[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Well that was shit
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5
File: 250px-Blackholecover.jpg (27 KB, 250x350) Image search: [Google]
250px-Blackholecover.jpg
27 KB, 250x350
Well that was shit
>>
>>82952593
Cute comic girl almost convinced me to get this a good while back. Super happy I didn't. Sounds like more teen pandering trash.
>>
File: 1463260561541.jpg (23 KB, 500x380) Image search: [Google]
1463260561541.jpg
23 KB, 500x380
>>82952593
I liked it
>>
>>82952593
It started out pretty good. It feels like they just didn't know where to go with it.
>>
>>82952593
Was it though, anon?. *Was* It?
>>
>>82952593
This is that comic that shows puberty as some sort of mutating illness, right? What is it with the American obsession with youth? Not just high school, but the teen years in general. I don't know of any other culture that worships teenagers the way American culture does. Let alone the obsession with teenagers having sex. We all grow up on American media, so we don't think about it. Hell, we think the American depictions are normal, and that WE are the freaks. But as I've gotten older, I've noticed more and more how pathological this obsession is, and it's beginning to annoy me in media.

Maybe someone should make a comic about the phenomenon.
>>
>>82952865
Went through the whole thing waiting for it to get good or just have a plot... Never happened...
>>
>>82952593

This is bait.
>>
>>82952932
I'm not OP, but I see where he's coming from. Not everyone has to like what you like. It's a shitty opening post, sure. But then don't respond. Ironic baitposting is still baitposting.
>>
>>82952593
I don't know man, there's a pretty good recipe for a bologna sandwich in there.
>>
>>82952923

because they spend the most, its just capitalism anon
>>
File: 1457156271626.jpg (72 KB, 600x565) Image search: [Google]
1457156271626.jpg
72 KB, 600x565
>>82952593
I know it;s not for everyone but I loved it.

Did you at least enjoy the part where the dude fucks a chick with a tail?
>>
>>82953008
That's a copout explanation. Teens aren't wealthy, and shitloads of the material appeals to older people. Then you have shit like high school football, which is treated like a serious sport. You know how high school sports are treated in the rest of the world? It's a few kids on a muddy field with shitty bleachers, if there are bleachers at all.

You can't deny America has an obsession with teens that can't just be explained away by capitalism. The entire fucking world is capitalist, yet this shit is unique to America.
>>
>>82953085
Teens spend most amount of time consuming media

Which is why most of the media is geared towards them
>>
>>82953033
>Did you at least enjoy the part where the dude fucks a chick with a tail?

That's pretty vanilla for 4chan, really.
>>
>>82953113
Again, this does not explain why the same is not true for other countries. There is some sort of cultural motivator here that can not be explained away by some generalist notion, because we would see the same bloody thing all over the Western world, at the very least. But we don't.
>>
File: morose saladfingers.jpg (31 KB, 387x467) Image search: [Google]
morose saladfingers.jpg
31 KB, 387x467
>trying to think of good western horror comics artist

Al Columbia... Al... Al Colum.... No god he can't be the only one...
>>
>>82953150
Perhaps because America is a media giant?
>>
>>82953150

Because America is more capitalist especially in their media
>>
>>82952923

Okay look. It just didn't work for me. Those kids were uninteresting and annoying. I never connected with any of them. Am I too old? I loved Holden Caulfield so I think not. Holden at lest had a personality. Here I just cringed at their first world problems though the shitty dialogue and in your face symbolism. I bought this having no idea of what it was about hearing only praise for it. I want my money back.
>>
>>82952923
Japan
>>
>>82953247
Catcher in the Rye was intended for adults, though. And it's from the early 1950's, which is a much different time. In part, I think that's it. Black Hole takes place in 1973, and I think it's central themes are intrinsically linked to that time. I haven't read it, and I wouldn't consider it, because I know its themes do not connect with me. Like you said, first world problems. A comic about the horror of growing up and having relations with others? Please.

It kind of seems like the youth my mother had, but I never did, because I grew up in a different time. Of course, the people who grew up in that time commit the fallacy of thinking that their odd-one-out time period is universal to everyone.

And for me, it'll always be a pretentious comic. The first time I saw it was in a book store, not a comic book store. I was already an avid comics reader at the time, and I checked out the display. There was a leaflet, and it made it very, VERY clear that graphic novels were NOT comics. And then it went on to explain how to read comics in the most harebrained way possible. I still looked at Black Hole, because it's an astronomical term and I loved sci-fi. I saw pages full of kids talking to each other. So I put it back down again. I didn't talk that much as a kid. Let alone to other kids. And at this point, I was still young enough to be equivalent to the characters.
>>
>>82953426
Catcher in the rye deals with the same themes of teen alienation. The difference is that one feelt genuine and the other vapid and pretentious.
Yeah the disease represents puberty we get it.
Yeah
>>
>>82953727
>The difference is that one feelt genuine and the other vapid and pretentious.

You say that like Holden Caulfield isnt't one of the whiniest bitches in literature.
>>
>>82954343
He's a likeable whiny hitch who I get where he comes from. Black hole characters aren't even characters. They're archetypes. Whose issues can't be taken as seriously as the author tries to.
>>
>>82953184
Ben Templesmith's art is pretty atmospheric.
>>
>>82954540
>likeable
Not even remotely. He's an insufferable cunt.
>>
>>82952593
Too bad for you.
>>
File: image.jpg (24 KB, 184x184) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
24 KB, 184x184
Fuck it, anyone read the X'ed out series yet?

I really enjoyed it, maybe even more than black hole
Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.