[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So who in the hell does dc has the skill to pull of a thematic
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8
So who in the hell does dc has the skill to pull of a thematic conflict between Watchmen and the DCU and have it be actually good meabingful and impactful?

Tom King?
Maybe poch Weisman from Marvel
Hope Dini has one of those weeks were he doesnt suck?
>>
>>83141755
So Johbs basically made a really loud mic drop and has left others to clean up his mess? This mighht be a trainwreck.
>>
>>83141755
But shouldn't this be happening in the main justice League book?
>>
>>83141839
I'm optimistic the special was a mess but I'm excited for the new tone and editorial direction
>>
>>83141755
does Weisman still work for Marvel? Last I heard Starbrand got cancelled
>>
>>83141867
Who is writting it?
>>
>>83141971
Hitch.
>>
>>83141889
He doesn't. He probably got Starbrand because he was writing the Kanan comic (which is cancelled). Much like how they got the new writer for the godawful SW novel to do Hyperion.
>>
>>83141755
It sure as hell ain't Johns.
>>
>>83141755
The Watchmen stuff will probably be very watered down, so the bar isn't even that high. These weren't characters that were supposed to be continued or serialized, so we're far from the originals anyway.
>>
>>83142069
>Sets up possibly the most difficult book to do of all time
>Fucks off to do moviea

Bravo johns
>>
>>83141755
I think the titans and/or teen titans will be the first to deal with the Watchmen stuff.
>>
>>83142116
Nothing ever ends.

Besides its not DC vs Watchmen characters its DC vs Watchmen
>>
>>83142005
It's hopeless then
>>
>>83141755
This is basically Countdown to Infinite Crisis. Johns probably won't write about it but they do seem to have an idea of where they want to go with it in 2 year period. I think Kind is likely going to be the one who does the finale for it.
>>
>>83142183
It sucks because dc doesnt have many good writers on staff.

Neither does marvel really.

As a whole all the a listers have mostly moved from the big 2.

We have Waid and Rucka is kinda pushing it. Weisman but no one ever uses him . King of course,and then no real top level guys.

Its all b list and down.
>>
>>83142288
Humphries tho
>>
>>83142183
But there was actually a team (of editors and writes) created to implement and oversee the build up/development towards Countdown to Infinite Crisis, which is why I maintain it was one of the crossovers with the more consistent development and foreshadowing (something that things like OYL/Countdown/FC lacked). There is no such thing here.
>>
Why is everyone pretending to hate Johns alluva sudden?
>>
>>83143051
He has always been mediocre at absolute best and a flaming shitpile for years. He obviously has no idea what the fuck he is doing and is largely responsible for DC's comics line dying after a nearly century.
>>
>>83142026
Being Weisman is suffering. Hopefully DC continues to be great again and swipe him up.
>>
>>83141755
Morrison already tackled Watchmen and it's influence on modern comics in Pax Americana, and I don't think Johns or King could come up with something as great as that.
>>
>>83143493
But Pax sucked.

And I say that as a diehard morrisonfag
>>
>>83141755
>Tom King?
Why is he so hyped?

Neither Omega Man, nor Sherrif nor Vision nor anything else of bite is finished. Do we know whether he fucks the stories' climaxes as bad as Snyder?
>>
File: 7333667_orig.gif (657 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
7333667_orig.gif
657 KB, 500x281
>>83141755
>There's going to be a war between HOPE and DESPAIR
>We have LOVE and FAITH
>"They" have APATHY and DISBELIEF
>WE are SAVING comics
>>
>>83143017
> There is no such thing here.

Not exactly true, Johns has apparently worked with every single creative team and helped mastermind a 2-year overarcing plot for the DC Universe and worked with each creative team to help find the soul of each character.

It definitely sounds like they've worked some of this out.
>>
>>83142288
Ewing and Morrison are pretty good, but I can think of many more
>>
File: 1458155714401.jpg (31 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1458155714401.jpg
31 KB, 640x480
>yfw Snyder and WB read this and decide to produce a Justice League v Watchmen movie
>>
>>83144055
>Implying it won't be Johns himself to come up with the idea
>>
>>83143684
He is so good he is based without even having to finish

