[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Did you watch it /co/?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4
File: CRAPT4STIC.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
CRAPT4STIC.png
2 MB, 1600x900
Is it as bad as everyone claims? I'm about to watch it and see for myself, but I'd be interested to see if there's anyone who enjoyed it here on /co/
>>
If you know anything at all about the Fantastic 4 its shit.

If you are unaware of them its an okay but not particularly good film.
>>
>>82853312
>Is it as bad as everyone claims?

Yes and no.

Basically that the film was butchered by editing and reshoots and that becomes very obvious the more you watch.

The pacing is flat and lethargic, and the final half hour becomes a cartoon.

Here's how bad the editing is: after ben grimm is transformed into the Thing, he has no scenes with Sue Storm until the very end.
>>
>>82853312

I watched it and fell asleep after the timeskip.
>>
>>82853408
That's a shame, from what I've seen the Special effects are decent and I'm digging the design for the thing.

Doom looks like absolute shit
>>
>>82853312
First act looks promising, kind of like Spiderman first act. Second and third is like watching a a train wreck catch on flames down a volcano.
>>
I enjoyed it. Military involvement seemed logical. Dug the Lovecraftian themes.
>>
It was terrible from start to finish, the second half being really shit
>>
The comics have rarely been great therefore a movie is almost always doomed (heh) to fail.

The sad thing is they're holding good characters hostage. Doom, Galactus, The Skrulls etc. need to revert back. I could care less about the rest.
>>
>>82853791
For some reason I thought Marvel had the rights the skrulls. Maybe they'll make a deal and we can see the fantastic 4 in the MCU, although it seems unlikely at this point
>>
>>82853312
The entire movie feels like an Act 1.
>>
>>82853312

It's bad but not as bad as others make it into. It had potential and Doom was ridiculously overpowered before jobbing in the end.
>>
Sue's powers were cool, everything else was awful, didn't respect the source material whatsoever
>>
>>82853408

some one post the webM of the tank top being ripped off and disappearing into an explosion
>>
it's more boring than it is bad.
The lack of character interactions really kills it.

Because by the time the team is all together there's only 15 minutes left and you wonder how it fucked up that badly.
>>
We should do a stream. Shit would be tolerable at best if we could actively heckle it.
>>
>>82854098
Why doesn't /co/ do streams of these bad as shit superhero movies?
I'd like to watch that 90's Captain America movie or the 1978 Dr. Strange movie with /co/
>>
It's a mediocre horror/thriller that is suddenly replaced with a low budget Avengers ripoff at the end. If Doom showed up just as the rest of the cast was waking up and the film ended when he left Earth the second time, it'd just be okay.
>>
It's a good movie to watch with some friends and riff.
>>
>>82854226
I thought the last airbender was gonna be good for that, but we couldn't make it through the second act.
>>
>>82853312

I just saw it for the first time this past weekend.

It is not a great movie, but honestly the biggest problem with it is that it is trying to be a Fantastic 4 film.

Hear me out on this. On its own merits, the alternate dimension plot resulting in horrifying superpowers is actually really well done. That part of the movie is good, and it is shot well, and they really bring home the horror of suddenly waking up with elastic powers or being turned into a rock man or thinking that your friend burned to death NO WAIT HE IS JUST ALWAYS FIRE NOW.

If it was a standalone movie, with pretension of being a Fantastic 4 movie, it would actually have been a nice little film.

The problem is all of the baggage that comes from being a Fantastic 4 movie. Movie-Victor makes a cool Tetsuo, but a terrible Doom. All of the darkness and bodyhorror and craptastic backstories (making the Thing's catchphrase be a thing that his brother would say before beating the shit out of him is just a mind bogglingly bad idea that makes me super uncomfortable) doesn't feel right because this isn't how these characters are supposed to work. This is like making a Flash movie and then shooting it like a Batman film, darkness and dead parents style. Its not that its not technically well done, its just the wrong way to do the movie.

And then you get to the last third of the movie, for which there is no salve. Fox wanted a generic superhero movie final act, and we got reshoots to make it happen by butchering the serious body horror science movie we had before until it turned into a video game level. Its not the ending that the movie wants, and even ignoring the fact that you can spot the reshot scenes because of Kate Mara's goddamn wig you can see the seams where they stitched the corpses of two movies together and zapped it until it rose from the slab.

I put it in the same category as the recent robocop movie: its not a good film, but you can see the stillborn body of a good film in it.
>>
>>82853791
Have you read any FF comics at all?
>>
>>82854457
Great analysis. Very much agreed on the Robocop thing as well, excellent way to put it.
>>
>>82854457
I agree and disagree.
I think the darkness and alternative takes would have worked had this movie, before and even after reshoots, cared about giving the characters time to be with each other.
>>
>>82854572

I am willing to agree with that. It it has just fully committed to its original idea and stuck with it, and then given the characters more time together to give the movie heart in spite of the horror, this all might have worked well enough for it to be good in spite of it being darker than F4 should be.

I am convinced that the original cut of this movie has got to be better than the movie we actually got. Whether or not THAT movie is good enough to overcome some of its poorer choices I don't think we will ever know, because Fox would never dare let us see it.
>>
>>82854667
I said this in a thread we had yesterday...but Trank's version was probably at least more interesting.
The final version takes place almost entirely in the lab. It sets this tone of dull and boredom that most people took away when watching.

But Trank's version had them travelling in a junked Fantasticar...that was at least more interesting in terms of visuals.
>>
>>82853922
>>82853791
Skrulls and Kree are shared rights.
>>
>>82853312
It's mostly just boring.

