[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC REBIRTH
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 25
File: 1.jpg (89 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
89 KB, 500x283
DC Rebirth Speculation

So after Johns makes a bold as fuck claim for tone and theme and all the crazy fanfare for the launch Rebirth's Wild Ride is starting

Dr Manhattan's Wild Ride? We'll work on it
>>
I'm just hanging around in hopes of the comic getting leaked around midnight.
>>
>>83128352
I will miss these threads
>>
>>83128422
They're doing midnight launches at some comic shops so someone might scan it and do a ghetto storytime while we wait for digital
>>
File: 1448322236888.gif (521 KB, 320x179) Image search: [Google]
1448322236888.gif
521 KB, 320x179
I can't wait for all the Hypercrisis speculation once the issue comes out.
>>
>>83128465
In the time it would take to scan 80 pages the digital one would be up already
>>
Johns has been making it sound like it's Wally West's Wild Ride
>>
>>83128556

We live in a time of Wally West vs Dr Manhattan as a major event.

fucking wild.
>>
>>83128352
I'm just going to drop this incredibly salty review by Graphic Policy. Spoilers I guess.

>This wasn’t supposed to happen, was it?

>Less than five years ago, when DC re-launched their entire line with their obviously-hastily-assembled “New 52” initiative, we were promised that “this was the big one,” that the changes it introduced were “permanent,” and that the then-new version of the corporate universe it presented was “here to stay.” At first, of course, sales were strong, but it didn’t take long for one thing to become very clear : people just weren’t crazy about this purportedly “darker,” more “mature,” and more “realistic” world their favorite characters were inhabiting. DC’s “brain” trust tried some tinkering around the edges here and there, and even went the “soft relaunch” route just last summer when they re-branded everything “DC You” and tried to impose a “lighter” tone on just about everything by means of editorial edict, but the writing was on the wall — as sales on pretty much every title apart from Batman continued to tail off, everybody knew the days of the “New 52 Universe” were numbered, and that we’d be starting all over from scratch with brand new first issues sooner rather than later.

>Well, that “sooner” day has arrived with the release of DC Universe : Rebirth #1, an 80-page special (priced at only $2.99) written by Geoff Johns and illustrated by Gary Frank, Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, and Phil Jimenez (with an equally-large committee of inkers and colorists in tow) that, depending on your outlook, either manages to right the flagging ship that is the DCU or simply rearranges the deck chairs on the Titanic. Unfortunately, from this critic’s point of view, the latter seems much more likely to be the case.
>>
>>83128721

they aren't wrong. so much of this depends on how DC goes from here.
>>
>>83128721
>Let’s be brutally honest about something, then, shall we? If you want a writer who feels that addressing the obvious and superficial, surface-level deficiencies in any given character or group of characters is tantamount to fixing their “problems,” Geoff Johns is your guy. He did it with previous “Rebirth” efforts more narrowly focused on the Green Lantern Corps and the Flash, and this time he’s been tasked with doing the same for — well, everybody (never mind that he penned the Flashpoint mini-series that set this whole “New 52” mess rolling). In fact, the “suits” at Warner Brothers are so confident in his ability to get to the so-called “essence” of their four-color properties that he’s been elevated to co-head honcho (along with Jon Berg) of the so-called “DCEU” movie line, ostensibly to do some sort of “course correction” on that nascent enterprise since the roughly $900 million Zack Snyder’s Batman V Superman : Dawn Of Justice took in at the worldwide box office is absurdly considered to be a “disappointment.” On the plus side, that means that Snyder’s probably on the way out over there. On the minus side, it means that Johns is in.

>But let’s concentrate on the “plus” side of the ledger again for a moment, shall we? Because there’s one other huge plus to Johns’ elevation — it means that DC Universe : Rebirth will probably be the last comic book he writes in a good, long while, and that’s very welcome news indeed because, given the evidence on display here, the guy is absolutely out of new ideas.
>>
>>83128615
I love it

I love Johns

Can't get over the black Wally cousin retcon. It's just too good.
>>
>>83128756
>If you want a writer who feels that addressing the obvious and superficial, surface-level deficiencies in any given character or group of characters is tantamount to fixing their “problems,” Geoff Johns is your guy.

Q
F
F
T

/co/ sucks this guy off so much, but that's his whole deak.
>>
>>83128756
>For all its readily-apparent faults, the “New 52” at least was a forward-thinking enterprise. It had as its primary goal bringing new readers into the fold, simplifying and streamlinig DCU continuity, and telling accessible stories. It failed at all of those things, by and large, to be sure — but at their core, those are all good ideas. Rebirth, by contrast, takes the opposite tack : its primary objective is to bring back all the old readers that have been lost over the past few years and to “re-set” the characters and their timeline back to the way things were, albeit with a few wrinkles thrown in to keep folks guessing. There’s just one major flaw in this “thinking”: where they were was such a convoluted mess that it necessitated the previous re-launch in the first place.

