[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Ok, who fucked this movie up?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10
File: ratchet and clank.jpg (11 KB, 270x186) Image search: [Google]
ratchet and clank.jpg
11 KB, 270x186
>Ratchet and Clank dodges all of these problems and more. It’s a series of fantastical space adventures featuring nonhuman characters who are beloved amongst the PS2 generation of gamers. It’s an unfamiliar setting with a different premise, starring characters that have proven to be endearing, often using simple but substantial plots filled with good humor and dazzling visuals (of guns.) The only way it can be screwed up now is by misexecution, either by getting rid of the voices that people loved for A-list celebrities, or by terrible writing that Insomniac would never be caught dead using. It’s a good thing then, that yes, it’s still the voices people know and love, at least partially penned by one of the games’ writers, and, when the script was handed off to Hollywood, was still guided by Insomniac’s hand.

this was a comment from a webpage that summed up why everybody was looking forward to the movie.

https://tjfixman.wordpress.com/2016/04/02/a-farewell-to-lombaxes/
>>
For one thing, the general public doesn't give a shit about Ratchet and Clank.
>>
>>82827702
>B-list celebrity cameos
>Blending elements from the first three games to make an amalgamation of bland which lacks quality character development for the titular characters.
>Ultimately couldn't decide upon who to pander: kids who weren't around for the original trilogy or the folks who grew up playing the games.
In retrospect, it would have been a miracle for the movie to be anything other than passable. At least we got a really swell movie tie-in game out of it.
>>
>>82827879
From what I've seen with adaption movies, they almost always exclusively pander to people who have never heard of the characters before, since they just assume the fans will watch regardless.
>>
>>82827702
>partially penned by one of the games' writers
Didn't the guy who penned the rest of it want something like Norm of the North?
>>
>>82827879
And competing with Zootopia of all things.
>>
>>82829867

'Zootopia is good' was a meme.
>>
>>82827702
It didn't help that the marketing was godawful. Most people I talked to didn't even realize the movie was coming out until it was already in theaters or just a few days away.
>>
>>82829922
Why do you feel the need to be a contrarian?
>>
>tfw occasionally lonely
>>
>>82829922
>I will call anything a meme if they don't agree with me
>>
You gotta admit, OP, Qwark stole the show. And Nefarious wasn't a bad character to toss in there, either.
>>
>>82830345
Zootopia was a preachy mess. There were lots of good moments but there were also a lot of the "I need to explain the joke because god forbid anyone in the world doesn't get it" moments that plague all of our modern blockbusters.

It's not surprising people around here wouldn't like it. It's Tumblr incarnate.
>>
File: Talwyn_Apogee.jpg (198 KB, 717x1000) Image search: [Google]
Talwyn_Apogee.jpg
198 KB, 717x1000
>>82827879
>>82828016
That was the movie's biggest downfall. For many other animated family movies "playing it safe" works because their premises are usually inherently accessible to larger audiences. But Ratchet & Clank doesn't have that same mass appeal at a first glance, there needs to be something of substance there in order to find an audience. The games gained its fanbase due to its quality third person shooting and platforming, with it's humor and visuals and music being icing on the cake.

Say what you will about T.J. Fixman, but he's shown in the past to be fairly ambitious when it came to writing previous games in the R&C series, or at the very least dramatically more ambitious than the movie. If the movie had been written to be on the level of something like A Crack in Time, the movie might've been more successful (or at least gained a better critical reception).
>>
>>82832922
>If the movie had been written to be on the level of something like A Crack in Time, the movie might've been more successful (or at least gained a better critical reception).

I'm glad I'm not the only one that noticed that Crack in Time was the strongest game in terms of writing. I loved the dynamics Ratchet and Clank had with Azimuth and Orvus, and how the latter two were also foils of each other. The "feelsy" moments actually worked, the humor felt more like classic R&C, particularly with the Space Radio commercials, etc.
>>
>>82831904
How is it tumblr?
Why do people use tumblr as an adjective?
>>
>>82835329
Welcome to 4chan, newfag.
>>
>>82835401
At least I know better to use a name on an anonymous image board.
>>
>>82835329
People use "tumblr" as an adjective to describe something they don't like. Similarly in the way people use "/pol/", "hipster", "SJW", "gamer gator" "autistic", "reddit", "emo", "Gaia", "fedora", "Sonygger", "PCuck", "Nintoddler", and many others.
>>
>>82835424
Once you spend 8 years here, you'll learn ir doesn't even matter.
>>
>>82835133
>particularly with the Space Radio commercials

Space Radio was a great feature in general, but I love those commercials since some of them remind me of VTMB's radio commercials (at least as much as anything in an E10 rated game could remind me of VTMB).
>IN A WORLD, WHERE PEOPLE STEAL BABIES

I hope we get another R&C game that brings back how ACIT did space exploration. That shit is one of several reasons (one of the other reasons being the writing for the reasons you've mentioned) why that particular game is my third favorite game in the entire series.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5zVn93fl9I
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ywtRKaoiGU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H5Flvd6lAik
>>
File: CoWZ05t.gif (842 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
CoWZ05t.gif
842 KB, 480x270
>>82831904
>Le tumblr boogeyman
This meme needs to end
>>
File: 43242980423.jpg (13 KB, 235x191) Image search: [Google]
43242980423.jpg
13 KB, 235x191
This film was the final nail in the coffin for my hopes of video game movies, because this shit is fucking pointless
Even at it's very best, the only thing going through my head is "this shit is pointless, I could just as easily enjoy this as a cutscene or segment of gameplay in a video game, I don't need to watch a movie of a good game"
>>
>>82830147
This was a big part of it. I didn't even know it was out until my boyfriend said we were going to go see it. Hell, the theater didn't even have it up on the listings at the ticket stand, we only knew it was playing there because of online showtimes.

