[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/co/ what are some essential or excellent Xmen stories i should
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: RCO001 (2).jpg (1 MB, 2063x3131) Image search: [Google]
RCO001 (2).jpg
1 MB, 2063x3131
/co/ what are some essential or excellent Xmen stories i should read, anytime i try to read the stuff i get put off and drop it
>>
Phoenix Saga
Fall of the Mutants
Inferno
Xmen/Micronauts mini
Claremont/Miller Wolverine
Windsor Smith Weapon X
Remender's X-Force
anything by Spurrier
>>
do you mean story arcs or full runs by writers?

Days of the future past by Claremont is quite good, and very self contained, it was also very influential, as in, it did Terminator and Back to the Future years before they existed.

If you want something recent read Gillen's Uncanny X-Men, all of it since it was quite short, like 20 issues. And the Consequences of Avengers vs X-Men by him too. Although you may also need to read the Avengers vs XMen event which isnt very good.

I like the whole Morrison run of New X-Men, that was like 3 or 4 years, from 2000 to 2004 iirc. Although most people dont like the last story arc about an alternative future.
>>
>>83216080
New X-Men
Remender's X-Force
David's X-Factor
Wolverine MAX
X-Statix
Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
>>
>>83216245
>I like the whole Morrison run of New X-Men, that was like 3 or 4 years, from 2000 to 2004 iirc. Although most people dont like the last story arc about an alternative future
I liked it too... But whether you like it or not it's a must read because it completely changes the direction that x-men was going. It brought a lot of new life to the franchise.
>>
>>83216245
I wouldnt mind either story arcs or full runs by writers thanks for the suggestions my man
>>
>>83216080
Morrison's New Xmen
Whedons Astonishing
Claremont Wolverine
Yost and Remender's X-force Books
The Messiah trilogy
Utopia
Nation X
The Phoenix Saga
executioners song
Fall of the Mutans
Age of Apocalypse (the classic one not the 2005 one)
>>
>>83216080
Inferno is great, it's mainly an x-men cross over but some non x-men characters are in it like based black suit spider-man. Age of Apocalypse and x-tinction agenda is great too.
>>
>>83216805
Just off that description inferno is gonna be up first
>>
>>83216080
If you want to read the definitive X-Men (i.e., the version of the X-Men that forms the basis of its significance in contemporary pop culture), what you need to read is the landmark Chris Claremont run on Uncanny X-Men, and some accessory stuff like New Mutants.

The funny thing is Claremont's success on Uncanny X-Men proved to be the title's own undoing. By early 1986, X-Men was so popular that editorial and Marvel's marketing department started having a much bigger say in the plots.

Personally, I think the essential Claremont stuff spans the period from 1975 to late 1985. Anything after that, in my mind, is pretty much optional reading.

Here's a rough reading guide.

The core reading experience:
- Giant Size X-Men #1 (May 1975) [Yeah, it's written by Len Wein, but it introduces the "All-New, All-Different" X-Men team]
- Uncanny X-Men #94–#201 (August 1975–January 1986) [covers all the acknowledged classic Claremont stories, including the Phoenix Saga, the Proteus Saga, the Dark Phoenix Saga, Days of Future Past, the Brood Saga, From the Ashes, the LifeDeath stories, and the Trial of Magneto]
- Marvel Graphic Novel #4: X-Men—God Loves, Man Kills (January 1983) [An out-of-continuity standalone story, but it is probably the best entry point to Claremont's X-Men for someone who's never read comics before]

Recommended (but not necessarily essential) reading:
- Wolverine #1–#4 (September–December 1982)
- Marvel Graphic Novel #4: The New Mutants (November 1982)
- New Mutants #1–#35 (March 1983–January 1986)
>>
>>83219628
Typo alert, I meant to write "Marvel Graphic Novel #5" for X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills.
>>
>>83219628
Cool man thanks for the list im gonna check all these out
>>
I actually would say that you should ignore morrison's run, as it was awful
>>
>>83219714
No problem. The good thing about the list, too, is that all those issues came before crossovers were a regular thing (there are only a few Secret Wars tie-ins, and they're largely unobtrusive) so it's a consistent, self-contained reading experience. You don't have to worry about one writer contradicting something another writer wrote.
>>
>>83219794
agreed, it's just satire
>>
>>83216185
>Phoenix Saga
By "Phoenix Saga" I hope you mean everything starting with UXM #97 and not just starting at what the trades for Dark Phoenix usually collect since having the entire story is important and you're losing out on great ones like the Proteus Saga too. Claremont's New Mutants series is some great stuff and IMO better than even the main X-Men book.
>>
>>83219628
>An out-of-continuity standalone story
Claremont wrote a sequel to it as an arc in X-Treme X-Men so it's actually canon.
>>
>>83217943
Inferno is kinda the climax of everything that happens post phoenix must die
>>
>>83221829
"God Loves, Man Kills" wasn't meant to be "canon" in terms of the main book's continuity when it was originally written (see pic, it's from a Chris Claremont interview that's been reprinted in various, more recent editions of the graphic novel).

It was originally intended to be a standalone book, set in a world where superheroes don't really exist outside of the X-Men. At some point, however, parts of it started seeping into the main continuity (Stryker showing up, etc.), but I'm guessing that was the result of editorial pressure (the book sold well, and continues to be a top-seller for Marvel three decades after its debut, which is something of a rarity for a standalone Marvel volume).
>>
>>83223578
Oh, just to add, the "Weezie" and "Brent" that Claremont refers to in the interview is editor Louise Simonson (I think she still went by Louise Jones back in 1982) and artist Brent Anderson.

I'm not sure what year this interview was conducted, though. The interview can be found in the first printing of the second edition (published in 2011) but I'm assuming it was conducted before then. If I had to guess, the interview probably happened around 2003/2004, since the second edition's introduction (written by Claremont) is dated March 2003. I don't know if his opinion about spin-offs from "God Loves, Man Kills" diminishes the original work still holds true or if he's changed his mind since.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.