[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
http://www.cracked.com/article_2400 0_how-comic-book-industr
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 15
File: k8vEBoCW.jpg (24 KB, 748x748) Image search: [Google]
k8vEBoCW.jpg
24 KB, 748x748
http://www.cracked.com/article_24000_how-comic-book-industry-was-ruined-by-superhero-films.html

I don't usually agree with Cracked's opinion pieces much, but holy shit is this article spot on.
>>
PASTE BIN
A
S
T
E

B
I
N
>>
>>82923636
You are late we already knew movie sinergy ruins comics
>>
>posting Cracked shit
End yourself famalan.
>>
Gee I sure do love the time when Marvel was nearly bankrupt, every character had 2 billion pouches on their costume and the art was literally traced from stock photos and made in 3D blender rip offs.
>>
>>82923700
And let's not forget the masterful use of early digital coloring gradients!
>>
>>82923636
>comic book industry
>superhero films

Oh look, it's an american posting again.
>>
>>82923728
Is there a way to track European comic sales like comichron?
>>
>>82923636
> 2016
> reads comics
Cape movies are far superior than your dying medium.
>>
No, it was irreparably ruined when the two big companies that helped drive it into the ground were bought out by multimedia giants, ensuring they could continue to enact bad business practices eternally.
>>
Pretty much agree, even if I love MCU movies.
>>
>>82923768
In an ideal world, it would have been the best thing ever.
Comic sales are so negligible, that they can ignore them because the film IP is worth so much more.
They could use the comic division as a testing ground, sort of like a R&D department. Just write whatever you want for as long as you want because it doesn't matter.
Comic sales shouldn't matter to Disney or Warner Brothers. It can just be written as an investment for future film returns.
>>
>>82923636
copy it and post. i aint clicking a cracked link
>>
>>82923764
This is a new one
>>
>>82923700
>every character had 2 billion pouches

The 90's were a better time for the Big 2 than the 2000's or the 2010's
>>
Cracked is dead to me
>>
>>82923946
Not really. Marvel struggling hovering near bankruptcy DC was bought by Warner Bros a long ass time ago.
>>
>>82923636
This article is fire and I'm only one item in
How the fuck do they let people make comic book movies that don't enjoy the comic?
>>
>>82923875
I'm surprised they don't. Comics make so little money that the entire ten year long "boost sales by making Spider-Man fans angry" campaign is worth less to Disney than a very toy-ready new character or a strong four issue arc for adaptation.

It's also crazy that the pay for professionals is still so low and they rely on Diamond. They'd SAVE money if they just created their own self-sufficient distribution.

And WHY aren't they pushing this stuff back into grocery stores?
WHY haven't they made an app that let's you read comics for free if you watch ads?
WHY don't they make reprint magazines to sell people on picking up comics monthly?

These companies are run by fucking morons.
>>
>>82923996
In terms of the quality of the comics yes.
>>
>>82924084
You forget just how bad 90's Marvel is.
>>
Why do people pretend the cape comics output wasn't always 99% shit?
>>
>>82924084
Obvious underage

The 90s are referred to as the "dark age" for a reason.
>>
>>82924103
No I just remember how bad 2000's Marvel was. It had X-Force/X-Statix and that's it. Anything else was a continuing series form the 90's like Busiek's Avengers or Jurgens and JRJR on Thor

I would rather have Heroes Reborn than what came after Disassembled
>>
>>82923636
>Cracked
I'd rather read Jezebel.
>>
>>82924194
It's a fucking meme

