[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is the Superman powerset the most boring powerset you can possible
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
Is the Superman powerset the most boring powerset you can possible give someone?
>>
>>82871153
No. The generic "enhanced dexterity" that every action hero type henchman gets is.
>>
>>82871153
Why are Martian Manhunter and Steel on there?
>>
>>82871468
You can do cool shit with enhanced dexterity. The only thing you can do with flying brick powersets is smash into other stuff at high speeds which only lends itself to going higher and higher in power level... for smashing into other stuff at high speeds
>>
>>82871575
Read some comics.
>>
No the worse is just giving someone super strength and toughness.
>>
>>82871153
Like 7 people here don't have Kal's powerset.
>>
>>82871575
You can do cool shit with SUPER dexterity, Enhanced dexterity always just boils down to "I shoot guns better and can't be hit unless the plot says so"
The one exception is Captain America, but the most interesting parts of his powers come from using a special item, not his powers set itself.
>>
>>82871153
you know what I wanna know?
why is it that popculture cartoon shorthand for 'a superhero' is some bigjawed guy with a massive grin with huge teeth, and a 'heroic voice' sounds like dudley do-right? superman never had that, neither did his direct predecessors or successors.
anytime someone makes a joke where like, someone says 'you're a dick, man' and they go 'hahaha dickman, I AM HERE TO SAVE YOUR BALLS' and they do this memetic hero voice.. where the fuck is that from? like, it can't be Underdog that started it.
>>
>>82871153
Not really. It just seems that way because everyone and their mom has done it by now.

But while it's probably the most simplistic set of powers a superhero can have, it has almost universal appeal because they mostly appeal to our most basic primal senses.

>Super-strength
What person WOULDN'T want the power to be able to lift up most anything? Ever since the dawn of human civilization, we've been coming up with mythological strongmen who were the strongest men on Earth. There's a real masculine desire there for a man to be super strong. Sometimes women feel that way too.
>super speed
Again, who wouldn't want to be super fast?
>Flight
For the THIRD time, who wouldn't want this shit? People have been dreaming about the joy of flight since ages. It's one of the many things people do when they dream and one of the first things they do when they dream lucidly.
>Heat vision/x-ray vision/whatever
A little out of left field, but still cool.

Honestly it's not the powers but how you write them anyway. A good writer can make that shit seem cool as fuck or use them in creative ways, even for how often writers make Superman-style characters.

Not to mention there was a time when Superman was fresh and original. Shocking, I know.
>>
>>82871575
You're thinking of the Flying brick power set, not superman's power set.
A lot of the most interesting parts of superman stories come from him using his supersenses/x-rays/heat vision in cool or subtle ways.
Flying bricks CAN be cool though, but they ARE overdone. The best way to handle them is to have just one in a given story
>>
>>82871627
You mean like Superman, the father of the Superman powerset? That isn't helping your case. Superman can overcome any obstacle in his path because of his combination of speed and strength. Remember that giant rogue planet that was about to hit earth? Superman destroyed it by flying it into it very fast and punching it.
>>
>>82872137
this is why people dislike this, it gets overblown. nobody should be able to punch apart a planet. a superstrong guy doesnt have to be boring as long as he still has reasonable limits
>>
>>82872137
Just because he solves some problems with his strength doesn't mean he solves ALL his problems with his strength.

Again, if you read some comics, you would know this.
>>
>>82871575
If anything superman is less of a flying brick than any of the other characters in the picture.
>>
>>82872045
It was superman, just exaggerated, and in their minds people gave him the voice of his narrator for the old cartoon.
>>
>>82872202
It isn't just superman, thought. There are a few flyig bricks in both marvel and dc who should be able to equal that amount of power. Only dc characters get shit for it, thought. Thor and Hyperion have had more superman level feats in the last couple of years than superman himself.
>>
>>82872247
i dunno, it feels too consistent. too memetic. even the ranger guy in red green show made himself this character in his intentionally shitty selfmade cartoons.
some of it, SOME OF IT i think is mighty mouse.
>>
>>82872374
anyone able to punch out a planet is at cosmic tier, well beyond a flying brick. silver surfer could do it maybe. dr fate.
>>
>>82872045
>>82872247
>>82872381
People have always misrepresented Superman or thought they understood him when they really didn't.
>>
>>82872499
i think you're right, i think it's one of those things that just sort of erupts. i just wonder where it's from specifically
there are a lot of celebrities where the impressions of them are nothing like them, but they derive from a specific comedian who was the first to famously mimic them. Sometimes even famous lines they never said, but were part of the parody comedy routine. just in shit like this it's so old it can be hard to figure out the very specific genesis of it
>>
>>82872424
The lines between flying brick and cosmic being can be pretty blurred in the big 2. Truly cosmic beings like that Galactus would dwarf them, thought.
>>
>>82873004
i cant think of any blurs, but sure.
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.