>Still, if nostalgia is your bag, DC Universe : Rebirth #1 has it in spades. Nightwing is back in blue. Wally West is a redhead (and, crucially for a depressingly large number of people, a white dude) again. Aquaman and Mera are back together. Green Arrow and Black Canary are back together. If that’s enough to convince you that DC is back on the right track, then sit back and enjoy the ride — you’re gonna love Rebirth.
>>
>>83128756
>didn't like Flash or Green Lantern Rebirth
opinion discarded
>>
>>83128793
>Still, if that’s not enough for you, don’t worry, there’s more : That “New 52” version of Superman that nobody ever really liked? He’s apparently dead. Pandora, the character purportedly responsible (at least on some level) for the “creation” of the “New 52 Universe”? She dies, as well — rather brutally, it must be said — in a scene clearly heavy with “metafictional” elements designed by Johns to absolve himself of any guilt over what happened as a result of Flashpoint. Heck, he even lets the Barry Allen Flash off the hook — and, by extension, wipes his own conscience completely clean — by revealing that the whole paradoxical mess he unleashed was, unbeknownst to him (and, by extension, us), the work of some “unseen hand” (as seen on the cover of this issue) who literally stole ten years from the DCU and meddled in the affairs of its heroes in order to “weaken” them and make their world easy pickings for some “outside force.” And it’s that “unseen hand” and “outside force” that proves what a creatively bankrupt enterprise this whole thing is.
>>
>>83128756
>marvel fags literally incapable of holding a conversation without mentioning BvS
>>
>>83128793

>Wally West is a redhead (and, crucially for a depressingly large number of people, a white dude) again

no i'm excited he's in multiple books and has writers other than vendetti and co
>>
>>83128808
He's written good Flash stories, though Rebirth is not one of them. May have been more forgivable if his run afterward had a chance to do anything but DC undercut it and made him turn the Flashpoint mini event in a universe restarter.
>>
>>83128855
oh boy, here comes the NOT MUH WATCHMEN
>>
>>83128855
>At this point we’re firmly into “let’s not kid ourselves” territory, so let’s not : the reason the “New 52” failed comes down to one simple factor, my friends — overly-tight, unbending, pig-headed editorial control. The artwork on most of the books displayed a depressing uniformity of style clearly informed by mid-90s WildStorm comics (thank you, Jim Lee). The various storylines in many of the titles were obviously coming not from the creators, but from their bosses. Many of the lead characters — and almost all of the side characters — were flat-out interchangeable in terms of tone and dialogue. And the “assembly-line” approach taken on the books was such a painfully obvious exercise in micro-management that one could even flip through the pages of any given DC title and count on a fight breaking out every four pages, tensions between characters bubbling to the surface every 12 pages, a villain making a “surprise” appearance every 16 pages — you get the idea. It was some serious “by-the-numbers” stuff, quite literally.

>Sure, the overall tone of the books was “darker” and “more somber” — and yes, our heroes are finally fucking smiling again in Rebirth. But guess what? They have no real reason to be, because all the powers-that-be that have been screwing up their stories for at least a decade, if not longer — Dan Didio, Eddie Berganza, Bob Harras, the aforementioned Jim Lee, and others (you know, DC’s real “Rogues’ Gallery”) — they’re all still there. And with most of the titles post-Rebirth now being slated to ship twice a month and the vast majority of them taking the same “art-by-committee” approach seen in this 80-page special, do you really think the level of direction and influence the editorial ranks has over DC’s product (and “product” is exactly what it is at this point) is going to lessen? Be serious.
>>
>>83128855
>>83128855
>At this point we’re firmly into “let’s not kid ourselves” territory, so let’s not : the reason the “New 52” failed comes down to one simple factor, my friends — overly-tight, unbending, pig-headed editorial control. The artwork on most of the books displayed a depressing uniformity of style clearly informed by mid-90s WildStorm comics (thank you, Jim Lee). The various storylines in many of the titles were obviously coming not from the creators, but from their bosses. Many of the lead characters — and almost all of the side characters — were flat-out interchangeable in terms of tone and dialogue. And the “assembly-line” approach taken on the books was such a painfully obvious exercise in micro-management that one could even flip through the pages of any given DC title and count on a fight breaking out every four pages, tensions between characters bubbling to the surface every 12 pages, a villain making a “surprise” appearance every 16 pages — you get the idea. It was some serious “by-the-numbers” stuff, quite literally.

>Sure, the overall tone of the books was “darker” and “more somber” — and yes, our heroes are finally fucking smiling again in Rebirth. But guess what? They have no real reason to be, because all the powers-that-be that have been screwing up their stories for at least a decade, if not longer — Dan Didio, Eddie Berganza, Bob Harras, the aforementioned Jim Lee, and others (you know, DC’s real “Rogues’ Gallery”) — they’re all still there. And with most of the titles post-Rebirth now being slated to ship twice a month and the vast majority of them taking the same “art-by-committee” approach seen in this 80-page special, do you really think the level of direction and influence the editorial ranks has over DC’s product (and “product” is exactly what it is at this point) is going to lessen? Be serious.
>>
>>83128891

these are all of my concerns but to be fair that clockwork shit worked for jim shooter. mostly
>>
>>83128855
>>83128793
>He believes Flashpoint was initially intended to bring about New 52
>>
File: awwwman.jpg (74 KB, 720x660) Image search: [Google]
awwwman.jpg
74 KB, 720x660
>>83128891
so true it's painful
>>
>>83128877

Agreed, I like Green Lantern Rebirth a lot, but Flash Rebirth wasn't his strongest story.

