[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So I want to talk about Superman, specifically this Superman.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8
File: man-of-steel-review-579x360.jpg (39 KB, 579x360) Image search: [Google]
man-of-steel-review-579x360.jpg
39 KB, 579x360
So I want to talk about Superman, specifically this Superman.

Notably, have you noticed that the DCEU has kind of completely abandoned this guy? It occurred to me in that earlier news thread about how there were going to be Skwad spinoffs and it's when I realized that I think the DCEU is going to become the Batman Cinematic Universe at this rate. I mean we've gotten more news about Affleck, the solo Batman movie, Skwad and spinoffs of Skwad than we have anything else.

And isn't that kind of just really depressing for Supes? Considering he was the first hero of the new verse. It almost feels like how WB more or less dropped Green Lantern but in this case they decided to keep going with someone else.

I honestly don't think we're ever going to get Man of Steel 2
>>
>>83143690
He's not allowed to be a héroe
He's not allowed to have a best friend
Or being able yo save his dad or mom
He's not allowed to live past the end of the sequel

He's just there to be tragic messiah figure
Nothing more
>>
>>83143690
That's because anytime something good happens to him, it's ignored so people can hold onto >>83143857.
If people are already going to not care about Superman, and are going to stay adamant about it, you might as well make the most of it. He's going to come back at some point, anyway.
>>
>>83143690
He's in the final 2 for Bond, and the character isn't really popular.
>>
>>83143690
>I honestly don't think we're ever going to get Man of Steel 2
Good.
>>
>>83143690
Superman is outdated and lame, they try to reshape him but failed and the oldfag and some vocal minority want 'Muh lame Superman' so he's doom. I would say it's the right choice to toss this guy into the garbage.
>>
>>83145604
You people are part of the problem and why we'll never get a decent Superman after the DCAU
>>
>>83143690
People can't stop bitching about muh Superman and the novies aren't that profitable, so why waste money on it? Just make more Batman, that's what the audience wants, even in comics.
>>
>>83145720
>why waste money on it

In fairness, nobody actually has to spend as much as WB do on these movies. They have poor financial controls as a studio.
>>
>>83144103
>final 2 for Bond

Nice. Who's the other guy?
>>
yfw flash movie ends with Flashpoint, and the next Superman movie is Man of Tomorrow
>>
>>83145720

or just like

write Superman better
>>
>>83143690
>have you noticed that the DCEU has kind of completely abandoned this guy
No, elaborate.
>>
>>83146041
Loki
>>
>>83146122
Look at the news for DCEU lately?

It's pretty much all Batman and Batman spinoffs. And Skwad hasn't even come out yet. There was going to be a MoS2 but then that never happened, it was shafted to get Batman in there. There's been more info on spinoffs than anything to do with Supes and yes I know that he's "dead" but the fact of the matter is that unless after JL Part 2 they start bringing up a real MoS sequel or some spinoffs, there's going to be a shift into this becoming the Gotham Cinematic Universe at this point.

By the end of JL Part 2, Supes will have only been in only 3 movies. Batman will have been in 5 and that's assuming he doesn't cameo in any of the other solo movies
>>
>>83143690
>Notably, have you noticed that the DCEU has kind of completely abandoned this guy?
Why shouldn't they? Snyder turned him into a dour brute who isn't allowed to be heroic so he has no appeal. No one gives a shit about the character of Superman, he's an ideal.

Since no one likes DCEU Superman and they've already sunk billions into film development they decided to pivot. That pivot is probably EXTREMELY premature as we don't know how well-received a solo Batman will be or how well Squad will do, but they don't have much of a choice.
>>
>>83146218
It wasn't moved for Batman, it was never really planned. BvS started out as Untitled Batman Reboot 2015.
>>
>>83146218
I have looked up news, BvS was never intended as Man of Steel 2. There was always a plan to have BvS and Man of Steel 2
>>
>>83146104
oh shit, it's so obvious! Better, not worse! Duh!
>>
>Batman Cinematic Universe at this rate
>at this rate
It was already the Batman Cinematic Universe. BvS was the sequel to MoS, just think about that for a second. MoS, the origin of Superman, is immediately followed by HIS DEATH. Hell the narrative of BvS was basically told entirely through Bruce instead of Supes.
>>
>>83146162
Disgusting.
>>
>>83146331
>Hell the narrative of BvS was basically told entirely through Bruce instead of Supes
There wasn't much of a narrative at all and there was absolutely no protagonist.

