[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I just marathoned the first three episodes of this. When does
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 23
File: korra.jpg (135 KB, 460x215) Image search: [Google]
korra.jpg
135 KB, 460x215
I just marathoned the first three episodes of this. When does it get bad?
>>
If the love triangle didn't gave you a hint then by episode 6.
>>
>>82918878
>marathoned the first three episodes
/tv/ pls
>When does it get bad?
Your mileage may vary, depends what you like up until now.
>>
>>82918878
It only gets bad if you're autistic.
>>
>>82918878
It's not going to get bed if you recognise a few things:

*It's a sequel
*There was initially not going to be a second, third or fourth season. Forgive the first season rush.
*Lesbians was pretty obvious by the end of second season. Only a asspie wouldn't spot it.
>>
you'll understand by the end of the first season, OP. Keep plodding along.
>>
>>82918878
The first episode. You have shittate anon and should anhero plz.
>>
Season 1 finale ruins it all, season 2 continues the downhill spiral.
>>
>>82919061
This. Final episode of season 1 is a rushed mess and the rest of the series never recovers.
>>
>>82919075

>implying season 3 isn't God Tier
>>
File: Korra_exposing_Amon.png (151 KB, 444x250) Image search: [Google]
Korra_exposing_Amon.png
151 KB, 444x250
It's a slow steady decline into stupid from here
>>
>>82918878
Don't fall for the meme. It's better than Avatar.
>>
File: asami_looking_smug.png (162 KB, 500x441) Image search: [Google]
asami_looking_smug.png
162 KB, 500x441
>>82919278
Maybe in the alternate universe where Korra and Asami were close friends and their relationship felt natural, but unfortunately we're in the Berenstain Bears timeline
>>
File: 1411963463095.png (2 MB, 957x1299) Image search: [Google]
1411963463095.png
2 MB, 957x1299
it's still mostly mediocre at that point, finale is where it gets really stupid

then season 2 is consistently terrible. watch it for varrick and the Wan episodes then you'll get to season 3 where the show actually becomes good
>>
>>82918878
Whether you like it or hate it depends on many things

Are you optimistic about the motivations of writers? Do you prefer your lore explained? or mysterious? Can you look past an unlikeable main character due to likeable side characters? And most importantly, are you hoping for more of the same stuff provided by the Last Airbender?

Personally, I hate it. As a big fan of fantasy fiction for the sake of settings, I feel as though the explanations they gave were shoddily put together and overall totally unnecessary, not only ruining this series, but retroactively ruining Avatar: The Last Airbender as well. But I'm a shitty fa/tg/uy who views cartoons by their value as a TTRPG setting
>>
File: 1445834845345.jpg (5 KB, 207x249) Image search: [Google]
1445834845345.jpg
5 KB, 207x249
>>82919164

>Hypocritical villains who don't even know the history they love to circlejerk so much
>Korra acts the least like a protagonist and closer to a dragged plot device in that book more than any other
>Entirety of that Earth Queen subplot that amounted to nothing but being one of a few cherrypicked examples to support Zaheer's point
>Wasting time on the whole Kai and Airbenders plot, which also ended up amounting to nothing whatsoever
>Blatant pandering seen in many forms, e.g.: Varrick appearing for exactly two scenes to do nothing of importance whatsoever
>That scene where the great wall of Ba Sing Se falls in a matter of seconds because one guy knew lavabending, despite the fact just one generation ago, they were at war with the Fire Nation, which was at an all time prosperous boom, and had plenty of specialties revolving relevance around lava
>hay lol i can magically lava bend (no, being terrible at Metalbending is an awful excuse for this)

I seriously don't get how people think Book 3 is so great when it's riddled with almost as many writing problems as 1
>>
>>82919683

>Wasting time on the whole Kai and Airbenders plot, which also ended up amounting to nothing whatsoever

Oh and I forgot to mention that this was painful particularly because Tenzin was still a terrible teacher who didn't know what he was doing. It's irrelevant that he had to go from teaching Korra to a class of like 11 people. we spent large parts of an entire season of Tenzin bickering right before and knowing his shortcomings as a teacher. Repeating it so blatantly for what must've been at least a quarter of the season's worth was just insulting and poor form.

