[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So what is /co/'s opinion on the newest Overwatch anima
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7
File: hanzo-gameplay.jpg (46 KB, 700x396) Image search: [Google]
hanzo-gameplay.jpg
46 KB, 700x396
So what is /co/'s opinion on the newest Overwatch animated short "Dragons"
https://youtu.be/oJ09xdxzIJQ
>>
>>82837554
Fucking Awesome, also there is another older thread filled with those not as easily impressed as I
>>
Could you have worded that in a more marketing-like way?
It's ok, I guess.
>>
>>82837554
The face reveal was full of feels. /v/ and /owg/ didn't believe me when I said that Genji can remove the mask but can't remove anything else really because that's his body now.

The salt tears will be even greater tasting when they do a lore piece on Pharah and reveals that she's got artifical arms and legs, as she's missing them from above the elbow/knee.

>>82839069
Still a million times better than Gearbox's paid shills on /v/ trying to promote battleborn.
>>
I WILL NOW PLANT MY HONOR BOMB
>>
A bit generic 'ye olde samurai honour' stuff.
>>
Character designs are very well done

Characters themselves are really, really damn generic.
>>
Their accents are so bad. Hanzo fluctuates between Spaniard and 2nd generation immagrant and the Mountain Dew ninja sounds like a swede trying to be Japanese.
>>
are they planning on making a comic or animated series?
>>
File: tony pajams.jpg (33 KB, 500x374) Image search: [Google]
tony pajams.jpg
33 KB, 500x374
Great animation.

Meh script.

Meh dialogue.

Good cinematography

Good colors/lighting.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnNOa1cQgBc&feature=share

Obligatory.
>>
>>82837554
They're all the same

>Person narrates.
>Person appears at a location.
>Other character is hinted.
>Person fights weak mooks.
>Other character attacks!
>Back and forth battle.
>One character uses their ultimate.
>Music swells.
>Other character uses their ultimate.
>Character departs.
>Outro narration.
>>
>>82839572
That wasn't really anything like the short.
>>
>>82837554
Why is Blizzard so much better at making animated shorts than games?
>>
>>82843871
I like Overwatch more than I like these videos.

If anything these videos tease me with a story I know nothing about. They're absolute assholes with Warcraft - referencing things in game that happened in novels that nobody reads.

If there's an Overwatch novel I'm going to be pissed, but probably bitch out and buy it.
>>
>>82846331
Overwatch has comics already
>>
>>82837554
Loved it, felt like a kid again watching it.
The dialoque was very repetitive and generic but it fits with the scenario and the characters. But you can't make it too complicated with a short that is supposed to tell the story in 8 minutes.
The interaction between Hanzo and Genji was just great.

Hanzo who hasn't accepted his failure yet which leaves him full with rage. what makes him lose the battle. Genji who is calm and collected and has accepted his body and past, he manages this way to dominate both dragons and dominate the battle.

Shit was cash yo.
>>
>>82837554
the writing is horrid
bad pacing and dialogue

the "now I deflect and turn your dragon bullshit against your just as you've once turned your back on me" thing was nice though
>>
>>82837554
I DON'T CARE CALL ME WHEN REINHARDT OR TORBJORN GETS A SHORT
>>
>>82846857
Why did Genji attack Hanzo? Did he really need to bait out the dragon just to get the guy to listen?
>>
>>82847066

But Genji didn't attack Hanzo. Watch it again, Hanzo made the first move, assuming Ganji was an assassin.
>>
>>82847107
While that's true, Genji still definitely wanted a fight, since the first thing he did after being spotted (While hiding behind the dude like an assassin.) Was say threatening lines, and then throw some shuriken. He could've just said 'yo, I'm your bro, here, let me pull my mask off.'
>>
>>82847223
That wouldn't be a fun short scene to watch, no? Blizzard still has to promote the battle and skills in the shorts.
>>
>>82847255
Yeah, but, surely there's a reason Genji figured they had to fight. Right?
>>
>>82847277
Hanzo is a hot head, he wouldnn't have listened otherwise.