No, you're not supposed to identify with Batman, they fucked up royally but Batman is supposed to come off as having gone WAY off the deep end. It's hard to convey that when there's no real difference between Superman and Batman in the DCEU in terms of tone and we never see Batman before he retired.
>>
File: 1464191821776.jpg (299 KB, 675x447) Image search: [Google]
1464191821776.jpg
299 KB, 675x447
gee I wonder why
>>
>>83143690
I thought Man of Steel 2 was already confirmed. I hope it's good too.
>>
>>83146104
>better
For who? No body care about Supes except oldfags and if you want Classic Supes it'll end up like Superman Return, a movie that no body care except some vocal minority.
>>
>>83146402
If only comic book audiences reflected general audiences in size or tastes.
>>
>>83146444

Why not write him like Grant Morrison's version from Action Comics

Brash, funny, quick to anger but he cares about the people
>>
>>83146412
WB has there movies listed till 2020. We don't have a Man of Steel 2 on that list yet. After BvS I doubt they want to make one.
>>
>>83146162
Oh nice. Well whoever gets it, I imagine they're gonna do great.
>>
>>83146412
>I thought Man of Steel 2 was already confirmed
No.

You know what is confirmed though? A Harley Quinn spinoff
>>
>>83146653
>>83146454
>if only comic book audiences reflected general audiences
>harley quinn is getting a spin off movie
>>
>>83146218
>Wonder Woman
>Flash
>Cyborg
>Aquaman

Yep, all Batman related movies.
>>
>>83146709
I didn't say every movie coming out was Batman related, did you even read the post?

I also have serious doubts on whether Cyborg will actually come out but it's still in the can for now
>>
>>83146683
Because her movie costume was the highest selling costume at Halloween last year.

>>83146634
Yeah, it's kind of hard to fuck up.
>>
>>83146653
>>83146683
Won't be good unless it's two and a half hours of Harley getting punched in the face by Batman.
>>
>>83146806
Nah, I don't pay too much attention to whiners
>>
>>83146634
It's hard to fucked up Bond as a character, if anything we should worried about the director and the writer.
>>
>>83143690
they mad two movies about putting him on the highest pedestal around
even made a movie where he is jesus and Batman is the villain

what else more do you want
>>
Crisis on Infinite Film Sets, when?
>>
>>83147316

No one ever asked for him to be on a high pedestal or to literally be God/Jesus

We asked for a Superman movie
>>
>>83143690
WB tried Superman and it didn't work.
Batman is safe and previously established as successful.
WB is, like always, going with the safe and reliable marketing tactic and avoiding trying different things that carry risk.
>>
>>83147397

There wouldn't be any risk if they just made a Superman movie instead of a Superman movie in the style of a Batman film with a director that thinks rape is all you need to make a film dark.
>>
>>83143690
This Superman is more of a plot device to kick off the universe than a character that contributes to it.
>>
>>83147617
Superman Returns already happened
>>
>>83147397
>WB tried Superman and it didn't work.
You mean they tried Jesus Man adapted by a guy who hates cape comics? Because that's barely counts as "trying Superman".
>>
>>83146952
>whiners
I mean if you call posting actual facts whining sure
>>
>>83147617
Remember Superman Returns? It's one of the reason they want a 'different' Supes and don't give me a 'critics and fans like it' because it means shit when people straight up said everything about that movie was fucking boring.
>>
>>83148661
John Peters doesn't understand that sort of thing.
You know like nuance or subtlety.
>>
>>83148799
>whining about Batman
>not whining

Am I supposed to believe you would act the same way if it was another hero being used?
Also no shit he was in BvS, that was a quick attempt to introduce the Trinity and set up the JL
>>
>>83148465
Superman Returns isn't very like any of the movies that went before it.
>>
>>83148825
It's clear that this superman isn't working
>>
>>83146503
People who say stuff like that haven't touched a superman comic in their life, and they cannot grasp the concept that conic character personalities can vary depending on the writer/run
>>
>>83148825

They could have tried with making a good movie instead of a weird sequel
>>
>>83149014
But I'm not whining about Batman. I mean I am extremely disappointed DC is just falling back on that, but what I posted >>83146218 here is nothing but facts
>>
It's the superman curse
>>
>>83149318
Snyder's rendition is in an extreme minority if that.
>>
>>83148825
superman returns was bad because it was made during a time where heroes were expected to throw punches and be edgy

if superman returns was made now, and it just had the zod fight from mos, but with less collateral damage, it would be a great starter for superman in the filmverse
>>
>>83143690
Man of Good.
>>
For movies, general audiences prefer street level heroes or street level characters powered with technology.
>>
>>83148825
>>83150291
Superman Returns isn't at all like the Donner movies except in superficial imagery.