Not to say the movie was good.
>>
File: 1463005359049.png (411 KB, 583x496) Image search: [Google]
1463005359049.png
411 KB, 583x496
>>82836576
>yfw the Angry Birds movie is getting better reviews
>yfw Angry Birds has the best reviews of any video game movie ever
>>
The humor that works in the game while you're playing doesn't work as a film. It's not funny enough to be the driving force of everything, it's only amusing as background chatter while you shoot things. Also, the movie should have recast the leads, that faggot James Arnold Taylor should not be headlining a feature film.
>>
File: giphy.gif (229 KB, 500x382) Image search: [Google]
giphy.gif
229 KB, 500x382
>>82837019
>Angry Birds movie has a better score on Rotten Tomatoes than the Mortal Kombat movie

Lord help us all...
>>
>>82838085
We are truly living in the darkest timeline.
>>
>>82837019
>>82838085
That's a bit unfair since angry birds doesn't really have a story of large/nostalgic franchise behind. If it makes you feel better, the angry birds movie will most likely be quickly forgotten while other video game movies are still being remembered.
>>
>>82838835
There's also the fact that writing and "angry birds movie" is just like making any other cartoon film from zero, only with birds of certain colors. But besides that; you have no story, no development arc or characters that must be part of the adaptation, it was completely blank. And the target audience for Angry Birds is pretty much what producers try to aim their animated movies to anyway, so they really had nothing to struggle with.
>>
>>82838835
>while other video game movies are still being remembered.
That's a lie and you know it
>>
>>82840927
Well, they're remember by people like us.
>>
>>82837220

James is just fine, shut up.
>>
Having seen the film, it was alright, but nothing remarkable, yet not nearly as horrible as many say.

The biggest problem, as some have pointed out in the thread, is that it's "too safe". Ratchet doesn't have any kind of awakening or selfish breakdown, none of the planets destroyed see a loss of life, and the unique weapons only appear sporadically to the point they're only highlight is during the rather nice fight between Ratchet and Qwark.

Speaking of the Captain, while his fall from grace was a bit more substantial than "fading popularity", the execution certainly felt sloppy nonetheless. Qwark is celebrated one moment, then ignored another whenever Ratchet is near. And while this does give him better motivation to do evil rather than some spokesman deal that probably would have been canned by Drek after the new planet's completion, needed more buildup instead of the measly two scenes of him feeling upstaged. The confrontation was pretty good though, and really allowed Jim Ward to shine as Qwark, showing that when he's focused, the captain can be quite formidable.

Meanwhile, Nefarious has some entertaining moments, I don't disagree with the sentiment that he shouldn't have stolen Drek's role as the true villain. They could have easily have had him step in either before Drek initiates the final stage of the plan, or after Drek is beaten while maybe making a snarky comment about how businessmen don't match up to scientists on the villain scale.

Beyond that, the biggest flaw in the reboot overall are the new rangers. Elaris just barely has any depth, while Cora and Brax are just there. Doesn't help that they all just look like vague humanoids instead of being more varied like the Q-Force from Up Your Arsenal.
>>
>>82827784
And Sony fanboys are just finding this out after years of delusion
>>
>>82843681

What delusion? The series not being given marketing has nothing to do with it's popularity, which is just fine in the gaming realm as everyone knows about it.
>>
File: elaris.jpg (45 KB, 414x542) Image search: [Google]
elaris.jpg
45 KB, 414x542
At least Elaris had a great ass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2QgZxlPGptw
>>
I don't suppose anyone has found a link to watch the movie online?
>>
>>82837019

>Angry Birds is a casual game
>More people play casual games

It's not rocket surgery
>>
>tfw this dooms the Jak and Daxter movie
>>
File: 1460429506868.png (140 KB, 349x388) Image search: [Google]
1460429506868.png
140 KB, 349x388
>>82830808
>>
>>82845914

There never was going to be on.
>>
I'm pretty sure this killed the Sly Cooper movie. The hack that was supposed to direct it is doing something else instead.
>>
Haven't got around to seeing this movie yet. Haven't played the movie tie in game. My theatre has movie tickets for $4. Is it still not worth watching even on a really boring day?
>>
>>82827702
I just played through the HD collection, and although they are great games, they are NOT particularly funny. Certainly not the first two. There is a clear skill in game design that shows in all three games in the original trilogy, while the jokes will make you chuckle ... from time to time (at least by the third game. That was the funniest).

Ratchet and Clank is a lot more silly or goofy than it is funny, and a retread of the first games' plot does not necessarily a good film make
>>
File: 1461216366865.png (457 KB, 942x429) Image search: [Google]
1461216366865.png
457 KB, 942x429
>>82845795
>>
>>82846528
The original games were done at a time when programmers did pretty much all the writing and story and jokes. Which pretty clearly shows. Programmers are not particularly the funniest people on earth. They even starred in the commercials as far as I can tell, based on the programmer name drops in one of them.

By later games and the movies, they had actual writers, so the quality of the first game's jokes don't really have any bearing on the movie. Of course they went and made a shitty script anyway, but even so it's not bad because the first game was bad.
>>
>>82846521
You're better off just playing the game.
>>
>>82827702
is there torrent for this movie?
>>
>>82827702

Ratchet and clan are amazing games and one of my favourites from childhood that still hold up to this day. But dear god Ratchet and Clank were never really that mainstream or popular and I bet only 1 in 20 people have heard of them.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.