[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
X-men and X-force, where to start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3
File: x-men characters.jpg (2 MB, 2000x1037) Image search: [Google]
x-men characters.jpg
2 MB, 2000x1037
I want to start reading X-men and X-force, but I don't really know where to start on either. I've mostly read DC stuff before, so I don't really know that much about them. What are your recommendations /co/?
>>
>>82864754
The 91-01 series is a great place to start
>>
Do you want Modern comics

Or the best that there is?
>>
>>82865227
If either is good, both eventually.
>>
Another question, is there a certain point at which I should start reading X-force? Or is it fine to jump in whenever.
>>
File: x-men.jpg (1 MB, 2713x1044) Image search: [Google]
x-men.jpg
1 MB, 2713x1044
>>82864754
The classic beginner readings are one of these three:
>1. Morrison's New X-Men
After the franchise became really aimless during the late 90s, this book threw a ton of ideas at the wall to bring X-Men back on track. Not everything in here works for everyone, but it's a really interesting read and it's pretty much the best jumping on point you're gonna get if you want to read the past decade
>2. Whedon's Astonishing X-Men
After Morrison was done and half his run was retconned, Whedon took over the major X-Men characters. He wrote a really enjoyable run, that is pretty far removed from any sort of continuity involvement. If you just want to read a pretty solid X-Men story without too much of a hassle, this is a decent pic.
>3. Chris Claremont's Giant Sized X-Men into Uncanny X-Men #94+++++++, New Mutants, Wolverine solo, tons of other specials, annuals, beginning of Excalibur...
If you actually want to start reading X-Men and see how far you can get, this is where you start. This is where the franchise became big and this is the stuff everyone else just keeps regurgitating ever since.
The writing style is very dated and the stories get fairly weird, but it's pretty great once you get used to it. And you probably won't run out very quickly.

As to X-Force, I haven't read the 90s series, but I'd assume, Kyle/Yost or Remender are better. First one pretty much requires you to read all of the 2000s, Remender's stuff might be more accessible by comparisson, but abit weirder
>>
>>82868217
Oh and be cautious about anything you read after 2010. The franchise really starts declining around that time and after 2012, the franchise is pretty much terrible throughout with very few exceptions in the form of a few fringe books, all of which were quickly discontinued soon after.

In current X-Men comics, there's pretty much nothing to be excited about.
>>
>>82864754
>>
>>82868217
(uncanny) x-men #1
(uncanny) x-men #57-63
giant-size x-men #1
uncanny x-men #94-321
x-factor #1-70
x-men (vol 2) #1-41
x-men alpha #1
amazing x-men #1-4
astonishing x-men #1-4
x-men omega #1

if you make it that far, then start reading x-force i guess.
>>
>>82865227
The very best please
>>
I'd say David's X-Factor is the best X-book. It has drama, wit, charm and a good amount of action.

Kyle and Yost's X-Force is pretty awesome if you want gritty and covert.
Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.