[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is King of The Hill a good representation of modern day Texas,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: p184316_b_v8_ac.jpg (236 KB, 960x1440) Image search: [Google]
p184316_b_v8_ac.jpg
236 KB, 960x1440
Is King of The Hill a good representation of modern day Texas, or is it outdated?
>>
>>83056165
it's pretty accurate for middle class and up suburban types. I know many business owners like Mr Strickland. but the lower class is generally not as good intentioned as Lucky.
>>
I live in the deep south, Alabama to be more specific, and King Of The Hill is still a bafflingly accurate portrayal of southern ignorance and culture that permeates down here.
I find Squidbillies funnier though
>>
>>83056875
King of the Hill is specifically about Middle-America/Texas, not so much deep south.
>>
>>83056875
i bet you're a lot of fun and have tons of friends
>>
File: Texas.png (34 KB, 274x193) Image search: [Google]
Texas.png
34 KB, 274x193
Texan here, it's pretty accurate. We're nice enough once you get to know us, but for us Texas is the greatest thing on Earth and we will never let you forget it.
>>
>>83056165
It's literally Arlington, TX from when it was a burb and not just a section of more city between Fort Worth and Dallas. McManorbury is Granbury (McManorbury being a pun of both Mc Mansion(or Manor) and how tons of Texas town names aren't the normal pronunciation, like Hico.

So it's a very specific part of north central Texas. And that part of Texas is still much the same today. There's time specific things in the show that are different like all the WW2 vets are dying off compared to 10 years ago, Vietnam guys are much older, there hasn't been that crazy spring break season in Port Aransas for a decade, those little homemade glass figurine guys don't exist in malls anymore (malls in general are dying too), the meth boom died a decade ago.

So just stuff like that.

But Alamo/Lone Star beer, BBQ, being obsessed with mowers, trucks, lawns and football are the same as it ever was. The pig guy was a play on the old Armour meat heir in Ft Worth. The skydiving school there that had somebody fall out of plane and hit the ground and not die is still open. There's still two Dillards in Wichita Falls, and A&M and UT still try to steal each other's mascots.

The real crazy thing is how much local history is preserved in that show.
>>
>>83058052
I had no idea so many of these things were referenced to actual Texan things and I've watched this show since I was a kid.
>>
>>83056875
>bafflingly accurate portrayal of southern ignorance and culture that permeates down here
Butthurt liberal NEaster detected.

I'll bet you're just a massive fucking buzzkill.
>>
>>83058052
That's really fascinating stuff. You should go through the episodes and compile a list with references for all that because I wouldn't have known otherwise.
>>
>>83056875
>southern ignorance

As if some other place is devoid of ignorance. If there were, I'd go there.
>>
>>83057592
>>83061589
Why so triggered though.
>>
>>83056165
>>83056794
>>83057726
That is terrifying.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.