[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
It's been 11 years since this godawful episode aired on
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 32
File: Aang_solves_the_conflict.png (113 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
Aang_solves_the_conflict.png
113 KB, 333x250
It's been 11 years since this godawful episode aired on Friday May 20, 2005
>>
I think it speaks volumes about the quality of TLA that what would be a more or less mediocre episode of another series comes across as terrible to it.
>>
>>82970024
At least it showed that Aang was willing to lie in order to establish peace.
>>
This was the first episode I ever saw. I liked it.
>>
>>82970024
its a perfectly fine world building AND character building episode of a show that was going to have 3 seasons and 60 episodes

not to mention it was in fucking season 1

the worst thing was the season 3 episodes that should have been in season 1
>>
File: frank_3213423c[1].jpg (92 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
frank_3213423c[1].jpg
92 KB, 460x287
Whats wrong OP? Did a political move that caused peace between two factions bothered you?

Or did you just wacthed the NC top 11 click bait nitpicks it would make cinemasin cringe?
>>
>>82970024
Fuck you man. I actually liked this episode
>>
>>82970024
I can live with a shitty premise so long as you either give it a twist or give it good excecution. This one did both. Its not my favorite (of course) but it aint the worst.
>>
>>82970697
>but it aint the worst.

And the worst is... ?
>>
>>82970024
I started rewatching Atla and skipped this episode today.
>>
>>82970140
Yeah. The story was so-so, but it really helps to bring forth Aang's opinion on peace.

>>82970697
It's definitely the worst. It's still good though.
>>
This episode is totally worth it just to see Mr. Goody Two-Shoes lie through his teeth.
>>
I don't get what everyone had against this episode. It wasn't great but it wasn't really bad either. Just kind of forgettable.
>>
>>82970782
Probably that fucking Toph episode in Book 3. That was when you realized that Bryke had run out of ideas for her.
>>
Outside this one, what are the worst episodes of AtlA, anyway?
>>
>>82971136
The Runaway?

I don't think it was anywhere near the worst. The Great Divide is LITERALLY filler. It has no impact whatsoever on any episode after it. It's THE WORST.
>>
>>82971167
Avatar Day is the only truly weak episode in S2 (The Swamp could be argued is pretty bad, but I disagree)

The Painted Lady

The Headband
>>
>>82970024
Let it go, anon.
>>
>>82971238
Funny how they all establish something about either a character, or a nation.

I agree that there are weaker episodes, but A:TLA doesn't have outright 'bad' episodes. It's almost miraculous in that regard.

AND it ended when it intended to. It wasn't cancelled mid-way or prolonged to try and cash-grab it. Well, sorta.
>>
>>82971238
I kinda liked The Headband...

>>82971273
Maybe you'd prefer we talk about Korra?
>>
>>82971294
>but A:TLA doesn't have outright 'bad' episodes.

It's just they feel bad because most of the other episodes are so fucking fantastic.
>>
>>82971312
No thank you.
>>
>>82971238
>The Headband

Are you kidding me
>>
>>82971401
Sorry, not a fan of Avatar Footloose.

The episode did absolutely nothing for me.
>>
>>82971294
Nick even gave them an extra episode to finish the story too, after they realized they'd written too much for just three episodes.
>>
>>82971565
And an extra 4 seasons for them to dump the shit ideas.
>>
I still think the episode was fine.

Aang was right, too.
>>
>>82971608
It's not their fault they're worthless without Aaron Ehasz and Giancarlo Volpe.
>>
>>82971238
>The Painted Lady
>The Headband
These should have been season 1 episodes, they are far too late in delivery to appear in season 3 when there is too many more important plot points going on
>>
>>82971608
Korra wasn't shit, at least not complete shit.

It was a lot more inconsistent than TLA though. It's one of the few shows where I'd come back every week hoping the show would get better, and occasionally it actually did. Season 1 had a lot of cool ideas, Season 3 was actually good, and even Seasons 2 and 4 had some good episodes.

It's just that they didn't edit for shit. No one stopped to think that, hey, maybe ending this entire arc about balance and change and cycles with an unambiguously "good vs. evil" monster fight topped off with an unapologetic deus ex machina was a bad idea".
>>
>>82971732
Did they just not know what to do in the beginning of S3? The second half is fine, but as you said, the first half feels a lot like S1.
>>
>>82971774
I think they got fucked up with Mako dying, because we know for a fact they cut a lot of Irohs story out
>>
>>82970024
I realized the same thing some yesterday and it god dam hurts. I don't even know what I did in the last eleven years.
>>
>>82971763
>Korra
see>>82971369
>>
While we're looking at what AtlA did badly, is there anyone that actually liked the Aang/Katara romance? Always felt kinda superfluous.
>>
>>82971940
>>82971940
I was never super into it, but the ending kiss always ties my chest up into a knot. It's really sweet.
>>
>>82971940
I liked it, wasn't needed but it also didn't get in the way of the story. It also neatly wrapped up the show without stealing the spotlight of everything else happening in the ending.
>>
>>82971940
It's fine, it just dragged on too much

They should have been "official" in season 2, then season 3 could have focused more on Aang "letting go" to become the Avatar, but instead season 3 was just more of a will they wont they?
>>
>>82971940
it was cute
sometimes it was dumb
i didn't mind it most of the time
>>
>>82972034
They started to show them caving to shippers.