>inb4 contrarian xD

Look I seriously don't care if you like Korra but if you're going to defend it at least treat yourself with some intelligence.
>>
>>82919008
>*It's a sequel
So what?
>*There was initially not going to be a second, third or fourth season. Forgive the first season rush.
Is he supposed to forgive wasted time too? And bad conclusion?
>>
>>82919683
>>Hypocritical villains who don't even know the history they love to circlejerk so much
Is this even supposed to be bad thing now?
>>
>>82919683
>>82919739
Book 3 was the least bad, I think

It has decent ENOUGH villains, a struggle, and finally, FINALLY, Korra doesn't asspull her way to victory

But I think LOK's biggest problem was its tendency to introduce new characters instead of developing existing ones
>>
>>82918878
Don't think the love triangle and pro bending has taken over yet. I think it starts going downhill from episode 4-5.
>>
File: korra asasasmi.png (282 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
korra asasasmi.png
282 KB, 640x360
Alright lads, let's ask the only question worth asking

Was Korrrasami a rating stunts, or just two men with a /u/ fetish realizing that that they might as well go all the way
>>
>>82920517
Both.
>>
File: 1403697831081.jpg (109 KB, 486x535) Image search: [Google]
1403697831081.jpg
109 KB, 486x535
>>82918878
Soon, anon. Real soon.
>>
Episode 5 is when it's starts falling down
>>
>>82920517
If we want to give Bryke any credit, it was a stunt. If not they're just idiots.
>>
>>82920666
The problem, Satan, is that if it's a stunt they're horrible cynical people

But if it's not a stunt they're well meaning retards
>>
Korra constantly jobs in her own show and it strays too far from Last Airbender to be any good.
>>
File: stupid sexy asami.png (258 KB, 900x675) Image search: [Google]
stupid sexy asami.png
258 KB, 900x675
In the end, what was the moral of the Legend of Korra?
>>
File: 1429400408594.jpg (356 KB, 4000x4000) Image search: [Google]
1429400408594.jpg
356 KB, 4000x4000
>>82918981
>>82919008
>>
>>82918878

>marathon
>first three episodes

Anon, marathons are measured in seasons, not episodes.
>>
>>82920681
Nothing came of it anyway, so i'm thinking it was a stunt to not look like complete failures.
>>
Book 2
>>
>>82919008
None of that addresses how the second season was absolute shit though. Or how the first season stalled a bunch on love triangle and dodgeball shit. Or why there was some retarded mecha fight at the end.
>>
>>82920728
If you whine, bitch and twiddle your thumbs for long enough, eventually other people will solve your problems for you
>>
File: stupid sexy kyouko.jpg (302 KB, 1263x1002) Image search: [Google]
stupid sexy kyouko.jpg
302 KB, 1263x1002
Would you guys watch a Legend of Korra movie, with the knowledge that the bad guy would be generic but you'd get lesbian shit and good animation?
>>
>>82919683
You forgot to mention that the nonbender that knew all about the airbender culture, and for some reason even how they fight with airbending coincidentally gets airbending.

And that in two weeks he is adept enough to defeat masters of other elements

And that he invents a new technique in two weeks just because "he had the mindset", when plenty of masters before him (including Aang) were more airbendery than him.
>>
>>82920768

>Beginnings, A New Spiritual Age and Darkness Falls
>Not 10/10 episodes
>>
>>82919874
>Korra doesn't asspull her way to victory
she loses instead
>>
>>82920828
Hey, at least that useless crap of shit faced consequences for once in her life!
>>
>>82920803
I would actively avoid it if it included Korrasami. Easily top 5 worst decisions of LoK.
>>
>>82920816
i hope you're baiting.
>>
>>82920816
Beginnings is a great episode.

The rest of the season, outside of varrick was shit.
>>
>>82919008
Nothing would change the fact that season 2 f Korra has one of the most rerarded finales in the history of fiction, quite on par with Mass Effect 3, similarly it wasn't just self-containedly horrible but completely fucked lore of the original series.
>>
>>82920855
>Beginnings is a great
when will this meme die? I gave up all hope for it when Wan was the first guy to have the idea of asking the turtle to stay with the fire and the other guys were "hey.. why didn't we think of that?"

