[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sell me on Kyle Rayner
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1
File: Kyle Rayner.jpg (195 KB, 753x1061) Image search: [Google]
Kyle Rayner.jpg
195 KB, 753x1061
So, I've been reading Morrison's run on JLA and I'm kind of digging Kyle Rayner as a character. Normally I find the whole Green Lantern shit incredibly dull, but I'm like Kyle as a character.

Can anyone recommend me a good Kyle Rayner story? Something which if after I finish reading it I'll be sold on him as well as learn more about him as a character rather than just the characterization of him which I'm getting from Morrison's JLA.
>>
Gamble 15 minutes of your life reading his first appearance. If you like it, read the next one.
>>
>>83162287

Can you at least tell me the issue where he first appeared?

Also, will I need much context for what's going on in the Lantern-verse?
>>
>>83162526

I think in his story, all the lanterns are dead. Its a great starting point.
>>
>>83162526
>Can you at least tell me the issue where he first appeared?
GL #51 although he technically had like one appearance before that

>Also, will I need much context for what's going on in the Lantern-verse?
yes

The entire GLC just got wiped out and Kyle got the only GL ring left in the universe
>>
>>83162171
Cool bro, im glad you're taking an interest in rayner, just a few questions b4 I help.,

Do you like it when the character has a lot of power or Is just a normie GL?

Would you care if I recommend any new 52?

And, once I get your answer I'll go check my GL stash in my wardrobe and recommend adequately
>>
>>83165093

As far as power level I don't care that much. I don't mind characters being overpowered or characters suffering through periods of "weakness".

I don't mind if New 52 stuff is recommended. Everyone hates New 52 on principle even though there are good stories in the New 52 line.

I also don't mind if there are other Green Lanterns in the story, but I want to read Kyle Rayner stories, not Hal Jordan stories featuring Kyle Rayner.

>>83164728

Thanks for giving me the starting appearance of Kyle Rayner.

>>83164547

Kind of new something like that. Is there any other context I need to know?
>>
>>83162171
Read his initial run

With his original writer, he's probably one of the most human comic characters I've ever seen, who still feels very fresh. Just read the first hundred issues since he was introduced or something.

He's muddling around these days, but he's still a guy with a lot of potential. He's like Peter Parker, but less of a hero in a sense. It isn't the tragedy or moral that defined him. Rather he was just a guy given power out of nowhere, and he tried to do the best he could with it. Even when he flopped around or didn't consider himself a great hero, he was still a guy trying to do what he could with it rather than being a villain or making excuses.

This feels fresh in a different way, since other heroes its the tragedy that defines them. Its because your parents were murdered that you have to be a hero, or because you were born with power you have to save others. Kyle wasn't special, he didn't have to, he was a normal guy, he wasn't a tragedy on a stick that forced him to keep going. Rather he chose to keep going, because he felt this was still correct.

He was fallible as hell, made mistakes, but he still was trying to just make a difference and not for any special reason, but just because he was trying to live up to something just a bit.
>>
>>83166103

Thanks man.

Do you know if Kyle Rayner's early stuff was popular enough to be collected in trades which one can still actually get?
>>
>>83162171
I'm storytiming the destruction of the Corps and Kyle's first appearance if you're interested
>>
He was raped by a Mexican and his girlfriend was murdered and stuffed in his fridge.
>>
>>83165262
>Is there any other context I need to know?
When Superman was killed by Doomsday, four would-be Supermen popped up.
One of them was Cyborg Superman.
He had teamed up with Mongul, a space warlord to conquer earth.
Their first move was to destroy Coast City, Hal Jordan's hometown.
This drove him fucking crazy, and Emerald Twilight happened. Read that for more.
Afterwards, Ganthet barely made it to Earth, where he found Kyle Rayner pissing on a wall behind a bar.
He said "You'll do.", handed Kyle the ring, and disappeared.
>>
>>83166648
there are only a couple of trades of it and they are out of print, afaik

but I think they are going to start collecting it if this is any indication http://www.amazon.com/Green-Lantern-Book-One-Marz/dp/1401265758?ie=UTF8&keywords=ron%20marz%20green%20lantern&qid=1464229660&ref_=sr_1_1&sr=8-1
>>
>>83167074

Yeah I'm aware of all that. Just thought there might be something else of relevance, didn't think there was but thought there might me.

>>83167284

I'll check local places out too.
>>
>>83162171
He's a twink Hal Jordan
>>
>>83162171
dont open the fridge.
>>
he's the best
the 90s were the best time for comics
Kyle, Wally, Tim, Kon, Cass, Starman
New Warriors, so many Spider-Men, Exiles, Nova, Generation X
>>
>>83165262
I have many to recommend, but a good small run is ion, when Kyle became ion for a second time. It shows a newer twist and limitations of this new iteration of the old ion,

I'd also recommend circle of fire, it would help if you had all the tie ins, but the main story is pretty cool, how Kyle subconsciously creates an entity out of the ring capable of wrecking the entire jla in a second.
>>
>>83162171
He has a big fridge
>>
>>83173195
That and major force really knows how to get a woman "flexible ", heh
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.