[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What comic creators do you legitimately like following/hearing
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5
File: deconnick.jpg (42 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
deconnick.jpg
42 KB, 400x400
What comic creators do you legitimately like following/hearing talk/want to interact with on social media and why? Doesnt have to be a cape creator. It can be webcomics, indie, etc too. Someone that seems like a genuinely cool person. Pic not related, just an example.
>>
File: I'm Batman.png (47 KB, 641x404) Image search: [Google]
I'm Batman.png
47 KB, 641x404
Brian Michael Bendis
>>
File: annie wu.jpg (87 KB, 540x540) Image search: [Google]
annie wu.jpg
87 KB, 540x540
>>83082806

annie wu is really fun when she isn't implying that she's suffering severe depression
>>
Scott Snyder, BKV and Capullo seem cool on twitter. I don't mind Kelly Sue either for the most part.

Waid and Slott are really fucking annoying though.
>>
Tom King, Becky Cloonan, Scott Snyder, Nicola Scott. I've found DC writers are usually at least professional, Marvel's are obnoxious, varies with indies, but pretty much all artists and colorists are chill as hell regardless.
>>
File: NYCC-2014-Kieron-Gillen.jpg (554 KB, 1167x1778) Image search: [Google]
NYCC-2014-Kieron-Gillen.jpg
554 KB, 1167x1778
Love this man. His stuff works for me, which is good enough.
>>
>>83082806
Their house is really cool. The wall where they have their artist friends leave a drawing on is super nifty.
>>
>>83082806
Deconnick and Fraction seem like interesting people to be around. They look like they eat interesting food, go on cool vacations, and have unique but manageable children. I don't know, I feel like I would learn something about life by being around their family.
>>
Steve Lieber is an ultimate bro. There's a few other artists and writers that are good about responding to people who send them Tweets and whatnot.
>>
Matt Fraction is cool when he's not trying too hard. I think his kids are adorable.

Gillen has been a fanboy of so many things mediums for so long that he has a really good record for answering even the simplest of fan questions with full sentences and in a way shows his attention to detail when it comes to storytelling.
That being said he's also really cheesy with his puns and shit britbong humor.

Ming Doyle a qt that I love to hear talk.

I'd have a beer with Al Ewings nerdy ass, and have him take me on a tour of New York pointing out the real world equivalent of famous Marvel landmarks and shit.
>>
>>83083026
Yeah, Annie is hilarious, but I wish someone would check on her from time to time.
>>
Brandon Graham, Giannis Milonogiannis.
>>
>>83082806
Scott Snyder's twitter is a third being a dad and another third gushing about comics, and a third answering questions about comics. so he's okay in my book
And Hickman's is hilarious
>>
Greg Rucka
Tom King
Scott Snyder
>>
>>83083806
>Matt Fraction is cool when he's not trying too hard
This. I enjoy Sex Crims and even it's silly humor but with the latest issue it just felt so over the top and forced.
>>
File: image.jpg (49 KB, 784x784) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
49 KB, 784x784
Steve pugh is the GOAT
>>
>>83083531
They're unique but they don't come off as lol so random if that makes any sense. I do like their posts about sobriety and it is cool to see where they are now.
>>
imonnen and his wife seem cool
>>
>>83084092
Exactly.
>>
>>83083806
>>83084047

Fraction and Deconnick only have like 2 Image comics each going on right now

How the hell do comic writers make money like that and have a stable living?

I understand how others have exclusive contracts and how some also are editors like Geoff Johns but these two and others like them, I just don't understand

Do they moonlight and edit too or work at Coffeebean sometimes?
>>
>>83084472
Fraction and Deconnick own their own studio or something.
>>
Brandon Graham
Ed Piskor
Michel Fiffe
John Bryne Says
>>
>>83084472
>Fraction and Deconnick only have like 2 Image comics each going on right now
>How the hell do comic writers make money like that and have a stable living?

Fraction and DeConnick were signed to an exclusive two-year development deal with Universal Pictures' TV subsidiary last year. I imagine they got paid with a fairly hefty advance. It probably also explains why they've been somewhat less active on the comics front in recent months.
>>
>>83084472
it depends. if your image comics sells big like a mark millar comic, you can afford to never write for big two again because most or all of the money made from sales goes to the creators, albeit checks come in 3 months after sales are completed something like that so its a big risk and a gamble

marvel and DC do page rates, varying depending on the job you have. apparently writers are valued the most by the big two if rob liefeld is to be believed. making about $150-200 per page. pencillers vary drastically, some making as low as $50 per page but if they're popular and in demand they can essentially market themselves for up to like $300 per page. Another thing is artists can also make money off comissions and artwork selling for ridiculous prices, like $2000 for a single page or something

apparently from what I remember letterers make jack shit at like $25 a page.
>>
>>83083647
Steve Lieber also posts continually interesting material about making comics and drawing
>>
>>83085659
I guess in a sense this is why artists find image a more appealing deal after years of working in capes because they get to express their own ideas more and also get paid better to draw what they like
>>
>>83085659
>>83085760

Meanwhile Millar is offering $10,000 an issue for Hit Girl
>>
Kelly Sue and Fraction
Kieron Gillen
Brandon Graham
Joe Keatinge
James Stokoe (even though he doesn't do social media, maybe ask his wife?)
Giannis Milonogiannis
Corey Lewis
Emily Carroll
Simon Roy
Becky Cloonan
Immonens
Meredith Gran
Mad Rupert
Ben Sears
Liz Suburbia
Lamar Abrams
Shawn Crystal

People are interesting, yo.
>>
>>83084472
Images profit margins are pretty great for popular writers. That's why the incentive to work for Marvel or DC until you gain notoriety then make the Image jump is so salivating for writers today.
I wouldn't be surprised if they're each bringing home six figures a year between their 4 books, not to mention con appearances and trade sales.
>>
I don't know about "following" but Warren Ellis' weekly newsletter is pretty good sometimes.
>>
>>83085564
They both have a third Image comic coming soon. Fractioin is working with Terry Dodson and KSD is working with Bill Sienkiewicz
>>
>>83082806
I find most of them obnoxious. Fraction and especially Deconnick are insufferable as people. Gillen is really dumb. Slott and Waid are pure cancer. Spurrier talks too much and it's mostly nonsense. Stewart is annoying. Zdarsky is a living meme. Shalvey is annoying.
>>
>>83082806
I follow Steve Niles on tumblr. He often just posts stills from old horror movies, pages from old horror comics, and pictures of his pet tortoise.

I also follow a few other comics and manga artists on tumblr, mostly to keep updated on behind-the-scenes art process stuff (I'm a process junkie). Victor Santos is a pretty good follow if you're into that sort of stuff, as he'll sometimes post movie scenes that influenced how he composed a certain page or panel, followed by the page's pencils, and then the final inks.
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.