[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Who's the worse parent?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6
File: images.jpg (400 KB, 1200x668) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
400 KB, 1200x668
Who's the worse parent?
>>
>>82838169
It's a question of whether it's better to contemptuously ignore your kid's growing issues, or try to fix them but do so incompetently.
>>
>>82838169
stirlings mom

he wasnt a bad dad, he just had a shit time dealing with all that experience. she however was just a cunt throwing archer into bs. this is a shit thread btw and doesnt deserve any serious thought
>>
>>82838169
Mallory by far. Jonas tried he just couldn't get past his own ego.
>>
Jonas by a fucking mile. Even Dr. Venture said the only good thing about him was how good of a scientist he was.
>>
Mallory waited until Archer was an adult before introducing him to the family business. So she's no where near as negligent as Jonas.
>>
Jonas is negligent and dragged Rusty into a life he had no place in.
Mallory was purposefully abusive.
>>
>>82838488
>>82838273
>>82838271
Jonas had his friends pants Rusty while they shot his crotch with a shrink ray in front of people. At his birthday party.

Jonas was a piece of shit.
>>
>>82838342
Do we know that though? What other jobs has Archer had?
>>
>>82838169
Judging on how their kids turned out, I'd go with Jonas.
Archer may be a drunken man-whore but at least he's competent at his job.
>>
>>82838583
>Jonas had
I think more Jonas just let his friends run wild around his son. Unaware of the affect it'd have.
Jonas had no idea how to treat a kid, most the time he tried to treat him as some kind of colleague.
>>
Definitely Jonas.
>>
Mallory honestly seems to give a shit about Sterling's well-being sometimes.

Jonas just saw Rusty as a tool.
>>
>>82838670
He hasn't. He was shipped away to boarding school and raised there until he got the job at ISIS through nepotism.
>>
>>82838169
Jonas

>Mallory had Woodhouse take care of Archer
>Jonas had fucking Action Man take care of Rusty
>>
Mallory is at worst neglectful.

She never shot Sterling with a shrink ray in the dick

She never had Action Man throw grenades at him and force him into dangerous situations as a kid

Oh. And she didn't make him kill a guy with a house key when he was 10
>>
>>82838952

And never made Sterling test out potentially deadly amusement park rides.

And never called him ungrateful when he complained.
>>
>>82838863
>Rusty had Colonel Gentleman, Action Man, and Kano as babysitters
>Jonas was his therapist
At least Archer turned out as an autistic agent. Rusty turned out as a near-exact copy of his old man (aside from the socializing part), right down to doing half-assed inventions.
>>
>>82838863
>A strung out heroin addict
>A strung out speed freak
>>82838952
Jonas didn't have those things done to him, he just let them happen. If anything he's more guilty of neglect than Mallory.
Who drunkenly bullied an Archer on Halloween taking all his candy, stole his bike, and it's implied attempted to brainwashed him as a baby to have a disturbing dependence on her and mistrust in others.
>>82839029
Most the inventions are actually Jonas' with a new paintjob
>>82838991
Mallory constantly calls him an ingrate for complaining about the fucked up shit she does to him.
>>
>>82838838

To be fair, sending Sterling to boarding school, far away from her, was probably the most responsible parenting decision Mallory has ever made.
>>
>>82839158
>Those seniors
Poor little Archer.
>>
>>82838169

Jonas. We can quibble about the highs and lows of each parents methods and history, but in the end what matters is how the kid turned out as a result.

Rusty is a deeply unhappy man who is only barely scraping by the the resources and reputation of his much more successful family. Rusty is a failure, mad at himself and the world. The only people who stick around with Rusty are his kids, who have little choice in the matter, and those OSI agents assigned to protect him.

Archer is, while a fucking asshole, an objectively hypercompetant agent who while probably not as good as he thinks he is is still one of the best in the world. He is also incredibly happy with his lifestyle, and almost even has a successful longterm relationship with Lana. Almost.

Archer came out the more functional person, so Mallory is apparently the better parent.
>>
>>82838991
>And never called him ungrateful when he complained.
She most certainly did that.
>>
>>82839393
This tbqfhwyf
>>
>>82839940
>tbqfhwyf

I feel bad that I have a good idea of what this means.
>>
>>82838169
Jonas.

He tormented his son, forced him into a life he didn't want, kept him away from anyone he might make friends with, never taught him anything and continually undermined his agency, confidence and independence, belittled him when he mentioned his problems, then up and died on him when he seemed to be getting ever so lightly better, driving him out of that life and back into the ruins of his father's legacy to wallow for the rest of his life in medocrity and a sense of compelte and utter inadequacy.