> lol Liefeld doesn't draw feet
>>
>>82924015
>These companies are run by fucking morons.
That's what's really surprising to me.
SO MANY decisions that come out of the big2 are just so dumb. Like, who thought that ________'s new costume was a good idea? Did nobody with some common sense look at that and go, yikes! Or any number of plots.
Are the editors in charge just that incompetent? Are they worried about hurt feelings or something?
>>
>>82924250
>Implying the fact that Image was dogshit for a decade is a meme.
The 90's were a bad time for comics for a variety of reasons.
>>
>>82924299
What is, the speculator's market, Alex?
>>
>>82924292
>Are the editors in charge just that incompetent?
Yep, in fact they seem mostly consequence free so why should they bother at all?
>>
>>82924015
They have to rely on diamond
Years ago it was ruled that diamond wasn't a monopoly because LOL COMIC BOOKS
>>
>>82924315
Yeah, that is one of several things that made the 90's shit, thank you.
>>
>>82924338
They really don't, and there are a few outliers like Archie that DON'T use Diamond.
>>
>>82924299
DC and Marvel stopped marking comics worth reading after the 90's. After that people like Millar, Bendis , or Johns become the big names. I would rather read Youngblood than anything those guys have crapped out
>>
https://archive.is/GBF1f
>#6. The Moviemakers Regularly Shit On The Comics
>#5. Marvel Is Sabotaging Marvel Characters (When They Don't Own The Film Rights)
>#4. The Original Writers And Creators Don't Get Shit From The Films

https://archive.is/s5UII
>#3. The Films Are Starting To Change The Comics
>#2. Comics Sales Are Going Down, Not Up
>#1. Anything That Isn't Marvel Or DC Is Getting Thrown On The Back Burner
>>
File: 13875.gif (985 KB, 198x199) Image search: [Google]
13875.gif
985 KB, 198x199
>>82924383
>lumping Johns with Miller and Bendis
>>
>>82924198
Seconded
>>
File: 1384878603121.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
1384878603121.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>>82924198
>tfw i still have a tpb of X-treme on my shelf
>tfw X-treme Storm was one of my first faps
>>
SUMMARY
>1. The movie makers routinely shit on the source material
Citations: Singer, Snyder, Trank, and Goyer quotes and stories from the sets.
>2. Marvel actively sabotages characters they don't own the film rights to.
Citation: the 2007 and 2015 Marvel character splash posters, where 2015 was devoid of X-Men. Marvel made a sterilization event happen and has forbidden the creation of any further mutants until Fox loses the rights. So, this leaves *244* Marvel characters in the hands of Fox.
Plus: Marvel cancelled the Fantastic 4 comic, and banned F4 images from their trading cards.
>3. Original writers get nothing from the films.
In much the same way as DC cheated the creators of Superman, *Everybody* gets cheated out of residuals from cape flicks. All comics work is Work-For-Hire, where you deliver your work, get a one-off check, and that's it. Even Stan Lee gets nothing from the movies. His "producer" credit is honorary.
>4. The films are changing the comics.
Oh noes! Nick Fury is black, Hawkeye is wearing reasonable clothing, and the X-Men have less children's cartoon colors now.
>5. Comic Book Sales are down
We know.
>6. Hellboy can't get no respect.
If a comic book movie isn't from the big two, and won't set up a Cinematic universe? Other studios want nothing to do with it.