It gets worst when he condemns the planet by stupidity.
>>
>>82920728
constantly repeating the same mistakes because of your flawed entitled character for season after season somehow is no problem in the end because of magic shenanigans.
No protagonist with so little brain, self control who doesn't learn anything during his journey should be allowed to get as far as Korra did unharmed. That's just poor writing
>>
>>82920855
No, Beginnings was the single worst episode in the entire series

The rest of the series was, at worst, bad on it's own merit. Beginnings ruined Avatar: The Last Airbender as well. Beginnings made a good series worse simply by existing
>>
S2 and S4
>>
>>82920803
No

Good fight scenes are nice, but if all it has going for it is good fight scenes, I'd rather just watch the fight scenes alone on youtube or something to avoid shitty plot and shitty characters
>>
>>82920974
Esencially this.
I love the fight scènes in LoK; but as an action/adventure show it's rather mediocre
>>
>>82920890
>>82920957

Has this board gone full retard? You can't even recognize quality when it hits you in the face? Beginnings was better than anything in ATLA.
>>
>>82921019
Beginnings removes mystery

Mystery is what makes a fantasy setting interesting.

Beginnings could have been written by Neil Gaiman and Terry Pratchett working together and it would still be a shit episode, because it's very concept should never have come up
>>
>>82921019
It was good on its own, but it isn't on its own. It it strongly connected to all of Avatar and is contradicting some things or just poorly explaining a good mystery. So the main problem with Beginnings is that you can't just look at it in a vacuum.
>>
All the lost potential in character development in book 3, and 4. They would literally draw up plot points only to drop them on a whim.
>>
>>82921019
>gets the power of fire by asking the turtle
>turns out spirits were assholes the whole time, but Wan wants to give them a chance anyway
>"let's free Satan"
>Avatar's powers are just two giant tapeworms in a good/evil contrast
there was zero reason to explain the avatar. Doing so kills all mystery. I think the only reason they showed those episodes is to try and show that screwing up is okay, and that spirits "aren't that bad" (when they started a fucking war with mankind).
>>
>>82921019
It destroyed the lore of the original. Out of nowhere it inserted the banal light vs darkness dichotomy into a setting based on eastern mythology where concepts like that don't belong. As the other anon said it retroactively made AtLA worse.
>>
>>82921135

They explained it well. It all made sense. No need to cry because of muh mystery. There's still tons of other mysteries left.
>>
>>82921191
It explained the avatar in a series called "Avatar"
>>
>>82918878
>marathoned
>three episodes
the fuck?
>>
>>82919848

It'd be fine if there was perhaps another layer to it. Perhaps them being called out for it, or knowing exactly what they were doing was maybe an excuse for something, for two examples. The problem with the Red Lotus in particular is they act extremely profound over it to the point where it's obvious the show wants its audience to understand it thoroughly that they think what they're doing is genuinely good. Choosing to flaunt moral superiority because you didn't care about the source material you supposedly love so much is just thoughtless to the point of annoyance and carelessness.
>>
>>82921290
Actually they admitted to not setting it up until partway through writing book 4, for fear of getting shut down.

They have however said that they believe it developed organicly through book 3. Which is obviosuly wrong, but that doesn't stop shippers from being retarded.
>>
>>82921191
>They explained it well
did you even read anything that i wrote?
>>
>>82920666
>>82920681

Both in my opinion.

One half of Bryke has Asami as his waifu, couldnt manage to make her a villain at the last second because he liked her so much.

Because of that he keep shoving her, and giving her new talents until she becomes a boring character that happens to know everything.

The other half of Bryke is extremelly white knight, and like to say how progressive he is.

You pick both of these and what happens? LOL LETS PUT THE WAIFU WITH THE MC IT WILL BE PROGRESSIVE!

Simply this.

They are hack writters and pratically George Lucas, I still like them as people and I respect a lot their work ethic, but they are just horrible writters.
>>
>>82921493
There's nothing worse than the slow, creeping realisation that the one wonderful thing you love so much was only so good because of a fluke, and everything else the same creator makes is awful

It's like playing Elder Scrolls games, or reading Dune novels
>>
Marathoned the next three episodes. Ok, so episode 5 was pretty dull with the love triangle and pro bending stuff, but it seems to be getting back on track now.
>>
>>82921678
I'm pretty sure it gets back on "track" with more love triangle pretty soon.
>>
File: 1459878158305.jpg (293 KB, 630x891) Image search: [Google]
1459878158305.jpg
293 KB, 630x891
>>82920728
fit chicks are hot, but not low maintenance.
>>
>>82921737
I want Korra to spoon me while watching TV.
>>
>>82918878
All the interesting worldbuilding you're seeing, the fun shots of the city and little glimpses about how technology evolved in the Avatar world? You'll see exactly none of it ever again, get comfy in the fucking Pro Bending arena and prepare to never see another part of the city again.
>>
File: 1403719723290.jpg (237 KB, 749x701) Image search: [Google]
1403719723290.jpg
237 KB, 749x701
>>82918878
go and watch the whole thing with blind optimism to emulate the original viewing experience. Then you can be as disappointed and jaded as the rest of us
>>
Season 2. That's just a freefall nosedive.
>>
>>82920759
underated post.

