[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Has anybody seen Don Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow? Really
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6
File: world of tomorrow.jpg (198 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
world of tomorrow.jpg
198 KB, 1280x720
Has anybody seen Don Hertzfeldt's World of Tomorrow? Really good movie.
>>
Come on. Somebody has.
>>
Watched this recently on Netflix. Oddly endearing, enjoyed the animation.
>>
It's my favorite thing of his yet. Had some really cool concepts.
>>
>>83169231
It's great
>>
File: 1331433222406.jpg (19 KB, 192x192) Image search: [Google]
1331433222406.jpg
19 KB, 192x192
>tfw it lost the Oscar to a fucking stuffed bear
I need to stop watching the Oscars
>>
>>83170779
Yes you do.
>>
it's great. i loved it. i guess no one really wants to talk about it tho. shame
>>
>>83172024
I want to talk about it.

I really loved the part with the people time travelling into orbit around space and falling as shooting stars. That was cool as shit.
>>
It's no where near "It's Such a Beautiful Day".
I guess he can't make nothing but masterpieces.
>>
>>83173874
I haven't seen that one yet and I've seen all of his other stuff. World of Tomorrow is by far my favorite.
>>
I like World of Tomorrow but I kinda miss the purity of his completely handmade stuff. I personally enjoy "Meaning of Life" the most, but this one comes close by having a lot of the same vibes.

It's Such A Beautiful Day has some moments, but to me it comes off like "I'm a white man with social anxiety, my problems are insurmountable and make me very special"
>>
It's interesting to see his simple style evolving.
>>
>>83173978
It's on Netflix. Get to it.
>>83174129
I couldn't disagree more about ISABD.
It's so much bigger than his personal problems. I've never seen anything try to handle a persons entire life and family history so completely before.
>>
>>83174358
I am watching it right now.
>>
I really like the adorable kid vs the near robotic narrator. I haven't heard of this scifi concept for a while where time travel becomes a means of preserving human life and its actually a refreshing and satisfying take on the concept.
>>
>>83169231
I watched this on Netflix. It was really cute. I know theres gonna be alot of DUDE WEED LMAO but it was fun to watch high.
>>
File: 2-world-of-tomorrow.png (116 KB, 618x412) Image search: [Google]
2-world-of-tomorrow.png
116 KB, 618x412
>>83174296
he's like an ms paint wizard
>>
>>83174464
You are in for a ride. The main character in so relatable despite being quite unique and unknown to the audience, imo he is relatable because each of his issues remind you of something.
>>
>>83174129
I think you're forgetting about the part with the MC's brain damage and imminent death.
>>
It's such a beautiful day is really overrated.
>>
File: DSC_0067.jpg (521 KB, 2048x1356) Image search: [Google]
DSC_0067.jpg
521 KB, 2048x1356
>>83169231
I love his work.
>>
>>83174792
I watched it and it was very good. I'd put it equally with Tomorrow though I liked Tomorrow more and I didn't like how at the end of Day Bill lived forever.
>>
>>83174129
It had absolutely nothing to do with him being white and he didn't have social anxiety. He had memory loss.
>>
>>83169231
I really liked it. That thing the girl says at the end, when the narrator leaves, still sticks with me. It's like, I don't know what it means, but I think it's important anyway.
>>
File: 1460521798263.jpg (9 KB, 225x250) Image search: [Google]
1460521798263.jpg
9 KB, 225x250
>>83169231
>uses time travel not to escape the impending end of days, but to regain a lost memory of her mother, that despite its inconsequential nature, is enough to bring solace in the face of inevitability
>>
>>83175739
A rainbow!
>>
>>83175536
Maybe it was supposed to represent some sort of afterlife? Or perhaps an allusion to the uncertainty of death and that what happens when Bill died didn't make any sense because you only understand once you've died yourself?
>>
>>83175903
I thought it was a metaphor too at the beginning but as it went on and it said he lived longer than any being I don't know. It was within the bounds of reality before that. Plus he didn't lose him memory after that which makes it seems like a metaphor but I don't know.
>>
File: d.png (480 KB, 540x575) Image search: [Google]
d.png
480 KB, 540x575
>>83175942
I just inferred it was the reality of what would happen if you never died and how if you fear death, there's no point because even if you were immortal the inevitable heat death of the universe would occur and you'd be alone drifting in eternal darkness
>>
>>83175536
>>83175903
>>83175942
>>83176023

Personally I think it can be a way to show that the death of Bill was the best outcome. Living forever is actually quite sad and despite showing it in a beautiful way, it's can be understood as a bad thing.

Bill doesn't live forever, he dies under this tree.
Maybe the author wanted to say through this scene "hey, what did you expect?"
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.