There: article in summary.
>>
>>82924424
Thanks
>>
>>82924424
>#6. The Moviemakers Regularly Shit On The Comics
Deservedly so, most comics are shit. Also, it's not necessarily a bad thing. When Gunn was making GotG, he said not to read any of the books because none of them were really in tone with what he wanted. And he was right. His movie wasn't the originals, or DnA, or Bendis. As a filmmaker, you don't have to be a slave to the source material, you're allowed to have your own voice and flavoring just like the people who wrote the comics. Most films just use the name and villain from comics, and just kind of do their own thing anyways. Most people don't want to see 1:1 adaptations from comics. Some do, but they're definitely in the minority.
>#5. Marvel Is Sabotaging Marvel Characters (When They Don't Own The Film Rights)
Really, it's just conjecture and scapegoating. X-books have been shit for years, but I think it's just because X-Editors are shit. It could be an actual mandate to write them awful, but I don't buy it. "never assume malice when stupidity will suffice"
>#4. The Original Writers And Creators Don't Get Shit From The Films
They signed the contracts, don't complain. It's how the industry works. If you want to see money, make your own characters in your own comics and then make your own movie.
>#3. The Films Are Starting To Change The Comics
Only in the most superficial ways. Outside of Events, and some books, it really doesn't.
We had Doc Ock give back his body to Peter just in time for him to fight blue Electro when ASM2 was coming out. And then things went on. Starlord came back, got his film roster and costume, and then did their own unispired things because Bendis is lazy.
Comichron would like a word with you, http://www.comichron.com/yearlycomicssales.html
What a surprise, the best selling, most popular books get made into films.
>>
>Perhaps Goyer endured something traumatic in his childhood involving the color green, because he also shat all over classic DC Comics superhero (and perpetual Justice League member) the Martian Manhunter. After asking a crowd how many people had heard of the character, he followed up with, "How many people that raised their hands have ever been laid?"

Holy shit I just remembered this

Why the hell did any of you guys have hope for Goyer?
>>
>>82923636
You do know that most of the shit talking is directed to DC, do you?
>>
>>82924424
Trades are higher than ever before, and is one of the main reasons why marvel keeps selling more and more trades with each passing year in bookstores and the like.
Floppies sales are also higher but that's more difficult to see if it's because of the practices or it being more natural.
>>
>>82923636
She hulk is a feminist icon? Never knew this.
>>
>>82924633

3 is legitimate but movies are not the cause of that shit. 2 is weird because that's Perlmutter being crazy and even so there are still 5 or 6 X books.
>>
>>82923764
>the movies are the only places i can see the real thor, wolverine, hulk and a decent avengers line up

Its true oh god its true
>>
>>82924633
>Even Stan Lee gets nothing from the movies
You:re saying that like it's a bad thing. Also didn't We on said he made a lot of money off of Luscius Fox? A fucking supporting character.
>>
File: 1443946137320.jpg (256 KB, 1024x1250) Image search: [Google]
1443946137320.jpg
256 KB, 1024x1250
unpopular opinion:

Films are turning out better than the comics.

They utilize the basic concepts and ideas of the comics, along with the shared continuity, but they're creating a much more cohesive and compelling narrative than the comics. For instance, the way they tied the Winter Soldier into Civil War was fantastic and much, much better than the original source content for both.
>>
>>82924633
>3. Original writers get nothing from the films.

DC iirc still pays to people, Dixon got paid for usage of Bane in TDKR
>>
>>82924894
Yes Wein said he made a lot off of Lucius but not Wolverine
>>
>>82924896
>much better than the original source content for both.
Fuck off. Comic Civil War was garbage, but TWS is mediocre compared to Brubaker's Cap.
>>
>>82924194
>The 90s are referred to as the "dark age" for a reason.

For Marvel and Image maybe. Some of DC's best output was during the 90's and Vertigo was in full swing with their great stuff.
>>
>... until the movies decided Jeremy Renner's doe eyes and pouty lips are simply too pretty to cover up, and like magic the comics quickly agreed.

Okay wait a minute, they were making some good points until here. They know that Renner's Hawkeye is supposed to look like Ultimate Hawk right
>>
>>82923636
>the clickbait said something I want to agree with so it's right. give me shekels.
>>
>>82924896
The films haven't come close to the best comics yet, and they probably won't for a while.
The movies are turning out better than the average comic though.
>>
>>82924925
I'm somewhat not surprised.
>>
>>82924928
I think the movies, particularly Marvel's style of making the movies, can really elevate a lackluster comic storyline by focusing and refining it down to two hours. But for the actually good comics, like Winter Soldier, it becomes a lesser product.
>>
>>82923636
>reading Cracked after it's become Buzzfeed for manchildren
>6 mind-blowing ways YOU, the reader, contribute to systemic oppression of women every day! Shame on you!
>>
>>82924896
You can't say that while posting a picture of Star Lord
>>
>>82925240
It makes sense for the character that Gunn presented, but I hope he doesn't remain as wacky in the sequel.
>>
It's all Perlmutter's fault. I'm so stocked that Feige pulled the rug out from under him and canned Inhumans.

