[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I really don't understand what the big deal is with the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9
File: NaziCap.png (2 MB, 948x712) Image search: [Google]
NaziCap.png
2 MB, 948x712
I really don't understand what the big deal is with the Captain America thing. This kind of thing literally happens all the time in comics. In a couple of months it will turn out he was brainwashed or some shit and things will go back to normal
>>
It came out at the exact same time Captain America was reaching the peak of his popularity and mainstream recognition with Civil War. People probably feel like Captain America in a lot of ways has come to be the iconic good natured hero Superman was once regarded as and are tired of shock based subversion.
>>
>>83216023
it's just that now, with Marvel movies, people pay more attention to the comic characters. In addition to this, the internet is always a sewer where a minority is always trying to do a lot of noise for the most stupid things.
>>
>>83216069
Captain America will never be iconic. It's just twitter people. It's pointless.
>>
>>83216215
>Captain America will never be iconic
Cap's been pretty damn iconic for like 60 years, dude.
>>
>>83216215
I think he's become fairly iconic honestly.
>>
>>83216023
>This kind of thing literally happens all the time in comics.
Because the people complaining aren't the kind of people who actually read comics.
>>
>>83216023
>I really don't understand
seems to be the story of your """""""""life""""""""""
>>
File: iconic.jpg (47 KB, 347x443) Image search: [Google]
iconic.jpg
47 KB, 347x443
>>83216435
You can "become" iconic. There's nothing iconic about the character.

>>83216419
No. You dumb fucks use that workd without knowing what it means, Not even spiderman is considered iconic.
>>
>>83217601
>goalpost moving
>>
>>83216023

Because retards need something to be outraged about. That's this generation in a nutshell. Overly sensitive faggots that cry endless bitch tears because their funny books confronted them with scary ideas.
>>
>>83217601
There are quite a few distinct pieces of iconography with Captain America though.
>>
>>83216023
Pretty sure that's Burnside in OP's image, I can see some Secret Empire goons in the back.
>>
>>83217636

you can't see, even a little bit, how it might be less interesting for people born, raised, and living outside the US, to read about Cap?

I mean there are manga characters that have existed for many decades, that are iconic in Japan, that I will never know or care about.

I think anon maybe have been pointing out that while cap is very iconic in the US outside of it he's less iconic for pretty obvious reasons.
>>
>>83217844
An icon doesn't need to be international to be an icon. Uncle Sam is by every definition an icon, but there are plenty of people in Uganda who have never heard of him.
>>
File: Royal airforce.png (4 KB, 255x198) Image search: [Google]
Royal airforce.png
4 KB, 255x198
>>83217636
>>83217700
There's nothing iconic about the character, the Shield can't be considered iconic.
Captain america isnt iconic, you can simplify the character and still get who you are talking about, but for someone that doesnt spend his time on a comics board, someone outside the target audience it means nothing. Ask a peruvian farmer about an image of the shield and he will ask you if is something about Chile, Ask a welsh veteran from the WW2 and he will say it looks like an american version of pic related.

Captain America isnt Iconic. Superman and Batman can be turned into a simplified silhouette or Logo. Captain's america's logo is an A.
>>
>>83218002
>goalpost moving and hole digging
>>
>>83217844
>>83217879

The flicks have ensured that 'The First Avenger' is internationally iconic. Show the shield symbol to people from any country in the world and they will likely recognise it (provided they have access to Hollywood flicks)
>>
>>83218002
I think what you're saying isn't wrong, but you are using such an odd definition of "iconic" that literally no other person in the world uses.
>>
File: uncle sam.jpg (32 KB, 250x367) Image search: [Google]
uncle sam.jpg
32 KB, 250x367
>>83217879
>An icon doesn't need to be international to be an icon

Actually it has to, to be iconic it needs to be understandable by the people with the lowest exposure to the character possible. Mickey and Superman are Iconic, Cap? is not. He is Popular, and you are a retard if you think people don't know who Uncle sam is.

Uncle Sam has been used in political stuff everywhere from africa to south america, asia and europe for almost 2 centuries.
>>
>>83218116
>but you are using such an odd definition of "iconic" that literally no other person in the world uses.

Probably, but it's the same kind of autism that makes some people mad when people use the word "epic" to talk about the flash season finale
>>
>>83218064
So Adam Sandler's face is iconic too?
>>
>>83218324
I would hope that more people recognise the shield symbol - or 'icon' - than that smug pigfuck.
>>
File: bestest actor.jpg (61 KB, 534x712) Image search: [Google]
bestest actor.jpg
61 KB, 534x712
>>83218382
But it's the same criteria, this guy is as Iconic than Dracula.

Hell, he is 3 times more iconic than godzilla. thank to "flicks"
>>
File: Dancing with wolves.jpg (80 KB, 600x316) Image search: [Google]
Dancing with wolves.jpg
80 KB, 600x316
This 2 are the protagonist of the biggest movie ever.

They have to be iconic right?
>>
>>83218116
> Is Captain america a religious image? No? Then is not a icon!
That's technically correct!
>>
File: Satan GTFO.jpg (171 KB, 736x923) Image search: [Google]
Satan GTFO.jpg
171 KB, 736x923
>>83218714
Superman being an interpretation of a Sun God and Batman being a demonic figure may be true, but take batman, the character is so popular and big that NO ONE REMEMBERS WHY he calls the bat "an omen". the wording sounds weird now, the whole "cowardly and superstitious lot" don't ring a bell now. They are talking about how democid bats are.

The character outgrew the christian tradition of bats being Satanic images, the image is so strong that now Dracula turning into a Bat is just a power and doesnt have the same context as it had 100 years ago. that's the power of an icon. Batman redefined what bat means, now in halloween Bat decorations are considered "spooky" and nothing else they are like spiders. A 600 years tradition was erased from popular mind. THAT'S the power of a real icon.
>>
>>83218002
Just stop
>>
>>83219875
Nice argument there.
>>
>>83216023
there was no twitter back then
>>
File: Marvelpocalypse Now.jpg (897 KB, 1444x1097) Image search: [Google]
Marvelpocalypse Now.jpg
897 KB, 1444x1097
>>83216023
It's just normies and casuals sperging out.
>>
File: N.O. M.O.R.E. N.E.R.D.S..png (3 MB, 1228x950) Image search: [Google]
N.O. M.O.R.E. N.E.R.D.S..png
3 MB, 1228x950
>>83222652
Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.