[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
JTHM
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8
What JTHM line stuck out most to you?
>>
>Oh my god. Someone put shit in my pants!
I laughed so hard the first time I read that.
>>
File: LKlHBpO.jpg (401 KB, 1163x800) Image search: [Google]
LKlHBpO.jpg
401 KB, 1163x800
>>
Does this look like heaven?
>>
I've pretty much blocked all of it from memory as I can't associate it with anything but late 90s/early 00s mallgoth culture that I hate so much and regret being a part of
>>
>JTHM
I remember looking this up after invader zim got canned, but i couldn't read it at all. Every panel felt incredibly cringeworthy and i didn't make it though the first 4 or 5 pages.
Hell even the image you posted is making me cringe a bit inside.
>>
>>83069797
It is litterally mocking that the whole way through it.
>>
I didn't even like it as an edgy kid, I'm not sure why I forced myself to read it all. Probably because I liked Zim so much.
>>
>>83069800
I get that a little too, even though, I read the whole thing, and loved it anyway
>>
>>83069870
It is mocking it but simultaneously a part of it, in a way that's the most interesting thing about it...it's from the perspective of someone who hates a subculture meanwhile represents everything that subculture is to begin with, 90% of the fans of this comic were goth kids and each one of them felt like "the one" who understood it and was above the other ones meanwhile were the same as everyone else, just like the character in the book

Subcultures are stupid
>>
>>83069888
I loved it as an edgykid because it mocked itself and the subject matter, but sometimes I feel a little cringey at the teen angst shit
>>
>>83069758
>>83069726
I always wondered how freaked out you could make a hobo by taking his pants off while he's passed out, shitting in them, and then putting them back on.

>how did I shit in my pants and not my underwear
>>
>>83069951
haha, was never a goth kid, so I wouldn't know, but i would bet you are right. I think maybe that's why I liked it, it was moking something I wasn't invested in but understood
>>
>>83069951
>subcultures are stupid
What the hell are we? Do you forget that publicly, most people over 21 only acknowledge comics and cartoons as child play?
>>
>>83070014
Someone call pranks in the hood
>>
>>83070057
In the 60's, sure.
>>
>>83070057
I think "geek culture" for some is a subculture, but that isn't true by default. Neither is it for music subcultures, you can listen to a type of music without it consuming you and having some constant need to feel like you're part of a scene and be involved in some hierarchy of who's who....you can love something without it utterly defining who you are, who you associate with, and what you do
>>
>>83069800
just remebered. yeah the first book wasn't that great to my recollection, the story only really came in the later ones, i can see how the first 5 pages or so would put you off. I don't know, maybe it's the cruel hand of nostalgia clouding my judgement
>>
>>83070170
Very true. Although subculture is a pretty loose term. Subculture = "a cultural group within a larger culture, often having beliefs or interests at variance with those of the larger culture" another definition went further saying behaviour as well. So where would one draw the line that marks a subculture?
>>
>>83070621
I think when it becomes self aware. Having a casual conversation with someone over a mutual interest could be defined as a subculture technically, but it's only explicitly that when the people are self aware and actively trying to make it a culture/acknowledging that it is one, that it's some sort of lifestyle or scene

So, for example if at any point you say "this is so punk" "this is so goth" "this is so metal", etc etc that's a good example of the tipping point
>>
I liked the bit about Mmy or whatever, the guy who wanted to be just like Johnny

It was really blunt in its critique, but you know it felt great for Vasquez to be able to mock his own fanbase so viciously
>>
>>83069465
Im mall goth and love this shit, whats so bad about that?
>>
>>83069465
none. this was complete mindless trash
>>
The one where the girl lays into Nny after he calls her and tells him how much he sucks.
>>
>>83071276
>>83070208
>>83069977
>>83069951
>>83069888
>>83069800
Fucking die you shittaste retards, this comics godtier
>>
>>83071365
We can't stay 13 years old forever, Anon.
>>
>>83071409
But im 20....
>>
>>83070703
I believe you've cracked the case, its the point at which a group surrounding an interest developes an identity as a collective. Would there be a difference between a community and a subculture? I would say so, maybe because a community may share an interest or whatever, but not much else, but a subculture share a belief/behaviour pattern/system attached to the interest, identity, or whatever. I've been thinking of examples for about half an hour, and I've only now realised, we, as humans, make almost everything into a god damn identity statement. From fucking coffee drinking to hiking. WTF is our problem? are we really that lost in ourselves that a beverage choice can become an identity in order to bond with other people or fewl superior? Just think of the typical 'hipster coffee drinker' scene that turns a drink into a statement about yourself, and creates an us/them mentality like 'I only drink starbucks grande mocha choca latino late, look at you plebs drinking flat whites from McDonald's probably'. Do you think this phenomenon is a remnant of tribalism?
>>
>>83071523
I'm 39. I was your age when I first read it. No real point to this post, other than to tell you about the time I went to the LCS with an onion on my belt. Also, I still like JTHM to this day.
>>
Its one of my favorite stories and got me into comics its really good and alot of cool stuff hapens like the bleeding wall and his trip thru heaven and hell i never understood the hate but then again i was never goth or anything i mean i do get that the dialog is cringe but not all of it and its more funny then cringe
>>
>>83071262
I never said anything about mall goth apart from that i was never a part of it?
>>
>>83071228
hahah, I love how he adressed those that ride his dick about, and identified with, nny's philosophies
>>
>>83071645
That is exactly how I feel
>>
I always liked the last page. Johnny knows he's a monster, but he's still trying to improve in his own way.
>>
File: 1463438615727.jpg (51 KB, 480x410) Image search: [Google]
1463438615727.jpg
51 KB, 480x410
>>83071557
Yes, that's exactly what it is. Tribalism never really went away it just adapted to new environments
>>
>>83072031
What a ride that was... and the 2 spin offs
>>
>>83072823
Holy shit that was an unexpected ride
>>
>>83069465
I was an big angry black dude and JTHM helped me make it though High School with out going critical mass and wrecking a bunch of people.
>>
>>83073101
That's great that it helped you. I found alot of catharsis in it
>>
>Wacky.
>>
File: RCO015.jpg (465 KB, 1172x921) Image search: [Google]
RCO015.jpg
465 KB, 1172x921
>>83074394
>>
>>83075285
that last panel is why i still respect johnen vasquez.
he always knows how to keep a sense of humor about it, on some level there is some acknoledgement that he is making a fuss over something little but he still gets the cathartic feeling of venting out. and in the end he didnt want any attention, he just wanted to enjoy some tacos
>>
>>83069800
Really? I liked it better than Zim because JTHM was satire and commentary that made fun of goth culture tryhard shit beneath the edgyness while Zim was just LOLSORANDOM even though Zim had its good moments.
>>
File: j03.jpg (43 KB, 293x348) Image search: [Google]
j03.jpg
43 KB, 293x348
>>83069465
Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.