If only we knew what was to come...
>>
>>82972078
>caving to shippers
Wasn't Zutara one of the most popular non-Harry Potter pairing at the time?
>>
File: tumblr_nc98gxNU4B1ryhcago1_1280.jpg (309 KB, 894x894) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nc98gxNU4B1ryhcago1_1280.jpg
309 KB, 894x894
>>82971763
Korra Book 2 is my least favorite of the franchise.

Funny thing is, it's Janet Varney's favorite, and she was a fan even before voicing Korra. She loved all the spirits and particularly Wan.
>>
>>82972078
Didn't seem to cave to shippers in Atla, that was in LoK.
>>
>>82972152
Yeah, but I said they were showing signs of STARTING to cave by teasing all that shit that they hadn't previously.

If they had actually gone with Zutara... I don't even know what I'd think.
>>
>>82972197
This board would probably still joke to this day about how hard Aang got NTR'd.
>>
>>82971238
>>82971294
>Funny how they all establish something about either a character, or a nation.

This.

Its epísodes like THAT that Korra actually needed.
>>
>>82972160
Strange about liking book 2, though i guess it is generally acceptet that the Wan parts was pretty fun (even if it messed with lore). Have no idea how she could like the rest better than any other season.
>>
>>82972343
Maybe she just has shit taste. These things happen with celebrities.
>>
>>82972197
dude they started "teasing" katara and aang in the first episode, it is immediately apparent that they are endgame from the start of the show
>>
>>82972383
Probably, but would like to know why anyway.
>>
>>82971183
>filler is bad
its called world building and character development
>>
>>82972463
There was neither in that episode.
>>
>>82972477
Come on Anon, these two tribes were fascinating.
>>
Waaaay better than the movie, anyway.
>>
>>82970024
This was a good episode
>>
>>82972519
What were their names again?
>>
>>82972652
Britishname Complicated
>>
>>82972646
but...it wasn't

I just wanted to let you know that you're wrong.
>>
>>82972947
k
>>
It was pretty funny and interesting. Honestly only see people here.
>>
>>82971940
Cliche and boring. The two had zero chemistry together and only ended up together because Aang was the hero and Katara was the only girl to exist for an entire season.
>>
They did make fun of it in that episode where they see a play of their adventures

>look! The Great Divide
> Eh let's keep going
>>
>Jeong Jeong refuses to teach the Avatar how to firebend
>Says the avatar has to learn the elements in order (but doesn't REALLY explain why)
>Changes his mind when Avatar Roku threatens him in a vision (because the AS was broken beyond belief in Book 1)
>So either the rule about learning the elements in order (which again, largely unexplained) is bullshit or Roku is a fucking idiot, either way one of these two great masters are discredited
>Jeong Jeong sets Aang up with a task that is designed to fail and cause destruction, so to teach him the dangers of firebending before furthering the training
>Sets him up in an isolated spot with supervision so that nothing goes too horribly wrong (he himself is aware of this danger, after all)
>Suddenly, no longer isolated, entire gaang is there, and no supervision.
>Surprisingly, something goes horribly wrong, Katara gets hurt. Aang is scarred emotionally.
>Zuko is tricked into destroying his own fleet from the "lesson" Jeong "taught" him
>Firebending's tendency to destroy well after a firebender attacks is never seen again except for background scenery that was burned intentionally

/co/ wouldn't know a bad episode if it slapped them in the face.
>>
>>82970024
It's sad this episode gets so much hate but i think I only feel that way because I like older, large sized barbarian matron as a character type in fantasy
>>
I honestly had no idea that this episode was so hated until I looked at fanboards when I was a kid.
>>
>>82973138
ATLAs ability to test the waters before going full speed, and then to learn from its mistakes is the singlemost reason Korra paled in comparison.
>>
>>82970024
It's not nearly as bad as the "Katara poisons Appa to play Captain Planet" episode.

I still haven't seen Korra because Season 3 had so many stinkers I never finished the series.
>>
>>82973274
>(but doesn't REALLY explain why)

Cause you gotta know Earth beforehand cause that shit is stable and steady and Fire ain't.
>>
>>82973302
>fanboards

I miss when those were still a thing
>>
>>82973133
But anon, Toph existed for more than an entire season :^)
>>
>>82973343
Are you telling me that you actually haven't finished ATLA?
>>
>>82971294
Yeah, that is pretty incredible. The worst of AtlA would be considered middle of the road, leaning toward "good" for most series.
>>
>>82973496
Maybe someone used a monkey's paw.

And the downside is the movie and/or Korra.
>>
>>82970140
>Fuck your shitty culture and history, we're going to be eaten by monsters. Fuck you assholes

I wish Aang took that lesson to heart more.
>>
>>82973302
its what happens when everything has to have a point to make to be enjoyable

i thought it was nice
>>
>>82973274
>>82973430
>firebending's wild and dangerous, you have to learn that calm and steady earthbending first!
>meanwhile in the Fire Nation, where thousands of firebenders can't earthbend
>>
>>82973274
Jeong Jeong was not supposed to be infallible. He is a traumatized and bitter old man who believes things that are clearly not meant to be true within the framework of the show, such as that firebending is inherently evil. Why do you think being a "great master" means he should never make mistakes? Especially considering the final arc of the season centers around a "great master" of waterbending who is explicitly portrayed as a giant stupid dickhead.

