[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come we have all this talent for all these new rebirth titles
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 2160x1673) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 2160x1673
How come we have all this talent for all these new rebirth titles EXCEPT when it comes to Superman? Why can't he ever get any good writers? We barely had any good superman stories in the last 5 years. What the fuck is wrong with DC?
>>
Superwoman and New Super-Man seem ok and Orlando on Supergirl (though it doesn't sound interesting) is nothing to sneeze at

But yeah, compared to the others Superman and GL both seem mistreated right now. It's a shame.
>>
>>83188339
>all this talent
Where?
>>
>>83188339
Because nobody knows what the fuck fans want

>for years everyone says Superman is boring and bland
>Man of Steel happens
>Everyone suddenly cares about Superman and claim they have for years

He has the most fickle and undefined """fanbase""" out of everyone
>>
>>83188516
Now, now, they have a couple of good inkers.
>>
>>83188488
I couldn't even finish the final days of superman. It was just that bad and so drawn out.
>>
Too hard to write

best stories involve him dying
>>
>>83188339
>Tomasi
>Yang
>Jimenez
>Orlando
>Manapul
I dunno, I'm feeling pretty good about it.
Hell, even Jurgens will be fine. Lois & Clark is okay.
>>
Other than Rucka and King I don't see much known "talent." Most of the Rebirth writers are middling hacks. The biggest thing DC has going for it are its artists.
>>
>>83188339
He got good-Johns and Busiek that one time. Kelly was good for his time. JMS was awful on his book for some reason, but he;s generally a good writer. And even nuJohns became good-Johns when he did the Ulysses arc.
>>
>>83188575
Danny Miki has come so far, he started out working with Liefeld
>>
Do we know if Lobo is gonna go back to his actually good old self instead of pretty Lobo?
>>
>>83188516
Are you enjoying your nazi cap?
>>
>>83188623
Yes.

How's the latest reboot?
>>
>>83188583
Tomasi is shit! At least when he's writing Superman.
>>
>>83188648
Fine, given that it isn't a reboot.
>>
>>83188516
>Rucka, Dan Abnet, Hope Larson and Christopher Priest aren't talent

Marvelfag pls
>>
>>83188339
Tomasi's Batman and Robin was fantastic.
>>
>>83188579
>literally casual: the opinion
Other than All-Star Superman, name a good story where he dies.

HINT: Death of Superman, World Without a Superman, Reign of the Superman, and Return of Superman are pretty shit.
>>
>>83188648
You mean crisis? It was fine
>>
>>83188594
Johns or Morrison or even Snyder could inject some life into the book

>>83188711
Red Son kinda
>>
>>83188659
Oh, yeah? Damn.
Never touched Superman/Wonder Woman, so I was just going by Batman & Robin, which I liked a lot and was also done with Gleason.

Still, maybe he'll fare better this time.
>>
And even if one of them turns out to be good. How long until they do another shit crossover across all the Superman titles that will ruin the book? Paks run is almost unreadable because of "doomed" and "truth".
>>
>>83188339
Tomasi was good in GLC and Batman and Robin.

I don't know why /co/ hates him, but Jurgens generally has a good handle on Post-Crisis Supes. He's one of his better writers.
>>
>>83188773
Someone storytimed the current Superman death arc and it should still be up if you want to see for yourself. He's just not good at all on Superman. I think it's just a bad fit.

>>83188798
Ain't that the truth. I hope New Super-Man can stay separate for an arc or two at least.
>>
>>83188798
But Pak's Truth issues were good. It didn't fall apart until Savage Dawn.
>>
>>83188850
>I don't know why /co/ hates him,

Because he is a proven bad Superman writer despite his good runs elsewhere.
>>
>>83188850
I agree that both of those books are good. But have you read any of the superman related stuff be pushing out? Superman/Wonder Woman? The final days of superman? It's garbage!
>>
>>83188915
Savage dawn was what I meant
>>
>>83188339
King is their new up and comer so obviously he gets Batman, Rucka probably wouldn't have done anything else but Wonder Woman, and other than that they don't really have any other huge talent in the mix.
>>
>>83188339
>SHAZAM family
Why must you tease me so?
>>
>>83188932
What the fuck? The best Jurgens runs have been with Superman precisely.
>>
>>83189074
They're talking about Tomasi, dumbass.
>>
>>83188956
Yeah, Tomasi wasn't a good Superman fit. But to be honest DC in general hasn't had a good idea of what they wanted this Superman to be.

