[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How closely are they based on Charleton characters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6
File: Watchmencharacters.jpg (164 KB, 250x426) Image search: [Google]
Watchmencharacters.jpg
164 KB, 250x426
How closely are they based on Charleton characters?
>>
>>83202505
They were originally intended to BE the Charlton characters until DC made Alan Moore change them. The script stayed the same though. So all that was changed from the original version was their names and costumes.

The original Charlton comics though could not have been less like Watchmen.
>>
>>83202575
Was Ozymandias' Egyptian connotation added in this rewrite?
>>
>>83202575
You mean the plot. The script wasn't written that far in advance, at least not most of it.
>>
>>83202505
Irrelevant fun fact: the character that The Comedian was based on (Peacemaker) acted as a sort of mentor to the third Blue Beatle(the second and first Blue Beatle being the characters that Nite Owl 1&2 where based on).
>>
>>83202785
We remember. He made friends with Jaimie's dad.
>>
File: 1351905032200.png (317 KB, 392x440) Image search: [Google]
1351905032200.png
317 KB, 392x440
>>83202785

"I'm too old for this shit" mentor Peacemaker was fucking great
>>
>>83202505
Silk Spectre being a legacy character of her mom is actually taken from Black Canary. Also, Nightshade had powers and she obviously doesn't...but she was Captain Atom's love interest, so that carried over.
>>
Manhattan is way closer to Marvel's Molecule Man than to Captain Atom. Even their origin is almost the same.
>>
>>83202575
Not true, Silk Spectre and Comedian were nothing like Nightshade and Peacemaker.

>>83204807
Actually, Manhattan is closer to the Gold Key version of Doctor Solar, Man of the Atom.
>>
File: PeterCannon01CovCharlton.jpg (141 KB, 600x900) Image search: [Google]
PeterCannon01CovCharlton.jpg
141 KB, 600x900
>>83202619
Yes and no? Ozymandias's Charlton equivalent trained in the Himalayas. So the basic concept of training in remote, exotic locations was there.
The obsession with Alexander the Great was Moore's idea.
>>
>>83202505
Watchmen began as a grim n' gritty reimagining of the Charlton characters. So the basics are the same, but the most sinister connotations are absent.
>>
I would love to read Watchmen with the art redone with the Charlton characters.
>>
>>83202505
The question wasn't a murdering fascist
>>
>>83205213
It's called Pax Americana
>>
File: fantasticfour20-05.jpg (310 KB, 916x1334) Image search: [Google]
fantasticfour20-05.jpg
310 KB, 916x1334
>>83204875
Solar can't manipulate matter like Dr Manhattan and his body wasn't ripped by a machine.
>>
File: fantasticfour20-06.jpg (346 KB, 901x1301) Image search: [Google]
fantasticfour20-06.jpg
346 KB, 901x1301
Also, Watchmen was published in 1985, just after Secret Wars, when Molecule Man overcame his limits and became a god.
>>
Nite Owl - The Blue Beetle
Rorschach - The Question
Silk Spectre - Nightshade
The Comedian - Peacemaker
Ozymandiad - Thunderbolt
Dr. Manhattan - Captain Atom
>>
>>83206982
Ozymandias*
>>
hey kid
>>
>>83202505

Not at all which is why Moore's versions function so well as distinct surrogates.

Moore was trying to Miracleman them. That is, making things edgy and "real". He didn't have the hindsight to understand what he was facilitating.
>>
>>83207054
The Dark Knight Returns actually had a bigger immediate influence.
>>
>>83207054
I just wish they could've stayed lighthearted and fun like they how they were on their cartoon show.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDDHHrt6l4w
>>
>>83207054
>edgy
i dont think thats the right description.
They are more psychological flawed.
But away from being angst ridden to be really called edgy.

For me its maybe 1 or 2 steps away from being egdy, but influenced many edhyness
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.