[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Mike seems to be getting worse at reviews as they go on. His
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10
File: redlettermedia.png (313 KB, 701x394) Image search: [Google]
redlettermedia.png
313 KB, 701x394
Mike seems to be getting worse at reviews as they go on. His latest thoughts on Civil War was a fucking mess. All superheroes are schlock, don't bother making it serious? Superhero stories shouldn't involve the government? Why didn't Stark and Cap just "talk things out", what the fuck, did he forget the basics of storytelling? Was he even watching the movie?

Even if you hate Civil War, his points are so nonsensical, I think he's fallen off the deep end.
>>
This garbage doesn't even belong on /tv/ let alone /co/
>>
>Why didn't Stark and Cap just "talk things out"
It's a valid question. Death battle should be the result of differences that couldn't be resolved through dialogue. That's part of the responsibility of the writers. They did a poor job of selling the idea that fighting was logical on either side because they didn't write it in a way that the audience could see it was reasoned. They were just smashing action figures together.
>>
Mike has always been shit at summarizing movies. And Rich was just a fucking idiot for this review.
>I JUST WANNA SEE IRON MAN QUIP. I DON'T CARE ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE, I JUST WANT QUIPS
>>
>>82921454
>taking RedLetterMedia seriously

None of the members of that channel like cape shit, yet they review them because it is easy views. I bet you watch Screenjunkies, Jeremy Jahns, Stuckerman too you fag.
>>
>>82921526
They spent like, three different scenes trying to talk it out. Even after War Machine got paralyzed, Tony tried one last attempt to talk it out. He only became incapable of it after he saw what Bucky did.
>>
>>82921595
>First talk
Cut short by ABC canceling Agent Carter
>Second Talk
Tony & Friends already signed the accords and War Hammer already apprehended Cap & Friends, calling them criminals
>Third talk
Happened after many fights, and one giant, airport destroying battle.

Talking it out doesn't happen after they've already spent two hours smashing action figures together.
>>
>>82921698
at least they tried talking it out
>>
>>82921698
>First talk
Inside Avengers Tower
>Second talk
Tony bailing Cap out and trying to get him to sign.
>Last ditch efforts
Trying to talk him down before the airport fight, then trying again to help him out when they went to confront Zemo.

The airport fight didn't happen until an hour and a half into the movie. There were only two scenes where Cap and Stark physically fought.
>>
>>82921454
>his points are so nonsensical

I honestly think RLM walks out of movies now.

They had a severe gap in knowledge about the final 30 minutes of the movie, almost like it never happened. They just kept repeating the airport scene, which was the middle of the movie.
>>
>>82921795
First talk stopped before they even reached a team consensus because Peggy died, so instead of tabling it and coming together as a team Tony & his robot friends decide to unilaterally sign the accords in a big spectacle on TV. Then Tony 'bailed' Cap out from a situation he himself engineered. Tony and his crew arrested Cap then bail him out? You can't be both the good cop and the bad cop.
>>
Why put so much effort into modern reviewing when the companies have stopped putting effort into modern films?

Civil war is a bad film, it doesn't deserve a serious review. No matter how much effort any amount of reviewers put into it, outlining the flaws and failings, it'll still gross at the boxoffice just like everything else.

Even the failed films make millions of dollars, nothing fucking matters anymore.
>>
>>82921846
Both sides had made up their mind and refused to change their opinion. That usually happens with debates. But the guy who sides with breaking the law is the one who is chased after. They did try to talk it out, but both refused to listen because people rarely do when someone tries to change your mind about a big issue. The point is that they did spend a lot of time talking and didn't fight until way late into the movie.
>>
File: 1398559369058.jpg (139 KB, 600x404) Image search: [Google]
1398559369058.jpg
139 KB, 600x404
>>82921887
>>
>>82921907
>Both sides had made up their mind and refused to change their opinion
What are you talking about? Tony maybe, because I'm pretty sure Cap pointed out that Tony already did and that's why he wasn't talking but Cap sure as fuck gave no indication he made up his mind until the funeral scene which happens after Tony & Ross had already set up the publicity stunt of signing the accords. "Hey, Steve's mourning the death of a loved one. We'd better set up a public signing of a document that will make him a criminal if he's not there in time LOL. Maybe he''ll change his mind without me asking him or us finishing our talk"
>>
>>82921698
>Happened after many fights, and one giant, airport destroying battle.

