[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Was this one of the low points of superman?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /co/ - Comics & Cartoons

Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14
File: Superman702-016.jpg (408 KB, 1180x1330) Image search: [Google]
Superman702-016.jpg
408 KB, 1180x1330
Was this one of the low points of superman?
>>
>>82826982
Yeah, you show those space muslims Superman.
>>
That's actually kind of a cool idea for a Superman story.
>>
What's Superman's opposition?
They seem nice enough
>>
Yeah Grounded was trash.
>>
>>82826982
daww how could you tell a face like that to go back, more like superjerk
>>
>>82826982
That's not even the worst moment in the storyline.
Superman finds some druge dealers in suburbia, doesn't call the cops, burns all their stash, and then pic related happens.
>>
>>82826982
>>82828705
Same story? Who wrote it?
>>
File: 1444834135031.png (61 KB, 208x195) Image search: [Google]
1444834135031.png
61 KB, 208x195
>>82826982
>You tell him, Dokk

kek
>>
>>82828755
JMS before he was shitcanned and contained to Earth One
>>
>>82828705
How pissed would you be if you lived in the next town. crack heads moved in and superman could have locked them up but didnt
>>
>>82828705
>Superman tells a little kid to deliver a message to drug dealers
Why the hell doesn't he tell them himself? He's putting the kid in danger, they might decide to beat the crap out of him in retaliation for getting their stashes burnt.
>>
>>82828795
Huh. And for some reason I thought he's good writer.
>>
>>82828705
But Superman can be both HERE and OVER THERE with his vast array of superpowers, why doesn't he just go bust them up directly?
>>
>>82828705
I kinda get what the writer was going for.
Like, it's a "God helps those who help themselves" type message.
If everyone works hard to clean up their own patch the world, the entire world will take care of itself.

But it just kinda comes off as "Fuck everyone else who isn't me"
>>
Why doesn't Dokk have his own detective themed comic yet?
>>
>>82828923
>they might decide to beat the crap out of him in retaliation for getting their stashes burnt.

at best there beating the crap out of him more likely they murdered him
>>
>>82828982
Dokk: Pet Detective
>>
>>82828939
I didn't mind his Thor but he has been god awful at DC.
>>
>>82828988
Or sold him into some kind of slavery, or made him a part of their cartel through force.
>>
>>82826982
Here is Superman, a reporter, dealing with reporters asking questions he doesn't like, who are obvious strawmen of people criticizing the story's premise.
>>
>>82829143
At least Ultraman doesn't hide that he's one step away from depopulating Metropolis.
>>
File: roberson02.jpg (133 KB, 500x635) Image search: [Google]
roberson02.jpg
133 KB, 500x635
or Superman suppressing the press
>>
>>82829143
>"word"
This is somehow the most pathetic thing on the entire page
>>
>>82829204
Why is Superman threatening to murder a reporter?
>>
>>82829250
not any reporter that's Lois Lane
>>
>>82829204
Best part is that Lois Lane's story was about a plant that was polluting the environment and breaking regulations. The workers begged Superman to supress the story so they could keep their jobs.
Basically, Superman is a defender of "too big to fail" and doesn't care about truth and justice.
>>
>>82829214
Word
>>
File: Superman707-019.jpg (515 KB, 1160x1412) Image search: [Google]
Superman707-019.jpg
515 KB, 1160x1412
>>82829279
He told them to clean up better so I'm sure its fine
>>
>>82829204
grabbing her arm threateningly like that is also probably spousal abuse
>>
>>82829277
>>82829279
Why did the writer think this was good or plausible writing?
>>
>>82828101
Yeah and if they're entirely self-sufficient they don't need to "give back" to their community since they're not taking anything
>>
>>82829343
Because he was trying waaaay too hard to be the next Up, Up, and Away.
>>
>>82829143
How does this prove that Superman isn't a liar?
>>
>>82829313
Couldn't he just force Lex Luthor or some other smart guy to make the entire facility self-sufficient or atleast cleaner so the folks can still work there? This seems like a really, really lazy solution.
>>
>>82829444
If you call him on his lie, he'll kill you.
So since no one will ever confront him, everything he says must be the truth
>>
>>82829313
He really has no idea how industrial plants work. Or rather, the writer doesn't.
>>
>>82829444
that guy claimed Superman couldn't fly anymore, becauses he was walking across america
>>
>>82829456
Luthor wouldn't do it because he's a cunt who does nothing to help society but one of the other scientists like Mr Terrific could probably figure it out
>>
>>82829581
Did he really have to physically bully the guy to show he could fly? Couldn't he have just floated a foot off the ground?