Also, things have only been REAL bad since around AvX or Schism.
>>
>>82924194
For Marvel maybe

DC was going amazing in the 90s
There were some good Images comics too
and of course indy stuff like Bone, Cerebus, Love and Rockets, etc
>>
>>82925285
Why was everyone so down on the Inhumans movie?
Do they just not read older comics, and thought they'd go immediately to what's happening right now with them?
Because Inhumans can be awesome.
>>
>>82925240
I think MCU Star-Lord is actually a really interesting character, and his personality fits that of young Star-Lord. You've still got another Guardians film and Infinity War for him to become the sarcastic dry-witted cynic we all knew and loved.
>>
>>82925262
I enjoy Gunn's GotG as its own thing I guess what I got from your comment was the movie was more cohesive and compelling than the comic
>>
>>82925285
Feigay has made retarded decisions too, dog.
>>
>>82923700
>every character had 2 billion pouches on their costume and the art was literally traced from stock photos and made in 3D blender rip offs
Those are two incredibly distinct periods of team.

And yes, I do in fact miss when Marvel was nearly bankrupt and every character had 2 billion pouches on their costume. Nearly going bankrupt caused them to rethink their strategies and start putting emphasis on trying bold new things. We likely wouldn't have gotten Marvel Knights, MAX, or Ultimate if that didn't happen.

As for your epic "pouch" meme-ing, the 90s were fun as fuck and I feel bad for anyone that didn't have the wonderful boon of growing up in the early-mid 90s.

I'll take Onslaught Saga over Civil War any day.
>>
>>82925334
>I think MCU Star-Lord is actually a really interesting character, and his personality fits that of young Star-Lord
Movie Star-Lord isn't as much of an asshole as comic Star-Lord was in the beginning, until he got redeemed and then depressed.
>>
>>82923940
it is, he literally just started a couple days ago
>>
>>82923760
Europe doesn't have a single company that holds a monopoly on all direct market comic distribution like America does with Diamond, so no.
>>
>>82924767
Marvel is struggling to catch DC and Image on bookstore trades
>>
>>82925372
>the 90s were fun as fuck and I feel bad for anyone that didn't have the wonderful boon of growing up in the early-mid 90s.

lmao

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5pa6SGYWADU
>>
>>82924979
To be fair 616 Hawkguy also lost the mask
>>
>>82925285
>wanting a black widow movie
>thinking this will improve the movie rights situation
>>
>>82925433
Call me when one of today's hack artists get a Levis commercial:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhoa2SVGNA
>>
>Cracked
I'm surprised they didn't bitch about the Deadpool movie being a mega hit and saying it means comics will just keep with white, male protagonists because that's what sell instead of being able to reboot Deadpool as a half black Indian pre-post-pre transexual
>>
>>82925515
>Calling anyone a hack whilst praising Liefield

lmao
>>
>>82923636
I agree with this. I don't like comic Books but i do like some Comic Book movies but i can't wait for the both of them to die.
>>
>>82925285
Yeah man, who needs a Lee/Kirby classic with a cast of interesting characters and a unique setting when we can have an epic BLACK WIDOW movie. It'll be just like Winter Soldier if you got rid of everything remotely enjoyable about Winter Soldier! Yay, diversity :^).
>>
>>82925585