Actually I think my favorite thing Johns has written was his JSA run.
>>
>>83128891
Still, Johns is clearly in the midst of one bloated, confused non-apology here, and while he and his bosses have been saying all the right things in public about having “lost our way” and “failed to honor our legacy” and what have you, the underlying message of Rebirth is as painfully clear as it is preposterous — none of this is our fault. Fortunately, he does offer up a couple of scapegoats for the truly dim-witted to focus their ire on : Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons.

>It’s standard fan-boy “logic” these days, of course, to blame Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns for setting DC on a “darker” path. Never mind for an instant that neither of those books are anywhere near as “dark” as they’re touted as being, or that they brought DC a level of relevance they haven’t enjoyed before or since, or that the company is still milking both of ’em for all they’re worth and then some. They “set the tone.” They “steered DC onto the wrong path.” They “took all the joy and wonder out of superhero adventures” by deconstructing them in plain sight a little too successfully.
>>
>>83129009
His Action run is probably it for me.
>>
>>83128957

Wasn't Final Crisis supposed to be a reboot originally? Why did they delay it by 3 years?
>>
>>83129024
Which is all complete and utter bullshit, of course. Yes, those seminal series were more “mature” and “somber” than what had come before, but that was only a very small part of why they were — and remain — such successful and revolutionary comics. They each had wicked senses of humor, were plainly relevant to real-world issues and concerns, and most importantly, addressed the human condition in a meaningful and substantive way , utilizing the much-maligned superhero genre as their means for doing so. But the geniuses in editorial and (perhaps even more significantly) accounting — both at the time and since — never understood that. The message they took from the runaway critical and commercial success of the two titles that could (and by all rights should) have transformed the industry was that readers wanted “more dark comics” rather than “more good comics.” Is it any wonder the heights those books achieved have never been equaled at DC since?

>“So,” you rightly ask ” what the fuck has all this got to do with Rebirth“? Quite a bit, actually — the “New 52,” you see, was all Dr. Manhattan’s fault! There have been a lot of rumors flying around about Big, Blue, and Naked being “revealed” as “the creator” or even “the God,” of the DC Universe, but while Johns and his largely-competent-if-hopelessly-dull team of artists never go so far as to make that explicitly clear, he is, in fact, shown to be that “unseen hand” I was blathering on about a few paragraphs (shit, it feels like a lifetime) back, and the existential conflict that’s being set up to propel this storyline forward into and through the newly-renumbered (except for Action Comics and Detective Comics, which are reverting to their “classic” numbering) slew of comics making their way onto shelves starting next week is one of the “classic, more hopeful” DCU vs. the “grim and gritty” universe of the Watchmen.
>>
>>83129050
I think Levitz said no
>>
>>83129037

Oh yeah his Superman work is really strong too.
>>
File: What.jpg (4 MB, 3974x3056) Image search: [Google]
What.jpg
4 MB, 3974x3056
>>83128957
>No Reverse Flash Family and Abra Kadabra War
>No Legion of 3 Worlds
>>
>>83129050
Levitz didn't want the reboot. Nelson pushed it forward after she replaced him.

>>83129083
;_;
>>
>>83129064
>This just sucks on so many levels. For one thing, Before Watchmen was bad enough, but even if you’re one of the legions of suckers who has fallen victim to the years-long propaganda campaign perpetrated by DC and its compliant shills in the comics “press” to falsely portray Moore as some bitter, crazy old man, pissing on he and Gibbons’ creative legacy like this is just plain mean-spirited and gratuitous. The image we’re “treated to” in this comic of Batman holding up the Comedian’s iconic, blood-stained “smiley-face” button is both depressing for the clear “hey! We still don’t get it!” signal it sends, and infuriating for the insult it adds to previously-administered injuries. “Piling on” will get you a 15-yard penalty in a football game — in today’s comics world, it will probably earn Geoff Johns unmitigated praise for “having the guts to go where no one else would before.” And people wonder why I despair sometimes.

>Still, for all the bitter taste DC Universe : Rebirth left in my mouth, there were a couple of things that even I have to admit to liking about it : it was beyond nice to see Ted Kord back as the Blue Beetle. Having Dick Grayson ditch the spy game and return to super-heroing full-time is a good move. The JSA returning in its “classic” iteration is a no-brainer. And while the whole thing plays out as more a slap-dash series of “Cliff’s Notes”-style vignettes assembled for the purposes of both getting us up to speed on what we’ve been missing while we’ve been shelling out three and four bucks per issue every month for comics that take place in a universe that doesn’t even “count” anymore and to “tease” where things might be headed in subsequent months than it does an actual, cohesive narrative, some of Johns’ rapid-fire “let’s check in over here for a minute” stuff does, in fact, work.
>>
I hear Rebirth will be anti anti-continuity, which means the possibility of actual storytelling.

