[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Superior Spider-Man good or not? Everyone seems to have differing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 15
Is Superior Spider-Man good or not? Everyone seems to have differing opinions about it.
>>
>>83129327
I loved it, it was interesting seeing doc ock mix his ego with Peters morality
>>
Slott has good ideas that he can't execute for shit. SpOck was no different.
>>
>>83129327
It lasted far longer than it needed to.
>>
>>83129416
Doest it make Doc OOC for the most par, ignoring all his vile actions so we get forced feelings?
>>
>>83129327
Really interesting setup, crazy-hyped start, squandered potential.
>>
Read up until chapter 10. I'm liking it. The whole mental battle with Peter was a little too corny though. Otherwise I'm having fun.
>>
>>83129556
It wasn't corny or long enough
There was a perfect chance for ghost Peter to say "No! I'm Peter... Palmer?" and Slott didn't take it
>>
>>83129450
This. I'd have rather it been a little 6 issue arc rather than an entire year of the character's storytelling.

Eventually, Spider-Man is going to have the living fuck retconned out of him (literally), and things like this will be directly to blame.
>>
File: 567760[1].jpg (315 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
567760[1].jpg
315 KB, 1920x1080
How about the one who is more superior but die young
>>
the biggest problem with it is not the pete-ock interactions. it's that everyone else involved has to become raging retards in order not to notice that peter has completely changed personalities and is very wary of other heroes that he knew before his massive personality change. Slott just gives people like captain america, iron man, reed richards and others IQs of about 60 so no one notices.
>>
>>83129327
Everything but Slott comics can range from meh to great. Avenging is the best.

From Slott run the hobgoblin arc is pretty good, the rest might go from too silly to too edgy.

I'd recommend the first arc, troubled mind, hobgoblin and the finale.

The everything by Cage and Yost, the X + A Issue with Magneto, and the inhumanity mini.

I like the idea behind the character not exactly Ock possesing Peter. Just a Cape that is not exactly grounded, and a fucking edgelord, more like villain tactics applied to heroics along with Ocks background as a guy who is given the opportunity to do hero deeds despite having been labeled a bad guy, kinda like wreck it ralph I guess?
>>
>>83129327
About halfway through it right now. Been catching up on Spider-Man after dropping the series back when Superior started up. It's alright, nothing special, nothing horrible. I think a lot of the backlash is because Marvel hyped it to hell and back and nothing particularly great came of it.
>>
As someone who mostly hated it and was salty about how #700 ended, looking back at it, it wasn't that bad of a concept, but the fact that the story only worked by making everyone him significantly dumber makes me still dislike it.
>>
>>83129450
>>83130086
I know /co/ knows shit about comics, but this was originally a 4 issue arc that was extended ad nauseam because ASM2 was coming out and nobody wanted to bother doing shit for ASM the comic because everything would had gone to shit due to the forced movie tie ins, Slott was ASKED to extend Superior, and good stuff came out of it unlike Spider-verse which were about 5 good issues not written by Slott, Slott pissing so badly on Spider-Girl forcing the original writter out of retirement, and a couple of adequate panels. The rest of spiderverse was awful.
>>
Autists were mad about it because they actually believed it would stick. It's just a fun, short story about a villain trying his best to be a good guy and failing at it.
>>
>>83130348
>short
>>
>>83130308
>making everyone him significantly dumber makes me still dislike it.

Eh it came out not that long after A vs X, the avengers acting like dense retards was in character at the time, more so given Hickman's Avengers.

MJ treatment was THE worst.
>>
>>83130358
Reading it as it's releasing? Yeah it's long. If OP was to go read it in a bulk, he could read the whole thing in an afternoon.
>>
>>83129327
It was crazy-town banana-pants.
>>
>>83130235
>nothing particularly great came of it.
I disagree, Avenging was great. A+X was overall cool, but Badies was the best one.
>>83130348
>short story about a villain trying his best to be a good guy and failing at it.

Not entirelly, but I really liked how everything came undone, under a better pen it would had been better. I would like to see someone tackle that again. I really liked Spock. Feels like the last time I genuinlly had fun with /co/ and Muhvel.
>>
He was best when trying to bone Lady Sif
>>
File: 1461366176364.jpg (57 KB, 637x946) Image search: [Google]
1461366176364.jpg
57 KB, 637x946
>>83129327
This was a concept that would've fared much better as an Elseworlds story. That way people that like the concept and people who don't care for it can co-exist in peace, and it could've lasted much longer since he could easily appear in the Spider-verse ongoing.

