[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Dan Didio the cancer killing DC Comics? http://www.savag
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 5
File: Making DC Great Again.jpg (51 KB, 529x533) Image search: [Google]
Making DC Great Again.jpg
51 KB, 529x533
Is Dan Didio the cancer killing DC Comics?

http://www.savagecritic.com/retailing/the-case-against-dan-didio/

(Stolen off Plebbit)

This thing is fucking long I'm not gonna green text it

tldr;
Dan Didio Sucks and He's Making DC Comics Suck
>>
>>83059642
>Is Dan Didio the cancer killing DC Comics?

Yes, but watch /co/ defend him anyway.
>>
he keeps my favorite books alive so I don't mind him
>>
File: mouseshill.png (7 KB, 201x251) Image search: [Google]
mouseshill.png
7 KB, 201x251
sweet more DC hate, just what we needed.
>>
>>83059642
oh look. another faggot parroting the "countdown was 52 done right" without context meme.

If you're going to do a hit piece it's better to use the words of the guy you're attacking. Not just build arguments around him and cherry pick source material.
>>
>>83060286
What's the actual context to Countdown thing. I need link.
>>
>>83060476
it had better Editorial Control than 52. Then again, me shitting on a toilet has better editorial control than 52. You can read during the interview segments of the 52 Trades about how a mess it was behind the scenes, the fact it did that good was a surprise miracle.
>>
>>83059642
He's the only guy who gives a shit about New Gods at DC right now, and DeMatteis' Phantom Stranger wouldn't have happened if Didio didn't start it.
>>
>>83060526
ah here it is,
http://www.newsarama.com/2902-dan-didio-20-answers-and-1-question-5-15-09.html
>>
>>83060526
Can you link me an exact quote where Dan says this just about editorial and not the quality of the book? I'm inclined to believe that but I need source because while you're criticizing someone for parroting a meme, you're doing that yourself.
>>
Everything said about DC in that article is fact. Everything said about Dan Didio in that article is speculation.

How do we know that Didio is responsible for all DC's mistakes, and not Bob Harrass or Jim Lee or Diane Nelson? A gut feeling that it fits our favorite narrative?

Since we don't work in the upper echelons at DC, none of us can be sure that, say, the decision to keep Berganza came from Didio, and not, say, Nelson. The assumption that Didio is directly responsible for all those mistakes is merely wishful thinking.
>>
>>83060721
it's Marky Marks Word against Dan's since that infamous quote was dropped by Mark Waid in an interview for Ain't It Cool News (Source Below), there was never an interview about it there's this >>83060672 but nothing about Editorial Mishandling.

http://www.cosmicteams.com/legion/docs/artcl-AICN-Mark-Waid.htm
>>
>>83060286
Some pretty hard numbers in the article though
>Consider DC and Image Comics in 2004, at the time he became Executive Editor, as compared to the present:
>DC’s market share in 2004 was 30.63% dollar share and 32.23% unit share.
>Image’s market share in Year-End 2004 was 3.90% Dollar Share, and 3.94% Unit Share.

>Consider DC and Image Comics today, after Mr. DiDio became a prominent figure at DC:
>DC’s market share in 2016 is 22.16% dollar share, and 24.02% unit share.
>Image’s current market share as of 2016 is 9.67% Dollar Share, and 10.99% Unit Share.
>>
>>83060997
>DC’s market share in 2016 is 22.16% dollar share, and 24.02% unit share.
>Image’s current market share as of 2016 is 9.67% Dollar Share, and 10.99% Unit Share.

This that DC is putting out less books with cheaper price, where as Marvel is flooding shit left and right, double shipping, and making most of them cost four dollars a pop. Let's see those numbers again after DC has started their bi-monthly program.

Plus Image's big growth isn't tied to DC, it's tied to shit like Walking Dead being a massive seller thanks to the TV show, and other indy houses like Dark Horse losing much of their sales.
>>
>>83060997
Both Marvel and DC lost grounds to Image. Marvel's aren't reflected currently because of Star Wars, something they were literally handed in a golden platter by Disney. Here's an actual look at it.
In 2006 - 07 industry or rather big 2 had probably the most fantastic year since the comic book bubble burst in 90s.