Book 2 is where shit hits the fan. The Wan episodes are good but the rest is garbage Book 3 is visually interesting but also pretty boring and book 4 manages to be ok, but is still bellow ATLA in terms of story telling.
>>
>>82918878
>people unironically like TEEN DRAMA
>>
>>82918878
Season 2 then picks up at season 3 and 4.
>>
>>82922524
No, no, no.

Only go into season 1 with blind optimism.

Then lower your expectations drastically every time you start a new season.
>>
File: 0236.jpg (37 KB, 704x480) Image search: [Google]
0236.jpg
37 KB, 704x480
>>82921019
>Beginnings was better than anything in ATLA.
>>
>>82918878
Never. MC gets the best girl.
>>
>>82918878
I was deeply in love with The Legend of Korra until the bullshit finale. The direction they went with wouldn't have been so bad had they not resolved everything in the last 10 minutes.
>>
>>82918878
Where did it go wrong?
>Violent power hungry entitled cunt sneaks into Republic City
>Someone angry at bender inequality get her attention
>openly states she wants to use violence against him
>Later challenges the leader of a political movement to a duel

You'd think somewhere along the way that Korra would learn that wanting to punch out dissenters is what caused the movement to grow the way it did.
>Leader of the equalists is revealed to be a bad guy
>but worse than that, he's also a bender himself
>No moral conflict ever sees the light of day, you think you see it just under the surface of the water but it disappears and is never seen again
>Also lets give the equalists super advanced weapons and have them take over the entire city just to make sure every little kid knows they are villains and therefore all their complaints are invalid
>Then we can have Korra threaten the guy on a soap box later and feel totally justified
>>
I want more lesbians and gay people in cartoons and shit so younger non-typical children can see they have options.

I fucking hated growing up in the 90s as a lesbian and being told by literally every single media outlet that straight was the only way to be.

my girlfriend and I recognize the flaws Korra has, but embrace them with the successes and greatness it also has.

Why can't the rest of you do the same? It was a good TV show. If you didn't enjoy it, why do you keep on insisting on coming into these threads and plastering them with your negative opinion?
>>
>>82923853
Because unlike you, sudden lesbians isn't enough to make up the flaws of the show for us.

I don't know about others, but i did like some parts, and i wanted to like all of it, but what i liked was removed or ignored and in the end they hid behind "progressiveness" and changed the course of the show and whats comes after.
>>
>>82923853
>I recognize the flaws Korra has, but embrace them
Shut the fuck up.
Equalists go from political dissent to full on dictatorship just to avoid anything less than "good/evil" story line
Book 2 had a story where the entire problem would have been resolved by Korra just going on vacation for a few days before opening the second portal. She could have done nothing at all and it would have avoided the entire problem.
>Dark Avatar

I'm all for homosexual relationships in media, but not cop outs. If there was any hint at the subject before, I'd be fine with it.
In season 1, Korra actively went after Mako when she was seeing Bolin and Mako was seeing Asami. But if she's interested in Asami it only shows up in a 2 second scene of them holding hands before fucking off.
>>
>>82923853
>it was shit, but it had lesbians so it's ok
-you
>>
>>82924188
>it was fantastic, but those dyke cunts showed up and ruined everything for me
-you
>>
>>82924206
>implying it was anywhere near fantastic
it had a handful of good moments amongst a sea of shit.
>>
>>82924206
Not him, but i wouldn't even mind actual homosexuals in the show, but they could atleast have showed them or included them instead of forcing the MC and a side-kick to change into lesbians to save some face and not be remembered as the show that got taken off air, despite having a ton of money and support behind them and a fantastic prequal to get viewers from.
>>
Reminder that a superior Studio Mir show is coming.
>>
File: Notice me Black Lion Senpai.jpg (100 KB, 765x1902) Image search: [Google]
Notice me Black Lion Senpai.jpg
100 KB, 765x1902
>>82924579
>>
Saw three more episodes and it's getting really good now. Loved the Tarrlok fight and all the stuff with Aang, Toph and Sokka. So far episode 5 is the only one I would say is anywhere near bad.
>>
>>82923853
L O N D O N
O
N
D
O
N
>>
File: 1461529848149.jpg (182 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
1461529848149.jpg
182 KB, 640x640
>>82924725
>>
>>82925599
Do you even know what "edgy" means?
>>
File: download (3).jpg (5 KB, 260x194) Image search: [Google]
download (3).jpg
5 KB, 260x194
>>82925727
>Do you even know what "edgy" means?
Do you?
>>
>>82925787
So turning a guy's frown into a smile is considered "edgy" now?