fuck off
>>
>>82925330
Because the people bitching about it were a mix of butthurt x-fags who've never read anything with the inhumans but heard "t-they're replacing mutants with inhumans" and decided to go on some huge persecution complex filled crusade against them, and a bunch of epic memers and shitposters who have never read any comics let alone anything involving the inhumans that just shit on them because they saw the x-fags shitting on them.
>>
File: x force.jpg (396 KB, 977x1509) Image search: [Google]
x force.jpg
396 KB, 977x1509
>>82925539
Liefeld was a superstar, we haven't had one since.
>>
>>82925539
There's literally nothing wrong with Liefeld. You've just been infected by today's PC culture trying to convince you that anything with TnA, huge guns, giant muscles, and "toxic masculinity" is bad.
>>
File: 1462904431157.jpg (7 KB, 160x190) Image search: [Google]
1462904431157.jpg
7 KB, 160x190
>bumping a Cracked thread

For what purpose
>>
>>82925610
We should be getting a SHEILD movie in the vein of Steranko's comics instead
>>
>>82925704
He can't draw feet.
>>
>>82925704
>>82925704
>There's literally nothing wrong with Liefeld.
Don't be a homer. Appreciate his importance, but recognize his faults.
>>
File: Sausage.jpg (368 KB, 686x1056) Image search: [Google]
Sausage.jpg
368 KB, 686x1056
>>82925940
He doesn't have a grasp of anatomy in general. Feet is pretty high on the list though.
>>
>>82925697
Yeah, we really haven't. When's the last time a comics writer or artist really broke into the mainstream without having to abandon comics in the process? You've got Kirkman and Millar, but they're not really "known." Everyone may know Millar's various movies or The Walking Dead, but they're not so much known for their comics work as much as the fact that their properties got turned into major adaptations. No one really compares to Liefeld. Completely untrained, he comes in, takes the comics world by storm, and plays a SIGNIFICANT part in breaking comics into a level of mainstream popularity that we really haven't had anything like since. His style defined a generation. Not to mention his popularity as an artist gave us the one generation of comics where artists always got top billing, and the focus was on art rather than writers. In comparison, artists nowadays are practically considered disposable. Shuffled from book to book to the whims of the writers and editors while never getting their dues from bloggers/journalists/"the media." Not to mention getting his artist buddies to found Image is directly responsible for a boom in creator-owned comics the likes of which even Moore and Gaiman couldn't accomplish despite their constant pushes for creator rights.

The closest we've had to a Liefeld like figure has been fucking BENDIS of all people, and I'd hardly call him a superstar no matter how many name drops or press conferences he gets:
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVyCmSMozSc
>>
>>82925704
>that projection

No, his art was just plain ugly.
>>
>>82925704
Dude I love toxic masculinity, Hardcore was the most fun I had with a movie this year. Liefeld's just not a good artist.
>>
>>82925979
I don't think anatomy is that important unless you're actually going for photorealism
>>
File: 1452182389679.gif (1 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
1452182389679.gif
1 MB, 355x200
>>82925997
>Bendis
>Not a superstar comics writer

I can't remember that whole pasta
>>
File: Trabuco.jpg (392 KB, 1257x727) Image search: [Google]
Trabuco.jpg
392 KB, 1257x727
>>82926025
>his art was just plain awesome
Fixed.
>>
>>82925979
Did the second issue of this ever come out? !Harley Quinn has his dick but I have no idea what anyone was trying to acomplish.
>>
>>82925997
>Not to mention getting his artist buddies
To be fair the real mastermind behind that was Todd.
>>
>>82926074
Are you actually 12 years old?

I bet you wank to Shadman's vomit-tier anatomy too.
>>
>>82925997
>I'll hit you with those Green_Lantern.jpg's later
>>
>>82925979

Don't blame Liefeld for that, his dick is just that big
>>
>>82926056

What was the pasta about?
>>
File: 1412649121137.gif (1 MB, 200x150) Image search: [Google]
1412649121137.gif
1 MB, 200x150
>>82926108
>m-muh anatomy
>>
Good books/comics > Good movies/tv > bleagh comics/books > bleagh movies/tv.

