[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why did this fail while films like Nut Job, Escape from Planet
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1
File: ratchet-and-clank.png (928 KB, 920x518) Image search: [Google]
ratchet-and-clank.png
928 KB, 920x518
Why did this fail while films like Nut Job, Escape from Planet Earth, Open Season, Planet 51, and a shit ton of other sub-par animated films succeed?

This should have at LEAST made its money back. Even $30 - $40 mil would be enough. I can't recall any animated feature in the last decade that made only $10 mil. Even the PPG Movie and Happily N'Ever After made more.
>>
>>83021619
Speaking as someone who never played the games, the movie felt like it wasn't meant for me. The world and characters felt like shallow placeholders I was supposed to already care about from the source material.
>>
>>83021619
Because literally what
I saw no advertising for it, I can only imagine it was directed to gamers
>>
>>83022838
Weird because I saw commercials for it on Cartoonnetwork and Disney like, every couple of minutes.
>>
>>83021619
Promotion/marketing?

I didn't know what the fuck this was and it wasn't even shown here.
>>
>>83021619
Probably a combination of poor marketing, and a stay in development hell.

The fact that they changed the writer to someone who wanted something like Norm of the North probably didn't help.
>>
>>83023360
Norm of the North made more money than R&C. Let that sink in.
>>
>>83023360

They didn't change writers, Fixman simply left after providing the script, which he assumed would see changes as the film was put together.

Does make one wish he'd release the draft he wrote.
>>
>>83021619
At least the game sold well, and that's what counts.
>>
>>83023985
I'd have bought it but the new console generation is so freaking unappealing

Ratchet and Clank and Bloodbourne

Since the consoles were released those are the only two games that I've actually wanted to play.

Thank god I can scratch the Bloodbourne itch with Dark Souls 3 on PC
>>
>>83021619
I didn't even know it existed until a week before it was to come out.

Plus, who the fuck cares about Ratchet & Clank any more?
>>
>>83024190

Plenty.
>>
It doesn't help that it was released squarely between Jungle Book and Civil War. Any ootential audience it could've had would go to the better reviewed movies.
>>
Poor marketing. Sony literally gave it no attention outside of PSN adverts, and even though PS3/4 owners number in the millions, that's not enough to get something the attention it needs.

Fuck, even Powers had some advertising before and during its first season, while the second has been getting a fair bit of promotion.

As for the film itself, it's not entirely terrible, but it's extremely safe and doesn't have anything going for it like better CG films.
>>
Too safe
>>
>>83022776
For people who play the game, the movie feels either like fun fanservice with light story or like a bastardized reboot/nerdy nitpicks.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.