[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Quotes that provoke thought and discussion.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 19
File: 1413670304971.jpg (300 KB, 1200x1650) Image search: [Google]
1413670304971.jpg
300 KB, 1200x1650
ITT: Quotes that provoke thought and discussion.
>>
File: 1462736313893.jpg (260 KB, 1024x1601) Image search: [Google]
1462736313893.jpg
260 KB, 1024x1601
>>
File: CiPJy_LUgAE1BFo.jpg (210 KB, 1024x1365) Image search: [Google]
CiPJy_LUgAE1BFo.jpg
210 KB, 1024x1365
>>
>>
>>
>>83114805
Naaah. If you don't vote, you forfeit your right to bitch about the government, simple as that. And the part with half the people having voted for someone that didn't win only applies in "first past the post" type systems.
>>
File: 1wild-and-primitive.jpg (378 KB, 819x819) Image search: [Google]
1wild-and-primitive.jpg
378 KB, 819x819
>>
>>83115073
This analogy was always dumb. Cars, pencils, spoons, and fat chicks all have multiple everyday uses that can be used poorly but guns were invented exclusively to kill have no other purpose outside of killing, hunting, and sport.
>>
File: rRdYKEc.jpg (259 KB, 1440x1960) Image search: [Google]
rRdYKEc.jpg
259 KB, 1440x1960
>>
>>83114805

I agree democracy is shit tier when the electorate are a bunch of stone brained mongoloids, but it's better than having your entire existence dictated by a single or group of individuals that dont give two shits about you.
>>
>>83114805
Jokes on you, vote is obligatory on Brazil!

BRBRBR HUHEHUHEUEHUE
>>
File: the dream.jpg (136 KB, 418x404) Image search: [Google]
the dream.jpg
136 KB, 418x404
>>83114856
Bollocks.
>>
File: blackbeard.jpg (98 KB, 453x478) Image search: [Google]
blackbeard.jpg
98 KB, 453x478
>>
File: 5Z1Tv7J.jpg (32 KB, 511x585) Image search: [Google]
5Z1Tv7J.jpg
32 KB, 511x585
>>
File: garth ennis supes.jpg (122 KB, 580x878) Image search: [Google]
garth ennis supes.jpg
122 KB, 580x878
>>
>>
File: 6_jokerquotes_1439448854.jpg (51 KB, 652x330) Image search: [Google]
6_jokerquotes_1439448854.jpg
51 KB, 652x330
>>
>>83116710
And what a great government did you elect !
>>
File: pining.png (35 KB, 140x118) Image search: [Google]
pining.png
35 KB, 140x118
>>83116754
Why is Clark so wonderful?
>>
>>83116710

Is there a fine or something if you don't vote?
>>
>>83117302
You had to pay some bucks, if you dont pay you lost some rights. You cant get a job or make a passaport.
>>
>>83115796
>not using your vote that is ultimately pointless dismisses you from having complaints about the system you believe in

Don't kid yourself dude it's fucking 2016. If you think your one individual vote still matters you've got some things to re-think. The electoral college guarentees your individual opinion doesn't matter regardless of if you vote or not. There is 0 reason to vote in America because any and all complaints/critiques/criticisms about governmental function don't actually matter

Now state and local on the other hand is a different story. If you can't even be bothered to vote in state/local elections you're a worthless slug
>>
>>83117423
Are you seriously still bootyblasted about Gore losing in 2000? Or are you just parroting something one of your pinko commie swine professors crammed down your throat while you were off getting that very expensive college education that you'll be paying for the rest of your life?
>>
File: image.jpg (177 KB, 594x594) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
177 KB, 594x594
>>83117521
>I can't rebuttal, better rev up my shitposts and call me an entitled millennial that'll show em xDDD
>>
>>83115073
spoons don't make you fat, but they sure make it easy to eat icecream
>>
>>83117423

Yeah, that's a fucking peasant's mentality. Does one individual vote matter? Probably not, but it's still worth it to make your damn voice heard, whether on state, local, or presidential/senatorial level.
>>
>>83116650
You do understand that Judge Dredd is a fascist, right?

>>83117521
nigga he's talking about state's rights, why in the fuck would he be lefty?

>>83117906
This. People who think their individual voice should be heard above everybody else are authoritarians, not democrats. So what if you don't get to vote the party you want in by fiat? You might as well ask to be king.
>>
>>83116614
There are several sports that use guns like skeet shooting.
>>
>>83117906
If you'd read my whole post instead of reading two lines and being grossly offended you'd see I noted that the exemption doesn't apply to state/local elections.