I'm not saying that this is 100% the case, but MAYBE this time with Pre-N52 Superman will be different. Or who knows, maybe it'll be the same shit. We'll see what happens.
>>
>>83189122
And I was taking about Jurgens when I said "I don't know why /co/ hates him"
>>
>>83189136
DC might not, but Morrison nails it every time. This is the guy who made Superman Blue good.
>>
>>83189136
"Doomsday again" and Eradicator are some pretty disappointing-sounding first arcs.
>>
>>83189203
As much as I fucking love Morrison, the problem with his Action run imo is that he wrote this new Superman without really reintroducing him, he took a lot of stuff for granted and made a comic that could only be understood by people who have already read a lot of comic books already. I don't know if that was the best idea to reboot a character.
>>
>>83189136
They fucked up with pre-Flashpoint Superman the last two or so years of his books. I have no faith that will mean anything.
>>
>>83188339
Superman's gotten a bunch of talented writers since the New 52.
>>
>>83189471
Like? There is Morrisons run Johns run and Superman Unchained. I dont include Paks run because half of it is ruined with shit crossovers.
>>
>>83189763
IS Unchained any good?
I dun trust Snyder.
>>
>>83188711
For all seasons
Secret id
Peace on earth
Brainiac
>>
>>83188516
Go and read your Bendis's crap then. It's the writer you deserve.
>>
>>83190045
>me in charge of reading
>>
>>83188339
Good writers, but maybe not-as-good editors.
>>
>>83190122
Because an idiot like Brevoort is better.
>>
>>83188339
Tomasi on Superman might be good

Chinese Superman and Supergirl look promising

Superwoman I have no idea but I willing to give it a shot

AC by Jurgens is bound to be a mediocre bore

Really; the Superman lines doesn't seem that bad; especially when compared to GL
>>
I was just wondering this, and I think it poses an interesting question. Does the comic Watchmen also have that reporter mentioning that Superman is real, and he is American line like the movie? If so I wonder if Manhattan is gonna reveal to the JLA that they're actually just comic book characters in his universe.
>>
>>83189353
There's nothing wrong in not pandering to casuals.
>>
>>83188572
Looks like Man of Steel was a success then
:^)
>>
>>83188648
It's a relaunch and you'll be getting A N O T H E R one in the fall, cockbag.
>>
>>83190166
SORRY YOU DIDN'T LIKE IT
>>
Tomasi's previous Superman stints seemed like editorially mandated shit, that nobody would want to write. So I still have hope for his run.

Jurgens gets Superman's character right, and his Lois and Clark was good. so I have some hope for that.

I actually like the concept for Superwoman, but don't trust Jimenez as a writer.

New Superman looks the most promising since Yang gets to do whatever he wants.

But you're right that Superman line is in a mess. New52 Superman had some good writers and some good stories as well, but they didn't last long or got obstructed by crossovers. Morrison's run was GOAT but 19 issues is not a lot, Pak's was good and promising as well, but crossovers spoiled it. Johns' wasn't long lived.
>>
File: 1431346510880.jpg (26 KB, 500x335) Image search: [Google]
1431346510880.jpg
26 KB, 500x335
>>83188339
HAHA I KNOW RIGHT

GREEN LANTERN LUCKED OUT WITH SOME GREAT WRITERS FOR ALL THE BOOKS HUH
>>
>>83188516
>im blind help
faggot.
>>
Who would you want to write Superman, /co/?
>>
>>83189055

Already happened in the new 52
>>
>>83191905
Jeff Parker.
>>
>>83190045
He didn't die.
>>
>>83190545
Plz respond
>>
File: Dass Nice.gif (399 KB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Dass Nice.gif
399 KB, 320x240
>>83191969
I had to think about it for a second, but fuck yeah he would be great
>>
>>83191969
solid pick
>>
>>83191301
A-at least Tan is gone..
>>
>>83191301
I'd take Snyder or Pak or whoever else they're bitching about in a heartbeat if it meant no more Venditti.
>>
>Tomasi is shit
Worst meme I've seen this past year.
>>
>>83191301
This, fuck you OP, I would take the Tomasi + Gleason combo any day over what we got
>>
>>83188773
>Superman/Wonder Woman

Maybe that's why Tomasi was shit, though? He was writing a shit concept.

I mean, his GL Corps was almost on par with Geoff's Hal book the entire time. That's a pretty fuckin' good track record.
>>
>>83193477
Tomasi is painfully mediocre and his Superman work has not been good so far.
Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.