That's the fourth talk.

The third one is right before the fight in the airport. Before the fighting starts, Cap tries to reason with Tony and explain what is going on with Zemo. Tony doesn't want to hear any of it, though.
>>
>>82921963
Cap had voiced his opinion pretty strongly and it wasn't likely he was going to change his mind about the accords. The talk was cut short, but he still got his two cents out both in the Tower and at the first meeting with Ross. He clearly had formed a stance and was going to stick with it no matter how much everyone else tried to convince him otherwise, even without the funeral. The only difference between him and Tony is that Cap voiced his opinions, Tony kept it to himself and decided what was right. But neither were going to budge.
>>
Problem is they made the bad guys (Pro) the most reasonable. The characters in the film act as though Pro-registration side are all reincarnated hitlers but to most audience members it's just common sense to side with them.
>>
>>82921832
I think Mike is drunk the majority of the time they review. At first, I thought it was just him doing a funny dumb persona, but now I think the stupidity is real.
>>
>>82922004
>He clearly had formed a stance and was going to stick with it no matter how much everyone else tried to convince him otherwise
This is a bald faced lie. Cap says after Tony arrests him that it is possible he'd sign the accords. Fuck, he's about to until Tony admits he's holding Wanda hostage. Your whole post is a lie! A dirty, filthy lie, Anon!
>>
>>82922018
At first glance, but since Cap's side of the Avengers wanted to check out who Zemo was while the good guy government just wanted to arrest Bucky showed how the accords can go wrong. When they refuse to let the Avengers investigate as vigilantes and deny them missions, then you end up arresting the wrong people.
>>
>>82921587
But they loved GOTG, TDKR and The Winter Soldier.
>>
>>82922603
>TDKR
really?
>>
they are and have always been shit
>>
>>82921454
>Your opinion is wrong because I don't like it

Very mature OP
>>
>>82921454
I quit watching their reviews of all current movies a while ago, and just stopped watching them all together entirely recently. The entire shtick just got old.
>>
File: 1411853271091.gif (671 KB, 156x190) Image search: [Google]
1411853271091.gif
671 KB, 156x190
My only real problem with their review was when Rich said

>Tony's team was completely in the right

Now THAT shit is being blind to the movie
>>
>>82925691
There's a difference between disagreeing opinions and having an opinion that is misguided or flat out wrong.

"All superhero stories are schlock and shouldn't try to be anything more" isn't an opinion as much as it is just really close-minded and bad taste. You end up judging a film for what it's not rather than what it is, which is what Mike does, so how can an opinion be valid if you're just judging shit based on whether or not it follows your personal guideline of storytelling rather than actual principles of storytelling?

Saying whether or not you enjoyed the quips or the fights is personal preference, but defining what a genre should be and saying it's pointless if it doesn't meet those standards is just shit.

It's like those "Plothole Trailer" bullshit done by people who don't know what the fuck a plothole is.
>If Zootopia doesn't allow small prey for police members, how do they police Rodent City? PLOTHOLE!
And shit like that.
>>
>>82921454

To be fair, superheroes ARE shlock. RLM love shlock, so it's not really a bad word for them. You can view them in a serious light, yes, but Civil War didn't really do that. To me the movie basically just said "here's a serious political issue about the boundaries of international conflict resolution by vigilantes" and then never delved deeper into that. Because they needed to set up other movies with the airport scene and the forced conflict between Iron Man and Cap. The Cap movies had a more (superficially) serious tone from the start, to the point of being a completely different genre than the other movies. Stuffing team elements and the tone that comes with those into it made it a bit of a mess.

