[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the most confusing storyline in comic history? I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: did i have a stroke.png (386 KB, 542x434) Image search: [Google]
did i have a stroke.png
386 KB, 542x434
What's the most confusing storyline in comic history?

I want to read something that'll leave me thinking after I finish it.
>>
>>83056815
Probably the Summers family tree.
>>
>>83056815
what do you want to be thinking?

>chemistry is hard

>why did they have to die like that

>where did all the stuff that was in the refrigerator go

>I'm never getting the time I spent reading this back what am I doing with my life

???

WE HAVE 'EM ALL
>>
>>83057229
ALL
>>
>>83056815
Hawkman, easily. Does someone have that history of Hawkman screencap?
>>
Identity Crisis.
>>
>>83057481
Fuck, just thinking about this is making my head hurt.
>>
>>83056815
>I want to read something that'll leave me thinking after I finish it.
When you say "thinking", what do you mean?
>>
The Messiah shit with Hope Summers. God almighty, it made 90s X-lore look well put together.
>>
File: Hawkman1.png (854 KB, 988x2048) Image search: [Google]
Hawkman1.png
854 KB, 988x2048
>>83057481
>>83057631
Nevermind, I found it.
>>
File: Hawkman2.png (871 KB, 1261x2046) Image search: [Google]
Hawkman2.png
871 KB, 1261x2046
>>83057877
>>
File: i do not understand.jpg (107 KB, 369x606) Image search: [Google]
i do not understand.jpg
107 KB, 369x606
>>83057919
>>83057877
>>
File: 1445390006380.jpg (166 KB, 1345x864) Image search: [Google]
1445390006380.jpg
166 KB, 1345x864
Cerebus the Aardvark, by (in)famous diagnosed-schizophrenic Dave Sim.

The penultimate storyline is literally reading the Book of Genesis and finding a brand new interpretation where it's a story of dueling dual deities, G-d (male and good) and YHWH (female and evil).
>>
>>83057877
>>83057919
this shit is still a fucking nightmare, now post the one with beta ray bill to have something happy
>>
>>83057481
>>83057877
>>83057919
Donna Troy is up there with him.

To think that her history got fucked less than a year of the Finches introducing her.

Rebirth is probably gonna fuck their backstories up more.
>>
>>83059070
What's Donna Troy's deal?
>>
>>83057919
This anon did one for Cable too, he's not as fucked as Hawkman but he's still a clusterfuck of a character.
>>
>>83057481
>>83057631
>>83057877
>>83057919
>>83058305
>>83059022
>>83060460
Only casuals and normies think this shit is """complicated""" Half of that shit isn't even his origin and can be summed up with "alien and his girlfriend are reincarnated all the time and fall in love and fight crime".
>>
>>83056815
HYPERCRISIS
>>
I was going to say something like Enigma or Bulletproof Coffin.

But if we're limiting it to Big 2 then I'll go with.... I don't know. Jack Kirby's 2001 or something? I still don't know what he thinks he was going for with that.
>>
>>83060666
Yes you can say "alien and his girlfriend are reincarnated all the time and fall in love and fight crime" and it gets the point across, but actually tracing what has been published shows that Hawkman has had a complicated history, regardless of what has been retconned, streamlined or trimmed out of continuity.
>>
>>83060397
She was created by accident when the writer of Teen Titans saw a cover with teenage Wonder Woman on it and thought it was a new character.
And she has like 5 different origins

>Rescued orphan: Donna Troy was rescued from an orphanage fire by Wonder Woman, who took her to Paradise Island to be raised as an Amazon and little sister of Diana.
>Titan Seed: The Titan Rhea had rescued a young Donna from a fire, adding her to a group of 12 orphans from around the universe who had been raised on New Cronus by these Titans as "Titan Seeds", their eventual saviors. The Seeds had been given superhuman powers and named after ancient Greek cities. Called "Troy", Donna (like the others) had eventually been stripped of her memories of her time with the Titans of Myth, and reintroduced into humankind to await her destiny. In this version, Donna was not an Amazon and had no connection to Wonder Woman.