I smell autism.
>>
>>82973655
That's different. If you're a waterbending or airbending Avatar first, you don't really NEED to keep control of your base element. They're mostly harmless.

Fire is dangerous all of the time. Regular firebenders (I hope) are taught this from the get-go.

If you're a natural firebender, you need to learn restraint beforehand, if you're NOT a natural firebender, you SERIOUSLY, REALLY need to learn restraint.
>>
>>82971940

No. If there was one thing the Avatar series always sucked at, it was romance.
>>
File: garfield is dead.jpg (15 KB, 197x169) Image search: [Google]
garfield is dead.jpg
15 KB, 197x169
>>82971820
>tfw we will never ever see Iroh's story to its finish as it was meant to be

Were notes ever published? Sucks not knowing at all.
>>
>>82973274
Zhao, not Zuko, dingbat.
>>
>>82973526
I really wish AtlA went the "Mask of the Phantasm" route and did an animated feature with the same staff from the series.

Guess we'll never get that now.
>>
The show had this really horrible inability to write adults as being anything but irrational and self-absorbed. I don't know if that was intentional or not, but it was a glaring flaw.
>>
>>82973898
Nickelodeon was going to either do 3 straight to DVD animated movies, or the feature film

Guess which one Bryke voted for
>>
>>82973662
You're missing the point. The reason this episode is bad is not because Jeong Jeong taught Aang to burn his girlfriend, it's bad because Avatar Roku came from the spirit world to convince Jeong Jeong to teach Aang how to burn his girlfriend. And THEN, knowing that Aang was going to fail without the other three elements, Jeong Jeong gave him a test that is designed to fail for natural born Firebenders let alone unstable juvenile avatars, and leaves him to his own devices in the process. You can't argue that Jeong Jeong was infallible if he was careless in teaching someone not to be careless.

>>82973736
>Fire is dangerous all of the time. Regular firebenders (I hope) are taught this from the get-go.

Which furthers my point. There's no way Ruko and Jeong didn't know that was going to happen, so for Ruko to actively encourage it and for Jeong to neglect it is ridiculous.

>>82973878
You know as I recalled the episode, I was wondering why Zuko and Zhao were working together.

Guess they weren't, well that explains that.
>>
Absolutely nothing wrong with this episode.
>>
>>82970024
Eh, I honestly hated Avatar Day more
>>
>>82973977

Well shit. Just..shit.
>>
>>82973941
Bumi? Iroh?
>>
>>82974016
I'm not arguing that Jeong Jeong was infallible. Are you really that bad at reading comprehension? Jesus fuck.

Your complaints boil down to "Roku and Jeong Jeong were fallible". I am saying that this is not a valid complaint, and that they were intentionally portrayed as fallible, and that you are autistic or similarly deranged for expecting them to be infallible.
>>
>>82971940
It's pretty meh. I can see them working as a couple a few years down the road but it's just weird. Zuko and Katara honestly had more chemistry, but I like Zuko/Mei more so I'm not peeved they didn't get together.

>>82973977
The feature film wasn't conceptually a bad idea. Season 1 actually lends itself really well to a film length retelling, and I can see it being big if done well.

Of course, it was done atrociously.
>>
>>82974210
>The episode's not bad because it was meant to be bad

Okay, let's assume that the writers contrasted Jeong Jeong and Roku with the intentions of making neither of them right. Let's assume that developing a reason for the avatar to learn the elements in order was not just a cheap cop out to explain the Gaang travel in the order they did. Let's assume that somehow mastering earthbending would prevent Aang from failing the test designed to be failed. Then, let's assume that this episode isn't shit because you're a newfag and you think calling people autistic will make you right even though your argument is, well, autistic.
>>
>>82973977
>Guess which one Bryke voted for

I honestly have no idea. More importantly, why would they have any real input? I can't imagine them being savvy enough to negotiate a contract where they retain any control over their original IP.
>>
>>82974486
>Okay, let's assume that the writers contrasted Jeong Jeong and Roku with the intentions of making neither of them right.

I don't think we need to assume that, since it was clearly demonstrated by the events of the episode.

> Let's assume that developing a reason for the avatar to learn the elements in order was not just a cheap cop out to explain the Gaang travel in the order they did.

It probably was a cop-out. How does that make the episode bad?

>Let's assume that somehow mastering earthbending would prevent Aang from failing the test designed to be failed.

Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. How does that have any bearing on the quality of the episode in question?

>Then, let's assume that this episode isn't shit because you're a newfag and you think calling people autistic will make you right even though your argument is, well, autistic.

Someone's triggered.
>>
>>82974606
>since it was clearly demonstrated by the events of the episode

Showing a situation where everyone involved is wrong and the correct answer is never revealed is bad writing.

>It probably was a cop-out. How does that make the episode bad?