>2006
>MARVEL COMICS
>dollar 38.49%
>unit 42.33%
>DC COMICS
>dollar 34.47%
>unit 36.95%
>IMAGE COMICS
>dollar 3.72%
>unit 3.23%

>2007
>MARVEL COMICS
>dollar 40.25%
>unit 44.72%

>DC COMICS
>dollar 31.92%
>unit 34.71%

>IMAGE COMICS
>dollar 3.82%
>unit 3.41%

Then in 2011 when DC rebooted
>MARVEL COMICS
>dollar 37.29%
>unit 40.93%
>DC COMICS
>dollar 31.41%
>unit 36.77%
>IMAGE COMICS
>dollar 5.27%
>unit 4.71%

In 2012 market share
>MARVEL COMICS 34.06%
>DC COMICS 31.94%
>IMAGE COMICS 7.31%

Unit share
>MARVEL COMICS 36.78%
>DC COMICS 32.47%
>IMAGE COMICS 10.41%

2013 market share
>MARVEL COMICS 33.50%
>DC COMICS 30.33%
>IMAGE COMICS 8.00%

Unit share
>MARVEL COMICS 36.97%
>DC COMICS 33.35%
>IMAGE COMICS 8.49%

2014 market share
>MARVEL COMICS 34.38%
>DC COMICS 28.86%
>IMAGE COMICS 9.23%

Unit share
>MARVEL COMICS 36.78%
>DC COMICS 32.47%
>IMAGE COMICS 10.41%

2015 market share
>MARVEL COMICS 38.74%
>DC ENTERTAINMENT 25.75%
>IMAGE COMICS 9.93%

Unit Share
>MARVEL COMICS 41.82%
>DC ENTERTAINMENT 27.35%
>IMAGE COMICS 10.70%

Since the Image rise is 08 - 09, they've been directly gaining on both Marvel and DC while simultaneously taking a lead on other competitors such as IDW or Dark Horse. In 2015 Marvel took a huge chunk of market and unit share away from DC and Image mostly remained unaffected. So DC directly lost market share in retail and unit to Marvel and indirectly to Image. But Image is also directly affecting both Marvel and DC, makes sense since every big creator from both companies is going directly to Image. That's why recent DC exclusives are prohibiting any creators to work for both Marvel and Image.
>>
>>83062012
Also 2006 was the year Infinite Crisis, DC's best selling event to date (at least in this century) came out along with 52. In 2007 Marvel's best selling event that is Civil War came out.
>>
>>83059642
Not sure about all of it but DC loosing a third of its market share should have got him fired.

Also Berganza putting out arguably some of the worst Superman comics of all time should have got him shitcanned.
>>
>>83059642
>Is Dan Didio the cancer killing DC Comics?
Is Scott Snyder the cancer killing Batman Comics?
>>
>>83062328
Same Scott Snyder that kept it DC's best selling book for majority of 52 issues?
>>
>>83062374
>he thinks Batman won't sale regardless of writer

Tony Daniel was able to keep the book floating in the top 10 Anon. 20 pages of literal shit in every panel with "Batman" printed at the top would still crack the top 10 every month.
>>
>>83062694
There's a huge difference between Snyder's 100k a month and Daniels 50k a month
>>
>>83060108
call them Mouseketeers. They hate that.
>>
File: grant-morrison-comiccon.gif (98 KB, 500x331) Image search: [Google]
grant-morrison-comiccon.gif
98 KB, 500x331
this guy should be the editor at dc
>>
>>83062789
>Scott and Zack Snyder's Cancer 2016
>>
>>83062853
he's already editor at Heavy Metal.
>>
>>83062853

I don't dislike this idea.

Actually, just make him CCO instead of Geoff Johns.
>>
>>83059642
He's the reason we get books like Dr. Fate, Doom Patrol, OMAC, etc.

He's the reason we got Grayson.

If anything, he's as good as Johns is, in my eyes.
>>
>>83060997
echoing >>83061493

there are a lot of factors in this going on. you can't just contribute it all to Didio like he's a boogeyman.
>>
>>83063089
according to the blog, shitty stuff like that isn't enough for all the downfall that DC from the time he hopped on.
>>
>>83063089
This. Didio is the patrician reader's friend.
>>
>>83063252
>mainstream superhero comics
>patrician
Eh...
>>
>>83060782
Dan Didio: The concept that I am not proud of 52 is ridiculous. Anybody here who knows me knows that the minute issue #52 of 52 hit my hands was one of my proudest moments at DC Comics. It's something that I was involved in from the very inception of the project, and made sure that everything worked perfectly in order to achieve that. It was a project and process that we all worked for. It was the editors, the sales department, the marketing department, the production department. Every single person who worked on 52 is intensely proud of their work on that production. When we started it, we were not sure if we were going to be able to achieve our goals, and we exceeded them.