However, as it stands right now, it's a godawful 616 story. It only served to fuck up the status quo in the worst possible ways. Almost every other character was almost comically OOC, and everyone had to be dumbed down in order for the basic plot to even work. Not to mention that rushed as shit ending.

So overall, I hated it. It had potential as a spin-off comic, but it really fucked up the execution and everyone knew Peter had to come back eventually.
>>
>>83130348
Nobody believed it would stick. People were mad that it took Peter out of the book for a year, and cape fans are used to having their favorites continually published every month. People were also mad that Peter was given a very unsatisfactory "death" in a milestone issue.
>>
>>83129327
It is good, but if you are a Peterfag you wont like it. Also, it has problems at the end of the run, but those are most probably editorial mandates than anything.
>>
I liked it in general. I found ending was weakly executed, though.

Spider-Verse would've been a pretty good storyline to end Superior, I think. Having Peter come back as one of the "every Spider-Men ever" and take his place as the one true Spider-Man.

I guess that's my issue with both arcs. They're okay, but could've been WAY better.

Also, Superior worked best with Ramos on art. Never really liked Cammuncoli.
>>
Its SHIT as in

S H I T
H
I
T

Read Superior Foes. Its the same story written by someone competent instead of a fucking hack.
>>
>>83130691
Meh, it was a damned good jumping-on point, though. You gotta give it that.
>>
>>83130691
Its not related to be a Peterfag. The idea is good, just terribly executed. The spinoff Superior foes was 10 times better.
>>
>>83129327
OP, as someone who was enraged that Slott killed 616 Peter so soon after the Ultimate Peter died, I can confidently say that it's pretty good.
There are some cool scenarios that are fun to read like:
>How Venom(Flash), Scarlet Spider, & Spider-man 2099 react to SpOck who they admire but is now a total asshole
>How does SpOck defeat villains that once used to be his allies
> Green Goblin finding out that Doctor Octopus was inside Peter's body was cool
It's not ground breaking but it's fun to read. There's a lot of anons here who don't really like big changes like that but now that it's over, it's an interesting concept. I'd recommend it

Also the second superior suit was GOAT
>>
File: Back in Action.jpg (89 KB, 560x305) Image search: [Google]
Back in Action.jpg
89 KB, 560x305
>>83131879
It was almost worth it for this moment alone.
>>
idea was good but like all dan slott stories, execution suck donkey dicks
spock written by other people is actually interesting
>>
>>83132420
Is Peter back in control here?
>>
File: SuperiorSM_31024ct.jpg (78 KB, 550x430) Image search: [Google]
SuperiorSM_31024ct.jpg
78 KB, 550x430
>>83132420
Followed by the most confusing escape of all time.
>>
>>83129443
This, every other appearance of Spock he's written so much better than in the main Superior book.
>>
File: Superior Plan of Escape.jpg (425 KB, 1862x503) Image search: [Google]
Superior Plan of Escape.jpg
425 KB, 1862x503
>>83132660
>>
>>83132660
>>
>>83129327
It was great. For decades the villains in comic books have been more competent than the heroes. Hmm, in fact since the 90s, that really screwed up everything, didn't it? They need to go back to effective heroes. Oct Spiderman acted like the 70s cartoon Spiderman instead of the high-pitched-voice teen Spiderman they're shilling in the movies and cartoons now. And it was great.

Those who'd like to make it never happen need to remember that Parker needed to get his act together, put his life back together, and Oc did so. Future writers can just point to Superior and Parker Inc. and say "That fixed it. Now we can we can write as much irresponsible webslinging as we want."
>>
>>83133247
> Future writers can just point to Superior and Parker Inc. and say "That fixed it. Now we can we can write as much irresponsible webslinging as we want."
Until they get bored and decide that they liked him better as a miserable screw-up with no common sense and no accomplishments to his name. Then they'll throw all that stuff out the window and into the trash, like their predecessors did before them.
>>
It was excellent until the writers realized that the people reading it liked Spock more than Peter. They had to nip that in the bud.
>>
File: Superior903.jpg (893 KB, 1328x2048) Image search: [Google]
Superior903.jpg
893 KB, 1328x2048
>>83129623
>and Slott didn't take it

He ddi though.
>>
>>83130216

This is where you draw the line?