Like, it doesn't make your eyes bleed of anything, but you do feel like you're wasting your time watching it. It's almost an hour into the movie before they even get their powers.

Which wouldn't be quite as bad if any of them were interesting or likable.
>>
Someone should stream it
>>
File: fant4stic.jpg (158 KB, 600x892) Image search: [Google]
fant4stic.jpg
158 KB, 600x892
Their approach on the FF movies has been all wrong. They should've gone full old school scifi horror to stand out from all that kiddie gargbage everyone else does.
>>
>>82853312
I love how they set up stuff, i do like the fantastic four, but man it was promising to be interesting until the wig.
>>
The bit where they come back from the negative zone til the timeskip is really cool and I wouldn't liked to have seen more of that. Some good ideas too like the Ben being turned into a killing machine and going along with it because he thinks his life's over. Hallway scene was cool too. All the meddling fucked it in the face though. The ending is drek.
>>
>>82853312
It was ok up until they got their powers, the timing was terrible and the movie builds up fkr an underwhelming final fight. I do, however rwally want to see a sequel which doesn't need to fit in an origin story.
>>
>>82855263
Ben as a whole is the strongest element of this movie, because really...he gets the most attention to his inner strife and all.
While they all fade and flicker, his stays somewhat present enough that even the capture of fugitive Reed has a bit going on because of him.
>>
>>82855327
>"Look at me. I'm not your friend. You turned me into something else."
;_; My sweet Ben. He wasn't even supposed to be there.
>>
>>82855390
>Ben doesn't go to super smart science boarding school
>Reed still texts him about the progress of the teleporter and even credits him as a co-creator
>>
File: fucking why.png (426 KB, 1224x526) Image search: [Google]
fucking why.png
426 KB, 1224x526
>>82855223
Your not wrong about the wig...
>>
>>82854457
The fact that you don't even get to see Sue and Johnny properly regain consciousness before the time jump is fucking baffling.
>>
>>82854507
Of course not. The people who say that shit NEVER read any comic books.
>>
I could probably stream it on vaughnlive...
Y'all ready in maybe 1.5 hrs?
>>
>>82853312
I saw it for the first time recently and I found it offensively boring more than anything else. Any time there could be something cool, they did something boring. Any time there was something cool it was violently stupid and bad Fantastic Four material but was at least something exciting happening, for all the tiny bit of time that is going on.

The movie manages to let you down in two completely different ways at the same time.
>>
>>82854130
>90's Captain America movie or the 1978 Dr. Strange movie
Well, something to add to my list. After all, I managed to download that old Fantastic Four movie, that never reached theatres.
>>
Like a lot of /co/mrades already said, it's a bad fantastic four film, but what's worse is that it's just a bad movie on its own no matter the name behind it.

It's plain boring.
>>
Why is it so hard to take ONE Fantastic four story and adapt it? Among the few fantastic four comics I've read there are some Kirby-Era stories and even though the dialog might be relatively dated by now, the concepts are still pretty neat. Casual moviegoers love space, just look at how many space movies made success in the last five years. Just take ONE space themed story for the group and fucking adapt it.
>>
>>82856317
A condensation of the first 12 issues of UFF would have been great.

Also, if any one is interested...I could have it set up soon
>>
>>82853312
I thought it was alright, way better than the shit it got.
It's biggest issues were budget cuts and editing issues. And doom.
The special effects are good though and the body horror as the change is really well done. I also think if they hadn't named the villain victor von doom it would have been much better. He was an alright villain but a shit doom so just don't make him doom.
Basically its not bad, so much as poorly presented and there are way worse superhero movies out there.
>>
Alright
Let's say we start going in 30 min?
vaughnlive dot tv/designateddave
>>
File: 1237148252.jpg (45 KB, 256x256) Image search: [Google]
1237148252.jpg
45 KB, 256x256
>>82857022
>streaming movie
Only for this one since it's a hecklefest.
>>
>>82857022
Starting in 3 minutes due to general interest
>>
>>82853408
>and the final half hour becomes a cartoon.
Fuck off to /tv/. Cartoons are good.
>>
>>82857681
>Fuck off to /tv/. Cartoons are good.

Grow some thicker skin, bro.

The movie presents itself as a serious scifi Cronenberg riff on the FF, then becomes a technicolor display of super powers that is incredibly badly digitally animated in the final battle.

Doom goes a head-exploding murder spree then forgets that power as the fantastic four gang up on him and smack him with rocks.
>>
>>82854457
How's your career doing, Trank?
>>
>>82854457
>>82854572
>>82854667
>>82854715
I think the first part of the problem was when they decided to cut the budget (since the Fantasticar was supposed to be the payoff to the convo Reed had with his teacher in the early part of the film).
Second part of the problem was Trank flipping out due to budget/scene cuts and other things, since the claim was that the reshoots were done because of unusable material and/or Trank not bothering to film the ending. Though I'm willing to change my mind on this if we see the unused footage and it turns out to be better than Fox claimed.
And of course the third part is when the Fox reshoots happened.
>>
>>82853312
The last FF vs. Roger Corman's direct to trashcan FF from the 90s. Which one is better?
>>
>>82853497
>That's a shame, from what I've seen the Special effects are decent
You haven't seen enough then. The disappearing tank immediately comes to mind.
>>
>>82853312
it's okay.
>>
>>82853967
This.
The movie feels like what should be the first 30 minutes of an origin story stretched into full-length with a slapped on "climax" at the end.
>>
>>82859643
That's a result of Fox knowing they had a bomb in their hands and refusing to cough up the money needed to finish those scenes properly.
>>
>>82853312
I could watch it on HBO Now right now
But I don't really want to
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.