Right now Marvel is producing good movies and tv and bleagh comic, DC is producing bleagh movies and comics, and reasonably good tv.
>>
>>82926186
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Nigga, do you even know who you're talking about? He's the master of Marvel, the king of comics, the future Editor-in-Chief. He has 2 shows based on his creations, Powers and Jessica Jones, and someday Mile Morales will be the next Spider-man in movies or TV.

Sorry mate, but Bendis is the King of Marvel. Those on Team Bendis will guard any and all storylines created by Bendis, or expand on it. I mean look at this shit >>77869998 →

Once he finally runs Marvel, we will enter an era of Bendis continuity. As long as there's a franchise with a movie or TV show, it won't be safe from Bendis Continuity.

He's the future Editor-in-Chief of Marvel, and the other writers at Marvel know it. The ones that aren't with him are off doing Star Wars.
>>
>>82925372
>I'll take Onslaught Saga over Civil War any day.

Onslaught Saga didn't damage any characters long term, so it has that going for it.
I mean, even Xavier came out of it looking ok.

And it helped launch Thunderbolts, rebooted Iron Man into less of a villain, launched Jurgens Thor which was pretty good over all, etc.
>>
>>82926240
>and reasonably good tv.
Supergirl sucked
Arrow is garbage now
Flash is getting worse by the episode
Gotham took a while, but it's actually good now
LoT is dumb
Are there any other ones?
>>
>>82924424
you mean the consistent growth in Image's market share?
>>
>>82926240
>DC comics
>bleagh
Ok, Outhousers
>>
>>82924918
yeah, and Conway got paid for Firestorm on tv, even though he had to bitch a little.
>>
>>82923636
>cracked

nice try anon.
>>
Archive or pastebin, Cracked is SJW shit these days.
>>
>>82925428
Compared to where they were years ago, they've made significant improvement. Selling millions more than they used to. Some CBR person has numbers for each year and does an article each year, and marvel went from like 8th best selling western publisher to 5th in like a 5 year time span.
>>
>>82925356
I read some of his notes on ASM2 and they were just stupid.
>>
>>82926434
And nothing but lists.
>>
>>82927756
It's always been that, though
>>
>>82927878
The last Cracked thing I read that wasn't a list was some analysis of a Jersey Shore porno.
>>
>>82926434
cry me a river faggot
>>
>>82927731
Seriously? He pointed out almost every single mistake the movie made, like opening with a pointless Richard Parker action scene or the grief-timeskip after Gwen dies
>>
>>82923764
Dying medium?
Theres more comic stores left than record stores and dvd/bluray stores combined
>>
>>82928687
>Really love Electro
>Can Electro hum Itsy-Bitsy Spider before he plays it electronically…maybe we can use this again.
I never liked the Itsy Bitsy Spider thing and Electro felt like he lost any meaningful character after Dr. Kafka got his hands on him.
>>
>>82928744
That's just because no one sells comics other than comic stores, if Walmart and Target started selling floppies they'd dry up too
>>
>>82928797
I liked Electro as a character too, the idea of this pathetic guy with powers bigger than him and that gets pushed around by everyone (liked how Harry tricked him into helping him, pretty much the only thing that justified his presence for me). It's the stuff built around the character that was stupid, like how easily he turned into "I HATE YOU SPIDERMAN" mode or, as you mentioned, Dr. Kafka
The Itsy Bitsy spider thing is actually a good advice, because it contextualizes the fact that he recreates the song with his powers. I can see people not catching the tune the first time around, thus ending up confused when Spidey goes "i hate that song!"