However, on the federal level, a president was elected twice regardless of losing the popular vote, or even actually winning the electoral college for that matter. So someone was put into "highest" office of this country, that is supposed to be determined by the people/what is a essentialized version of popular opinion, TWICE without meeting either of those criteria
>>
>>83116642
such a shitty excuse
>>
>>83114924
I disagree with this completely. There honestly should be selective breeding programs that bar people with genetic diseases from passing on their corrupted genes to the next generation. If they really want kids they can adopt.

There should also be a test of some kind where the parents demonstrate that they are indeed competent enough to take care of a child. Adoption agencies already screen people who want a kid. It should be no different for people who want a biological child.
>>
>>83118288
Like sickle-cell, right :^)
>>
>>83116650
>having your entire existence dictated by a single or group of individuals that don't give two shits about you
But that describes modern democracy exactly. "liberal" Western governments shed the last remnants of caring about their people in the hyper-capitalist 80s. They care about themselves, they make their money out of legalized corruption in the form of lobbying, send their children to private schools to get PPE degrees and have them follow in their footsteps by who they know and how wealthy they are. Let's not pretend the idea of a "ruling class" ever went away.

>>83118047
>You do understand that Judge Dredd is a fascist, right?
>implying democracy is anything other than fascism with an entertainment circus of media to keep the people believing the system is fair
>>
>>83118195

I did read your whole post, which is why I included the spectrum of the voting process within the entirety; you said 'there is zero reason to vote in America.'

Which is why I said it's a peasant's mentality and it remains so. Simply because you believe there is zero reason to vote doesn't mean you shouldn't, which was the point, on the senatorial or presidential level. Making your voice heard matters, on all levels, not just the state and local level like you said.
>>
>>83117600
Not him but if all you do is bitch and moan about a problem but make absolutely no effort to do anything about it then you're being nothing more than a whiny cry baby who has no right to complain.

Either shut up and accept your lot in life or do something about it even if you might fail. At least then you can say you made an effort.
>>
>>83118449
You're right in that simply because there isn't a reason to vote doesn't mean I shouldn't. It's one of the most defining and essential aspects of our government. If no one voted, shit would probably be worse than it is in terms of private industry influence, though not by much. I'd just really like to see a competent federal gov that learns how to allocate rights and responsibilities to the states and locals that should handle those issues while the fed remains strong and focused on the responsibilities it should have instead of this disgusting hodgepodge of all levels trying to handle things the other two are also trying to take care of.

I suppose my disinterest in federal voting mainly lies in the fact I feel it is worthless, but like you said, that really isn't an excuse, even if in actuality it really doesn't, because placating problems onto bogeymen is good for no one
>>
>>83116614

What the fuck are you using cars, pencils and spoons for except driving, writing and eating? Is your car your home? Are you picking your nose with pencils? Using spoons as drumsticks? If we're being that retarded then I guess I could use a gun to switch my lights off.
>>
>>83118760
Well pretty much the only thing you can do to start change in the fed is vote. Well your vote doesn't matter so that options out. Now let's see you can: start a revolution (good luck), take a saner route and try to persuade public opinion (good luck again), discuss it in a safe space where your opinion is just as worthless as the next guys, or you can just sit quietly and pretend nothing is wrong.

Three out of those four are forms of activism. Two of those three are well outside the reasonable limitations of your average person. I'll let you figure out which one is which. Some could argue voting is a form of activism, which it is for state and local and maybe even senatorial elections, but for presidentials its a throwaway into a massive bucket.
>>
File: Zl0Tz.png (366 KB, 524x272) Image search: [Google]
Zl0Tz.png
366 KB, 524x272
>>
>>83114924
The only thoughts and discussion I remember seeing about this was "why is this writer imitating Bendis?"
>>
>>83118953
Other than taxes, what laws do the feds make that directly affect you personally?

You always have the option of moving, too. Don't like the government? Find one you do like. There's over a hundred to choose from.
>>
>>83119157
>lol just go live in a country you like if yours is shit
Check your oppressed brown person privilege.
>>
>>83119341
If spics can walk a desert to cross a border, anyone can. If you're not willing to take the risk then you are implicitly saying that you'd rather stay in your shit hole than risk leaving it because you're too scared of the unknown.
>>
>>83114924
>Wahh jokes about touchy subjects are bad
Tired of this
>>
>>83119157
Education, health care, public policy revolving around national works projects

I'm sorry I didn't know that being critical of something means I don't like it. I'm not quite sure what your point is aside from you seem hurt that I don't share the same sentiment towards the government as you do, and your bias and personal history with people who you interpret to share my viewpoint is showing super hard man.