After 10+ years of peter leaving the room and spider-man appearing saying "oh I saw him outside" and no one is the least bit suspicious, you complain about people not noticing a guy who is a flake and sketchy out of costume acting slightly more weirder than his usual self?
>>
Slott rendered the ENTIRE CONCEPT radioactive by

A. Having Otto try and out Hitler Hitler twenty issues prior to the start of the storyline

B. Having the body swap happen in a manner that made it 100% IMPOSSIBLE for ANYONE to support Otto given that he stole Peter's body wholesale for the simple sake of malice and evil and Marvel made Peter even MORE fucking worthless/retarded to roll over and die and let Otto get away with it.

Had The End of the World never happen and they came up with a way where the body swap was done in a manner where Otto was SYMPATHETIC and not in Satanic Evil mode and where Otto was just as much a victim as Peter in terms of being mind swapped against his will (and to the point that the mindswap was public knowledge in order to eliminate the hurdle of everyone being mentally retarded afterwords to keep the farce going), it MIGHT MIGHT MIGHT have worked.

Having Otto be in pure Satanic Hitler mode te entire time basically made the whole thing unredeemable. No one would consider Otto "superior" or even tolerate the notion under the circumstances we got for the whole thing
>>
>>83129327
No. It's Dying Wish stretched for 30 issues that held anyone's interest only because of Slott's constant trolling. Remember when Slott appeared in Watcher toll everyone that Peter is dead and that's that?

I doubt anyone can really appreciate it unless you were at the time when ride was happening. In couple of years it will be looked down on like it was some filler because it can't live outside of its time. And it really was just filler.

However, Yost did some good stuff with character in Avenging Spider-man and Superior Team-Up, he was just constantly crippled by not being in charge of character.
>>
>>83133557
This.

Slott, had he been planning this for a while, should have been banned from portraying Otto in any negative light and more so, should have been doing a long term rehabbing of Otto months in advance to set it up. Or at least given us a plot point where Otto is dying and yet they need his smarts to save the world and Peter makes the unilateral decision to body swap with Otto so he can do it and Otto being the one body swapped against his will. Otto saves the world but the bad guy who's plan Otto foiled kills Peter in Otto's body before Otto can get his body back and spends the next year/year and a half trying to avoid being caught because no one cares that Otto died, or know Peter went behind the Avengers back to do the mindswap.
>>
>>83133557
Oh hay Kirk!
>>
>>83131879

I like the suit but only as a signal that Spock was finally his own man after the mind wipe

I love the first suit, how much darker it was, and I particularly loved the goggle eyes too and how they would often spread, or is the proper word "dilate" in this case?
>>
I loved being a part of the threads when it was story timed and listening to both sides argue about it. I was more intrigued however by those who loved Spock and who legitimately wanted him to stay. While those who were #teampeter just wanted him to stay because it was wrong, the only thing that shitposters flung about every other post was omd.

I found some interesting responses though about those who legitimately wanted Spock to hang around and where they saw him going down the line, because there was nowhere for him to go but up with all the power he was trying to gather until Goblin Nation revealed he never had it.
>>
>>83131879
>How Venom(Flash), Scarlet Spider, & Spider-man 2099 react to SpOck who they admire but is now a total asshole
>How does SpOck defeat villains that once used to be his allies
> Green Goblin finding out that Doctor Octopus was inside Peter's body was cool
All of it was good literally anywhere but Superior Spider-man by literally anyone but Slott.

And those ideas just don't warrant 2 year status QUO change and the fact that it changed into SatAM cartoon episode plot.
>BODY SWAP
Yeah, no, that's never been original or good, I think Sabrina the Little Witch TV show handled it better than Slott.
>>
>>83129327
It was a storyline that twenty years ago would have been done in two issues that was stretched to an entire year.
It just wasn't interesting enough to last that long but Marvel's retarded writing strategies made that happen.
>>
It brought me back to Spider-books. I liked it a lot.
>>
>>83132420
That actually WAS a pretty awesome moment.
>>
>>83129327
It was really good. I was tempted to be rustled about the ASM 600 reveal but Superior was very good. Definitely read it.
>>
>>83133557
I agree, I loved Superior and the concept behind it.
But after being such a fucking psychopath in the past it really blows it.

