[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why are action/boys cartoons dead? They were so big in the early
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3
File: splash-yjtcats-600x375.jpg (42 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
splash-yjtcats-600x375.jpg
42 KB, 600x375
Why are action/boys cartoons dead? They were so big in the early 2000's
>>
>>82927220
They lost to anime.
>>
>>82927290
and video games
little boys are playing vidya
>>
Netflix is trying to get YJ from the response. Didio said WB are being a wall.
>>
>>82927220
They actually require animation
Easier to animate stuff like SU, Star etc. and focus on feels and """"character development"""

Also toxic masculinity is bad
>>
>>82927405
Source?
>>
Anime > *
>>
Because no toys.
>>
>>82927220
Because Mattel a shit.

Hasbro has its shit together in comparison, which is why Transformer is still around.
>>
>>82927220
>Why are action/boys cartoons dead?
Execs want something cheap to reproduce/animate and don't want to spend their money on something that, usually, doesn't belong to them.
>>
>>82927220
Because a few girls watched them too, and execs shat themselves.
>>
>>82927807

And Marvel. And Star Wars. And His Diminutive Equine.
>>
>>82927220
Because DUDE TOYS LAMO
>>
A few reasons
>More expensive to animate
>Toys are pretty much dead kids rather play video games
>Cape cartoons are restricted to what they can use by the parent companies
>Jeph loeb
>>
Nobody watches TV anymore. Also toys
>>
Literally feminism.
>>
>>82927484
All Didio said was DC's comic division wants YJ back on air but final say is WB animation.
>>
>>82927990
Please don't bring Comradery is Sorcery into this.
>>
>>82927290
>lost to anime
>literally the only anime left is Pokemon
K E K
>>
>>82927220

Young Justice wasn't a boy's cartoon.
>>
>>82928339
Ironic that CN don't do action cartoons but still care about Pokemon anime, a kids show that can be pretty violent at time.
>>
>>82928852
The difference is production costs. All they have to do is pay for VAs. It's kind of common sense that it would be easier for them to handle.
>>
>>82927220
Thundercats was utter shite. The first 2 episodes were flawed but passable, and it only nosedived from there.
>>
>>82927467
>Also toxic masculinity is bad
it's okay anon, you can just say you hate men
>>
File: Tracy Island sunset.gif (1 MB, 540x304) Image search: [Google]
Tracy Island sunset.gif
1 MB, 540x304
>>82927220
Because you ain't seen Thunderbirds Are Go yet.
>>
Lack of action cartoons is turning our children into pussies
>>
>>82927220
It's complicated, but it's a mix of high budgets, low demand, and several high-profile failures.
>>
>>82927220
>Thundercats

Still hurts. Just the tiniest bit.
>>
>>82931563
Well at least we wont sit through more Tygra wanking
>>
>>82927290
>>82927311
Both these things can deliver satisfying action. For one thing both mediums can show guns, blood, punches that connect onscreen to the FACE, etc.

Americans are pussies when it comes to action animation.
>>
>>82927220
Partly because live action productions that also appeal to people who wouldn't watch animated things.

Partly because streaming services have big backlogs of action cartoons that kids have access too.

The niche has been pared away a lot compared to ten and fifteen years ago.
>>
>>82927220
Because people bitch incessantly about serious stories when they make even a handful of missteps.

Just look at how /co/ keeps clamoring for this stuff, but despises the new DC animated movies.
>>
Aren't we getting a new JLA cartoon?
>>
Aside from Avatar and Spectacular Spider-Man, what other action cartoons have a continuous, serialized format, instead of loose episodic continuity?
>>
>>82931922
Action show but each episode is made up of shorts. Not long form like JLU or YJ,
>>
>>82930831
That was CNs fault.

They shitcanned the original writers and gave it to some autistic guy.
>>
>>82932102
I know a lot of people here are dreading that, but I'm curious about how they'll go about it. I'm expecting like a longer version of the cold openings from Brave and the Bold.
>>
>>82932007
Those both had episodic filler operating under a larger arc that would pull from that filler for plot participants and set pieces.

Under that, they are quite a lot.

The DCAU JLU
Tron Uprising
Teen Titans
Spider-Man: The Animated Series
MIB
Big Guy and Rusty
Motorcity
Randy Cunningham: 9th Grade Ninja
Iron Man
Iron Man: Armored Adventures
Batman: The Brave and the Bold
Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Avengers Assemble
Guardians of the Galaxy
Young Justice
Sym-Bionic Titan
Star Wars: Rebels
Legion of Superheroes
Pirates of the Dark Water
Scooby-Doo: Mystery Incorporated
The Venture Brothers
Jackie Chan Adventures
Beast Wars
Transformers: The Animated Series
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
Transformers: Prime
Wolverine and the X-Men
TMNT
New TMNT
Gargoyles
New Thundercats
Beast Machines
Storm Hawks
Slugterra

And others.
>>
>>82927220
pretty much what >>82927311 said
Little boys these days don't watch cartoons like they used to. They focus more on video games.
>>
>>82927467
Modern cartoons are targeted mainly to hipster and tumblrinas rather than actual children
>>
>>82927220
>why did they stop making half hour long animated commercials for toys?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FCC_regulations_on_children's_programming#Program-length_commercials
>>
>>82933120
>cartoons should be children's fair
Fuck you and your Animation Ghetto!
>>
>>82927220
Jack is back though...
>>
>>82927984
Basically this.
>>
>>82933218
See the thread, faggot
>>
>>82928852
I wouldn't even say they still care about Pokemon. They just pulled it completely from the weekday schedule, and the only remaining slot it has is 7:30am on Saturday mornings.

It is still on Boomerang twice a day, but no one cares about Boomerang anymore.
>>
File: yare yare doo.jpg (66 KB, 320x290) Image search: [Google]
yare yare doo.jpg
66 KB, 320x290
>>82933373

>tfw watched the entirety of the [adult swim] stream last night waiting for jack
>all I got were drunk people and genndy getting ignored and not even recognized by the interviewers

slay me senpai
>>
>>82927984
What's ironic is that now that's the exact demographic execs are trying to aim for. Turns out they like what guys like too, funny how that works.
>>
>>82932219
Yeah, probably. Two shorts format per episode?
>>
I swear to god, a GCPD cartoon is all I need.

Gotham is cool, but it just doesn't do it for me. The police-focused episodes of The Batman were pretty awesome.

I love procedural crime shows mixed with sci-fi.
>>
>>82927220
Because times change and we're not in the early 2000's anymore
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.