[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Real or Extreme?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5
File: 2903456-kyliegriffin05.jpg (121 KB, 603x450) Image search: [Google]
2903456-kyliegriffin05.jpg
121 KB, 603x450
Real or Extreme?
>>
File: 7957636512_9e6435cc4b_b.jpg (283 KB, 1024x789) Image search: [Google]
7957636512_9e6435cc4b_b.jpg
283 KB, 1024x789
>>82946774

While I love and respect GBTNG, those first two seasons of Real struck a lot of significant chords.
>>
>>82946774

Why couldn't we have gotten an extreme movie instead of the new one
>>
>>82947154
Cause as good as it was for the time, it's dated as fuck.
>>
>>82947154
because this is the age of reboots and extreme wouldn't sell itself solely on politics.
>>
Extreme for the new movie
>>
File: garret.gif (12 KB, 130x190) Image search: [Google]
garret.gif
12 KB, 130x190
Would this be seen as SJW pandering today?
>>
File: lets_go.jpg (110 KB, 490x188) Image search: [Google]
lets_go.jpg
110 KB, 490x188
>>82946774
Filmation.
>>
>>82947333

Oh, hell no. That guy was a cripple joke machine.
>>
>>82947333
Yes.

He was awesome though.
>>
File: wheels and legman.jpg (523 KB, 751x517) Image search: [Google]
wheels and legman.jpg
523 KB, 751x517
>>82947333
This too although the late 80s and 90s made some things with an all diverse cast.
>>
>>82947333
He's a fucking white male!
>>
>>82947333
Yeah, even if he was one of the better done handicapable 90s characters of the decade.
>>
>>82947333
It was at the time.

But he made up for it with sarcasm and the baddest attitude on the team.
>>
>>82947154
too spoopy for kids
>>
>>82946774
man i wish the new movie was about the extreme ghost busters.
dan aykroyd said on multiple occasions that he wants the third movie to be introducing a younger generations and pass the torch onto them.

the move could be two parts too.
the first is focused on the new ghostbusters settling in and maybe a tiny hint at stuff between kylie and eduardo.and they take on some small things and a big bad uber ghost. and the second part is basically "back in the saddle" where the og busters team up with the yunguns to fight off armaggeddon or something.
maybe even work in some love thingy between janine and egon.
>>
>>82946774
for the record.
this is the third movie for me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4usP1V8n8xQ

its very decent and has a lot of love put into it.
>>
>The girl just screamed and threw the trap
>The black guy just was smart
>The Mexican just did nothing
>The cripple just made jokes
Literally every episode of this show.
The ghost are what made it watchable.
>>
>>82947782
simple humor for a simple time.
no identity politics and racism was actually funny.
>>
>>82947333
While I do agree that they were able to flesh out his character and make him useful for the team I've always imagined that realistically ghosts could just tip him over or fly up some stairs and he would be useless.
>>
>>82948001
But if this were to ever happen he would just crack a one liner then do something daring or stupid.
>>
>>82948001
he did get tipped over a few times actually.
he just heaved himself back on or used the proton pack while lying down.
and hed just crack some one-liner.
>>
>>82947613
This. Extreme was fucked up. AND had a guy in a wheelchair.
I watch a lot of horror but people with disabilities just make me want to look away, you know?
>>
>>82947782
That's a bit simple, but they all got fleshed out pretty well over the run.
>Kylie got way into the occult after her grandmother died, she was a cheerleader before that. She buys into Egon's theories and really needs all of this stuff to be real for closure.
>Roland is from a poor family, is great with machines, and wants to be an Ivy League guy; he's the only level-headed person on the team who isn't easily swayed by shit.
>Eduardo's brother is a cop who hates the Ghostbusters, and Eduardo himself doesn't get much peace in his apartment. He's the laziest asshole on the team but most commonly the victim and the guy who goes above and beyond while being raped by cosmic horrors.
>Garrett is a cripple who used to be friends with a bunch of racists, only cares about being a hero and being in the action, constantly gets fucked over by his disability and makes his teammates uncomfortable by making jokes about it. He's an egotistical protagonist character who wouldn't be endearing if he wasn't self-deprecating.

By today's standards it'd probably come across as either pandering or supremely offensive material, but they were balanced. They weren't friends at the start, they were only friends after a dozen episodes of the shit; it was just an awesome job that made them all feel important and gave them what they wanted. Plus college credit and saving the day. Nobody was the best at any one thing, save for Roland; and only with the Ecto-1 (which would get caught in traffic at times and wasn't a huge plot element). They were a bunch of college kids, and it worked.

I liked it more than Real, but only for the sake of thematic cohesion. Real is fucking great, it is a lot of fun and it had some really cool choices made over its run. But Extreme was one-and-done, and it was consistently building up its own continuity and trying to be like a 90s version of the Ghostbusters movie; a lite-comedy with demons and monsters and shit. It wasn't ever trying to get a big laugh.
>>
>>82948594
Plus it helped that the monster designs could be pretty disturbing for the target demographic. You couldn't make a show like this anymore, it'd either go Adult Swim levels of "we have the power to be edgy and violent so we must use it" or be too soft and meh; also probably focusing on a bunch of arcs rather than treating it like a case by case show wherein mini-arcs happened but growth and continuity occurred.

The second new Ghostbusters trailer wasn't as horrible as the first, but still isn't great. It is cautiously passable at best. It feels like someone's Ghostbusters International game rather than a successor.

>>82947678
But the game has a story that makes sense for a potential Third Movie and honestly it is passable.

>>82947154
If they had to milk it into a series of films, do Darkness at Noon; but change Egon to Ray; and have them get booted back to the old firehouse after the old "I blew up part of the college" thing happens that he mentioned in Back in the Saddle.

Then do Back in the Saddle, in memory to Harold Ramis.
>>
>>82948594

For being a slacker that went to that class just for easy credit, Eduardo put a lot into ghostbusting as the show went on.

An asshole for sure (like, the way he used the ulgy witch at the end of the episode rubbed me the wrong way even as a kid), but he saved their asses so many times.

Not just from his own fuck ups, even.

The dude jumped in the sewers with a man-eating water ghost on his own.
>>
I fapped to Kylie as a kid
>>
>>82949353
i still do
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.