[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How come the 90's and early 2000 shows had such great designs
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3
File: Promo_tiny_toon_.jpg (45 KB, 325x376) Image search: [Google]
Promo_tiny_toon_.jpg
45 KB, 325x376
How come the 90's and early 2000 shows had such great designs and animation when in comparison to the 2010-current CN shows? What the fuck is happening right now?
>>
>>82966380
One word.

MONEY
>>
>>82966380
Well, not "great", but more like "copying the classics which were great". More modern shows tend to come up with designs from scratch. Hence the noodle arms and super primitive faces.

Also, you should watch some GOOD modern cartoons. Perhaps you missed at lot.
>>
TMS became way too expensive to hire anymore.

American animation of this generation has always been mediocre at best. Japan consistently kicks our ass at this stuff and society doesn't care to do anything about it.
>>
>>82966808
You do realize it was more than just TMS that did Tiny Toons right?
>>
>>82966735
What the fuck does that even mean?

Plus, what other good modern shows? Like I understand some of the cool shit like Camp Lazlo and Sym Biotic Titan.
>>
>>82967046
Of course he does.
>>
>>82966808
The only Korean studios to even try in this day of age are Moi & Mir and those 2 fail badly anyway.
>>82967046
Yes, but they had things the others lacked.
>>
>>82966380
Current shows seems to be more experimental. 90s cartoons were more formulaic and played off older franchises. Tiny Toons, Rescue Rangers, Tale Spin, Ducktales, and several others were based directly off older cartoons and so drew a lot of popularity based entirely on that fact.

Also, they were frequently animated fairly poorly. Go back and watch a number of them, and you'll notice. Heck, Animaniacs is still great, but it's animation tended to vary A LOT. The best part of the show were the musicals, the educations parts, and the humor... not the animation or necessarily the design.
>>
>>82970568
>not the animation or necessarily the design.
Except the TMS & Startoons episodes.
>>
>>82966380
Money, muh boi.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/interest/2016-04-13/animaniacs-freakazoid-producer-credits-pokemon-for-wb-cartoon-decline/.101008
Tom said it best.

>Kids WB was handed Pokémon for free and it pulled down big numbers -- so then they wanted everything for free.
>>
>>82966380
>budgets because of bail outs.
they know they can literally draw shit and still market it because
>muh expressionalism. It's abstract art used to express some metaphor I made up so no-one can criticize my art.
>>
>>82973963
No, just being cheap.

Even Korra was cheaper then the first Avatar.
>>
jews.

it's always jews.

especially in media.
>>
Honestly, it was probably south park showing you could make an absolutely dogshit looking show that depended on the writing and people would absoluteluly love it that was the biggest game changer.

Seriously, after south park hit it big was when all the shows started looking pretty bad. And I love south park.
>>
File: Pikachu Buneary butt.jpg (39 KB, 450x340) Image search: [Google]
Pikachu Buneary butt.jpg
39 KB, 450x340
>>82973911
YFW "Doing it for free." was wat literally killed decent animation in the west..
>>
>>82966380
Computers got smaller and more user friendly.
>>
>>82979225
At lease we got SJ out of it.
>>
>>82980148
>SJ
I don't follow, that could literally be anything

Superjail?
>>
Computer animation got cheaper and people not caring about how shitty and soulless it looks
>>
>>82966808
It's a shame we won't ever get to see Western animation done by TMS again. Actually, is the TMS of today even anything like the TMS of back then anymore?
>>
>>82987511
Probably not.
>>
>>82966380
>How come the 90's and early 2000 shows had such great designs
>great designs
Eh.
Ehh.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.