X-fag hopping on DC's Rebirth train.
>>
>>83129119
>But not nearly enough of it by any stretch of the imagination. And while a number of the creative teams on the forthcoming Rebirth titles seem reasonably promising on paper (Peter Tomasi , Patrick Gleason and Doug Mahnke on Superman; Greg Rucka, Liam Sharp, and Nicola Scott on Wonder Woman; Tom King, David Finch, and Mikel Janin on Batman; Christopher Priest and Carlo Pagulayan on Deathstroke), until I see some kind of proof that DC is loosening up their editorial control and actually allowing their creators to tell good stories, I remain beyond skeptical. If you’ve been waiting for years to see who wins a fight between Superman and Dr. Manhattan, or what happens when Blue Beetle and Night Owl team up to cleanse the streets of Hub City of evildoers, congratulations — odds are that you’re about to get your wish. For the rest of us, though, the downright pathological lack of originality on display in DC Universe : Rebirth #1 offers evidence of nothing other than the fact that five years (or less) from now, they’ll be doing the whole thing over yet again.

Story: Geoff Johns Art: Gary Frank, Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, and Phil Jimenez
Story: 2 Art: 5 Overall: 3.5 Recommendation: Pass. Please.
>>
>>83129119

How do so many people get that it's not about Watchmen itself, it's about people taking the tone and hopeless nature of Watchmen and trying to copy it with other superheroes.

Which yes ironically DC was very guilty of, in addition to riding on that popularity like what they're doing right now, but nothing that we've seen so far is laying the blame directly at Moore's feet.
>>
>>83129194
Johns knows DC is guilty of it, he's practically shitting all over New 52 using Watchmen.
>>
>>83129194
This review is just generally butthurt so I'm kind of willing to bet they purposely misread it to support the rest of their argument.
>>
>>83129176
>I hear Rebirth will be anti anti-continuity

It's kind of the opposite, it's re-instituting a lot of the legacy and connections between superheroes in the shared universe.
>>
>>83129193
>the downright pathological lack of originality on display in DC Universe : Rebirth #1

As I feared.
>>
>>83129083

God when Johns pulls off that this has all been set up for Zoom Corp vs Abra Kadabra vs Legion of 3 Worlds.

I'll die. Just explode.
>>
>>83129064
"Doctor Manhattan literally stole ten years from the DC Universe's world and made everything suck" seems like something Grant Morrison would write, not Geoff Johns. What is even going on?
>>
>>83129302
Johns mad
>>
DC Universe: Rebirth Final Lettered Preview +brand new leaked pages: >>83109904
Rebirth promo spread by Reis, Prado, and Hi-Fi: >>83124904
>>
>>83129302
Mimicking Morrison is the new tone they're going for versus the last 15 years of trying to mimic Moore, I guess. His works for them sure seem to sell, so~...
>>
>>83129302
>seems like something Grant Morrison would write

He's already done it on a much larger scale with Superman Beyond 3D and Multiversity.

The difference is that Morrison is very good about inventing his own metaphors to effectively represent those problems. Johns has to take pre-existing concepts or characters and bang them around to fit.
>>
>>83129248
He agrees with you, but I don't think that's a point for or against continuity exactly. What was erased was a lot of things that just don't exist in modern comics in teh same way. There's just generally not a lot of relationship developing anymore or proper supporting casts. So basically all the old stuff was cut away and not replaced because world building just doesn't happen like that.
>>
>>83129302
They're desperate
>>
File: image.jpg (424 KB, 737x920) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
424 KB, 737x920
>>83128615
I guess we're not far off from this.
>>
>>83129302
Johns has been in on the hypercrisis with Morrison for a while now. He'll probably buy Geoff a nice dinner for specifically using Watchmen in this because it will piss off Moore.
>>
>>83128431
It feels like they just started yesterday and the damn book is already here. The passage of time horrifies me.
>>
File: Watchmex_cogs.jpg (46 KB, 447x600) Image search: [Google]
Watchmex_cogs.jpg
46 KB, 447x600
>>83129406

/co/ called it in 09
>>
>>83129317
I want to read the issue just to found out how mad he is. If I can tell if it's because of DC editorial and Zack Snyder.
>>
>>83129193
>Believing the street level watchmen characters will be introduced into the new 52
>Believing anyone will fight Manhattan
>Believing Johns is directly responsible for the new 52, only to contradict himself and blame editorial mandates a few paragraphs later on.
>STILL missing the point of the watchmen metaphore (Bonus point for "MUH SACRED COW" and acting as if an in universe explanation for what happened is somehow bad)

This is kind of a shit review
>>
>>83129520
both probably
>>
>>83128891
The editorial situation HAS improved though. Doyle's much better than Marks, there hasn't been an angry creative quit since Robinson, the mere fact that Rucka's back, etc.

