[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Venture Bros
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4
File: VENTURE TIME.jpg (1 MB, 1920x1082) Image search: [Google]
VENTURE TIME.jpg
1 MB, 1920x1082
So is this show any good? From what I've seen of it, it's pretty good, but not consistent. Is there a point where people realize "oh shit this is good" or is it just okay?
>>
Like season 3 is probably where people really get that it's something special. But it was always good.
>>
>>82944991
It's become GOAT by season 3.
>>
The appearance of Dr Orpheus is where it goes from good to great and the season 2 finale is when it becomes GOAT
>>
>>82944991
I wouldn't say there's an 'oh shit' moment. You progressively grow accustomed to its weaknesses (low budget, inconsistent animation and general production issues) and the sense of humor blossoms as time goes on. It grows on you because of its utter uniqueness and top tier writing. I don't know a single other cartoon where a few episodes require a next day rewatch for proper digestion.
>>
The first season is really rough but that's about it, also the only thing inconsistent about it is that there are very long gaps between season, the show debuted in 03 and its sixth season just ended
>>
>>82945467
Yeah, I noticed that. I watched the pilot last night and it was definitely rough, but you could definitely feel the love that went into it.

As for why I'm interested, I've seen bits and pieces of seasons 3-6, and i must say, it seems fun. I'm going to marathon the show starting tonight, so I hope I'm in for something good.
>>
>>82944991

>but not consistent

Over the six seasons the show has ran, it's displayed a frightening obsession with continuity. Character growth follows paths that are absurd, but reasonable within the context of the show.

If you're talking about the quality of the animation, yeah, the first season was a bit sketchy, in every meaning of the word. But it gets much, much better.

>>82945812

Oh. The pilot. Okay, yeah, I totally see what you mean.
>>
>>82945812
Yea first seasons are always rough, especially shows that aired in the past and you're trying to get to the good stuff.

Just stick it out, later on in the season the show gets much much funnier. The 2nd season will be where you get into it and from there on out, it's a breeze watching them.
>>
The first season is alright with some standouts. Season two and onward is consistently good and eventually the great episodes creep in and you get addicted. It's amazing how much the show has evolved and how much depth the characters get and just how many memorable characters there are.
>>
When do you think they'll end the show? I'm hoping they push it to 9 seasons.
>>
Appreciate the advice all. I'm starting up as soon as I get off from work. Looking forward to sitting down with a long running show again.
>>
>>82946267
7, they're already 50
>>
The first few seasons are really weird because it dabs it's feet into story arcs and what not, but it's really inconsistent. Once the writers finally decided they want the show to have a continuous plot then it becomes great.
>>
>>82946267
Hard to say, it's totally up to them I think, Adult Swim seems like they'll renew it as long as they want to keep going, the fanbase is pretty dedicated so I guess that helps the show stay profitable.
>>
>>82946267
I had no idea they were still making new episodes of this. I had to go and look this shit up

>Pilot Aired: February 16, 2003
>Most recent episode: March 20, 2016
>Number of seasons: 6

How the fuck has this show been on the air for 13 years and only has 6 seasons? What have they been doing? Why does it take so long? I remember watching this show around 07-08. I had no idea that it was still getting new episodes and that it was only on season 6
>>
It's my favorite show. Not my favorite cartoon, my favorite SHOW. It's amazing.
>>
IGNORE ME
>>
>>82946471
All of the show's creative work is conceived by only two people who are also auteur perfectionists who take their time, plus the budget and staff is small but the animation is excellent and one of them also is heavily involved in bands.
>>
>>82946323

How many of those story arcs never had any follow-up, though?

Seriously, almost everything from the first season was at least referenced in a minor nod, if not given major significance.

The first season's weird Bowie obsession even manages to become important.
>>
It has a kind of unique charm where every character in endearing in their own unique way, most characters can flip between straight man and joke roles depending on who they play off of, most every character is a smartass and the writing is snappy and breakneck meaning you will always discover you missed or forgot something on subsequent watches making it very good to rewatch, the characters grow and are flawed, sometimes ridiculously, but all grounded in the lore that likes to play up all the weird audacity that a world would have if it played like a Saturday morning cartoon.

And it never really panders into meme territory (quoting memes in a cringey way) except to show how strange such a thing works in real life. Even internal memes are made fun of like "GO TEAM VENTURE".

First season's kinda rough, kinda gives me Mission Hill vibes at times, and Brock's "kills and beds" sctick can get old, but the characters are amazing and it sets up so much ridiculous bullshit. Ghosts of the Sargasso and The Trial of The Monarch are still top watches for me.
>>
SPANIKOPITA!
>>
If your a music buff this show will make your dick rock hard.

The show makes reference to everything from Bowie, to Mike Oldfield to System of a Down.
>>
>>82946905
The show itself has great music
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2jyXep0Dgs
>>
File: goahead.jpg (24 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
goahead.jpg
24 KB, 480x360
>>
>>82946493
same here. I admit it's not great, but I love the hell out of it, even the episodes that aren't that funny I still find entertaining. It's most likely because of nostalgic reasons, though. Venture Bros was one of the first shows I watched on [adult swim]. I remember watching one of the first episodes when S1 aired back in 2004. Also, Rusty is one of those characters you love to watch suffer. I think I relate to him so well because we're both egotistical dickbags destined to suffer and we had a shitty father and brother who overshadowed him... Damn, I'm alot like Rusty.
>>
>>82946905
>Hey did you like changes?
>Dude yeah totally!!!
>of course you did, that's a greatest hits album, you poser!
>>
I think the guild is what really makes this show really special. I've never seen another show handle villains quite like this.
>>
File: 21 and 24.jpg (89 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
21 and 24.jpg
89 KB, 500x281
>>82947502
God, 21 and 24 are some of my favorite characters of all time.

It's truly one of the most pure bromances of all time, right up there with Scrubs.

>Dude, I barely believe you're real. I mean, if there were ghosts, they'd be freakin' everywhere!
> Eh, not necessarily. You can only haunt someone you were close to in life.
> And you chose me? Out of everything, you chose me?
>Uh, before you get all teary-eyed, I could only choose between YOU, and a cocoon that is constantly getting blown up.
>>
>>82947744
Awwh man, I miss the god ol' days when the Monarch actually had power and all that.

I should re-watch this soon.
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.