they end up having to fight some demons. Pretty fun, each kid has a different power, the only thing subbed here is the title though (sadly).
https://youtu.be/HbC88d_BULw
>>
My Chinese and subbing skills could use a little workout. I don't know if I have the time to take on a big project right now, but if I do I'll see if there's anything I can put together.
>>
Okay, here's a transcription and rough translation of the first few minutes.

http://pastebin.com/W5HTr5zs
>>
I can't really find anything else worth posting.

>>83239632
Thank you.
>>
File: 1409944195097.jpg (10 KB, 358x270) Image search: [Google]
1409944195097.jpg
10 KB, 358x270
I never thought I'll say this but this kind of animation could work better as flash instead of hand drawn
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 18

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.