[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Just finished reading Johns' run on Green Lantern after
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1
File: color corps.jpg (129 KB, 1131x707) Image search: [Google]
color corps.jpg
129 KB, 1131x707
Just finished reading Johns' run on Green Lantern after a friend recommended it. At first the idea of one corps for each color of the rainbow spectrum sounded silly, but the execution was nothing short of amazing. I've seen a lot of spin-offs since then, like Larfleeze, Red Lanterns, New Guardians, etc, and i'm really interested in the other rings. Should i read them or will i be disappointed?
>>
Sinestro's ongoing was fun and I have heard decent things about early Red Lanterns but I haven't read it. Can't speak for the others.
>>
>>83186936
Heard good things about Sinestro, will check it
>>
The rainbow lanterns were where Johns' GL started to fall apart.
>>
The other corps was a great idea that was pushed out way too soon, I think. We got exposed to all of them too quickly and some (LOOKING AT YOU INDIGO TRIBE) are kind of ridiculous.
>>
>>83187848
You think he should have stopped at yellow?
>>
>>83188439
Yeah. Yellow was good, not only because they had by far the best GL event centered around them, but because they kinda work in a straight up evil counterpart kind of way. They're Reverse Flash, Black Adam, Ultraman, what have you.

The rest kinda sorta had interesting moments (mostly to do with the great characters, not the concepts behind them), but after Blackest Night they really had no story left in them and should have been done away with.

My big problem with the rainbow lanterns is that they made Cosmic DCU feel incredibly small. From the Sinestro Corps War to the end of Johns' run (and possibly beyond, but by then I lost all interest) the GLC, DC's foremost cosmic organizations dedicated with peacekeeping on a universal scale, did nothing but fight doppelgangers of themselves. It's like they were all caught up in their own little game to notice that the rest of the universe was there to. All of their problems were their own fault, all of the villains were their own creations, all of the plot was literally the Guardians spending three billion years being stupid and it all coming to bite them in the ass at the same time.

R.E.B.E.L.S. probably wasn't really as good as I remembered it, but i loved it to pieces precisely because it was cosmic DC without the motherfucking lanterns in the focus.
>>
>>83186936
Red Lanterns is alright until Guy takes over, then it's great.
New Guardians was mediocre, and I don't recall much of GL Corps.
Read Omega Men, then go back and read stuff from before Johns.
>>
>>83189289
I see what you mean. To be honest Blackest Night should have been the last big GL-centered event, and really there was no point in milking the colors after it. War of the Green Lanterns was bland and Volthoom could have been better i guess.

I think the corps, Yellow most of all, still have some good stories in them, but they really need to detatch from Hal for some years.
>>
>>83189568
What do you recommend? I read the Kyle stories, should i go further and read pre-Twilight Hal?
>>
Larfleeze was good, Sinestro was great, Red Lanterns was alright under Soule, I did not personally care for New Guardians that much
>>
>>83189648
Yes

GL was usually a pretty solid book, Gerard Jones' material (GL and Mosaic) were good, in the 80s Wolfman and Wein were good, Green Lantern/Green Arrow is dated but worth reading

I also like silver age GL a lot but I suppose silver age stuff isn't for everyone
>>
>>83189648
I like Emerald Dawn. I think Gerard Jones in general gets kind of recommended a lot but that's all I've read by him.
>>
>>83189782
Jones didn't write Emerald Dawn, did he? I thought Priest wrote it
>>
>>83189814
Giffen, Jones, and Owsley listed in the trade. I don't know who did what though.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.