Civil War has very bad storytelling and suffers from many of the same problems that BvS has (stuffing too much unrelated, franchise-mandated stuff into one movie). Nonetheless, a much better film.
>>
>>82921454
I think he is just genuinely tired of superheroes. They bore him now. You can see that he just doesn't really enjoy them.

The other guy, I fucking forget his name, hasn't quite gotten to the point where they just exhaust him, so he had a more balanced view.
>>
>>82926397
Mike and Rich have both stated in every superhero review they're tired of superheroes. They even did it in this one. But they keep doing them because their Patreon literally hinges on them reviewing popular films, which are mostly superheroes.
>>
>>82921698
>And don't tell me it happened in some fucking book. What matters is the movie.
>>
What was weird to me is they kept bringing up the fact that "Without the avengers WAY more people would've died" without any of them ever bringing up "Hey, wasn't Ultron and everything that happened in that movie ENTIRELY their fault?"
>>
>>82926743

Technically no, Ultron was a project finalized by Tony yet invented by his father. It stands to reason someone would have found it and finished it without Avengers there to stop it from killing people.
>>
>>82926780
That's like saying "It stands to reason SOMEONE would've invented the Atom bomb eventually." Like you're not wrong, but it doesn't absolve any personal guilt for being the one to finalize it.
>>
>>82926825

That's not a very good example. The Atom Bomb was made by several people.
>>
>>82926739
In the context of reviewing a movie, anon.
>>
File: download.png (5 KB, 167x169) Image search: [Google]
download.png
5 KB, 167x169
>>82921454
>it's a "Jay does all the work while Mike just sits there and drinks" episode
>>
>>82926720
Well, yeah.

They review big films. These are big films.

I just think Mike is truly exhausted by them, and had begun to actually hate them on principle, whereas Jay has a little more patience left and is willing to pay attention and accept the good things in these films.

I understand that on some level. Constantly having to review these films when, in reality, you're not that interested in any of them at all, must be an absolute grind. But then again, he's making a shit ton of money, and there are grindier jobs.

Rich just has poor opinions in general. I tend to skip through his bits.
>>
File: 1451909927254.png (121 KB, 250x418) Image search: [Google]
1451909927254.png
121 KB, 250x418
>>82926397
This reminds me of when Matt from TBFP was going on about how he's bored with games and wants to be a TV and film critic or whatever, and that's fine. Laughable, but fine.
The thing is, then, just don't play/watch it. Don't be in the review. It's not a Herculean task.

The first reactionary thought is well the show's formula just wouldn't work without them, but I beg to differ.

Imagine how many people don't care about something, but they all show up for a discussion about it. What the hell is even the point? It doesn't matter if it the "formula" of the discussion/show usually has them there if they've checked out before they even showed up the formula has already stopped working. Just put a cardboard cut out in their place and play recorded catch phrases, I swear the difference will be only so noticeable.

Having valid criticisms against things is good, it's necessary in fact since it expands discussion and thought beyond epileptic head shaking, but the stance of literally having nothing to say because you're not personally invested is completely worthless to everyone.

And yet these sort of people, the girl at the party who is rolling her eyes every 2 minutes the guy in the cinema yawning, all these sort are somehow convinced in all their disinterest that their view of not having a view is invaluable information. From a certain point of view.

No. It's like asking someone with impaired vision what they think of your decor, even if they can barely see what you're talking about they cannot be fucked with the details. So where exactly is this going?
>>
>>82925870

He didn't say it was right, he said the way the movie presented both sides, Tony's made the most sense and movieCap should have no troubles sticking to it, were it not for the muh Bucky element.
>>
>>82921526
The only points when any capes were trying to kill each other were BP trying to kill Bucky (who he thought killed his father) and when Iron Man tried to kill Bucky (who he saw kill both his parents)
>>
File: 1.jpg (171 KB, 1297x489) Image search: [Google]
1.jpg
171 KB, 1297x489
>>82921454