A cop-out is an example of lazy writing, which is what makes the episode bad

>Maybe it would, maybe it wouldn't. How does that have any bearing on the quality of the episode in question?

Because if it wouldn't there's no point for Jeong Jeong's warning in the first place, which means the cop-out (which is bad writing) is a shitty cop-out at that.

>Someone's triggered

Heartbroken.
>>
>>82970024
I was 16-17 when this came out....god I miss the days when a shitty avatar episode was the only real worry I had. Now i just wish that meteor or Quasar Pulse would hurry up already
>>
>>82975280
The fuck are you on about? Jeong Jeong insulted Aang and by correlation, Roku. That's what pissed off Roku and forced Jeong Jeong to teach Aang, even though they both knew this was the wrong way to go about it. So what does Jeong Jeong do? Well, when you get a 50+ year old elusive criminal who has mastered one of the most dangerous arts pissed off by bullying them into teaching a snot nosed kid who can't even wipe his own ass properly, yeah, shit's going to go down.
>>
>>82975725
How is telling Aang he needs to learn the elements in order for the sake of the world an insult? Sure he wasn't too nice about it, but hey "50+ year old elusive criminal who has mastered one of the most dangerous arts" and all.

For Avatar Roku (who is DEAD, mind you) to be insulted by some good advice, insulted enough to channel through Aang and do something as out of character as bully someone unjustly is still bad writing.

You can look at it however you want, the episode, albeit entertaining, is poorly written and therefore bad.
>>
File: 1454972217675.png (246 KB, 704x384) Image search: [Google]
1454972217675.png
246 KB, 704x384
So we can all agree that

AangxToph

KataraxZuko

was the way it should have gone?

It was so OBVIOUS

HOW DID THEY DROP THE BALL SO HARD

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT

YES still mad after all these years
>>
I didn't watch this show until after it ended, and I loved it enough to binge it pretty hard, but the hate for this episode was so strong I skipped it entirely at first. I went back to it after and eh, whatever. It exists, it's not offensive.
>>
File: ep56-1120.png (319 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
ep56-1120.png
319 KB, 720x480
>>82971238
The Painted Lady was probably the only episode off the top of my head where the characterization bothered me.

Katara lies to the group and throws off the schedule for the most important mission they've ever had and everyone's just sort of fine with it.

Wanting to help the village is all well and good, but it bothers me when Sokka's treated as the bad guy when he's the only one with logic behind his argument.
>>
File: avatar alt.jpg (214 KB, 1600x908) Image search: [Google]
214 KB, 1600x908
>>82976190

I thought Toph had way better chemistry with Sokka. I really hope he's Lin's father.

Frankly Aang had more chemistry with the various lolis-of-the-week. I agree about Katara and Zuko, though
>>
>>82976112

Jeong Jeong and Roku were both right. Roku gave Jeong that advice specifically so Aang would fuck up and learn a lesson, one he used to great effect against Zhao at the end of the episode.
>>
>>82971415
>>82971415
>The episode did absolutely nothing for me.

WANG
FIRE
>>
>>82976965
>Toph doesn't know what her shirt says
>>
File: 1461977303958.jpg (39 KB, 397x303) Image search: [Google]
1461977303958.jpg
39 KB, 397x303
>>82970024
>11 years
FUCK
>>
>>82976190
LiterallyanyoneintheseriesexceptforKataraxZuko is the superior pairing
>>
File: tumblr_n4qwl50JJg1r9nd1wo1_400.jpg (22 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n4qwl50JJg1r9nd1wo1_400.jpg
22 KB, 400x300
>people still think the Great Divide is the worst episode
>not Avatar Day or the Painted Lady

At least the Great Divide had a simpler premise and took place when there weren't various priorities.
>>
>>82973274
That's not a bad episode. Zhao destroying his own ships shows the worst aspects of firebending without maturity and Aang got a taste of that. He wasn't emotionally ready for the responsibility because he treated firebending like a game like he did air and waterbending.

He actually did benefit from learning Earthbending before fire because it was hard for him to learn, he had to change his approach to bending, and earth is also somewhat more dangerous to use like when Sokka was stuck underground and Toph told Aang not to try anything.

Jeong Jeong tried to teach Aang the basics and Aang just sort of ignored most of what he said.
>>
Worst episode of that show for me was Painted Lady.

Out of place environmental message
Weird quirky got with annoying quirk was prominently presented for humor.
The whole spirit thing.

I think there was a better way they could have shown that the fire nation didn't give a shit about the wellbeing of its colonies.
>>
It really wasn't THAT bad.
>>
File: eugh.png (21 KB, 304x344) Image search: [Google]
eugh.png
21 KB, 304x344
>>82976965
>Toph
>shoes
>>
>>82974046

>That was a great episode. Why do people dislike it?
>>
File: fire9-502.jpg (201 KB, 720x480) Image search: [Google]
fire9-502.jpg
201 KB, 720x480
Behold, the actual worst episode.
>>
>>82983418
MY ROYAL PARTS ARE SHOWING
>>
>>82970024
Better episode than the finale.
>>
>11 years

Christ, but this episode just followed an oriental kind of folk tale. Don't see what the fuss is about. It was just simple.
>>
File: On-ji 2.jpg (114 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
On-ji 2.jpg
114 KB, 960x720
>>82971238

The Headband is a great episode.

