[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
who did it better, /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3
File: ewing and hickman.png (2 MB, 1214x828) Image search: [Google]
ewing and hickman.png
2 MB, 1214x828
who did it better, /co/?
>>
File: I dunno.png (54 KB, 251x257) Image search: [Google]
I dunno.png
54 KB, 251x257
You tell me, I haven't been following 'The Ultimates'.
>>
>>83036936
I probably found New Avengers more enjoyable, but I think that's because Hickman had a lot of large personalities to work with. When you have Black Panther, Tony Stark, Reed Richards, Doctor Strange and Namor in your title you have a lot of opportunities for conflict and to show off those characters.

Ewing has done a better job with Black Panther so far though, who I would say is the only 'big personality' on the team.

In terms of meta stuff it's a pretty similar situation. Hickman had a lot to work with so we got to see planets colliding and guest appearances from other universes (I'm blending together Hickman's whole arc here but I lose track of what happened under which title). Ewing on the other hand has done a lot with an as-of-yet quite contained story. The Galactus twist was great and the way he presented the sliding timescale.

So I'd probably be more likely to give Hickman another read, but I think ewing would have written it better himself.
>>
>>83036871
i've tried reading ultimates and i gave up after two issues.

it looks like a major sjw fest, especially that black whats her name girl mary sue.

the latter was actually top tier.
>>
Ultimates is Marvel's second best book.
>>
We won't know for a few years, it could go either way

I miss Mighty Avengers honestly, it was a fun book
>>
>>83036871
Ultimates is picking up but hasn't gotten there. Also the Illuminati is generally a more entertaining team. Maybe if they could Strange and Black Bolt into the ultimates.
>>
>>83036871
Character-wise: Hickman
Introducing interesting high concepts:Ewing
>>
>>83037261
god damn it /co/, you can't just say a book sucks cause it has a diverse cast. Maybe there was a fucking reason for these characters? And you know what? There fucking is! Only character that COULD be replaced is Black Panther, but only if they had another HUGE funder...but no one is as rich as him so Ultimate Funder
>>
>>83036871

The real question is; who did it better and why we can't have nice things?
>>
They really don't have all that much in common.

Hickman's New Avengers is Black Panther and his Illuminati friends trying and failing to save the world from its inevitable destruction all while falling prey to interpersonal issues and old grudges.

Ewing's Ultimates is Blue Marvel and his All-New-All-Different-Totally-Not-The-Authority friends trying an succeeding in getting ahead of major threats to the world all while becoming better people along the way.
>>
>>83037261
> /co/ the person
> does not care about story, quality and etc
> "oh god they have 3 girls and 2 black guys what a sjw fest"

You guys never fail me to amaze me
>>
>>83036871
Hickman is shit at writing BP
>>
>>83041312
How can it be a quality comic if there aren't even any white men?
>>
>>83041312
You realize people like that are the minority on /co/, right?
>>
>>83041535
this is like "ironic shitposting is still shitposting" but in entertainment choice, using SJW logic ironically is still fucking dumb
>>
>>83041535
by having more hot girls in it
>>
New Avengers and Avengers by Hickman were comics that required a lot of work to read. That's fine for some comics, but for an Avengers title I want to see nice, self-contained family drama set next to an epic superhero backdrop. Not the shit he was trying to pull. Getting through that whole storyline was a chore.
>>
>>83042431
then go back to reading X-men.

eh...sorry, they haven't been good in a while...but that is where that shit should be.
Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.