Berganza needs to go though.
>>
>>83129530
Graphic Policy went to shit long ago.
The lesson is don't take comic book reviews especially from bigger websites and jewtubers seriously.
>>
>>83129575
Andy Khouri has a solid record so far, too.
>>
>>83129520
Seems like both. Snyder's Watchmen movie also led to WB wanting more superhero movies, and of course the new 52 has a lot of seeded stuff that feels like they were setting things up to be adapted.
>>
>>83129618

honestly don't take reviews of single issue big 2 stuff seriously

ever?
>>
>>83129643
Do we know what he's doing in Rebirth?
>>
File: CjRiJ_1XIAAL_D2.jpg large.jpg (140 KB, 720x557) Image search: [Google]
CjRiJ_1XIAAL_D2.jpg large.jpg
140 KB, 720x557
Geoff just tweeted this. Low quality, but it's all I got.

>Nu52 Shazam family in upper right hand corner

Hopefully this means something.
>>
>>83129694

Suicide Squad and Green Arrow at least I think.
>>
>>83129709
See >>83129341
>>
>>83129367
I can live with that, because Morrison might go for some weird edgy shit but more often than not his stories go for bittersweet or uplifting tones. Where-as just about everything Moore did for DC was "let's see how we can make these characters as miserable as possible."
>>
File: Capture.png (586 KB, 757x683) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
586 KB, 757x683
BASED PIZZA LORD
>>
>>83129530
Well, can you please explain the metaphor? I don't understand what it's for.
>>
>>83129752
he's such a nice man, you know DC has some unpaid intern that could do it for him
>>
>>83129752

and Snyder.

bless em they're trying
>>
I'm thinking of just going for broke and trying out all the new series, and dropping whichever ones suck.

Also hoping that Teen Titans gets better, and that Beast Boy and Raven get back together because I'm a self-loathing shipper
>>
>>83129773
He blames the general misinterpretation of Watchmen for the lack of hope in the DC Universe, rather than blaming Moore himself.
>>
>>83129752
>Slices of pizza
>Not bowls of cereal
NOT MUH CEREAL KING
>>
File: ashiaga0n.png (98 KB, 602x620) Image search: [Google]
ashiaga0n.png
98 KB, 602x620
>>83129752
>52 get
/co/. I think it's happening.
>>
File: attention getter.jpg (58 KB, 335x516) Image search: [Google]
attention getter.jpg
58 KB, 335x516
>>83129752
>Johns
>pizza
>52
>>
>>83129821
I did that for Nu52, read the first arc of everything...ended up liking about...six series?
It's not hard if you just check out storytimes.
>>
File: 1427765430065.jpg (43 KB, 307x364) Image search: [Google]
1427765430065.jpg
43 KB, 307x364
>>83129852
>52 again

m8 pls
>>
File: 440.jpg (8 KB, 208x199) Image search: [Google]
440.jpg
8 KB, 208x199
>>83129852

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
>>
>>83129800
They did this at the new 52 launch too
http://comicsalliance.com/geoff-johns-and-jim-lee-launch-dcs-new-52-at-midtown-comics-in/

>Scott got pizza then
>Scott's handing pizza out now

The cycle is now complete
>>
>>83129752
>free pizza
>refunding copies of DC Rebirth Special

I have a feeling that Geoff made bank working on BvS/SS/WW and now has no idea what to do with the money other than giving it back out.
>>
>>83129914
it's the circle of pizza
>>
>>83129823
I would buy that misinterpretation theory if say a powerful character fucked with Earth 0 after viewing Watchmen's earth.
>>
>>83128855
Remember this article and the author's name when he's shilling the Marvel Universe/Star Wars crossover in 3 years.
>>
File: anarchy-low.gif (981 KB, 450x253) Image search: [Google]
anarchy-low.gif
981 KB, 450x253
>>83129900
>>83129905
Fuck me I didn't even notice.
>>
>>83129918
>yfw Johns also spends the money buying dogs and taking care of them until they inevitably die

;_;
>>
>>83129964

I'm firmly convinced that Batman vs. Superman broken something because we've been getting some crazy-ass coincidences, 52 gets and other announcements that seem to have developed from sigils from these threads.
>>
>>83129994
We've always gotten crazy gets in hypercrisis threads
>>
>>83129952
Doesn't Manhattan fit in that role? A powerful character who watches the watchmen (heh) universe. Shaping the dc universe because of the events of his own jaded earth.
>>
>>83129888
I was pretty out of comics when New 52 started, and admittedly a bit butthurt that everything I had been reading from DC wasn't going to matter anymore. I'm just going with the flow now, and have been burning through comics like crazy lately, so might as well go for it.

Helps that the Rebirth stuff seems pretty exciting in general to me.
>>
>>83130036

Yeah but then we started getting 52's turning up in news stories about the movie.
>>
>>83129194
They just don't want to see it that way. Johns literally said he respects Watchmen a lot.
>>
>>83130099

The New 52 was actually my first foray into following comics on a weekly basis, before that point I only was reading trades and OGNs.
>>
>>83130115
>>83129994
>/co/ is actually the sequel to The Number 23
>The Number 52
>>
I just looked at OP

>>83128352
>>
>>83130174

Apophenia is a necessary part of the Hypercrisis engine.
>>
>>83130059
But Manhattan was detached, lost, solitary. Yes, he viewed what was happening in the world, but he wasn't reading a story, like we were. We were seeing Manhattan's, and he got his character arc where he found new hope and reasons to do new things.