>Sokka as Wang Fire
>First real look at life in the Fire Nation
>Team Avatar getting Fire Nation outfits
>That awesome dancing music
>That qt Fire Nation girl
>Katara goes from 8/10 to 10/10

Yeah, the Footloose part was kinda silly, but otherwise a great episode.
>>
>>82981131
>Avatar Day
Wow, anon, such shit taste out of you today
>>
REMEMBER THE ABRIDGED SERIES?
>>
>>82972197
>If they had actually gone with Zutara... I don't even know what I'd think.

Yeah, Bryke would never go with a crack ship by giving it a few hints in the last season and then suddenly making it canon at the end, despite the long-running relationship between the show's male and female leads.
>>
>>82970308

The NC top 11 worst episodes was pretty accurate except for

>The Boiling Rock Part 1
>The Serpent's Pass
>The Waterbending Masters
>The headband
>>
>>82971732
You need those 2 episodes early in S3 because it's the viewer's first exposure to the actual Fire Nation. It's not just all war-mongering army folks; the regular citizens are just as much victims of their own people as anyone else.

Plus, On Ji a cute, Katara/Aang cave dance was hot, and great one liners and Wang Fire.
>>
File: 000.jpg (146 KB, 696x1024) Image search: [Google]
000.jpg
146 KB, 696x1024
>>82971940
I swear to god I'll do it.
>>
>>82976190
This >>82983786 is for you, buddy.
>>
>>82981131
Avatar Day is really stupid but at least it's fun. The Great Divide is dull, and it comes at just the time when the story should be starting to pull together and head towards the season finale.
>>
>>82976965
>I wanna see you naked on webcam
What kind of shirt is that
It's not even witty
It's just uncomfortable
>>
Still mad they didn't tell us what happened to Zuko's mom.
>>
>>82983892
She birthed Zuko, anon. She most likely died of internal bleeding 'cause of the edge.
>>
>>82983892
After reading the comics I'm glad they didn't
>>
>>82983892
I sincerely wish that we never got the comic explaining it.
>>
AtLA had no weak episodes. I have seen them all and not a single one is low quality in any significant enough way to be called bad or weak. Just because it didn't push the story foward or was a self contained does not equal bad. /co/ truly has gotten bitter if they resort to trying to bash avatar episodes.
>>
>>82983892
Turns out she was a massive bitch
>>
>>82983786
FUCKING DO IT.
>>
>>82983596
People just get autistic about Aang doing something that's morally reprehensible (lying), even if it was for the greater good.
And it doesn't advance the larger plot.

I don't mind it personally.
>>
>>82973977
>implying Bryke have any input into where Viacom invests hundreds of millions of dollars
If you believe his for even one second, it shows you have absolutely no idea of how the the industry works or how much say creators actually have.
The real story was that after LoK S1, Bryke approached Nick to pitch an ATLA TV movie about the search for Zuko's Mother, and they were turned down by Nick in favour of another season of LoK.

>"While we were working on Book 1 of Korra, Bryan and I pitched a TV movie version of the search for Zuko’s mom to Nickelodeon. They weren’t interested in doing animated TV movies, and chose to pick up Book 2 of Korra instead"
https://mikedimartinostory.com/2013/03/20/you-really-want-to-know-what-happened-to-zukos-mom/
>>
>>82976190
No Aang and Toph had no chemistry or even any significant interaction after the two episodes that introduced her.
If you want to ship based on actual chemistry, then the end game is Aang/Zuko.
Toph had her best chemistry with Sokka, and her episodes with Katara were pretty good, and Katara and Sokka already played well off each other.
So you've got one gayship and one incestuous ménage à trois. Happy?
>>
>>82983361
>entire town have been stupid bitter assholes literally for generations, to the point of being flat out corrupt
>still get saved
>ending feels like they still didn't really learn anything
>will probably find something else to continue being stupid assholes about
Only really funny part I can remember is when Sokka flat out says they're the worst town
>>
>>82981131
Avatar Day at least has some great comedic moments and the Zuko/Iroh sub story was magnificent.
That's something people tend to forget, even if the Team Avatar stuff is lacking in some of these episodes, what Zuko is doing often more than makes up for it.
>>
>>82970024
It was just mediocre, really. I'm with those saying it basically just looks bad in comparison to the rest of the show.
>>
>>82970024
When I first saw this discussed on /co/, I was disgusted and surprised. Here was one of my favourite episodes of season 1 apparently hated. It was funny, showed Aang acting like an Avatar, and helped build some of the world of the series.

