[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
DC Rebirth and New 52 Superman
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 3809295-1.jpg (757 KB, 1249x1920) Image search: [Google]
3809295-1.jpg
757 KB, 1249x1920
Alright, so I'm a bit late and I wanted to catch up on New 52 Supes. I've heard good things about him and I was planning on reading all of the stuff that featured him, but my problem is his apparent death in rebirth.

Now, I'm just wondering, would it just be a waste of time to look at any new 52 Supes books? I mean, I wanna look into the guy, but I feel like my investment into him won't mean much since he's getting replaced by the original pre-flashpoint Superman.

Hell, did anybody want this, specifically? It just feels weird, I think they could've done with both Supes being alive and teaming it up. Maybe launch a Superman/Superman title or something.
>>
You should at least read Morrison's run on Action
>>
>>83023384
He'll be back sooner or later, but from what I've read there's hints he's never actually been the real Superman which is fucking shit.

Still you should at least try Superman Unchained and Morrison's Action Comics, they're both pretty solid stories.
>>
>>83023384

Morrison's Action Comics
Pak/Kuder's Action Comics?

thats about it.

I like Gene Luen Yang, but reception to his run seems to have been lukewarm at best.

Geoff Johns did a short run on Superman that was okay. JRJr did the art.

Scott Snyder also did a mini, but no one seems to have built on it, so I guess it doesn't matter. It was decent.
>>
>>83023384
Honestly, I'm thinking that Nu52 Supes is the reborn Kal-L.
>>
>>83023384
Current theories for who he really is include:
>Mon-El
>Conner
>Superboy Prime
And probably others.
>>
>>83023559
thinking this is the case. would be fun seeing Pre-FP supes seeing his predecessor as a younger counterpart.
>>
>>83023623
Conner is such an awful idea. Just bad.

Someone suggested Chris Kent that I don't mind
>>
>>83023795
especially when we actually see him bite the dust early on the run.

It's either Prime or Kal-L
>>
>>83023559
now this would be clever
>>
>>83023559
I could get behind that. The Golden Age tinge to his early stories would make a lot more sense, and it wouldn't completely devalue the character's stories like revealing he was anyone else would.
>>
>>83023384
so who was the lois then? I know she is becoming Superwoman but still. also I think it might just be duplicates the same way there was a JSA on Earth-0 and 2 pre-fp
>>
>>83023559
I don't want this because he doesn't deserve to be treated like shit by Lois, especially if it's HIS Lois
>>
>>83024321
Anon, Golden and Silver Age Superman and Lois treated each other like shit constantly. It was like their foreplay until they got older and settled down. Hell in her very first appearance she outright says she can't stand Clark.
>>
>>83023892
This is why I think the rumor doesn't really fit. She's still hanging around everyone as if her identity was legit.
>>
>>83023511
Clark Reily
>>
>>83023511
Ditto on this - Action Comics was a great three trades/19 or so issues. And Superman Unchained is something I'm about to re-read when I am done with a few things on my nightstand at the moment.
>>
I really hope New-52 Superman is coming back.
Is the real Superman, down the line post-Rebirth.
Pre-FP SM gets retired by Action #1000, passing the torch to New-52 Superman.
No merger, no fake Superman.
Because it would be telling readers they weren't reading and rooting for Superman, these 5 damned years.
Because New-5 Supes doesn't deserve this shit treatment.
Christ.
BTW, going by L&C and the recent involvement of Pre-FP SM, post-Rebirth will have SM written like how he was written in 2011. According to some superoldfag Superman reader friends of mine.
>>
>>83027077
*New-52 Supes
>>
>>83023384
>Hell, did anybody want this, specifically?

Not exactly, but it's as close to what I wanted as we can get. Two Supermen being published at the same time is more messy to me than one with a convoluted backstory, and given a choice, I'll take one who's married to Lois every time.
>>
>>83027077
>like how he was written in 2011

2011? NOBODY writes Superman how JMS wrote him. That version of Superman had no fans.

But 00's Supes was a solid character.
>>
>>83027166
I'm in no position to judge.
But oldfag readers did.
Anyway, we have Tomasi and Jurgens writing him for the relaunch.
It's most likely to be bland. Possibly terrible. But eh, don't really care for Pre-FP SM that much.
>>
>>83027795
I think the Superman books are gonna be great because of the whole Lex co-opting the S-Shield thing.
>>
>>83023384
>Hell, did anybody want this, specifically?

All the Superman fans that only read ASS and complained about nu52 being edgy and didn't actually read the comics.

So yes, the majority of /co/ wanted it.
>>
>>83027795
Why does /co/ constantly shit on Jurgens, anyway? Admittedly I didn't read any of his Nu52 work but his Booster Gold was great.
>>
>>83027854
He's bland. His best days are behind him. His heydays was back in the 90s. Now, all he's good for is writing fast scripts.
Real fast. Possibly why he and Tomasi was picked for the double-shipped relaunch. They're fast writers.
Tomasi could be good/decent. But I don't know that for sure.
>>
>>83028014
Tomasi wrote GL Corps during Johns' Hal run, didn't he?

That book was fucking great.
>>
>>83028014
That doesn't seem worthy of the almost unanimous hate I see every time his name is brought up.

It's not like he's a guy who actively ruins characters or is painful to read like Bendis or Venditti or Lobdell.
>>
>>83028074
Didn't read much Batman stuff or GL stuff, so not really familiar with his skills.
A couple SM-related stuff he did that I did read was decent, but hammered hard by editorial insistence on crossovers.
The current Final Days arc started good, but is now evidently rushed, Pre-FP was a bit douchey.
Got the feeling editorial didn't care enough to supervise or fucked it up by not relaying what Jurgens did or maybe editorial had a slightly different idea.
Just do not like the current Superman direction.
>>
>>83027166
wasn't 2011 the black ring? that was pretty good
>>
>>83028112
Mediocrity of his writing is not what people would want to read from Superman or Action.
People expect more, maybe?
It's good for a nostalgia trip as a friend suggested, with the L&C mini, but not for mainline Superman and Action titles. Especially not for a supposed major relaunch.

I wanna read New-52 Superman with some good writers. As far as I'm concerned, Pre-FP is the safe version, with safe writers like Jurgens.
>>
>>83023384
All they needed to do was make personality and costume adjustments but dcs biggest weakness is there inability to fix things the easy way.
>>
>>83027795
>Anyway, we have Tomasi and Jurgens writing him for the relaunch.
It's most likely to be bland. Possibly terrible

yeah, i put some hope on Jurgens, but i dont really like Tomasi Superman, until now.
>>
>>83028344
2011 is the year Flashpoint happened so Black Ring was maybe '10? I can't recall for sure.
>>
>>83023384
>I've heard good things about him

Clearly a troll post. Literally no one likes the character.
>>
>>83028074
That book was fucking atrocious.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.