Or is it the senpai part? Please, enlighten me.
>>
>>82919008
>*Lesbians was pretty obvious by the end of second season. Only a asspie wouldn't spot it.
Ehhhh.....

I watched Korra knowing what would happen and there wasn't a hint of romantic interest until she comes back to Republic City in Book 4. Even then, it's dropped completely until the last scene of the show.
>>
File: 1461377570054.jpg (4 KB, 125x125) Image search: [Google]
1461377570054.jpg
4 KB, 125x125
>>82925812
HAIR
H
A
I
R
>>
>>82925824
I'm sorry, but you obviously just had your heteronormative goggles on far too tight. It was plain as day.
>>
>>82925903
Nonsense.
>>
>>82925903
>people actually believe this
>one of the creators actually said this

And people wonder why Bryke is viewed as hacks.
>>
I'm still butthurt that Bryan was allowed to touch this show. Would've been much better without him writing at all. He comes up with the most awful ideas.

Source: He wrote the cringeworthy Korrasami post, he's working on the cringeworthy-sounding Threadworlds, and he didn't touch a single episode of S3 which is why it was so decent in comparison to the other seasons.
>>
>>82923853
I'm a bi girl and I like lesbians as much as the next person, but fuck you.
>>
>>82926736
>I'm a bi girl
hot
>>
File: Korra-Excited.png (1 MB, 1280x722) Image search: [Google]
Korra-Excited.png
1 MB, 1280x722
OP here. Finished the first season. Finale felt a bit rushed and the love triangle shit is a bit annoying, but other than that I'm really enjoying this show. Can't wait to watch season 2 tomorrow.
>>
File: 1444015699963.gif (1 MB, 320x200) Image search: [Google]
1444015699963.gif
1 MB, 320x200
>>82927610
>Can't wait to watch season 2
You poor son of a bitch.
I want you to remember this moment. I want you to remember the moment that hope still burned brightly in your heart. I want you to remember as that flame is snuffed out. Remember every detail of this moment so that when the time comes, your fall will be even more satisfying. Prepare yourself. Tomorrow, hope dies.
>>
>>82927610
Finale of s1 is where I really realized that this show is incredibly lazy and stupid. Instead of dealing with the consequences of Korra's idiocy, they give her a magic heal for nothing.

Season 2 is almost complete trash (even animation wise, sadly). Season 3 is what the show could have been - awesome. Season 4 is a regression to season 1 levels of wasted potential.
>>
>>82927871

I remember being scared of starting season 2 after all the shit it gets here, but once I got past the first six episodes it was all good.
>>
>>82928337
It always surprises me that anyone liked the season 2 finale, Korra getting her ass kicked 3 times, becoming a giant blue Kaiju for no reason and getting saved by Jinora. Not to mention opening both portals and keeping them open despite everything we've learned about spirits.
>>
>>82928626

Yeah, the finale was a letdown, but at least opening the portals gave us the awesome season 3.
>>
>>82928719
Not really, they could have done season 3 without any changes and let her do the smart thing and close the portals. Reason being that nothing in book 3 relies on anything that happened on book 2.
>>
>>82928626
The only thing that was good about Season 2 was that she learned a single lesson to stop worrying about how the other Avatars would do things and do what she thinks is right.

Also Bolin being awesome and famous and saving the president and dating twins.

Story should have just been
>Avatar: The Legend of Korra; a Story of Bolin
>Starring Bolin with guest appearance by Avatar Korra
>Who dies on her way back to her home planet
>>
>>82931003
I'm not sure she learned that. Either way Bolin was awesome for a moment, but he was also at his worst in the begining og Book 2.

I'd disagree about the story, the plot ideas where good enough they just needed someone competent to write it so the rest was good too.
>>
>>82921678
You poor innocent soul. So naive, so optimistic. You don't deserve what's coming next.
>>
>>82923479
Book 4 was okay, we could at least see a little bit of character development in Korra.

I skipped every scene involving that fucking obnoxious Wu, though.
>>
>>82926718
Getting Aaron Ehasz back on the show should have been priority number one. How is it that no one at Nick realized that Ehasz was responsible for pretty much most of the memorable writing TLA?
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 23

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.