Her having no connection to Diana in the latter is because of COIE IIRC
After COIE Perez Wonder Woman has Diana who went to man's world the first time after some heroes were already established and that's one reason why Black Canary took her place on the JL.
>>
>>83061074
>Infinite Lives of Donna Troy: In a revision that incorporated the Titan Seed continuity while reattaching Donna Troy to Wonder Woman, it is revealed that the Amazon sorceress Magala had animated a mirror image of young Princess Diana to create for her a mystical, "identical twin" playmate. This twin is soon mistaken for Diana and kidnapped by Dark Angel. Dark Angel disperses the girl's spirit across the multiverse, condemning her to live multiple lives, each one cut short by the Dark Angel at a moment of tragedy. In at least one of these variant lives, Donna would become a superhero and encounter her grown sister, now Wonder Woman, and their mother Queen Hippolyta, without realizing who she really was or how she was related to them. After that timeline ends with the death of Donna's son, Diana and Hippolyta intervene to find what happened to Donna. Donna finally defeats Dark Angel, destroying the evil entity and regaining her original Amazon powers. She returns to reality to continue her life from that point.
>Wonder Woman (vol. 3) Annual #1: gives Donna a new origin that combines elements of her three variant origins. Donna was born as Princess Diana's mystic twin through the help of Amazon sorceress Magala. Months later, an old enemy of Queen Hippolyta, called Dark Angel, kidnapped Donna thinking she was Diana. Donna was placed in suspended animation by Dark Angel for years but was eventually rescued and returned to the Amazons' home, where she received training from both the Amazons and the Titans of Myth and was raised as Diana's sister and Hippolyta's second daughter. Years later, she followed Diana into the outside world as Wonder Girl and helped form the Teen Titans.
>Finches' New 52 version: Hecate made Donna from Hippolyta's clay a la soup. She's told to be the new queen over Diana, and she leads some amazons to kill the male amazons. Diana gets mad, kicks her ass, and I dunno what happened after that. Something about the lasso.
>>
>>83061193
Aaaaand

>New 52 Titans Hunt: ...

I haven't read it but I've heard that Finches' Donna got retconned into being the clone of the original Donna instead of using Hippolyta's clay?

Can someone reading it confirm and tell me if they even said where the original Donna was hiding then
>>
>>83056815
spider man clone saga?
>>
>>83061273
Does the original Donna then have an origin yet?
>>
Everyone says Morrison's Xorn storyline was confusing and Bendis' retcon of it just made it worse.
>>
>>83062238
This.
I'm above average IQ with a decent knowledge of philosophy, metaphysics, and a penchant for high-concept SciFi, and of course a lot of comics trivia...
For God's sake, I was reading the unabridged works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle at the age of nine...
Yet, I didn't know what the hell was going on in half of those stories.
Learn from my mistake: Don't speed-read through any of them.
>>
>>83060915
Why did they retcon shit, anyway? First origin was good enough.
>>
>>83062041
Do you want the behind-the-scenes comic company scuttlebutt, or the flimsy rationale that was tacked on to explain away the horrible mistake?
>>
>>83064082
>For God's sake, I was reading the unabridged works of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle at the age of nine...

I'm just impressed you haven't broken your neck sucking your own dick so hard.
>>
>>83056815
Easy. Try figuring out who Pietro and Wanda's parents are.
>>
>>83064082
is this you?

https://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/sf2e7/i_sent_gabe_newell_a_question_about_what_his_life/c4dmknx
>>
>>83064225
It wasn't that hard. (Large and long dick.)
>>
>>83056815
Batman Odyssey
>>
>>83064288
Holy shit, thank you for this.
>>
>>83061286
That one's not too complicated.
>I was cloned?
>Oh, it died
>Oh, it survived?
>Oh, I'm the clone?
>Oh, he's the clone?
>Oh, I'm the clone, gotcha
>Oh, there's another clone? And another? And another? And...
>Oh whoops, nope, never mind, I'm not the clone
>Alright, thanks for reading, don't mind the loose ends and plot holes
>>
>>83060915
Yeah but all comic characters have pretty complicated histories.
>>
>>83062238
Did Bendis retcon it? I thought it was Austen.
>>
>>83064563
But what I want to know is where's the caveman?
>>
>>83056815
Something being confusing does not necessarily mean its something with depth that requires a lot of thought. Usually it just means bad storytelling, or you're an idiot.
>>
>>83064612
Maybe it was, maybe it wasn't. All I know is that /co/ blames all things Marvel on Bendis now. Come on, you knew this.
>>
File: Unfrozen+Cave+Man+Lawyer[1].jpg (36 KB, 500x389) Image search: [Google]
Unfrozen+Cave+Man+Lawyer[1].jpg
36 KB, 500x389
>>83064832
practicing law
>>
I don't really know if this counts as confusing, but if you read the sandman it can leave you with alot to think about.
>>
>>83056815
Clone Saga or X-men in general, they were infamous for that.
>>
>>83064866
I assume anon meant confusing in a what the fuck is going on here kind of way
>>
>>83060666
After hearing about the Hawksnarl for so long, this was almost disappointing in backstory. It's just comic events that make things crazy, and I don't think it's really unique to the Hawks
>>
>>83056815

The Scooby-doo timeline
>>
>>83056815
Go figure out how Kang the Conqueror works.
>>
>>83057772
Are u talking about messiah complex,war,and second coming?

I don't think they're confusing at all
>>
>>83068205
Clone Saga wasn't really confusing, actually.
Sure, there were plot-holes, but the main problem was they kept it going too long and kept changing direction all time.

But as a story is quite straightforward.
>>
File: 776141.jpg (114 KB, 600x925) Image search: [Google]
776141.jpg
114 KB, 600x925
This is what you're looking for, anon. Tough to track down, but worth it.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.