[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it weird that I have a sort of cautious curiosity leaning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: smurfs.jpg (96 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
smurfs.jpg
96 KB, 1280x720
Is it weird that I have a sort of cautious curiosity leaning towards a hint of optimism about the upcoming Smurfs movie? I admit the movie still sounds like a gamble and most of my optimism is coming from who the director is (that Dreamworks horse movie Spirit and Shrek 2 guy) and that going by the official production tumblr (I know, I know. Deep breaths now) the people working out seem genuinely eager to create something they can be proud of.

on the other hand, I've never watched The Goldbergs (A writer from that show seems to be the person helming the screenplay. Anyway, the show doesn't seem like something I'd be into going by the commercials) and yeah, it is more than a little bit concerning that none of the writing staff has any credentials that give me reason to be even more hyped. So good (sometimes just okay) director but, possibly questionable writing team.. this is quite a mixed bag but, I can actually see an at least decent movie coming out of this. I wouldn't mind getting "blown away" though and getting
a surprisingly great movie. Maybe if Kelly Asbury leans more towards his mindset of when he directed 'Spirit' and not so much the 'Shrek 2'/'Gnomeo and Juilet' type mindset..

Anyone else at least holding interest to see how this new Smurfs movie turns out or do you most of you feel it's a pretty hopeless endeavour?
>>
>>83131717
>Anyone else at least holding interest to see how this new Smurfs movie turns out or do you most of you feel it's a pretty hopeless endeavour?
First I have ever heard about this.
>>
File: That's kind of smurf.png (69 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
That's kind of smurf.png
69 KB, 600x600
>>83131717
I didn't a new Smurf movie was being prepared after the two abominations, and the pic you posted looks genuinely great. So, yeah, thanks to you, I'll look forward to it.
>>
Just based on the promotional artwork, it already looks like it's heading in a better direction than the abysmal live-action movies went in. Hopefully they won't try to force the characters to come into a modern day setting. That was a pretty huge fundamental mistake with the live-action movies.
>>
>>83131717
It actually looks like it has promise, since it's going fully animated this time. I'm giving it the same cautious optimism I had about the Peanuts movie, personally.
>>
Even if adaptations are "true to the original", I don't know how anyone can enjoy Hannah Barbara productions. Even in their hey-day, they were boring, cliche, and stale as shit. This goes for Flintstones, Jetsons, Tom Cat, Yogi Bear, Wacky Races, Scooby Doo, all of that.
>>
>>83138345
It's about execution, anon
>>
>>83138345
Smurfs wasn't originally Hanna-Barbera. The Smurfs started off as minor characters from a Belgian comic strip called Johan and Peewit. The titular characters of that strip were adventurers from a medieval setting, and the Smurfs were creatures that they came across on one of their journeys. The Smurfs became popular and spun-off into their own comic strip. This was all several decades before Hanna-Barbera ever made it into a cartoon.
>>
>>83131717
Can they use Jew Wizard without toning him down?
>>
>>83140979
>feeding the troll
He was baiting you, anon.

As to the OP: I ignored the other movies based on the god awful previews/trailers but if this is more like the cartoons ( that is: in the woods/Smurf village rather than 'Country Mouse in the Big City' and w/o the endless Pop Culture jokes ) I'd be cautiously optimistic.

One thing I've never understood is why they never get the size correct: as a kid I remember being confused when Garamel explained to someone else ( might have been his cat ) that Smurfs were "3 apples tall" complete with a drawing ( in the style of a medical chart ) ... but when he picked one up the were more like 1 apple high ( about the size of a gerbil ) just like they are in OP's image.
>>
>>83131717
I think that I have no way of relating to the characters if they are not using Sony brand laptops and smart phones in New York or Paris or some other modern metropolis.

0/10, can not engage brands
>>
>>83141485
>One thing I've never understood is why they never get the size correct: as a kid I remember being confused when Garamel explained to someone else ( might have been his cat ) that Smurfs were "3 apples tall" complete with a drawing ( in the style of a medical chart ) ... but when he picked one up the were more like 1 apple high ( about the size of a gerbil ) just like they are in OP's image.

I remember their size being pretty inconsistent. It would fluctuate all the time, sometimes even in the same episode. It always bothered me, too.
>>
>>83138345
>Wacky Races
OVER THE LINE
>>
>>83131717
Been following them on Tumblr for about two years now. No shit, started just by come coincidence, but whenever I see them posting, you can tell how much heart they're putting into it. Even if it turns out bad, I can already tell they had at least some great people working on it and did think about how to create the village, the characters etc.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.