On the other hand Mallory was a negligent, abusive bitch, but at least she had the decency to send Arhcer off to a private school where he was away from her and could thus experience a somewhat normal life. Plus she gave him a job which he enjoys, and had paid for everything for him almost his entire life.
>>
Gotta wonder how different Alt. Rusty's life went if he still has hair and has a successful Broadway production.
>>
>>82840406
I still think it's just future Rusty who invented a cure for baldness and pitched his play to the right people.
>>
Reminder that Mallory starved Archer and Lana's child cause she thought it was chubby.
>>
>>82838715
no, Jonas went out of his way to be abusive, like when he was his son's 'therapist"
>>
Mallory cause she's still alive.
>>
>>82840496

to be fair Lana did feed it too much
>>
>>82838169
At least Mallory didn't force her child into crazy dangerous situations where they would have easily died. She at least waited for him to be an adult and do it himself.
I mean, doesn't she usually answer ransom calls while Jonas literally just didn't respond to one before and just went and picked him up days later?
Do we know if Jonas had some cloning fail safe for Rusty?
>>
>>82838169
Mallory loves Archer she was just bad at raising him. Jonas raised Rusty wanting for nothing and gave him a good education only for show. Jonas Venture can't be seen as being a bad father. He didn't give a damn about Rusty. He didn't like him or love him.
>>
>>82841048
IIRC Dave, the guy who helped them build the cloning tech, said Rusty, Jonas and himself all worked together on it, so Rusty must have been at least a teen at the time, meaning Jonas had no clones to fall back on while Rusty was growing up.
>>
>>82841170
I think Jonas did love him - he called to check up on him in college and made genuine efforts to save him when he could have easily just left him to die - he was just a shit parent and saw Rusty as a problem to solve and not a person. He probably just assumed that Rusty would adapt to the adventuring lifestyle the way he did without thinking about the effects it would have on a child.
>>
Don't recognize the person on the right, so I have to vote of Mallory.
>>
>>82839940
to be quite frankly honest with you family?
>>
File: YDCbXBOHJj8wonsjQtXusCk5o1_500.jpg (45 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
YDCbXBOHJj8wonsjQtXusCk5o1_500.jpg
45 KB, 500x281
>>82838169
Jonas
>>
>>82838863
>oh no Rusty, I told you to pull my finger not the pin of this grenade
>>
>>82841499
It's funny.
Archer goes into a near catatonic state over remembering his bike getting stolen.
Meanwhile Rusty can just shoot the shit with his abusers like it's no big deal.
>>
>>82838670
>planned to become a lacrosse pro and get an athletic scholarship until a madwoman shot him and jumped out a window
>>
>>82838583

And not just any people, either- Playboy bunnies, models, and probably a few literal whores. Whom he invited.
>>
>>82841499
That bang stick had to have a hell of a spring to pierce his entire body.
>>
>>82841886
Rusty's like paper mache, remember Sgt Hatred noted he was a bleeder when he shot him with a rubber bullet
>>
>>82838169
the truth is jonas by a fucking mile.
rusty was kidnapped and joans didn't do shit for three months.
when mallory found out that the biker gang fight wasn't an elaborate voicemail prank she immediately almost pissed herself with the concern she felt for archers well being.

the difference between a bad parent and a total irredeemable monster is the bad parent at least cares even if they fucked up in every other way. a monster doesn't fucking care about anything but themselves and anything they do that's "for the kid" is solely for public appearance's sake.
>>
>>82841606
Rusty's been emotionally desensitized to hell with that shit.

It seems apparent that he's just been given such a poor, second hand concept of what a normal childhood looks like, that he's emotionally incapable of gauging just how bad he had it even despite the popularity of the original Team Venture, which he's been able to coast off of. It's messed him up pretty badly regardless, he just has no depth perception to comprehend how absolutely fucked he is.
>>
>>82838169
Mine
>>
>>82839940
>tbqfhwyf
To be quite fucking honest with you senpai?
>>
>>82841404
Bingo.

>>82842768
Heh, close enough.
>>
Mallory had other priorities than parenting, Jonas would only parent when he thought he needed to fix Rusty and was otherwise a total fratboy cock who'd rather not have a child at any given time.

So idk.
>>
>>82838715
Yeah, I think that's the main thing with Jonas. He treated Rusty like "one of the guys", but Team Venture was pretty rough-and-tumble, so being "one of the guys" entailed a lot of shit. Especially for a kid who just wanted to play and have fun.
>>
File: venture_ep017_09.jpg (71 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
venture_ep017_09.jpg
71 KB, 400x300
>>82838169
Was Rusty's father as bad as Johnny's father?
>>
>>82842549
Remember the Sidekicks Anonymous thing, where Rusty refused to go along with any of the therapy? He was incapable of looking at himself, then looking at the others, and realizing that ultimately, they had a lot in common. He's accepted that he had an abnormal childhood, but he thinks it was water off his back, and always seems to view it in light of "Boy, when I was your age, ha ha. Those were good times", even while the trauma from the whole affair is obvious and apparent. It's really the reason Rusty's been able to hold on for so long; he has so little perspective of what being well-adjusted is that he thinks that's the case for him too.
>>
>>82843226
Maybe it's just the Harvey Birdman interpretation clouding my mind, but I tend to think of the VB Benton Quest as more passively negligent than outright abusive. And if that's true, Rusty coped spectacularly well compared to Jonny.