>>83133669
Eh no, it is just that Doc Ock fails to be sympathetic for being such a terrible asshole, ignoring that. I like the concept a lot.
I am not gonna lie, Superior Spider-Man was strangely a relatable comic in the following sense:

A guy who was told was a nobody, bullied constantly and he is then miraculously given a second chance he could had used to be a selfish prick, tell the world to go fuck itself and use all the power in the world for his own leisure but he finds that he is not a terrible person after all...if anything that is how Peter was when he started it all, it was tragedy and emotion which had driven him.

It just hit me that I liked Spock because part of his motivation was similar to vintage Peter. If anything Slott accidentally wrote a psychotic, but true version of Peter Parker.
>>
>>83133962
Same here, but Spider-verse kicked me out, and ASM #1 locked the door.

Slott current ASM is just a Iron Man, and it makes Bendis version look even worse, A) Because Slott is out writing him, and B) Because Bendis still finds way to make Marvel insufferable.
>>
>>83129327
It got me hardcore into comics. It was fun as fuck to read serially. And as a way to kick back an afternoon, it isn't awful.
Flawed but fun
>>
>>83133129
oh my god i love this
>>
>>83129327
It was the first time Spider-Man acted like an adult since the late 90's.
It was also an egomaniac's rollercoaster ride of realizing how much he sucked and how much his nemesis could do if he put his mind into it.

Pretty good in my opinion.
>>
>>83135664
>It was the first time Spider-Man acted like an adult since the late 90's.
Slott's Spider-man has never been an adult. Slott's Octavious was literally a manchild.
>Muh legacy!
>Muh superiority!
>Muhria!

Last time Spider-man was an adult was when Spider-man was being written by JMS. But I bet Slott already sent you your money in your bank account for shilling.
>>
File: baited.jpg (20 KB, 376x410) Image search: [Google]
baited.jpg
20 KB, 376x410
>>83133517
>>83129623
>>
>>83129416
>his ego with Peters morality
This literally never happened. Ock was a villain 100% of the time.
>>
>>83129327
If you enjoy reading some of the worst stories (this is Trouble levels of bad) comics have to offer you, then it might be "good".
>>
>>83130322
>Slott was ASKED to extend Superior

No he wasn't, Quit making shit up. There were countless accounts from both Slott and Alonso (among others) about how they had the entire thing planned in summits before the first issue even got published. Slott pitched a 30 issue arc.
>>
>>83139324
Hey! Trouble wasn't that bad.
>>
>>83130361
>Eh it came out not that long after A vs X, the avengers acting like dense retards was in character at the time

Just because one writer does a shit job, doesn't mean every writer is now obligated to follow suit. Slott's treatment of the supporting cast in Superior was inexcusable.
>>
>>83130717
>liking Superior
>liking Spider-Verse
>Liking Ramos
>Liking Ramos MORE than Cammuncoli

That's some shit taste, anon. Have some standards.
>>
>>83131879
>>How Venom(Flash), Scarlet Spider, & Spider-man 2099 react to SpOck who they admire but is now a total asshole
>>How does SpOck defeat villains that once used to be his allies
>> Green Goblin finding out that Doctor Octopus was inside Peter's body was cool

....you liked all those characters after Slott turned them all into mouth breathing morons?

Shit taste confirmed.
>>
>>83141693
You're right, Superior was worse.
>>
>>83129327
The non Slott wirtten Spock stories were great. The Slott written ones were always meh.
>>
I've just never liked body swap storylines.
It's shit, it never lasts, and all it does is create drama.
>>
>>83129327
The concept is good, but the story itself is one of the worst Spider-Man stories I have ever read.

If you can watch s6-s8 Dexter without getting angry at how stupid everyone including the protagonist is, then go ahead. This is pretty much comic equivalent of that.
>>
Watching SpOck bully that Q-list vampire was great. The storytimes, and /co/'s reactions to stupid shit helped me enjoy it a LOT more.

It's your fault I enjoyed Superior Spider-Man, /co/. The blood is on your hands.
>>
>>83129327
It's brilliant. Only thing Slott did right.
>>
>>83142640
Gr8 b8 m8.
>>
i just want superior back with anna marie
fuck you marvel for making us wait
fuck you
>>
>>83129327
Shitt is a shit writer. Period.