Hell what if the fat bugger had a weak heart? He could have just killed him with that stunt.
>>
>>82829313
>>82829204
Why is Lois dressed like a hooker?
>>
>>82829620
It's a shit story, that's why.
>>
>>82829670
What was the point of this story overall?
>>
>>82829743
Stop trying to make me remember a shit story. Read it if you want to.
>>
>>82829743
I think DC just wanted a big name on the book to reset things a little after New Krypton (which ultimately wasn't bad but kind of lost steam halfway through) ended. Turns out that big name just couldn't deliver. Shit happens.
>>
>>82829143
Jesus, this is a slap in the face to what Superman should be.
>>
>>82829892
And yet people cried to get this Superman back instead of just telling them to fix new 52 Superman's status quo
>>
>>82829937
This is NOT Superman. This is JSM pissing in a jar and pretends it's wisdom. Grounded was so disgusting, that has not even been completed
>>
>>82830043
It's not what he should be, but it's canon to his story. Hopefully it just gets ignored though.
>>
>>82826982
Didn't this all start because a random woman blamed Superman for not curing her husband's inoperable brain tumor while he was out in space saving the world?
>>
>>82830318
Superman's not a brain surgeon, that is highly illogical.
>>
>>82830359
I know, and yet Superman felt so bad about it (he didn't seem to care about all the people that had just died in New Krypton) that he decided to do a walkabout across America to "reconnect with the people"
>>
File: grounded.jpg (234 KB, 584x874) Image search: [Google]
grounded.jpg
234 KB, 584x874
>you are a gun
>>
File: Superman4.png (875 KB, 627x860) Image search: [Google]
Superman4.png
875 KB, 627x860
>>82830318

Sadly that's exactly what happend
>>
File: SupermanGrounded 008.jpg (420 KB, 939x1452) Image search: [Google]
SupermanGrounded 008.jpg
420 KB, 939x1452
This arc really was bad
>>
>>82830318
Wait is >>82830901 her problem really that Superman didn't save her husband from a brain tumor?

Not an industrial accident, natural catastrophe, or alien invasion but a tumor?
>>
>>82830901
Random women coming up and bitching at you over bullshit related to their dead family member is EVERY superheroes kryptonite.

Remember during Civil War and that bitch that was all MUH BABBY at Stark? Though I'm pretty sure he ended up fucking her after he went full Iron Fascist.
>>
>>82831080
I laughed during that scene in theaters

I half expected his mom to say that "his life mattered"
>>
>>82830943
What kind of answer is that?
He didn't adress any of the points this guy raised and instead went on a rant about a guy who spent one night in jail for refusing to pay his taxes as an act of political protest. What Superman is doing has nothing to do with Thoreau.
>>
I want to know how many people died whIle superman was doing a walk about
>>
>>82831195

Superman kind of just named dropped during this arc. It's kind of like he just learned who these people were
>>
>>82831197
About the same number as when he's fucking Lois
>>
>>82831263
>When they YOU ARE SPECIAL childhood indoctrination comes crashing down
>>
>>82831263
Seriously? THAT'S what Superman tells a suicidal girl?
And why is that cop so confused? Isn't it standard procedure to have a psychologist try and talk with a jumper?
>>
>>82831272
Hey at least when he's fucking Lois someones getting something out of it, this is just Superman being a douchebag sniffing his own farts and starting shit with random people
>>
File: sup_700_008.png (400 KB, 434x525) Image search: [Google]
sup_700_008.png
400 KB, 434x525
>>82830979
Yup just a person with brain tumor
>>
>>82831415
Couldn't the writer have made it something a little less retarded? Very easily?

Sorry lady, but mankind's fucking babysitter was too busy to brainscan every human on earth
>>
>>82831474

Yeah even if he wasn't off planet he probably wasn't going to operate on him anyway
>>
>>82831527
Yeah how was he supposed to use his heat vision to magically excise the tumor anyway?
>>
>>82829620
his superpower is that he's always morally right, even when he's wrong
>>
It's not even as if Superman left them without someone watching over them while he was on New Krypton. Mon-El was there in Metropolis specifically for this reason and there's the dozens of other superheroes in existence on Earth. The entire concept is irrational.
>>
And why just America? Why isn't Superman going around the world to all the neglected areas that need his help? That would certainly be a better way to reconnect with humanity than walking around American suburbs.
>>
>>82829313
I don't get it. Is the writer deliberately trying to break the premise of Superman, or does he think this is good writing?
>>
>>82831713
>Implying anywhere other than America matters in the whole multiverse.
>>
>>82829143
>>82829204
>>82829313

Holy shit. They could've just called this storyline Superdick instead of Grounded. Like, Superman is one step away from just lobotomizing somebody for littering.
>>
>>82828705
This shit is hilarious.