I honestly don't understand /co/'s problem with this episode and never will. You guys have shit taste, collectively.
>>
>>82970024
It is 100% the worst episode in the series but that says a lot about the quality of AtLA in general cause this eps is still fairly watchable.
>>
>>82984486
But it really wasn't. Avatar Day, The Painted Lady and even the first episode were all less enjoyable than this episode.
>>
>>82970024
The one thing I absolutely love about The Great Divide is that middle part of the episode where Aang sends Katara and Sokka to try and figure out what both tribes are like.
The whole segment goes on for needlessly long, where the writers, for some reason, felt it necessary to tell us virtually the same origin story TWICE, one after the other, making it blatantly obvious what to the audience what the issue is and as soon as Aang gets the siblings to relay what they learned, they start bickering. Aang doesn't take what they have to say on board like the wise arbitrator he's playing, he just immediately gets pissed with them and basically says "Shut up, this plan was stupid. You're stupid." And disregards the previous 10 minutes of the episode and gains absolutely nothing from the effort.
It's such an huge mess in terms of writing and wasting the audiences time that it comes off like one long, convoluted joke and it absolutely cracked me up when I first saw it.
>>
>dissing an episode with Odo in it
>>
>>82973941

>Bumi
>Iroh
>Sokka's swordmaster
>Katara's grandma
>Bato
>Roku
>WANG FIRE

Did you even watch the show?
>>
>>82984769
Not really. I mostly skipped to the action scenes.
>>
>>82983418

I only hate this episode because of how frequently it'd air on Nicktoons Network back in the day

It was entertaining the first time or two but the rest just made me change channels immediately
>>
>>82984789

If you're being sarcastic you're not very good at it
>>
Three BEST ATLA episodes then:
>Lake Laogai
>Siege of the North
>The Boiling Rock
>>
File: 1375165456796.jpg (47 KB, 283x426) Image search: [Google]
1375165456796.jpg
47 KB, 283x426
>>82984403
>twinkletoes
>no chemistry

mm-hmm
>>
File: AangS1E15.png (342 KB, 655x685) Image search: [Google]
AangS1E15.png
342 KB, 655x685
>>82976800
>the only episode off the top of my head where the characterization bothered me.
Reminder that Aang withheld information about Katara and Sokka's dad
>>
>>82970140
We already got that from that episode where Aang lied to Sokka and Katara about that letter because he was afraid they would leave him.
>>
>>82985645
that was great characterization, he was still a stupid kid at that point in season 1, didn't want to be abandoned again, learned his lesson
>>
>>82985572
It's true though.
After the Earthbender-wrestling episode and the Earthbending Training episode, Toph and Aang hardly ever interact and never in any kind of memorable way.
>>
>>82985500

The Crossroads of Destiny
Siege of the North
Lake Laogai
>>
File: sokka thumbs up.jpg (17 KB, 371x480) Image search: [Google]
sokka thumbs up.jpg
17 KB, 371x480
>>82985500
>Lake Laogai
My hotman!
>>
>>82970024
Happy birthday the great divide
>>
>>82985795
>That speech from Iroh to Zuko

goddamn that was based
>>
>>82985983
>"Who are you? And what do YOU want?"
Fucking shivers, dude.
>>
>>82985983
>That room where they brainwashed all the Jo Dees
>>
File: 1444347147057.png (70 KB, 210x227) Image search: [Google]
1444347147057.png
70 KB, 210x227
>>82986057
>>82986036
>>82985983
>Jet's death
That fucking episode
>>
>>82986096
I actually finished watching tla a couple of months ago and literally had to ask a friend 'wait is Jett dead or what?'.

I laughed my ass of when they made a joke about that in that recap episode.
>>
eh
>>
>>82985715
Hnn. I'll admit it's been at least four years since I last saw it. Maybe you're right.
>>
>>82986497
It is kind of weird when you think about it, Toph and Sokka got paired up all the time
>>
>>82983786
Anon.
But the gun down.
>>
>>82986518
Aang got good moments with everyone apart from Toph, Toph got some paired up with Sokka and Katara mostly.
Still, Aang and Toph have more going on than Zuko and Toph.
We're 4 years and 12 comics into the Dark Horse Avatar series and Toph and Zuko have still yet to share any dialog with each other.
>>
File: 8E.jpg (129 KB, 1042x768) Image search: [Google]
8E.jpg
129 KB, 1042x768
>>82983708
I see what you did there anon.
>>
>>82970024
Painted Lady was worse

At least Great Divide had the excuse of the show still trying to find its mojo, not to mention that they couldn't use Zuko and Zhao as antagonists for the gaang in every episode.

Painted Lady was a terrible attempt of making a "green episode" in a show that tends to avoid making generic cartoon episodes, made worse by Sokka repeatedly trying to move the plot forward but getting dragged back into that hick village by Katara, not to mention how right he was in that the best way to help Fire Nation villagers was by overthrowing their oppresive regime rather than by risking getting their cover blown.

And this one happened after the series had already reached its peak.
>>
>>82971136
>That was when you realized that Bryke had run out of ideas for her.

They ran out of ideas for her after she invented metalbending.

