[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just read the first issue for this and I'm left wondering
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: Contest of Champions 001-000.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Contest of Champions 001-000.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
I just read the first issue for this and I'm left wondering what's the difference between Lobdell and Ewing? You guys give Lobdell shit for spamming caption boxes, yet Ewing does the same but you guys jack off to him.
>>
File: Contest of Champions 002-002.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
Contest of Champions 002-002.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>83063690
And just look at this. First page of the second issue. I guess I'll give his other two books a try before slogging through this
>>
>>83063690
The difference is that Ewing is actually a good writer. Lobdell hasn't written anything remotely good since Generation X.
>>
>>83063690
Hey so is this any good? Also is it canon or is it just an adaption of that mobile game?
>>
>>83063872
yes it's good and yes it's canon
>>
>>83063732
But on what basis. He's making the same mistakes I hear people criticise Lobdell for. And I personally find them both to be entirely mediocre so far. I eventually stopped reading Lobdell books, but I'll see how long I can stick around with Ewing. I'm only giving him a chance due to his reputation and praise he seems to be getting so far.

>>83063872
Honestly, I found the first issue mediocre and tedious to read. I can't comment on the whole series (yet) just that first issue. Besides, you may end up feeling differently as I seem to be in the minority of not liking Ewing's work so far.
>>
Ewing is a discount Gillen
>>
>>83063725
a 3rd grader could tell the difference in literary quality between Ewing's and Lobdell's textboxes

the difference is Lobdell's text boxes narrate what is happening on the page as it happens, with little extra flavor

Ewing's are describing things that cannot be conveyed through the comic book medium, and providing greater detail for the character's thoughts and feelings, while also providing background information because not everyone has followed Ares as a character
>>
I don't think Ewing is that good
And caption boxes aren't necessarily bad but if used for no reason they take away from the art
If they're actually filled with ideas that can't be expressed visually it isn't a flaw
>>
>>83063946
>find them both to be entirely mediocre so far

Yeah same with /co/'s other big flavors of the month Tom King and Tim Seeley.

The talent pool at DC/Marvel right now is really poor imo
>>
>>83064148
>Tom King
Who're good writers then?
>>
>>83064210
John Arcudi is probably the best writer right now who doesn't also draw his own stuff, really love his work on various Mignola titles

Joshua Dysart is also great, Valiant just needs better artists
>>
>>83063690
pretty much, I've been calling Ewing out for being shit (or at the very least mediocre) for years while everyone on /co/ rides his fucking dick.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.