If Rebirth is supposed to act against the "cynicism" in the New 52, and it's revealed that Manhattan caused it, but Watchmen's Manhattan was never "cynical" at all.
>>
ghetto storytime when?
>>
>>83129964
I still don't.
>>
>>83129302
If you go back in time five years and look at all the confusing bullshit they said when the Nu52 started, like "The Justice League members have only been around for 5 years...but all 4 Robins still existed," "Some stories still happened, some stories didn't and we're not telling which, you'll just have to figure it out as we go". etc....

Bits and pieces of everyone's life that adds up to ten years has literally been swiss cheese'd out of everyone's personal history is exactly what that describes.

They're just blaming it on a character on their side of the fourth wall, so they can tell a story about it.
>>
>>83130273
scanning 80 pages will probably take so long that the digital version will appear on comixology before you finish
>>
>>83130248
But what Manhattan's "experimenting" did to the DCU was rob it of people's friends, family members, and romances.

He made them more detached and solitary.
>>
>>83129994
there's been some intense sigiling going on on this board in general
>>
File: 1410923875901.png (103 KB, 745x1173) Image search: [Google]
1410923875901.png
103 KB, 745x1173
>Planning on watching Johns on Seth Meyer's show
>End up watching Jimmy Fallon in the meantime
Dear god how can one man be so unfunny, and why didn't I just watch something good while I waited?
>>
>>83130416

There's no other explanation for a Dogwelder and Six-Pack: Hard Travelling Heroes series.
>>
>>83130472

i really wanna see the whole issue for more sigil marks
>>
>>83130420

I was just about to post that, holy shit that was a painful set.
>>
>>83130413
But by the end, he wasn't anymore.
>>
>>83130420
I miss Craig Ferguson.
>>
>>83130174
>>83130231
>As with most numerological claims, the 23 enigma can be viewed as an example of apophenia, selection bias, and confirmation bias. In interviews, Wilson acknowledged the self-fulfilling nature of the 23 enigma, implying that the real value of the Law of Fives and the 23 enigma is in their demonstration of the mind's ability to perceive "truth" in nearly anything.

>When you start looking for something you tend to find it. This wouldn't be like Simon Newcomb, the great astronomer, who wrote a mathematical proof that heavier than air flight was impossible and published it a day before the Wright brothers took off. I'm talking about people who found a pattern in nature and wrote several scientific articles and got it accepted by a large part of the scientific community before it was generally agreed that there was no such pattern, it was all just selective perception."[5]

>In the Illuminatus! Trilogy, Wilson expresses the same view, saying that one can find numerological significance in anything, provided that one has "sufficient cleverness."
>>
>>83130548
The dude literally left Earth to make dollies to play with because he was bored of everyone's bullshit.
>>
>>83130508
The worst part is my station keeps playing commercials for a local car dealership, where the guy is doing some sort of terrible Godfather impression. It's like if Brando was both retarded and legitimately brain damaged.
>>
>>83128721
>>83128756
4 paragraphs in and he is a massive faggot, he also failed to get into the material, great.

>>83128793
More FAGGOTRY and White guilt.

>>83128855
Is he a marvel shill?

>>83128891
>>83128935
More slander.

>>83129064
Finally he talks about the comic

>>83129119
>>83129193
I agree with him just there, Grayson was a great ride. I should had sticked.

>Lack of originality
Don't forget to pick up CIVIL WAR II Folks.
>>
>>83128352
This seems like a big fuck you to Alan Moore. As if the worthless and unnecessary Before Watchmen shit wasn't enough. They're just trying to capitalize on Watchmen's fame and success three decades after because they don't have a single fucking original idea going for them.

I think I'm going to keep away from DC for a while until they get their heads out of their asses.
>>
>>83130731
k
>>
>>83130731
Did anyone fucking liked Snyder Watchmen? I do not get why it is popular, I know the number of people who actually read Watchmen are about 5 million and many of them don't actually read DC nowadays. Given Blue Pingas created Za warudo (pardon my memes) I thought this was a Morrisonesque way to say, that the Rebirth verse was created with the 80's imprint theme in mind which is like Geoff flatout favorite era of comics.

A balance of Dark and Light, plus some of the most fundamental stories for DC and Marvel. It was the last time anyone had seen the real Peter Parker.
>>
File: 45c.png (1 MB, 1080x563) Image search: [Google]
45c.png
1 MB, 1080x563
>>83130731
>>
File: aquawow.png (463 KB, 689x429) Image search: [Google]
aquawow.png
463 KB, 689x429
>>83130731
>>
>>83130731
>This seems like a big fuck you to Alan Moore
You're making it sound like they're deliberately trying to insult him, instead of incidentally.
>>
>>83128891
>marvel fans complaining about editorial

Wew
>>
>>83129024
>uses the TV Tropes definition of "deconstruction"

this opinion now means less than nothing to me.
>>
>>83131046
I don't know how is that an insult when the man has expressed DC can choke on the work he did back on the 80's and thought that was agreeable to him, if anything he must be laughing at how retarded it is that DC keeps milking the same old damn comic, and people are stupid enough to keep buying it. Proves his point really.