So yeah, fuck Mark SJWaid
>>
>>83062121
>In 2007 Marvel's best selling event that is Civil War came out.
It began in 2006 but was delayed into 2007 (like the Secret Wars that was the culmination of Hickvengers) for muh quality reasons
>>
>>83063383
>Being this gullible
>>
>>83062694
>>he thinks Batman won't sale regardless of writer

Late 90's/early 00's (up until Hush) Batman never had the sales levels that Snyder and Capullo's Batman had.
>>
>>83063089
Who's to say when Morrison takes over he won't give us those books?
>>
>>83065090

To be fair comics as a whole weren't doing well then. Marvel only just avoiding filing for bankruptcy
>>
>>83065914
When Hush happened, sales skyrocketed because of Lee. Then they gave the book to Azzarello/Risso and sales leveled out. In the period between Hush and Morrison, Bat sales were middling.
>>
He's done good and he's done bad, I have no idea why people here praise him so much. Also hat what he did with pope.

Paul Pope: “Batman did pretty well, so I sat down with the head of DC Comics. I really wanted to do ‘Kamandi [The Last Boy on Earth]’, this Jack Kirby character. I had this great pitch… and he said ‘You think this is gonna be for kids? Stop, stop. We don’t publish comics for kids. We publish comics for 45-year olds. If you want to do comics for kids, you can do ‘Scooby-Doo.’ And I thought, ‘I guess we just broke up.'”
>>
>>83065914
Marvel filed for bankruptcy in the mid 90's and yet they still managed to have like 2-5 books break the 100,000 mark all the way to the end of the 90's. At that time Batman still stayed (though consistent) at around the 50,000-60,000 mark.
>>
>>83060740
Bob Harras is still at DC? Well, the mystery is solved
>>
>>83060526
So 52 turned out good in spite of itself? While Countdown was a terrible event with terrible ideas executed perfectly?

Capes are strange, all the best things happened due to the worst possible circumstances.
>>
File: jew_basic.jpg (19 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
jew_basic.jpg
19 KB, 220x220
>>83059642
>plebbit
>shill

I'm not clicking that link Goldberg
>>
>>83066113
There's still been a consistent pattern of problems even before Harras got to a higher editorial position. I think he was either editor at Wildstorm or oversaw DC's trade paperback department during the 00's before he got the EIC equivalent job at DC during New 52.
>>
These are the guys that are responsible for sales crash currently because of their complacency. Motherfucker knows that big names are the reason for big sales yet the biggest name Didio and company acquired in Last 5 year was fucking Hitch and Romita Jr. While you keep losing all the soon to be A listers left and right to Marvel. Thank God recently someone knocked some sense in their heads and we have good DC exclusive writer lineup again since forever. All good artist/writer under his regime first go to Bat office, the place that needs them the least. This is the guy that thinks Venditti is hot shit. This is the guy that's partially responsible for new 52 Superman going into the shitters, franchise that he begged Morrison to save. I'm sure we are all happy for the books he kept alive, I'm so happy for Hannah Barbera and Young Animals too but that's not to excuse him for being shit at his job. And you don't know next person who'll take over won't give us good shit.
>>
>>83066117
52 turned out that way because they had 4 best capeshit writers of the time working on it, there's nothing more to that. Countdown literally had editorial dogs like Bedard and Palmiotti. Editorial might as well have been writing and shit wouldn't have made a difference.
>>
>>83063089
>Dr. Fate
pretty sure that's all Levitz using whatever pull he has left
>>
>>83066066
Is Dan Didio the head of DC Comics? Wouldn't that be Diane Nelson or Bob Harass? He must be pretty bummed out now that Didio announced the new Kamandi Book with rotating teams.
>>
>>83066552
Didio outranked and still outranks Harras.

