[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So is Dr Manhattan responsible for the Nu52? or was that the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
So is Dr Manhattan responsible for the Nu52?

or was that the "Empty Hand"?

or is Dr Manhattan the Empty Hand?
>>
>>83190883
Manhattan stole ten years from the DC continuity to tweak as he saw fit.
>>
Empty Hand is the reader. Manhattan can sort of be seen as a reader in a way but I think Rebirth is more directly using him as a self insert for modern creators and the message they took from Watchmen.
>>
>>83190938
>>83190969
Thanks

So Empty Hand has nothing to do with Rebirth/Nu52?
>>
>>83191037
It's possible but I would say it doesn't for now.
>>
>>83190883
Am I the only one who felt like Rebirth is some sort of parody of superhero events and gimmicks? I mean, it's probably not, I doubt it's that self aware.

I mean, the whole "bringing back Watchmen characters and making them villains in the DCU" just wreaks of desperation to me. They can't leave this story that Alan Moore created 30 years ago as a self-contained thing alone, they are actually going back to this. At least Morrison's Pax Americana was a pastiche, which is different from a shameless plundering. And I didn't bother to read Before Watchmen, but as audacious as that was, it was in the Watchmen universe. But now they are literally doing "Batman vs. Doctor Manhattan." Why. It's times like these that I understand Moore's bitterness.

Aside from that, this comic was every event comic, ever. Shrouded characters coming to warn heroes in foreboding, cryptic words, and saying no more. Continuity changes explained through convoluted spacetime-altering plot devices. The foreshadowing of the "big bad" who is bigger than anyone we've ever seen before, even that last big bag who was bigger than anyone we've ever seen before.

It's especially frustrating that this is coming off the heels of the "DCYou" campaign, which aimed at fresh ideas and creator-driven titles instead of these old gimmicks.

This whole thing is just sad to me.

I mean, I like that they are bringing some stuff I liked back (old Wally, Ray Palmer, Ted Kord), but I hate this "Crisis on Infinite Infinities stuff" now and, to be honest, I'd prefer if DC just announced "we're bringing back old Wally" and had him in a title with no timefuck justification, instead of publishing these stupid stories whose only purposes are to patch up continuity, but have no narrative merit beyond that.
>>
File: 1464301486666.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
1464301486666.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
Last panel

Empty Hand?
>>
>>83191537
>doesn't like in-universe explanations for things

disgusting
>>
>>83191537
>Am I the only one who felt like Rebirth is some sort of parody of superhero events and gimmicks? I mean, it's probably not, I doubt it's that self aware.
DC loves being meta

>I mean, the whole "bringing back Watchmen characters and making them villains in the DCU" just wreaks of desperation to me. They can't leave this story that Alan Moore created 30 years ago as a self-contained thing alone, they are actually going back to this. At least Morrison's Pax Americana was a pastiche, which is different from a shameless plundering. And I didn't bother to read Before Watchmen, but as audacious as that was, it was in the Watchmen universe. But now they are literally doing "Batman vs. Doctor Manhattan." Why. It's times like these that I understand Moore's bitterness.
It disrespectful and desperate but it's interesting

>Aside from that, this comic was every event comic, ever. Shrouded characters coming to warn heroes in foreboding, cryptic words, and saying no more. Continuity changes explained through convoluted spacetime-altering plot devices. The foreshadowing of the "big bad" who is bigger than anyone we've ever seen before, even that last big bag who was bigger than anyone we've ever seen before.
DC events are usually great

>It's especially frustrating that this is coming off the heels of the "DCYou" campaign, which aimed at fresh ideas and creator-driven titles instead of these old gimmicks.
low sales
blame yourself
>>
>>83191575
So wait

does that mean 2001 - 2011 was stolen and re-purposed for the nu52?
>>
>>83191537
>It's especially frustrating that this is coming off the heels of the "DCYou" campaign, which aimed at fresh ideas and creator-driven titles instead of these old gimmicks.

1) DCYou was a massive failure (due to Convergence screwing DC's retailer/customer base)

>I'd prefer if DC just announced "we're bringing back old Wally" and had him in a title with no timefuck justification,

That is even more stupid and opens the way for the type of storytelling happening with Marvel right now where characters are retooled at a moment's notice without regard for what previous creators did ignoring stuff that was done just weeks/months before. If you want that just read Marvel instead.
>>
>>83191715
1 year in the real world =/= 1 year in comic books
>>
The Empty Hand would have been a far better pick than Dr. Manhattan.

1. Rebooting stories ad nauseam and filling them with bad ideas is precisely what Empty Hand does.

2. He just looks like an awesome ultimate villain. It would be pretty nice if someone took one of Morrison's ideas and actually did something with it.

>>83191537
God, yes to all of this.
>>
>>83191575
That last panel is so meta it's painful
>>
>>83191575
No, Empty Hand is a left hand and that is a right hand
>>
>>83193247
It all makes sense now
>>
>>83191806
>The Empty Hand would have been a far better pick than Dr. Manhattan.

You guys are so desperate for Morrison ideas to matter to mainstream readers...
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.