Why can't Civil Warbabies take criticism?
>>
MANCHILDREN BTFO
>>
>>82927509
Not that anon, but I agree with you. I checked out of RLM years ago because they started to get tiresome. I could almost predict what their reviews were going to be without even seeing them. They stopped being thought provoking and just started being provoking. All they seem to do now is complain about blockbusters, purposely being contrarians to anything popular, but then praising anything that's just mindless violence or horror. They've become the people they were making fun for awhile. Now unless something dumb and explosive is on the screen, they check out at the ticket booth.
>>
>>82927688
>Using IGN to make a point.
>>
File: Mikepls.png (249 KB, 545x300) Image search: [Google]
Mikepls.png
249 KB, 545x300
Why can't you just leave Mike alone? He hates himself enough as it is.
>>
File: 1460836058974.png (652 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
1460836058974.png
652 KB, 700x700
DUDE SUICIDE LOL
>>
>>82927688
>7.8
I didn't see that much water in it myself.
>>
>>82921454
They made me laugh with the Star Wars reviews, but other than that, their opinion is shit
>>
Force Awakens Plinkett review when?
>>
>>82926914
i want jay to do all the work on me
>>
>>82928009
I'm still shocked people even believe anything outside of Serebii. Shit, it's more reliable than the fucking official Pokemon site. The instant someone says "new ___ revealed", I go there for confirmation.
>>
>>82921587
They liked Winter Soldier, GOTG and Deadpool, and they hated Snyder's films.
>>
>>82928009
>>82927914
>>82927826
>2 months later
>still mad
Sorry it failed so much.
>>
>>82928263
You want e-points nigga, go to Reddit with your faggotry. You'd fit right in.
>>
>>82928263
The BvS incident really broke some people.
>>
>>82927826
>Cherry picking reviews this hard
Hoooooly shit you're mad. I'm sorry Hollywood hurt you.
>>
Based mods.
>>
>>82921454
I honestly felt like they were doing a bit. Both were being immovable unreasonable assholes...like the movie. lol
>>
>>82922051
>I think Mike is drunk the majority of the time they review
What fucking part of "half in the bag" did you miss?
>>
>>82927509
Their show is about reviewing films. Big films, generally.

He'd have to change career to completely get away from them. It's not like he's like this with all films.

I do think he had some valid criticisms though. Civil War isn't perfect. He just couldn't get much enjoyment out of the good stuff because he was so tired of it all. Clearly Jay was the true critical eye in that episode, and I'm okay with pessimistic disinterested Mike being there to represent the people getting extremely tired of these films.
>>
I enjoy their videos, but I don't take them seriously.
And everyone can have their opinion, even if they're wrong. I'm not being paid to correct people.
>>
>>82929398
Same. I enjoy the Best of the Worst and other videos more than the movie reviews.
>>
>>82929479
that darth vader clickbait video still makes me laugh every time.
>>
has rich lost it
>>
>>82921698
>Cut short by ABC canceling Agent Carter
Low blow, man
>>
>>82928036
Never, it was a joke
>>
pizza rolls amirite
>>
They were right. All the bombastic action and character moments distracted from a mediocre plot
>>
>>82927590
>>82925870
Yeah, but you have to remember that Rich is a terrible person. He's one of those people that considers everyone who's not his friend to be someone that should be executed to thin out the population for his benefit.
>>
>>82921454

Frankly, I thought their opinions of this movie were really weird.

Almost all of them had the exact opposite opinions that I thought they'd have.
>>
>>82921526
"I don't care. He killed my mom."
>>
>>82929512
Same, it was a nice change.
>>
>>82930126
yeah, but I also can't suppress a bit of schadenfreude about those nerds who spent decades on their expanded universe only to have it effectively wiped by disney.
>>
File: 1461182527374.png (94 KB, 353x439) Image search: [Google]
1461182527374.png
94 KB, 353x439
>e-celeb thread
Thread replies: 76
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.