This could have been GREAT.

But:

1) Shitt wants to be "Teh Bestest Spidey Riter EVAH." So this is him plagiarizing Kraven's Last Hunt.

There's a reason why Kraven's Last Hunt is only six issues, however. Because

2) For Superior to work, EVERYONE in Peter's life has to be stoned on stupid pills and their IQs lowered to the number of Shitt's metal age.

3) Structurally, this is the usual Shitt clusterfuck. It's repetitive ad nauseam until, oops, Shitt has to wrap up the story. And then..

4) Boom! Out of nowhere conclusion, in which SpOck just hands over control to Peter. Peter doesn't earn it. Peter doesn't fight his way back. Which leads to...

5) You'd think being "kllled" and having your life usurped would have some sort of emotional effect. Peter's affect would be changed, at least for a short period. Nope! This story lead to zero change. If anything, Peter doubles down on being Shitt's juvenile manchild douchebro.

6) Shitt then character assassinates Peter's female supporting cast. Anna Maria? Here, let me bake you cookies while I continue to live with the body stolen by the man I love because that's normal behavior. Mary Jane? I can't even list the atrocities committed by Shitt to her character. Felicia? Triple goes for her.

7) and because Shitt only knows how to write his fifth grade fanfiction and Doctor Who ripoffs, he adds a deus ex machina time portal because of course he does.

In short, this is a shitty shitty story written by the laziest hack in the Marvel smelly stable. Brevoort must really Slott's rubbery lips, or maybe he just loves Slott's slot.

Again, the idea of Superior is awesome. I have nothing against "killing" and replacing Peter. I enjoyed not having to read about Shitt's pathetic manchild. But the execution is HORRIBLE.
>>
>>83142338
Fuck off, Slott
>>
File: 1462895659198.gif (188 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
1462895659198.gif
188 KB, 500x375
>>83129327
Can somebody please post the pages of Spock smashing Black Cat in the face?
I felt such schadenfreude reading that.
>>
>>83145320
>I felt such schadenfreude reading that.
The fuck is wrong with you, anon?
>>
File: 1463118686272.gif (3 MB, 640x266) Image search: [Google]
1463118686272.gif
3 MB, 640x266
>>83146237
How much time do you have?
>>
>>83146417
A lot, actually.
>>
File: The Year Was 1968.png (207 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
The Year Was 1968.png
207 KB, 640x480
>>83146577
Well, here it is as concisely as I can put it.
Women have protect status in society now. In western countries, at least. They get free help from the state, the education system, the government, all without lifting a finger. Despite protests to the contrary, they're arguably the most privileged class. And they get a pussy pass every time. Murdered your children? 12 months in a psych facility. Killing while drunk driving? Rehab on probation. Doxxing and instigating assault? Not a damn thing.

Even if it's just in fiction, that's why I like seeing women getting roughed up. Talk shit, get hit.
>>
It's good just hipster wannabes here will tell you otherwise because everyone here is a cynical asshole.
>>
>>83147123
No, some of us can actually read and know this story is shit.

Don't hate us because we're smarter than you.
>>
File: superior-foes-of-spider-man.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
superior-foes-of-spider-man.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1080
We got this out of it- so net positive?
>>
Does Slott have any redeeming runs?

Like Bendis has Daredevil and Ultimate Spiderman
>>
>>83129327
Good concept, shit execution.

Actually, that should be the Marvel slogan nowadays.
>>
>>83147065
You're one fucked up person, Anon. Seriously.
>>
>>83147123
You have it mixed up, anon. Hipster wannabes are the ones who claim its good. For those hipster wannabes, Superior is effectively, "Baby's First Spider-Man Book" and they think its cool as shit, not having any prior knowledge of the character or how the book normally functions.
>>
>>83147277
>Does Slott have any redeeming runs?
Redeeming? No.

He had a few not totally awful short stories during Brand New Day, though. New Ways to Die was alright. But I could just be biased and blind, since I love the Thunderbolts.
>>
File: Cool Story Bro.gif (1 MB, 227x136) Image search: [Google]
Cool Story Bro.gif
1 MB, 227x136
>>83147306
Thanks
>>
>>83147277
His avengers run with Scientist Supreme Pym. Also GLA.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.