Why the fuck did DC ever give JMS Earth One after this bullshit?
>>
>>82831713
>Why just America
Because this is a damn American comicbook written by Americans
>>
The biggest tragedy was this was the last arc of pre-flash point
>>
>>82832176
There was a shitty Doomsday crossover too, or was that only in the other books?
>>
>>82830943
That has got to be one of the dumbest non-answers I've heard.
How does that explain why Superman is walking across America instead of helping people? Is Superman saying that random glasses guy should do a walkabout too?
>>
>>82831651
That's Batman.
>>
>>82830943
Anyone has the Kryptonite edit?
>>
>>82828705
>wanting the cops and Feds to handle drugs instead of leaving drug users alone

What are you, some kind of bootlicker?
>>
>>82829250
>Murder

Grounded was a bad story but that's kind of a stretch.
>>
>>82831564
hasnt he done
>hurr I can heat vision through your eyes to lobotomize your brain
multiple times already?
>>
>>82831415
Jesus christ lad. A planet of SUPERMEN was created. The man had shit to deal with
>>
>>82826982
This is moronic. If they're selling gold to people then that's absolutely providing a service, and finding lost pets is more than valuable enough to provide for the living expenses of a handful of aliens. Especially "self-sufficient" ones.
>>
This is as bad or maybe even worse than myspace captain america
>>
>>82830465
Idea was not bad. The realization, however, is among the worst things written by Straczynski, definitely Sin Past level.
>>
>>82828939
>>82829024

I thinks that he doesn't feel confortable working on DC's universe. His works on Marvel is really good, though.
>>
>>82834840
I believe that the sense "distorted" of the scene was : Okey, welcome to America, but you can't just live here. You must do something for this country, to pay our hospitality.
>>
I never understood.
Why is Superman such a bitch about being a kyptonian..?
I mean he grew up on Earth with Earth parents that gave him an amazing childhood and love him as their own.
Yet he whines and bitches about how he is of another world and is not human, and constantly wishes that he could live on krypton and that he never lived on Earth.
Why?
I mean he should be almost a regular Earthling yet all he does is bitch about how great Krypton was.
Example his greatest desire was to be a kryptonian
>>
>>82835179
That's more of an older thing. In modern stuff it gets treated more as an adoptive kid just wanting to learn about where he came from but not actively thinking of himself as non-human.
>>
>>82835179
That's because Krypton is basically space Israel.

Not really, what he wishes for is to live a normal life free of the responsibility of saving the world all the time.
>>
File: 1280746033409.jpg (351 KB, 650x1406) Image search: [Google]
1280746033409.jpg
351 KB, 650x1406
>>82833569
On it.
>>
>>82835299
>oh whoa whoa
kek

Thank you, friendo.
>>
>>82835281
Then why not just live as a normal human a real son to John and MARTHA!!!
rather than wanting to live on a planet unknown to him. That he basically shills for saying that Earth has a long way to go compared to Krypton
>>
>>82828705
This is why Gotham's a shit hole, Superman keeps pushing all the lowlife's there for Batman to deal with.
>>
>>82835179
Because the original writers were immigrants. The problem with them is that they knew their birth country, and so it is normal that they were attached to it.

Superman, however, has never known Krypton, so all this attachment is incredibly false. Moore's story works well because in the Silver Age, Superman was not so tied up with Lois. In the post-Crisis, Superman would have dreamed of living on earth, powerless.

This anon >>82835267 says proper
>>
>>82835179
Don't most adopted kids have a hang up about meeting their biological parents?
If Clark was a human adopted from some African shit hole before the country imploded, he'd be the guy dressing up in traditional African robes, change his name to Kwame and always going on about getting in touch with his African heritage while his parents nod along and support his bullshit.
>>
>>82826982
Back when ComicsAlliance was still somewhat good, they did a pretty amazing takedown of this comic.

