[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When I read this it just feels like Dr Manhattan with a family
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6
File: 4882040-vision2015001_dc11_lr-0.jpg (2 MB, 2351x3570) Image search: [Google]
4882040-vision2015001_dc11_lr-0.jpg
2 MB, 2351x3570
When I read this it just feels like Dr Manhattan with a family
>>
>>82871891
Ok?
>>
Little bit?

Vision's not omnipotent though.
>>
When I read this it gives me hope that Batman might actually have good comics again
>>
>>82872003
He will anon
>>
>>82873253
I believe in King, he took Vision, an Avenger that I just didn't give any fucks about, and made a damn good comic. I'm sure King can make the least intresting member of the Justice League into an awesome character.
>>
>>82871891
Because it basically is?
>>
>>82873253
>>82873352
Careful now.

Once upon a time Scott Snyder was /co/'s darling child.
>>
But Captain Atom is Dr. Manhattan.
>>
>>82876720
Naw, I knew Synder was going to be a hack in the first issue of new 52 Batman, the moment I saw Joker (Dick) and Batman beat up everyone in Arkham I knew it was going to be bad. Granted, tbe first half of court of Owls was great, but everything that followed was shit. At least Detective Comics were good at the time.
>>
>>82876827
/co/ was sucking Snyder's cock up until the last issue or two of CoO, and then /co/ was cautiously optimistic about DOTF and slid into hatred once that was shit too.
It's a good thing Black Mirror was his first and featured original villains or /co/ would hate it too.
>>
>>82872003
I'd give anything for a Batman arc as unsettling as this Vison run has been.
>>
I'm anxious about THE TURN. I don't want people to hate based King but it's inevitable.
>>
>>82876827
That's what I mean. Snyder was getting "the next best thing" treatment. Everyone loved Tec. American Vampire was great. No one could wait for him to take over Batman.

Then after his first story on the main book it all went to hell.
>>
>>82877591
>>82877440

And let's not forget the terribleness of JMS on Superman.

At this point, I gotta think it's less the writers fault and more of the editors.
>>
File: Wake_Vol_1_1.jpg (1 MB, 1920x2951) Image search: [Google]
Wake_Vol_1_1.jpg
1 MB, 1920x2951
>>82877440
Eh, that's always been Snyder's thing though. The guy is great at coming up with concepts and writing an amazing beginning and middle. But he almost always fucks up the landing into something largely mediocre.

King's problem is that while he's a great writer, nobody buys his books.
>>
>>82878704
>>
File: tfw ruined vacation.jpg (2 MB, 1988x3056) Image search: [Google]
tfw ruined vacation.jpg
2 MB, 1988x3056
>>82876734
I don't recall Dr. Manhattan being this relateable.
>>
>>82878704
>King's problem is that while he's a great writer, nobody buys his books.

Sounds familiar.
>>
>>82878704
I agree. I admit I didn't frequent /co/ until a couple years ago so I only saw the backlash as Death of the Family's ending plopped down with its big fat nothingness, so I can't really speak to the history of the /co/ hivemind in that regard.

But personally all of Snyder's stories have a good premise and start strong but quickly devolve and limp along to an extremely underwhelming finish - this goes for all of his books except for Black Mirror. Anyone who reads American Vampire or his Swamp Thing or The Wake or Wytches and thinks "Wow this guy is an A-list talent right here" is probably going to love his Batman, because it's honestly on par or better than most of those even with all of its flaws, they all have their fair share of problems.

I'm sure King will eventually write an underwhelming story - and it may be a Batman one with the A-list star pressure, double-shipping, loads of expectations and legacy to live up to, etc - but so far his work doesn't show many glaringly obvious flaws the way Snyder's output does.

Anyway I don't give a fuck if /co/ turns on him, I'll probably still enjoy it if it's anything like King's other books.
>>
>>82879780
>this goes for all of his books except for Black Mirror.

black mirror ends the gordon plot okay, but dick barely even confronts the villain and the final act ends limply. it feels like it ends before things really ramp up. good book otherwise though
>>
>>82879952
I suppose that's true, but the rest of the book isn't as bombastic so the ending doesn't feel as limp in comparison to the previous stuff in my opinion. It has also been many years since I've read it, so maybe I should give it a reread.
>>
>>82879952
Yeah Black Mirror follows Snyder's usual storytelling beats almost to a T. It's just James Jr was original so there was nothing to "ruin", Black Mirror was before CoO, DOTF, etc, and he writes a better Dick and Gordon than Bruce.