Other than being the only one that knew how useful Zuko could be for their group in Western Air Temple, she did nothing in all of Book 3 other than being muscle and throwing sarcastic quips.
>>
>>82988384
And she didn't even get a field trip episode with Zuko.
>>
>>82971183
>>82971136
If he really means the Runaway, I'm completely baffled.
That episode was great.
>>
>>82971940
Eh, it was ok, nothing special nor terribly cringy. Which after seeing how badly LoK handled every single one besides Tenzin/Pema made me appreciate it a lot more.
>>
File: 1456435516854.jpg (32 KB, 545x362) Image search: [Google]
1456435516854.jpg
32 KB, 545x362
>>82970024
>tfw 2005 was 20 years ago
>>
>>82988335
Painted Lady was bad but in the name of fairness, if you can give Great Divide an excuse for being an early episode, then the Painted Lady should get an excuse for Nick forcing them to make a green episode, it wasn't by choice.
>>
>>82988593
You laugh now, but that will be reality before you know it.
>>
>>82974046
It has detective Sokka, Kyoshi backstory and Zuko/Iroh stuff. That automatically makes it better than Great Divide
>>
File: 13123.png (1 MB, 932x932) Image search: [Google]
13123.png
1 MB, 932x932
>tfw i haven't seen ATLA for so long, I can't recall any of the episodes being mentioned in this thread
>>
>>82988639
Time for a rewatch, Anon.
>>
File: sokka-and-suki.png (234 KB, 500x333) Image search: [Google]
sokka-and-suki.png
234 KB, 500x333
>>82971940
It was okay. The kiss at the end is a bit much but it never derailed the show or anything, there wasn't much there but it was okay.

Pic related is still the only romance that truly works in the whole franchise.
>>
>>82983418
The thing I dislike about this one is that it's one of the three Book 3 episodes besides the finale in which Ozai appears.

How the fuck do we have half a season of Zuko and Azula being in the same place as the reason for why they are so fucked up in the head but Aang has more screentime with him inside dreams while Zuko spent the whole time being miserable around Mai?
>>
File: Screenshot (4).png (148 KB, 1920x1047) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (4).png
148 KB, 1920x1047
>>82988652
Too busy with work (even now)
>>
>>82988639
You're lucky, you can rewatch it.
I still have ever moment etched into the innermost workings of my mind from rerun exposure.
>>
>>82988685
Same, I've seen the series like, 15 times at least.
>>
>>82988665
Tbf Sokka was the best in the Gaang and Suki was best girl
>>
File: zutoph.png (148 KB, 333x250) Image search: [Google]
zutoph.png
148 KB, 333x250
>>82988523
And they haven't even spoken to each other in over 4 comic book trilogies and an entire sequel series in which they were both alive.
>>
>>82970024
Written by John O'Bryan

>>82971238
>The Headband
Written by John O'Bryan

>>82983418
Written by John O'Bryan

>>82981131
Written by John O'Bryan

Whether you agree that all of those are the worst episodes or not, John O'Bryan's episodes usually rub people up the wrong way for some reason or other.
I definitely rank him as the show's weakest regular writer, he also wrote the worst episode of MotorCity.

In his defense though, he has written some decent enough episodes, as well as The Library, which was a great one.
>>
>>82988955
He did write the jerkbending line so all its forgiven.
>>
>>82988866
>Toph is always hugging someone's arm just to get around
>On most terrain she can get along just fine
>She does it because she fucking loves it
>>
>>82970024
Still better than Sozin's Comet.
>>
>>82990080

>Sozin's Comet
>Bad

Hang yourself
>>
>>82990080
weak b8
>>
File: Ty Lee 29.jpg (74 KB, 960x720) Image search: [Google]
Ty Lee 29.jpg
74 KB, 960x720
Suddenly Ty Lee
>>
>>82990463
>>82990327
Not bait. That finale was absolute trash. The resolution hinges on not one but TWO gigantic asspulls.
>>
>>82990635

Regardless of what you say about the deus ex machina, everything else was completely solid.

>That reclaiming of Ba Sing Se
>That final Agni Kai
>That whole phase with Sokka, Toph, and Suki hijacking the entire air fleet
>The Aang vs. Ozai fight (still managed to be one of the best fights in the series)

If you think Great Divide is better because you didn't like a few details that pale in the face of an otherwise good finale you're retarded.
>>
>>82991628
It's an extremely solid finale but you can't help nitpicking it after rewatching it a lot of times.

>That reclaiming of Ba Sing Se
Why the fuck did the old people waste their army reclaiming a city that Zuko could have given back to the Earth Kingdom after he became firelord? Why did they leave Ozai's fleet of nukes to two non-benders and a blind girl? and why did they wait until the day where all firebenders get a 100x powerboost to reclaim Ba Sing Se when they only have two firebenders in the OWL?

>That final Agni Kai
I know that Zuko's character development isn't about powerlevels and that him taking a bullet for a friend means more than winning a fight, but man, Katara getting to be the one to finish off Azula while Zuko just gets thrown into the sidelines still pisses me off.

>The Aang vs. Ozai fight (still managed to be one of the best fights in the series)
I'm actually ok with the lion turtle, my biggest problem here is the magical chyropractor rock, and that Ozai was never developed as a character in the entire book despite finally showing his face in the premiere and doing such a great job with Zhao and Azula in the other seasons.
>>
>>82991628
The ending revolved around those two DEM.

Great Divide is cliche but it's not even the worst episode of the first season.
>>
>>82992103

>The ending revolved around those two DEM

Way to repeat something that was already addressed
>>
>>82988955
>john o'bryan

Is this like a penname for Michael and Bryan?
>>
>>82992326
It wasn't really addressed. The "everything else" was dressing. The actual meat of the story was trash.