Dude blows folks out the water with HALF a ruN
>>
>>83141839
Johns is a unofficial editor in chief according Didio and Lee.
>>
DC is bringing in Dennis Hopeless for this
>>
>>83146524
Can Harras leave then and take Bergganza with him?
>>
>implying it won't be Morrison just to piss off Alan Moore
>>
>>83141755
Johns and Morrison already had a thematic clash with Watchmen called Infinite Crisis. Its a bit of a mess but the tone and message of the DC heroes needing to be heroes again is what got me into DC Comics.
>>
>>83143051
He hasn't been good for about 5-6 years now outside of a couple of stories here and there. But this was a good mic drop. I think he simply lost his passion with the reboot.
>>
>>83143399
They won't. Didio and DC kicked him off the Red Tornado mini that he had developed, screwed and cancelled the YJ book and retconned the YJ Earth. The only person who cares about YJ is Johns and he is too busy with movies/tv shows.
>>
Apparently Abnett since Wally is going to Titans
>>
>>83143051
He's been shit since the new 52.
>>
>>83143702
It's not like Johns has a subtle bone in his body, so I dunno what people were expecting.
>>
Remember when Johns' nostalgia pandering was at least decent?
>>
>>83147785
I don't think other than towing the company line he cared much about the reboot. I think he really liked the post-Crisis DC since that was HIS DC COMICS and the venue that he contributed the most (Titans, GL, JSA, Flash, Superman). He is being massively passive aggressively about Nu52's flaws (the comparisons he makes with post-Crisis DC Comics in his Fatman interview are definitely subtle criticism to the current reboot as is Rebirth). Given how quickly he fucked off the Superman book, I think he never had any passion for it.
>>
>>83141755
>Morrison
>>
>>83143684
Omega Men finished today and it was good.
>>
>>83143702
It's about the general tone of both universes you massive retard.
In DCU, the good wins at the end of the day.
In Watchmen universe, there is a constant looming threat of nuclear annihilation and the literal god just fucked off because he lost his faith in humanity.
>>
>>83148316
>morrison getting involved in continuity again
>mosirron fixing the mess Johns created
>>
>>83150110
I'm a massive retard? I make a post about the (un)subtlety of the message and what you understand is that I didn't get said message?
>>
>>83151362
the conclusion you reached was
>WE are SAVING comics
which I have no fucking idea how you got to
>>
>>83143684
Omega Men literally just finished and it had a good ending
>>
File: really now.png (308 KB, 500x342) Image search: [Google]
really now.png
308 KB, 500x342
>>83146524
>Johns does Harras' job
>Harras will still be there for some reason
>>
Maybe Rucka. Morrison.

Or they could poach Waid.
>>
>>83141755
Johns already did an incredible job of it.
>>
>>83151729
>johnsfags
>>
>>83141882

The only weird part of it was the Watchmen involvement, if Johns did like Morrison and make his own OC villains for allegorical purposes it'd be fucking great, but he just has to adapt and borrow pre-existing characters. When he needs hero characters that's great, but it doesn't necessarily work when he's reusing characters for villains.
>>
>>83142116
>These weren't characters that were supposed to be continued or serialized,

They have been for decades in the form of the Charlton characters they were ripped off from. These characters are hardly unique or special aside from the added personality quirks/backstories Moore tacked on to make them slightly different from the original versions.
>>
File: carlos.jpg (19 KB, 500x367) Image search: [Google]
carlos.jpg
19 KB, 500x367
>>83142163
No, it's Hitch.
>>
>>83151505
'twas a joke, but yeah, DC is currently writing an idieological/moral/whatever you wanna call it "war" where they're the good guys

Yes, i understand the message, the whole "sorry we were a bit edgy recently!" deal, and how Watchmen is being used as a golden scapego-- oh, sorry, metatextual metaphor for darker comics etcetera, doesn't mean they can pull it off properly. Heck, i'd say the message wasn't required at all, New52 might've had some darker and more serious than usual elements here and there but it was never such an edgefest travesty that it needed another Kingdom Come to fix it. This whole thing is just another commercial gimmick
>>
>>83154748

correct person is: winner
>>
>>83141755
Genuine question, were you guys really impressed by this issue? Because as someone who has no attachment to wally post crisis continuity or watchmen, this issue was pretty much meh and felt unnecessary to me.
>>
>>83154987
I'm impressed the industry always finds a new way to disappoint. Or should i say, to remind me why i stopped buying monthly floppied
>>
>>83141755

I dont know. This feels like a very big project to pull off
>>
>>83154987
Not really. Didn't like the bb scarab is magic now either.
>>
If they manage to get Dave Gibbons on the art I'd actualy get excited.

If I could pick a writer it would be Morrison, but I really doubt he'd want to do it.
>>
So I guess this means Earth 4 Captain Atom isn't nearly as powerful as Dr. Manhattan, considering he didn't notice?
>>
I'm just going to say what I feel. Watchmen really shouldn't be touched. The themes and storytelling of mainstream DC and Watchmen don't match at all. Mainstream DC is feel good stuff and Watchmen is pretty much real art.

This is stupid. Doctor Manhattan hanging out with Superman is stupid. It's all so dumb and I hate it. Yeah, I'll probably read it.
>>
File: 1445898430496.png (455 KB, 481x750) Image search: [Google]
1445898430496.png
455 KB, 481x750
>>83156764
There are no sacred cows you shit
>>
File: Owlman[1].jpg (88 KB, 1200x1600) Image search: [Google]
Owlman[1].jpg
88 KB, 1200x1600
>>83156863
Obviously
>>
>>83141755

DC lured a past employee back into the (quantum chaos) fold to handle the writing chores - British chap, Alan Moore.

RUMOR UNLOCKED!
>>
>>83158628
Holy shit, can you imagine the shitstorm?
>>
>>83150228
The shitstorm if the person using Moore's characters is Morrison.
>>
>>83156863
That meme died the day it was born, it was beautiful. Don't bring it back anon.
>>
>>83156764
>The themes and storytelling of mainstream DC and Watchmen don't match at all
That's the point though. New 52 and comics in general for a while have been trying to emulate the edginess of Watchmen. Rebirth is fixing that while also tackling it head on. DC loves their meta hypercrisis shit.
>>
>>83147719
Ic was a kingdom come spoof
>>
>>83147960
Which ones.

What did he say on fatman
>>
>>83158628
>>83158927
Moore hates dc so much he has a clause in every contract he signs that the deal becomes null and void if dc buys the company he signed with.
>>
Someone have the archive to the first /co/ reveal of Rebirth? I would love to see the initial reactions
>>
>>83141755
Morrison
Thread replies: 77
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.