Just my guess.
>>
File: 1463142185495.png (119 KB, 850x850) Image search: [Google]
1463142185495.png
119 KB, 850x850
writing is predictable

animation is great

every short ever

alright i didnt see that widowmaker collateral coming though
>>
>>82837554

Alot of production for abit full of cheese tied to a shit game.
>>
>>82847354

Although the dialogue was kind of generic, the writing overall was actually quite good, especially for a self-contained 8 minute short. The Dragon story was quite good, and the parallels between it and Hanzo/Genji was good.
>>
File: 1463207984991.png (286 KB, 730x671) Image search: [Google]
1463207984991.png
286 KB, 730x671
>>82847425
you're right about the dragon story, that completely passed over my head
>>
Shanghai Hong Kong Egg Foo Yung
These characters are cliche garbage
>>
>>82837554
Hanzo is hot.
>>
>>82837554

Feels very odd to see Pixar quality short (I don't say this lightly) come from Blizzard of all people who can't even manage WoW nowadays.
>>
>>82837554

Keep your shilling to one thread.
>>
>>82837554
Shinobi Reverse
>>
>>82850705
Blizzard has never failed when it comes to cgi shorts. Every new WoW expansion has a (at least visually) great cinematic attached to it.
>>
File: tubc71ng.png (255 KB, 800x788) Image search: [Google]
tubc71ng.png
255 KB, 800x788
>>82846944
I have a bad feeling those that aren't getting a video are getting a comic instead.

>Reinhardt
>Junkrat and Roadhog
>Graves

All second place to Widow, Tracer, Winston, Reaper and weeb twins.
>>
>>82837554
People have been saying these shorts are predictable, but they've thrown off a lot of the predictions made.

People said Genii would be an edgy MGS type assassin. Turns out he's a mega bro.

People were apparently so surprised by Widowmaker winning in Alive that they actually got butthurt over it.
>>
>>82850840
The trailer for the shorts showed Reinhardt, Soldier 76, Mercy and Pharah. So they will at the very least get appearances. Mercy and Pharah look to be in the same short.
>>
>>82841794
It really wasn't he sort of hit the broad side of a barn, yes but there was more substance than what he implied there would be.
>>
>>82837554
Why is hanzo popular with the /y/ crowd?
>>
>>82850445
Agreed, totally husbandoable.
>>
>>82850705
Animation and cutscenes and shit is the one thing Blizzard has literally never fucked up. WoD was trash but the cinematic was fucking amazing.
>>
>>82850979
The only thing that I still don't really understand is why Hanzo, after basically spilling his grief everywhere and saying "You don't deserve to say his [Genji's] name", he suddenly threatened to shoot him after he discovered that it actually was Genji, the brother who he so painfully regretted "killing" just moments before.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (181 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
181 KB, 1920x1080
>>82850705
Blizzard have their own dedicated studios and departments for their cinematics. All in-house.

I think only Square Enix is the other one with resources like that.
>>
Great animation and visuals as always. And this time the writing or the characters didn't bother me as much as in the last cinematics.

What are the two rival factions in Overwatch, anyway?
>>
>>82851202
BvSsymbolism.jpg
>>
>>82851169
Pride.
>>
>>82851254
its a game called Deus Ex for fucks sake. what did you expect?
>>
>>82851236
There are a few.

The main good guys were Overwatch. The main bad guys appear to be a bunch of war profiteers called Talon, who Widowmaker and Reaper work for. Then there's a bunch of morally grey dudes, like Hanzo, or the Vishkar corporation, who seem to be a megacorp with caste based ideas about how order should be achieved.
>>
>>82837554
Overwatch is G.I.Joe made by pixar and I love it.

This Snake Eyes vs Storm Shadow one was pretty good.
>>
>>82837554
so much awesomeness.
>>
As with all of the shorts, the writing is a bit generic, but they're so well-directed that it's hard for me to care. The visual storytelling is fantastic.
>>
With all the money they are pouring into these hype trailers, they could have created a fully fleshed out 6+ hour single player campaign to actually justify that 60$ pricetag. Just saying.
>>
>>82851577
It's only $40 though
>>
File: 1367214343466.gif (2 MB, 280x176) Image search: [Google]
1367214343466.gif
2 MB, 280x176
HOW MANY MORE SLEEPS?
>>
>>82851018
Those were from another trailer.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBIwGKDwnWY
>>
Team Fortress 2 meet the classes were better
>>
I dunno. Every one of those Overwatch shorts seems to have all the necessary elements in place: great animation, cool characters, music - the whole shabang. Yet they feel underwhelming somehow. I get where they are supposed to feel dramatic and sincere, but all I actually see is a safe consistent commercial product.

Have I become a cynical bastard, /co/? Maybe the problem is with the writing as other people say. I guess funny TF2 shorts are easier to make...
>>
>>82851594
It's $60 on consoles.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.