America is great Baka desu, but that doesn't mean it couldn't be better. Honesty my biggest issue is the shitty handling of education and health care in America but no body wants to touch those problems because they require serious effort by all aspects of govt and it's much easier to just play party politics and pass symbolic legislation to ensure you stay on that sweet Washington payroll
>>
>>83120452
>I'm sorry I didn't know that being critical of something means I don't like it. I'm not quite sure what your point is aside from you seem hurt that I don't share the same sentiment towards the government as you do, and your bias and personal history with people who you interpret to share my viewpoint is showing super hard man.
Literally none of that is true.
You said voting doesn't matter. That's a hot opinion that edge lords have and I call them out on it when I see it. Going from that to "America is great but with problems" is a completely different argument from your original proclamation, i.e. shifting the goalpost.
If you feel like your vote won't make a difference then don't vote, I don't care. You will, however, forfeit your right to complain about whoever comes into power because you made 0 effort to make a difference.
>>
>>83116713
Captain America is literally the reason I'm becoming more political because of shit like this.

So close to crying right now.
>>
>>83121044
>If you feel like your vote won't make a difference then don't vote, I don't care. You will, however, forfeit your right to complain about whoever comes into power
This is such self righteous, system-fed bullshit which only holds water in proportional representation electoral systems where every vote does count.

If you live in a FPTP system, in an electoral district which never changes hands and one party always commands a clear majority (a "safe seat") there is literally no fucking difference between casting a vote for another candidate and not voting at all. Your vote will not effect change. In order to actually make a difference you'd have to convince a majority of voters to change their minds, just putting a cross on a piece of paper means fuck all.
>>
>>83115796
>>83116710
Not voting is every bit as much a political act as voting.

Source: I work in political analysis and polling. We all 100% understand that what I said above it 100% true and so do the politicians. But they don't want YOU to think that. Because they want the majority of dissatisfied non-voters to not do anything to change the system. Non-voters are the ones they're afraid of. They see repubs and ESPECIALLY dems as sheep. They see non-voters as uncontrollable, which is exactly what they don't want. We even do regular polling on something called "hopelessness", which is the government's term for "how strongly non-voters feel they can't change anything about the reasons why they don't vote". As long as the "hopelessness" factor remains high the government is comfortable. When it gets lower they get scared.
>>
>>83122466
>If you live in a FPTP system, in an electoral district which never changes hands and one party always commands a clear majority
It's probably that way because you and people that think like you don't vote ;)
>>
>>83114805
he's talking about plurality vote though, there are different kinds of voting methods and a democracy is not limited to just plurality method.

Though we in the US use an even shittier system that was only meant for like 50 years and be replaced.
>>
File: original.jpg (303 KB, 650x1045) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
303 KB, 650x1045
>>
File: original.jpg (321 KB, 650x1048) Image search: [Google]
original.jpg
321 KB, 650x1048
>>83126401
>>
File: 1372808013265.png (93 KB, 171x278) Image search: [Google]
1372808013265.png
93 KB, 171x278
>>83114805
>his country doesn't force all its citizens to vote
>>
>>83116614
You're pretty dumb yourself sherlock, the analogy is meant to remind people that at the end of the day a firearm is a tool no different than spoon, car, or pencil. A tool that doesn't operate with a person behind it. No shit its purpose is to kill.

To immediately spout after a tragedy or an accident that 'guns are bad' or 'guns kill people' are shallow generalizations where the individual involved is no longer being held accountable.

Suddenly we live in a world were everyone is the victim and inanimate objects are villains.
>>
>>83126786
>without a person
>>
>>83114805
That's fucking true in my third world country.
>>
>>83114856
Damn he is right but if you do as told then the world will crush you. You will die as a martyr but you will die.
>>
>>83126475
You know, I'm kind of amazed the Judges never made voting mandatory.

It seems like the kind of thing they'd do if they couldn't just outlaw it entirely.
>>
>>83118224
Not an excuse he's trying to say some men strive to build a better future while other are stuck fixing the present
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 19

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.