And you're completely forgetting that the Pope quote was from the mid-00's. He specifically mentions that after Batman Year 100 did well he asked to do Kamandi, and Year 100 was out in like 2006 or something. Harras wasn't even in a position to make decisions for the DC mainline and Diane Nelson didn't oversee Didio yet.
>>
>>83066590
Correct, Nelson came in 2010 and Harras got promoted at the same time.
>>
>>83063333
>unironically using the word mainstream as a negative point against good books
kys
>>
>>83063089
He is also the reason we get the return of Barry Allen, the Nu52, the utter dysfunction of the Superman books from James Robinson/JMS's terrible scripts to Berganza's current style of editing and a-list artists like Tony Daniel becoming writers while actual writing talent is left to flounder on c/d-list books.
>>
>>83060526
And the editorial control is the entire reason that Countdown was awful. Outside of Sinestro Corps Wars it was one giant event mandated and controlled by editorial with the creators even Morrison being shut out.
>>
I'm tired of the DC bashing too, but yes, Didio is shit. His lack of management skills aside, have you ever heard him talk about the kinds of comics he grew up liking? His taste is very questionable. It's no surprise that he ends up championing the shit that Jim Lee churns out.
>>
>>83067861
Absolutely agreed, DC succeeds in spite of him, but as the person whom DC editorial answers to, it's really telling we have 'talent' like eddie, bob and brian and mike there.
>>
With Didio you have to take the bad with the good. He's let niche books like All Star Western, Midnighter, Omega Men (after some coaching about the promise he made) and Prez last much longer than they would at Marvel who have a much higher threshold for cancellation.
>>
>>83067861
>His lack of management skills aside, have you ever heard him talk about the kinds of comics he grew up liking?
https://youtu.be/6VO9505oVkM?t=5m38s
>>
>>83068242
anon those books would actually sell if they were on Marvel.
>>
>>83068633
Gillen please.
>>
>>83068646
but it's true, just compare Vision and Omega Men.
>>
>>83067861
>he doesn't like the meme stories the ceral king likes his tastes are shit!

Yet again not an argument from johnsfags
>>
>>83068650
Vision is not nearly as good as Omega Men.
>>
>>83059642

At this point everything is fucking up DCE. Seriously, they can barely do any right.
>>
>>83068650
Vision is a character who appears in movies and even with all those free copies Marvel gave out, the best it can do is sub 20,000. Omega Men would be doing Weirdworld or Starbrand and Nightmask numbers at Marvel.
>>
>>83068650
>just compare the comic about a guy that was in the Avengers to Omega mene, something barely even people that read comics know
>>
>>83068683
Omega Men wouldn't have gotten 12 issues at marvel. Canceled at 5.
>>
>>83068683
so.... cancelled by Issue 4? Weren't people praising Marvel for making a Native American Hero? Red Wolf? What the fuck did they cancel him too?
>>
>>83067943
>brian and mike
Who and who?
>>
>>83068784
It's sub-10,000 and Edmonson's a white man. Comparably poor-selling books like Moon Girl and Hellcat are on Diversity Life Support for now but they're unlikely to get more than 12 issues.
>>
>>83068825
>Hellcat
Bwahahaha, and wasn't Kate Leth just tweeting about how she didn't want to work for comics anymore because of some shit? She's probably getting the chopping block.

And since we're talking about shitty female writers getting booted off comics, I still can't fucking believe how many people are pissed at DC for not giving Bennet the WW Book, did they even hint it at that? I mean Bennet was tweeting about something big but DC didn't promise shit. Besides, it's FUCKING BENNET, they have read what she wrote right?
>>
>>83060108

I can admit Marvel's flaws. DC friends just live in a state of constant denial.
>>
>>83069035
Really? Then why are you still reading the real comic book cancer named Brian Michael Benids?
>>
>>83068921
>I still can't fucking believe how many people are pissed at DC for not giving Bennet the WW Book

Where? A few comments on twitter or tumblr? That doesn't count anon.
>>
>>83061493
>>83062012
>This that DC is putting out less books with cheaper price, where as Marvel is flooding shit left and right, double shipping, and making most of them cost four dollars a pop.
>Marvel's aren't reflected currently because of Star Wars

I will never understand these excuses, I'm not defending Marvel's businesses practices (or SW, fuck SW), but people on /co/ always use them as some sort of... shield. Like they are saying
>waaah Marvel doesn't play far, that's why they're so up ahead

So fucking what if they don't play fair? Don't you think DC would kill to have Star Wars in their lineup?
>>
>Anti-DC are redditors

Colour me surprised. Dan Didio is great.
>>
>>83069347
Bendis has more good runs under his belt than most of DC writers
>>
>>83059642
well, no shit.
>>
>>83069579
I would hardly call AoU a good run.
>>
>>83069579
>Daredevil
and uh...
???
>>
>>83069552
>Dan Didio is great.
>>>(you)
>>
>>83070363
It annoys me when I see aliens with teeth. Ridley fucked up on that front.
>>
>>83068820
brian cunningham and mike cotton, two former wizard staffers.
>>
>>83069496
You can twists statistics into meaning anything without proper context, that's why pointing out shit like Marvel's books being more expensive and coming more often means Marvel has bigger share than DC.
>>
>>83059642
>Brian Wood— sex monster;

WDHMBT?
>>
>>83060740
>Everything said about Dan Didio in that article is speculation.

The captain of the ship is firstly responsible.
>>
>>83069432
>He didn't knew
The Counter was totally reset man! And those ComicsAlliance Journalists were pissed!
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.