>begins with a multiple page long narration
>it's typically about the city and the main characters' father is telling the main character about something that relates to the story
>the villain is repugnant 100% evil monster with very little to no redeeming qualities
>the villain rants about his motivation to the hero for multiple pages a couple issues before it's over, since barely any was given before the rant
>lots and lots of speech bubbles
>like enough to cover half the art
>battle between hero and villain ends with a wet fart
>then Batman goes to talk to somebody else for multiple pages about what happened and what he thinks and new info is often info dumped here
>like lots of speech bubbles again
>the ending is a DID HE or DIDN'T HE type thing that makes the whole story seem pointless or like less of an impact
>>
>>82877591
>No one could wait for him to take over Batman.
>Then after his first story on the main book it all went to hell.

/co/ also only looks at things in hyperbole.

Snyder's run was above average overall. DOTF fell apart at the end, but I think everything else in his run was at least okay.
>>
>>82871891
I hear Tom King is a big Moore-fan, right down to overusing the nine-panel grid whenever he can
>>
>>82882633
like that's a bad thing
>>
>>82880746
it was only ok but with great art
>>
>>82882827
Heh, I didn't say it is. I'm a fellow Moorefag
>>
File: 1463475189397.jpg (367 KB, 1114x1700) Image search: [Google]
1463475189397.jpg
367 KB, 1114x1700
Yep, me too OP. It really should have been a Captain Atom story or something.

Still love it though.
>>
File: asdwasdasa.png (8 KB, 368x496) Image search: [Google]
asdwasdasa.png
8 KB, 368x496
>>82871891
It bugs me that they'd have to be standing in a really weird pose for that shot.
>>
>>82879401
Dr. M was based off of Captain Atom.
>>
>>82871891
In Vision's defense, Manhattan genuinely used to be a normal guy.

The doctor was just a major flake.
>>
>>82872003
>King thinks Snyder's retarded Batman run was "the best"

Don't get your hopes up.
>>
>>82883806
Or they live in a pyramid
>>
Has issue seven been storytimed yet?
>>
>>82877440
it happens to literally every one of /co/'s darling creators.

i can't wait until its Kings turn
>>
It's a good thing this series is so fucking well-written because otherwise I'd really hate it for once again buying into Bendis absurd little "JUST A ROBOT" characterization.
Literally the first fucking issue Vision is featured in is about how he is NOT "just a robot".

We need Busiek back to do another run of Avengers and fix the bullshit created by the last fifteen years of shitty writing and bad plotlines just like he did in the 90's, but at this point as fans we don't deserve anything other then the shit-covered bed we made for ourselves I think.
>>
>>82879952
>black mirror ends the gordon plot okay, but dick barely even confronts the villain and the final act ends limply. it feels like it ends before things really ramp up. good book otherwise though
Well yeah, because Black Mirror was clearly gearing Grayson up for the eventual reveal about the Court of Owls and his lineage as a Talon. FWIW, it seemed like Night of the Owls was going to be the big Dick Grayson event of that run and DC cocked it up by rebooting and making everything about Bruce.
>>
>>82872003
I didn't know /co/ loves tynion so much
>>
>>82885782
But that's not what it is at all
>>
I want to bang Vision's daughter.
>>
>>82885617
>man says nice thing about his co-worker

what a shocker, he's not going to say he thought it was complete shit is he? he's still building bridges
>>
>>82889766
Shame
>>
>>82877475
This. I hope he uses characters like Professor Pyg and Zsasz to their full potential, they can be amazingly creepy in the right hands.
Looking forward to seeing what he did with Calendar Man.
>>
>>82879520
God, I hope Ostrander's new SS mini is as good as his original run.
>>
>>82889766
I'd fuck the son.
>>
>>82882633
He's also a big fan of Millar's Year One and said that that book intimidates him way more than taking up Batman after it's highest-selling run.
>>
>>82889766
I want to bang Virginia.
>>
>>82885617
Means literally nothing. Of course you're going to kiss the ass of the guy who wrote the character before you. King's not an idiot.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.