They're not even in the same room, dammit.
>>
>>83143690
His 45 lines (including groans) in BvS didn't clue you in on that?
>>
File: 3174044-national-high-five-day.jpg (91 KB, 604x720) Image search: [Google]
3174044-national-high-five-day.jpg
91 KB, 604x720
You know I remember a post about how Man of Steel tried to ape The Dark Knight so hard that it's even reflected in the title being nicknames of the characters.
And it's peculiar to note that they chose Man of Steel, a symbolic that says indestructible, cold and grey, rather than Man of Tomorrow, a symbol of hope and progress.
>there's an alternate universe where after the incredible success of The Man of Tomorrow, people complain that Superman's lighter tone influenced The Cape Crusader movie too much
>>
>>83146360
Have you seen Hiddleston in The Night Manager? I actually think he'd make a great James Bond. In fact, the show is him being Bond, except for all those moments in which you think "This wouldn't have happened to Bond..."
>>
>tfw no live-action Brainiac
>tfw still no true live-action Bizarro
>no live-action Mxyzptlk
>no Metallo, Parasite, Livewire, etc.
>no live-action Supergirl
I want off this ride.
>>
File: Bizarro_am_have_great_day.gif (3 MB, 428x308) Image search: [Google]
Bizarro_am_have_great_day.gif
3 MB, 428x308
>>83156347
I'm not a supesfag in anyway but Doomsday had a fucking neat origin to me.
To see his entire origin and The Death Of Superman turned into a ten minute "LOLOLOL WE MADE HIM OUT OF SCIENCE JIMBLES NUETRON" scene featuring a LotR troll done with shit CGI as Doomsday... Jesus Christ, is there anyone with any hope in JL anymore?
>>
>>83153951
Movies are a visual medium. It would be more accurate to count how much screen time he had, since he did a lot of stuff without saying a single word.
>>
File: image.jpg (899 KB, 1942x1468) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
899 KB, 1942x1468
>>83156347
Snyder should make a live action Emperor Joker adaptation. It would be perfect for this scene, considering Zod's snapped neck.
>>
File: image.jpg (489 KB, 954x1486) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
489 KB, 954x1486
>>83157334
>>
>>83153890
You really think Donner's Supes gonna be a pop in this age?
>>
>>83154173
>in that universe, Marvel is too grim and dark and doesn't get the point
Wait, wasn't that the '90s?
>>
>>83158905
The problem SR has is that it markets itself as the "sequel" to the two Donner movies, but it's even more ridiculous and facile a sequel than Superman IV was. It's truly awful, it just has a big budget to play around with and more modern effects techniques.

The problems the Donner movies have is that they're really just one bloated three-hour movie or two slow two-hour movies because of the way they were filmed, but what they get right is absolutely fine even today. The whole Krypton sequence at the start of the first movie, right up until Clark's landing, is genuinely a great piece of cinema. Take out the weird insert of Zod and the others being sentenced and it'd be even better, but they were setting up a sequel.

Likewise the second movie recaps the entire first movie in an extended sequence that's pretty sharp and would have done for the whole part of that story. Zod and his allies are no less maniacal for wanting to take over the planet, the destruction they visit is no less great, and the way they're dealt with - playing their greed against them - is a classic Luthor/Superman moment that underpins the uneasy dynamic between hero and villain. It redeems the drawing out of the story into two movies - first Luthor is set up, then he's used to drive the plot of another story entirely.

People think it's hokey and old-timey because they're fucking twelve year olds who think girls are icky and can't understand why anybody with superpowers would have a secret identity. And you know what? Fuck those guys. Let 'em watch Redtube until they tear their own dicks off if that's what they want.
>>
>>83143857
>He's not allowed to be a héroe
--Saved 7-8 Billion lives in MOS
--Held on to Doomsday even after seeing the nuke coming.
--Died to stop Doomsday
>He's not allowed to have a best friend
Lois
>Or being able yo save his dad or mom
Saved his mom from Zod & Faora
>He's not allowed to live past the end of the sequel
He will be brought back to life in JL.
>>
I really wish DC would stop coasting on Batman.

Come on DC, you have other heroes.

Use them.
>>
File: vlcsnap-2016-02-24-19h43m07s646.png (616 KB, 1280x536) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2016-02-24-19h43m07s646.png
616 KB, 1280x536
>>
>>83149300
>It's clear that this superman isn't working
He would if they would just give him happy moments a bit more enthusiasm while saving people.
His problem in BVS isn't that he is dark & dour, much of the senario calls for him to be some of the time. Its that he has virtually ZERO happy scenes. And I say that as someone who likes the film.
>>
>>83160730
>The whole Krypton sequence at the start of the first movie, right up until Clark's landing, is genuinely a great piece of cinema.
the krypton parts were incredibly unnecessary, like they were trying to inject some star wars, complete with crazy CGI animals, into it
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.