It's like getting a plate of frosting with no cake underneath.
>>
>>82983786
I'd do it if I weren't going to work in an hour. Come on, don't be a cunt.
>>
File: footloose.gif (946 KB, 500x245) Image search: [Google]
footloose.gif
946 KB, 500x245
>>82970106
When I think about it, there isn't a single episode of ATLA that I dislike. I mean I'll say that the Great Divide was kind of meh, but that's as bad as it gets for me. Now Korra on the other hand...
>>82971167
Maybe Cave of Two Lovers or Painted Lady.
>>
File: 1446426419601.jpg (68 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
1446426419601.jpg
68 KB, 300x300
>>82992443

Except realistically, the two DEM only take up some of the ending and don't even account for anything even close to a majority, not even half. Those specific two only existed to be a means to an end to Aang's battle with Ozai and nothing more.

To say the entire conclusion revolved around them is just delusional. And you know this is true exactly because nothing of importance that happened before or after them occurs exclusively around them.

>b-but it's the main fight

Even within the contents of the battle itself, the two DEM don't override everything else that made it.

Quit exaggerating.
>>
>>82992855

Also even assuming for arguments' sake that they WERE bad enough to somehow ruin the episode from your perspective, it's just retarded to think the entirety of Sozin's Comet had less running for it than The Great Divide of all episodes.

Your argument is that Great Divide was just cliche, but even if it was cliche that doesn't stop it from being a badly executed kind of cliche. Sozin's Comet regardless of every problem you could drag out from it still pales its negatives in comparison to an entire episode of childish, half-brained bickering.

For crying out loud at least Sozin's Comet had a ton of good action scenes and some brilliant pieces of dialogue. Great Divide doesn't have a single redeeming quality.

And no, Aang lying in order to establish peace isn't redeeming in any way, it's just in its own right a neat part.
>>
>>82992403
Bad things are allowed to happen that aren't Bryke's fault, Anon.
>>
File: 1445656859133.jpg (95 KB, 295x287) Image search: [Google]
1445656859133.jpg
95 KB, 295x287
>>82983786

Do it. DO IT
>>
>>82992855
The two DEM are the core plot points of the finale. Everything else revolves around them.

If your ending doesn't work, your story doesn't work.
>>
>>82994927
>If your ending doesn't work, your story doesn't work.

Wrong.
>>
>>82983786
Is it Hammer time?
>>
>>82970024
fuck, i am getting old
>>
File: 911.png (213 KB, 442x341) Image search: [Google]
911.png
213 KB, 442x341
Azula should have gotten her own show.
>>
>>82997130
She only works as a foil I Zuko
>>
>>82986202
The Ember Island Players was GOAT as far as meta jokes go
> Wait, did Jet die?
> I don't know, they were very unclear about that.

It was also kind of a middle finger to M. Night's garbage adaptation.
>>
File: tumblr_m7uvwp1oy11r6l2gjo1_500.jpg (34 KB, 500x420) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_m7uvwp1oy11r6l2gjo1_500.jpg
34 KB, 500x420
>>82997830
Then give Zuko/Azula their own show.
Firecest is the best Zuko pairing.
>>
>>82998321
Zuko only wants Aang or his Mom
>>
>>82998301
>It was also kind of a middle finger to M. Night's garbage adaptation.

It aired like 2 years before Shamalama's movie was even a thing.
>>
File: h3MzBuZ.jpg (1018 KB, 3300x2550) Image search: [Google]
h3MzBuZ.jpg
1018 KB, 3300x2550
>>82998701
Azula should just rape him and be done with it. Especially since Zuko now has a new sister.
>>
>>82970024
that's the only episode of TLA I remember, its a good one
>>
>>82976190
This is NaruxSaku tier delusional
>>
I didn't hate it. It was pretty weak, but tolerable.

>>82985655
the moral in those two episodes isn't the same.

>>82983786
Do it, faggot.
You'd better create a separate thread so we can all grab our popcorn.
>>
>>82970190
> The Great Divide
> perfectly fine

pick one
>>
>>82971312
yeah The Headband is great!
>>
>>83000018
It was pretty great until it became a complete Footloose ripoff.

Onji a cute
>>
>>82990635
Nigga fuck you. That shit was one of the hypest parts of my childhood, waiting for that to happen finally.
>>
>>83000155
You're damn right it was.
>>
People only shit on Zutara for the yuks and to inspire anger; everyone knows it's objectively the best OTP
>>
>>83003440
It's shit
>>
>>83003440
Face it.

It's nearing a decade since you lost.

Deal with it.
>>
File: 33.png (745 KB, 547x820) Image search: [Google]
33.png
745 KB, 547x820
>>83003440
Zuki is superior
>>
>>83003862
Also shit
>>
>>82998729
They knew.
>>
>>83004107
How the fuck did they know when shooting hadn't even fucking started?
>>
>>83003440
It's the Korrasami prequal ship. So obviously it's complete trash and anyone who support it are delusional.
>>
>>82970024
And it's still better than every episode of Korra.
>>
>>83003638
your face is shit
>>
>>82983853

Says you.
Thread replies: 237
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.