>The problem with making Thoreau a generic patron of holier-than-thouness, though, is that it ignores that his principles weren’t generic. He wasn’t against abstract “injustice.” He had very specific political reasons — opposition to slavery and to the Mexican-American War — for not paying his taxes, and his actions and public statements were stridently against the prevailing attitudes of the general populace. He spoke out in defense of John Brown, for crying out loud, a man who encouraged armed insurrection against the U.S., who killed slave-owners in American territories, and who most of America considered a terrorist and a murderer. Thoreau may have only spent one night in jail, but it was the result of some pretty heavy, risky opinions.

>What are Superman’s great controversial moral stands in Straczynski’s run? Well, he’s not fond of drug dealers, he’s against illegal immigration unless America gets something out of it, he’s for sweetheart government deals for corporations to jumpstart the economy, and he thinks child abuse is just awfully tacky. WAY TO GO OUT ON A LIMB, BIG GUY. You’re such a maverick. Superman isn’t the principled outsider in these comics. He’s the roving monitor of the status quo.
>>
>>82835597
The funny thing is that if he didn't have powers, Earth would have been destroyed a long time ago. What he wishes for is for someone else to do his job, and since that's a selfish thought, he can't go along with it.

>>82835652
>He wasn’t against abstract “injustice.”
Too bad that's exactly how Superman is always written.
>>
>>82835712
The guy's point was that you can't just use Thoreau as a shield and go "He did it so I can too!", because Thoreau was actively protesting against specific things. Superman slacking off his job because "uh there's a whole lotta bad shit in the world today like injustice and stuff" just makes him look like a spud.
>>
File: image.jpg (66 KB, 457x628) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
66 KB, 457x628
>>82831651
Batman, anon. I know they're both invincible and can beat anyone, but there's a difference.
>>
>>82835712
>What he wishes for is for someone else to do his job,

Naaahh. if it was just like that, there would be another "Superman" in his dream. Clark just dreams of being "normal" in a "normal" world. Only this.
>>
>>82829420
See if it had actually been like Up, Up, and Away and focused on Clark the reporter, husband, etc to reconnect to humanity maybe it would have been not shit
>>
>>82835862
Oh, I agree, the fault's on Grounded for doing the "what if Superman got, like, political, man" and then only delivering incredibly weak stuff.

>>82835941
So Superman is a cape comic character that wants to live in the real world? DC Earth isn't "normal" by any measure.
>>
>>82835901
Whoa that fox character looks bad ass
>>
>>82835959
It was an interesting idea, just very poorly executed.
>>
>>82831195
>What kind of answer is that?

The answer meant; "You get to tell me I should be a hero, but if justice is what you stand for, why not uphold it yourself?" With the assumed implication that "Even If I had great power I am still just a mortal, risking it out there and at some point it became an obligation".

Obviously this is not the classic superman that doesn't care about something so minor on the face of danger to others, especially a danger he could do something about, but the analogy was there, and to be honest anyone on Superman position would had the right to make that claim, even if it would mean he wasn't as heroic as you expected the character to be.

It also wasn't the best way to use that story at all, or even a good way of using it. There were several other, much better, analogies to be used.

All in all, it's not perfect but It seems to me like people are missing the point of his answer, and I don't think that's the real tangent to tackled the issues of the comic at.
>>
>>82836112
>"You get to tell me I should be a hero, but if justice is what you stand for, why not uphold it yourself?"
How does he know this random guy isn't doing everything he can with his limited reach to make the world a better place?
>>
>>82836167

I am not him, dude, I am not a mind reader either. I was just interpreting what was told there.

In context you could say he was telling the jogger; "How about you go save the world, if it needs saving?", which leaves less to be a guess, no need for superman to be cynistic on top of behaving like an idiot, but honestly there is no saving the fact that he wasn't much like we expect superman to be on that conversation.

If I had to guess the writer was aiming for a "Super*MAN* is a *MAN* too, and not just Super"
The way I see it he fucked up because what makes Superman great is that he is not just any man that is capable of flight, but rather one that stands up to anything. Otherwise he would just be the powers.
>>
>>82829456
It wouldn't even be factory workers doing the polluting. That decision would be made by higher ups. Did it even show how talking with the plant manager or owner.
>>
>>82829393
Why don't they just set up on the moon then? Not like we're using it, I doubt anybody would mind.
>>
>>82836971
It's nicer down here.
Thread replies: 115
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.