These are not stories to incentivate creativty, these are not stories suitable for children, these are not fantastic worlds to open the imagination of the reader, these are not complex stories for young adults. These are shitty, mass produced, corporate mandated filth to fill the tummies of mentally undeveloped, cynical manchildren who should be ASHAMED of themselves for buying into these shameless IP battles between other known tradermark preoperties.

I love Cereal King, but let's not kid ourselves, when he tackles shit like watchmen on his own he seems exactly like a kid trying to emulate a cool guy. He should stick to shonen / animu like stories. His JLA is fucking great but he cannot do complex stories just alone.

I hate Marvel for the last 6 years of God Awful stories they have produced, and I thought DC was on the right foot with DiDio Omac and Dial H, awe and behold, here we are again.

Seriously this is not even funny anymore. It is only entertaining to watch the trainwreck.
>>
File: I dont care.gif (886 KB, 500x250) Image search: [Google]
I dont care.gif
886 KB, 500x250
>>83130731
>>
Based Cereal King will appear on Seth Meyers in 5 or so minutes. How many of you here are watching?

Also if you don't know it's on NBC.
>>
>>83131600
Yo.
>>
I went on a hunt for podcasts that weren't shit, I still have a few to check but the only one I could stand for more then 10 minutes was ifanboy's weekly pick.
That said I listened to four that night and haven't listened to any new ones since.
>>
File: 1317501296031.jpg (26 KB, 207x471) Image search: [Google]
1317501296031.jpg
26 KB, 207x471
>>83131705

I'd pimp out the one that I'm a commentator on, but it's also shit.
>>
>>83131309
>His JLA is fucking great

No it's fucking not don't lie.
>>
>>83131705
Listen to SKTCH and Word Balloon.
>>
>>83131600
Yo.
I've actually come to appreciate Meyers, his interviews are a lot more off the cuff than any of the other guys. Can't stand Fallon interviews but his games are usually fun. James Corden however I completely hate. His skits are cringeworthy, and his interviews are painfully forced.
>>
He's on, guys.
>>
>at least it's not meth

Geoff pls
>>
>geoff got grounded from comics
Bless his soul.
>>
>share the love

Y'all should be ashamed of yourselves, disappointing Johns like that
>>
File: 1418678533721.jpg (13 KB, 418x299) Image search: [Google]
1418678533721.jpg
13 KB, 418x299
>looking at pictures of his dogs

awwwwwwwwwwwwwww
>>
File: the negro of approval.jpg (36 KB, 530x482) Image search: [Google]
the negro of approval.jpg
36 KB, 530x482
Aw, Geoff's really come out of his shell. So proud of him.
>>
>>83128352
Reminder that the writers misunderstand watchmen metaphore works better if you have somebody from outside both universes behind it all.
>>
File: 1462849116021.jpg (36 KB, 420x418) Image search: [Google]
1462849116021.jpg
36 KB, 420x418
>>83130731
>reads superhero comics
>wants artistic integrity
>>
GEOFF IS CUTE

CUTE
>>
>>83130420
Jimmy Fallon has somehow gotten a 20 year career on NBC as a comedic performer despite being funny like, once a year.
>>
BY THE POWER OF GRAYSKULL
>>
Why is Johns so cute, /co/?
>>
>>83132023
That said as much as I think there going about this the wrong way (trying to explain retcons at all is the wrong way) I like most of the tone and editorial changes they are promoting.
Expect for the superman retardation on several levels
>>
>>83132103
Superbooks are a mess. Only thing I'm touching there is New Super-Man and maybe Superwoman.
>>
>Dog named Chunk

>Because of Goonies, not Wally's Black Friend.

I would be irritated, if Johns didn't used to be Richard Donner's personal assistant and occasional partner in writing Superman.
>>
>>83132080
He's so innocent. So pure and happy. He's loved these characters his whole life, and look where he is now.

Goddamn, I just want to hug him and never let go.
>>
>>83132147
He might be the only writer after WML who mentioned Chunk anyway so I can't fault him
>>
Geoff is my creator husbando.
>>
>>83131909
He has to fix DC Films after the BvS fiasco
>>
>>83132203
Him and King
>>
>>83132243
No, he was telling a story about how his parents grounded him from reading comics as a kid.

So in response he became the CCO of DC Comics.

A man after my own heart.
>>
I'm surprised they didn't talk about Powerless. It is NBC after all.
>>
>>83131789
...I like how stupid it is unironically. It is the shonen animu bullshit I love, with some really good character interactions.

