[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Writing a paper on sci-fi bounty hunters, got a question: Who
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6
Writing a paper on sci-fi bounty hunters, got a question:

Who was the first sci-fi bounty hunter?
>>
Earliest I can can come up with is Monark Starstalker in Marvel Premier #32 (Oct 1976)

http://comicvine.gamespot.com/marvel-premiere-32-monark-starstalker/4000-16785/

He didn't come back until DnA's Nova run, I thought. Haven't read that actual issue to be sure it was heavy on bounty hunting
>>
Barbarella was sort of a bounty hunter, or at least an agent for hire.
>>
File: 1423361496216.png (269 KB, 775x1231) Image search: [Google]
1423361496216.png
269 KB, 775x1231
metroid
>>
Pontius Pilate. Hunted this overpowered character that had levitation, healing and conjuring powers but still managed to kill him. Then later books did some bullshit retcon where he came back since deaths in these things never stick.
>>
>>83164939
>Writing a paper on sci-fi bounty hunters

American education lmao
>>
File: 1444851882227.png (50 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
1444851882227.png
50 KB, 550x550
>>83165346
Metroid was '86 you dongus.
>>
>>83165411
it has to be elementary school
>>
>>83165411
>Gets degree
>Gets job

yeah that sounds awful
>>
File: DoAndroidsDream.png (150 KB, 220x341) Image search: [Google]
DoAndroidsDream.png
150 KB, 220x341
>>83164939
Deckard in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?

I would be extremely surprised if someone could find an example earlier than 1968.
>>
It depends on what you count as sci fi and what you define a bounty hunter to be.

I think the earliest science fiction bounty hunter would have to be the whaler character Ned Land from from Jules Verne's20k leagues under the sea

I mean, if oyu want to be technical
>>
>>83165762
If Barbarella counts then she's 1962.
>>
>>83165762
Can't do androids, its a book we discussed in class.
>>
>>83165666

>American
>college age
>Gets job

Now this is b8
>>
>>83165666
>Gets degree
>Gets denbt

FTFY
>>
File: mst3k_prince_of_space.jpg (373 KB, 904x1004) Image search: [Google]
mst3k_prince_of_space.jpg
373 KB, 904x1004
>>83165762
Kind of depends on the criteria, doesn't it? Prince of Space came out in 1958. He was like a bounty hunter. Did everything except collect actual money. He seemed to just enjoy being a dick to the villains.
>>
>>83165904
I feel like collecting a bounty is a strict requirement of being called a bounty hunter

>>83165821
Aren't most plots of Barbarella just boil down to her visiting an alien planet and fucking the aliens? They had a goddamn machine called the orgasmatron- it was basically 60s hentai.
>>
>>83166025
>They had a goddamn machine called the orgasmatron
I AM THE ONE, ORGASMATRON
THE OUTSTRETCHED GRASPING HAND
>>
>>83165904
I'm sure that as soon as sci fi was created there were bounty hunter type characters. They're just not as well known because really who remembers stuff like the Edisonades that were churned out in the early twentieth century?
>>
>>83166185
Has anyone read the lensman series? I bet there's a bounty hunter character in there
>>
>>83166025
>"I feel like collecting a bounty is a strict requirement of being called a bounty hunter"

correct
>>
>>83165762

There are bounty hunters in the lensmen series, so you really need to find an example before the '30s

And I think Tom Swift did some bounty hunting with his fucking electric rifle bullshit, which dates to 1911 and also co-stars a rampaging whale, so you need to be looking the jules verne/HG Wells era of late 19th century sci-fi to find anything earlier.

The problem then arises that the notion of a "bounty hunter" isn't very well laid out - Mark Twain had that story of a guy with a super-human sense of smell who tracked down criminals while not being a formal lawman in any sense of the term, nor really be a "private detective", and iirc that was from the 1880s/1890s.
>>
A bounty hunter collects bounties. Simple as that. If he/she/it does not collect a bounty then they're not a bounty hunter.
>>
>>83164939
When did asking 4chan become "research"? I don't normally fall in with the "don't spoonfeed the anon" mindset, but come on!
>>
>>83166643
My biggest concern here is he ks asking /co/ and not /lit/ about such a thing. Like somehow comics or cartoons were the first medium to have that kind of character before any written work

Not to mention it'd be easier to keep up such a thread on a slower board.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.