Plus you have to consider that we don't know what version of the script Feige read, for all we know stuff like Kafka wasn't in it yet
>>
File: 1449800792550.jpg (1 MB, 2400x1200) Image search: [Google]
1449800792550.jpg
1 MB, 2400x1200
That entire article is all about Marvel. They're the only people suffering from this and partly why I don't bother reading them apart from 1 or 2 ongoings every rebrand.
>>
>>82923636
>She-Hulk
>feminist icon

should've known better than click the damn link
>>
The comic book industry ruined itself by producing trite and pointless stories.
>>
File: 1458679489294.jpg (10 KB, 283x254) Image search: [Google]
1458679489294.jpg
10 KB, 283x254
>>82925515
>so Rob, have you had any formal art training?
>....no
>>
>>82924424
Only half of those are even remotely close to true.
>>
>>82923700
>I sure do love the time when Marvel was nearly bankrupt
Me too. They had gotten what they always deserved.
>>
>>82923636
>i never agree with cracked's shit opinions
>i do have this one shit opinion and cracked agrees
>great article!
>>
>>82924198
And I'd rather have superior spider-man over clone saga, what's your point?
>>
>>82926074
Thank you for standing up to this idiots. I'm not really sure where the outstanding hate came from, maybe he just got too popular.

Or to go full tinfoil hat mode, it's marvel execs trying to push some agenda
>>
>>82925396
That's cause getting to space is what set him free. He was a jerk cause he hated Earth. The movie version already starts out in space, so he's in the "happy go lucky adventurer but still can't deal with mom" phase. Movie one he deals with mom, which is what his origin was about. Movie two he goes and deals with Dad, which is what the second story was about. It seems Gunn is tying Star-Lord's origin with the team's origin and doing something with the original guys behind the scenes.

It's different but the themes are there and think it's shaping up rather nicely.
>>
>>82930412
>if you don't go to the kubrick school of brainwashing you can't be an artist
>>
>>82924198
The british invasion ruined big 2 comics.
>>
>>82923636
The industry had a lot of really insurmountable problems before the films, ones that required changes that Marvel and DC's owners are too old, too stubborn, or too stupid to do.
>>
>>82926074
>>82931164
Hi Rob. Still trying to be relevant?
>>
>>82931417
Man, I was disappointed bloodstrike didn't get passed 2 issues, It was pretty funny.
>>
>>82926074
Sot his is what happens when you don't skip leg day.
>>
File: 1462603110064.png (241 KB, 469x318) Image search: [Google]
1462603110064.png
241 KB, 469x318
>>82924194
Nigga we never left the "Dark Ages".
>>
>>82926056
Bendis?
>>
>>82923875
Comics were on a down hill slope before the movies took off. Furthermore comics are experimenting. Look at DC or characters like Thor. Even Civil War 2 is nothing like the movie. The testing ground idea has no pay off.

Now if you are referring to more creative titles like the non big 2 push out. Well again, no pay off in their eyes because those creative 3rd parties are only making negligible amounts compared to batman/spider-man title #23342
>>
>>82928979
DC isn't blameless. They're trying to make the Suicide Squad more like their movie counterparts. Goyer was mentioned when the moviemakers shit on the comics. Bill Finger was infamous for not getting any credit for Batman, and Siegel and Shuster's families had to fight DC for some money.
>>
>>82931502
The Dark Age ended at the 90s market crash
>>
>>82924672
>X-books have been shit for years
sony has also owned the movie rights to the x-men for years, idiot
everything marvel has done with the x-men going back to house of m was because marvel wants to keep the franchise crippled because they can't make movies off of it
which is a shame because the x-men are and will always be marvel's best and most appealing franchise and deserved better than a string of shitty movies by that rancid rapist faggot, brian singer
>>
>>82924250
-Image was straight garbage.
-Marvel and DC were straight trash up until the late 90's when the market crashed, Heroes Reborn made everyone realize how terrible Liefeld was and suddenly everyone started copying Joe Maduriera's pseudo-weeaboo style instead of whatever you call Liefeld's stuff
-Mark Waid and Alex Ross put the nail on the coffin with Kingdom Come, which was a thinly veiled criticism of what comics had become after everyone tried to copy Watchmen and DKR but had none of the substance. Suddenly tights became cool again

All the great shit from the 90's were in the late 90's. Indie comics had gems throughout, but Marvel and DC got fucking amazing during the late 90's. But early 90's was TRASH.
>>
>>82931536
Bendis!
>>
>>82923636
>cracked
>>
>>82925372
>I'll take Onslaught Saga over Civil War any day.