>>82843359
Well, no, he regularly cites his childhood traumas in the context of, "This is some insane shit that I had to deal with as a preteen." But he tries to own it, and even uses it for things like dick-measuring contests with Hatred. So I think he's perfectly aware of how jacked-up psychotic his childhood was; he's just had an easier time digesting it. Maybe raising the boys, and trying to be a better dad than Jonas was, has had a therapeutic effect.
>>
>>82840482
Basically a version of him that hadn't given up and tried to jump into another universe.
>>
>>82838223
At least the incompetent one actually cares, as a parent should.
>>
>>82841499

That poor piece of shit, is there any hope for him?

I'm not even talking about hope for him to magically become a badass or a super scientist success story, just hope for him to get his shit together, actually get through his trauma and be happy.
>>
The question is, how will Abbiejean compare to Hank and Dean as she grows up?
>>
>>82839029
>Rusty turned out as a near-exact copy of his old man (aside from the socializing part), right down to doing half-assed inventions.
Let's be honest, Rusty might not be the greatest human being, but he's a far better dad than his own father ever was.

>>82845716
He kind of has, though. Encountering people who've fared much more poorly has shown him that he's really coping well, all things considered.
>>
File: Vlcsnap-2009-11-21-00h02m55s221.png (205 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
Vlcsnap-2009-11-21-00h02m55s221.png
205 KB, 640x480
Best parent coming through beep beep
>>
>>82846266
>Let's be honest, Rusty might not be the greatest human being, but he's a far better dad than his own father ever was.
Pretty sure that change started happening after he lost the clone slugs and subsequently the cloning tubes, but I also chalk it up to being around people who legitimately care about him (including the older Action Man and Colonel Gentlemen after Season 4).
>>
>>82839393
i hate it when people think results are all that matters
maybe when we gain perfect future vision, yeah, until then you have to do what's right and trust that it was just right, regardless of what ends up coming from it
>>
>>82840627
you cant overfeed a baby. everything about them grows at a hyperaccelerated rate when you hypercalorize them. true they also become obese but no baby is going to die from that, and it's easy to burn that off later, when you have a foot of additional height and years of maturity ahead of the other kids.
>>
>>82841930
that's after years of speed though. that shit will leave you pretty damn crepey
>>
>>82843049
my dad's family was like this. it was shocking because dad had always been so damn lovey affectionate with us, and suddenly his dad and other relatives are just joking around with me like one of the guys, and i'm fucking 7.. and i didnt have the emotional maturity for that, even if dad was the kind to yell at you for crying, he'd explain that he loved you and that your emotion was just wrong, and you need to fix it so you'll be happier, not that there's anything wrong with you.

i fucking hate it when the post timer gets stuck
>>
>>82845875
at worst, we're looking at a Hit-Girl situation. Otherwise probably one of the world's greatest minds.. likely having some issues with being so far ahead of normal people (which this whole 'fancy preschool' thing isnt helping with), on kind of a Daria level, but ultimately something fantastic is going to happen with that brain.. because holy shit, we saw lana's parents, even if lana herself doesn't seem abnormally smart... but archer.. is practically a savant despite massive alcoholism. whoever his dad is, he's like, fucking hank mccoy tier genius, if not reed richards. it's hard to say how much mallory contributes because she seems pretty clev sometimes but impossibly clueless other times.
>>
>>82846266

Coping well in comparison to complete wrecks isn't what I really call doing well but every little bit helps I guess.
>>
>>82847202
The only life lessons that actually matter
>>
>>82838169
At least she's still around
>>
>>82842262
Jonas goes back for Rusty and he and Action Man beat the living shit out of the greek pirates. I'm not arguing the fact that he failed to notice his missing child while he was busy banging supermodels, yeah that's absolutely awful, but he DID go back for him and he WAS exceptionally pissed at the guys who abducted him.
>>
Jonas.

Mallory coddled Archer and gave him everything, including the best training. He became arrogant and entitled, but he gets things done. Ufortunately, she slso withheld affection , so he doesn't know how to process emotional intimacy.

Rusty was belittled and overshadowed his whole life on TOP of being raised without affection. He didn't even have a confidante, and he's even more uncaring about collateral than Archer.
>>
>>82838169
>Worse Parent
Mallory raised Archer into a man-baby, but still a man. Rusty is a shell of a human with a plethora of legitimate issues from his childhood. They're often played up for laughs but every now and then he'll get real with someone and it isn't as funny no more.
How is that even comparable
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.