FUN & JOY are not entirely lost in me.
>>
>>83132294
Thanks tripfag
>>
>>83132403
y-you too...
>>
>>83132176
Waid showed Chunk a couple times.
>>
So Graphic Policy had a positive review of Rebirth in addition to that travesty posted above:

>This is it, the moment that’s been building for months now, the beginning of the next evolution of the DC Universe. Written by Geoff Johns with art by Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Gary Frank, and Phil Jimenez, DC Universe: Rebirth #1 feels like a condensed walk through DC Comics’ history touching upon important moments that have gotten us to this moment.
>Treating the New 52 in a way as much of a different world as Flashpoint, this 80 page comic runs us through the important things we need to know and the key characters that will set DC in a new direction. What Johns does very well is not just blend the old with the new, but even lays new ground within. It is revealed a legacy character is bisexual or gay (we don’t know for sure yet), we’re introduced to new characters, we witness the death of old characters, and we get the return of a classic character. It’s done in a way that only comic books can do with an almost over the top convoluted narrative that feels like it’s stretching things at times, but still somehow pulls it off.
>But, what I think Johns does is bring back something that’s interesting and has been missing not just from DC, but from a lot of comics (their competitors included), fun and hope. Right in the text, the issue sets up a battle between light and dark, hope and despair, and the final page spread featuring DC’s titans there’s something present… a smile on their faces. From those small things, it looks like Johns is setting things upon a positive direction.
>>
>>83132557
>Leading up to this, I had worried that Johns would jettison some of the good that DCYou and the New 52 brought us. Instead, Johns looks to be blending it all together, new, old, and the future. There’s some hints and moments in this comic that even brings in characters one might not have expected into the fray, making some things recently released even more intriguing to go back over. I won’t spoil it, because finding out yourself is part of the fun.

>The art in the issue is fascinating as it blends the eras of DC’s history well. With such a varied group of creators you might worry that things wouldn’t click and it’d all feel disjointed and choppy. But it works, and works quite well where we even see different styles on the same page. It isn’t all perfect, but it’s fun in many ways and there are some fantastic panels and pages where you can feel the energy crackling off of the page.

>I went in with complete skepticism as to what we’d see, and after reading the issue I have hope. You can tell Johns has an understanding of all of DC’s history and has a plan to blend it all together so it works as one long narrative while we head in to what’s to come. This rests on his shoulders, and if this is any indication, I wouldn’t have it any way. I was worried that the new DC universe would pander to the vocal gate keeping fans. That doesn’t seem to be the case. While they may enjoy the issue more, as they’ll know more of the rich history, Johns catches up new readers with everything they need, all in one issue.

>It looks like Rebirth is going to be more than just the rebirth of DC’s legacy, but also a rebirth of hope and fun in comics.

>Story: Geoff Johns Art: Ethan Van Sciver, Ivan Reis, Gary Frank, and Phil Jimenez
>Story: 8.95 Art: 8.35 Overall: 8.65 >Recommendation: Buy
>>
>>83132579
Seeing this review (which by its lenghts indicates that the reviewer doesn't like to hear himself talk as much as the other one) I realize that these are evaluated over 10. Why the fuck would the other guy give the art a 5 if he plans to even have a bit of credibility? Even if the story was bad there's no fucking way that the art merits such a low mark.
>>
So comixology in like an hour???
>>
>>83132557
That positive review is written by Brett Schenker and the negative one is by some Ryan who goes by the nickname Trash Film Guru.

captcha: current year - 100
>>
File: 1426815802958.jpg (17 KB, 228x317) Image search: [Google]
1426815802958.jpg
17 KB, 228x317
>>83132715
Sometimes the rips are up a little earlier. Wait for the Win O Thread.
>>
>>83128352
>>83129752
>>83129852
>>83129952
>>83130352
>all these 52 gets
>>
Up on my comixolgy app
>>
DC Universe - Rebirth 001 (2016) (digital) (Oroboros-DCP)
http://www107.zippyshare.com/v/yUhfO20n/file.html
>>
>>83130832
I liked it when it came out, but then I grew up.
>>
>>
it was good
>>
>>83128793
>Aquaman and Mera are back together.
They were never split for all the issues of Aquaman, and Bunn's run was a fakeout from the start, however tasteless it was. The guy's making criticism based on things he's assuming happened and making assumptions on what is important to others.
>>
>>83128855
I still personally don't get the dislike for nu52 dupes, at least as a character. You can dislike the changes to the world around him, but Morrion and Pak in particular were really great, including Pak's contributions to Truth.
>>
>>83128891
>>Sure, the overall tone of the books was “darker” and “more somber” — and yes, our heroes are finally fucking smiling again

I really don't know which New52 were they reading.
>>
>>83137665
You missed all SUPERMAN IS EDGELORD complains?
>>
>>83128352

I loved it. The ass blasted Moorefags are hilarious
>>
>>83137735
Yeah but those didn't make sense either.
Even Batman wasn't more dark than the usual
>>
>>83137837
Yeah, I know. It's just people were parroting NEW 52 IS GRIMDARK for so long it's crazy. Especially Superman, no idea why. People act like he was Ultraman hopped on Injustice.
Only edgy Batman moment was Joker's face. The fuck were they thinking. And Simone's Babsgirl, I guess? I didn't read it but anons said it's edgy as fuck.
>>
File: sokswkowj.jpg (205 KB, 843x512) Image search: [Google]
sokswkowj.jpg
205 KB, 843x512
>>83130696
>>83128858
>>83129954
>>83131142

The same guy wrote a negative review for the new Black Panther, take your company wars and shove them up your collective ass, Christ
Thread replies: 176
Thread images: 25

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.