The Civil War spinoffs were a million times better than anything in Onslaught.

The only great things about Onslaught were the buildup and his first introduction. It went to complete shit when it started rolling into Marvel U. outside of X-Men.

The only good thing was the fallout that led to Marvel erasing what made FF and Avengers garbage in the 90's
>>
>>82932559
Vertigo British Invasion was in the late 80s-early 90s
>>
>>82932559
>Marvel and DC were straight trash up until the late 90's
Casual spotted.
>>
>>82932809
My brain wants to lump Vertigo in with indie books, even though it isn't
>>
>>82932929
Except I was reading Marvel and DC in the early 90's as a kid
>>
>>82933013
Prove it.
>>
>>82923636
comic book industry was ruined back in 1990-1997 when they glutted the market and caused a fucking crash that they never recovered from.
Comics are on life support, if anything films are what is keeping them relevant and encouraging what few sales they get.
>>
>>82928797
Those were post-production pre-reshoot notes.

He was trying to edit the movie better, not tell them to make it again. It's like you people can't get context clues.
>>
File: Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_255.jpg (309 KB, 1024x1520) Image search: [Google]
Uncanny_X-Men_Vol_1_255.jpg
309 KB, 1024x1520
>>82933072
lol how? I basically learned to read off of comics. The first things I remember reading were Disney comics, Spider-Man around the time when he became Cosmic Spider Man and this issue of Uncanny
>>
>>82933309
>lol how?
So you can't. Oh well, you had to try, casual.
>>
I still don't buy it

"synergy" comes off like a bug conspiracy, everything in that article comes off as just writers having similar ideas
>>
File: tumblr_n6z1sjiQos1rg365do1_1280.jpg (158 KB, 584x549) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6z1sjiQos1rg365do1_1280.jpg
158 KB, 584x549
>>82933347
lol

Early 90's was still hot garbage
>>
>>82933488
That reading comprehension of yours is failing. Logical, since you only read 1990s Marvel.
>>
>>82924672
>When Gunn was making GotG, he said not to read any of the books because none of them were really in tone with what he wanted. And he was right. His movie wasn't the originals, or DnA, or Bendis.

IIRC, Gunn was fine with DnA's run, but had told the cast not to read Bendis's run specifically.
>>
>>82933542
Can't tell when you're trying to be dumb or just being dumb anymore
>>
>>82923636
>calls Nick Fury a crusty old white male
Jesus fucm this bullshit
>>
>>82932505
>sony has also owned the movie rights to the x-men for years, idiot
Correlation does not imply causation. The entire concept of intentional self-sabotage is based on nitpicking worst cases and ignoring any good material to further the theory.
>>
>>82933488
Punisher 2099 was a parody, you donut
>>
>>82933699
I mean

He is
>>
>>82923636
>Comics sales are negligible
>Cape movies barely follow the comics
>Directors sometimes even hate the comics they come from
>Movie budgets increase more and more, but creative salaries stay the same

We can safely say that the comic and cape movie industry are in an economic bubble.
>>
>>82934700
Good.
>>
>>82923636
Movies didn't do shit. Comics at birth was a joke and still is today.
>>
>>82933788
He's a wikipedia warrior at best, a 4chan re-memer at the worst. but mostly likely marvel shill.
>>
>>82934700
Let's hope so.
>>
>>82933488
OK, first off, Punisher 2099 is 10/10 amazing. Second off, Punisher 2099 is mid-to-late 90s. Lastly, Punisher 2099 is a PARODY, which is something anyone that actually read it would know.
Thread replies: 172
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.